Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tupping Liberty posted:

Is anyone planning or or did anyone already make a thread for White Collar? Is anyone watching it this season?

I didn't even realize White Collar was back until my TiVo recorded the season premiere. In fact, I didn't even remember I had a season pass set up.

It's pretty much like any other USA show: enjoyable until you get like three seasons in and realize that every week is pretty much exactly the same. The arc where you weren't sure if Neil was actually gonna betray Suit or not was pretty awesome, but then it just went back to the status quo (or did it? Last thing I remember was the warehouse full of Nazi treasure... though maybe that was before the betrayal arc? I honestly can't remember).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lugaloco posted:

Yeah after the "Fly" episode of Breaking Bad I started paying attention to him. Rian going on to do the "Fifty-One" and above all "Ozymandias" episodes as well as Looper has solidified him as someone to look out for in the future.

Watch Brick and the episode of Terriers Rian directed (actually, watch Terriers, period).

[Edit: for some reason I thought he directed the "Change Partners" episode of Terriers, but he didn't. The episode he did direct--"Manifest Destiny"--is also excellent.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 23, 2013

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davincie posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440292/
Richard Ayoade is pretty drat decent too.

As much as I like him in front of the camera, he really is a fantastic director. I'm assuming you linked to Submarine; TV-wise, Ayoade directed the excellent My Dinner With Andre episode of Community.

Jay Chandra---Chandr---The Indian guy from Broken Lizard mostly does TV comedy direction these days, with pretty consistent results. I was actually a little disappointed to see he didn't return for Arrested Development season four, though I can see why he didn't given the bizarre shooting and editing schedule.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Severely disappointed this isn't called Nookie.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pumped about the Marvel/Netfix deal... Though it does it eliminate even more heroes from appearing in S.H.E.I.L.D (I'm assuming different continuities). I wonder if the series are going to take place concurrently or one after another?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShadowMoo posted:

Any good sci-fi dramas released in the past 2 years

No. And it sucks. Syfy really pushed two mediocre shows--Stargate Universe* and Caprica--on us. When people didn't watch them because they were, well, mediocre, they axed all non-canadian sci-fi shows. And no one else bothered with science fiction to start with.

*I actually really enjoyed SGU season 2, but I understand I'm in the minority there.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 13, 2013

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainHollywood posted:

From the creators of Eastbound and Down and Archer comes...

Chozen

http://www.brobible.com/entertainment/article/chozen-fxs-animated-comedy

I've never seen a preview so... bizarre? I dunno how to describe it. While I can see influences on both shows (unlikable dickish main character) it still distances itself from both without coming across like a ripoff/clone on either.(try and learn Seth) I'm a fan of both Eastbound and Archer so I'll definitely give this a shot.

I'm sold.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like X-Files would work best if watched on old worn out VHS tapes with the occasional tracking issue.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

With the parade on in the background while I help with the cooking, I have to say that every time I see a promo for NBC's "Sound of Music: Live" or whatever, I keep thinking it's some sort of 30 Rock gag.

It doesn't help that Carrie Underwood looks a little like Jane Krakowski, and that I think I'm at the point where I need glasses.

I actually thought "Man, I hope that when 30 Rock comes back in January they have an episode where Liz is forced to do a live musical in a blatant, pandering attempt to pull in ratings." It would be a perfect excuse to do a musical episode too, which was the one television cliche they hadn't gotten around to yet.

And then I remembered that the show ended nearly a year ago. :smith:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Holy poo poo. Part of me wants to see that trainwreck play out, but a much larger part of me is glad I gave up shortly after that hilariously stupid business with the gay kid moving in with his very not gay crush for reasons in season 2.

That was the final straw for me. I couldn't get over at how badly that whole situation was handled.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you haven't been watching South Park, they just wrapped up a trilogy of Black Friday/Game of Thrones parody episodes. Not quite as good as Imagineland was, but still quite good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

Even that very episode consisted of a bunch of movie and pop culture references that easily rival any given Family Guy episode. I don't know why people still consider that a "smart" show when anything it has resembling a message has been some half-baked lolbertarian garbage for years.

Yeah, the episode a few weeks ago mocking Obamacare is a good example of that. "We knew Obamacare wasn't going to work even though we waited until it failed in some regard to say so." :smuggo:

Mister Mackey sobbing in the cafeteria still got a good laugh out of me though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boogaleeboo posted:

Lower budget? It had legitimate Muppets. Yeah season 1 could be a bit rough, but they picked up quality from season 2 on. It's a great show, and everyone should give it a chance.

I'm always annoyed when shows have bad recurring CGI aliens when a perfectly good puppet would more than suffice and probably cost less. I respect Farscape and the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy movie for their use of puppet aliens.

It probably helps that Jim Henson's Creature Shop did an outstanding job on both.

[Edit: Holy poo poo, JHCS didn't do the Muppets for the 2011 movie? How on earth did they lose that bid?]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 8, 2013

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
TV IV Couch Chat: Whinin' About Whedon, Harping on About Hardwick, Fighting About Felicia.

...Felicia Day isn't terrible, but is usually used/casted badly. I hope she gets cast as Wasp in whichever Marvel movie features Wasp, as I think she'd be a good fit. Hardwick seems genuine and someone who loves what he's doing, but doesn't really have a personality beyond "super excited fanboy" (see also: Jimmy Fallon). And Whedon... Whedon is a generally capable writer who leans on goofy dialog and shock deaths (Joyce, Wash, Penny, Coulson) a bit more than he should. That said, he does understand the mediums of Film and Television really, really well (being a third generation screenwriter will lead to that) and so I generally find anything he works on worth the price of admission. Except Firefly. Firefly did nothing for me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junkenstein posted:

There are non-goofy episodes of Dr Who?

Every episode has a bit of cheesiness/goofiness, but some swing more serious than others. Moffat's run is significantly less goofy than Rusty's (no farting aliens or Tinkerbell schemes, thank Christ) but at the risk of getting too self-important/pretentious. Moffat's run started off allright--I recently rewatched the first two Matt Smith series and save for the Hungry Earth two parter it's actually a pretty fantastic run of television. The most recent series (both halves) were pretty dissapointing and felt like Moffat had big ideas for both but ultimately did not set them up properly and thus fell flat.

We'll see how the next series goes, but if he can't figure out how to make Clara a real character and not just a manic pixie dream companion I may wait to revisit Doctor Who until a new showrunner (likely Mark Gatiss) takes the reins.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 18, 2013

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

Exactly. And their Windows 8 app is shite and never works.

I actually really like Netflix's Windows 8 app. My only complaints are that I haven't found a way to view a list of individual episodes of a show without starting an episode first and that even super HD is apparently only 720p (which I think is true for all their interfaces, but it's only really noticeable on my desktop because it's the only 1080p screen I have).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

In other news, I just totally cried during the latest episode of Sherlock. Well loving done, Cumberbatch.

Yeah, that was probably the best best man speech I've seen anywhere. When he was being sincere, at least.

I know the thread wasn't too hot on the episode (and there were some flaws, such as the victim being painfully obvious) but I thought it was decently clever and overall a contender for my favorite episode of the show.

It also had the side effect of feeling like a series finale, which I guess it is, in a way--with the way the episode ends, the status quo of the show has probably been effected enough that it simply won't be quite the same show again.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Seemed like a fair question. Why is she naked all the time if it adds nothing to the story?

Not to really be defending Judd's reaction (it was over the top) but I feel like he has a point. No one ever complains about the T&A in Boardwalk Empire or Game of Thrones, so why are people making such a big deal about Leah being nude in Girls?

[Edit: I mean, I know why. Leah isn't conventionally attractive, especially compared to the nudity in Game Of Thrones, so it's a whole undercurrent of "EEEW look at this ugly woman not being ashamed of her body" though the complaining. To be fair, the reporter is right--people would probably react the same way if Louie C.K. was frequently naked on his show.]

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/The show pretty much popularized sexposition, which has been used successfully in many, many shows since. There's been a bit of backlash, but I think you'll find far more people happy with the nudity in GoT than unhappy about it. South Park notwithstanding.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 11, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm more surprised at all the chauvinist goons claiming she gets naked on camera as a way of forcing audiences to look upon her gross body, asymmetrical and with multiple aesthetically displeasing fat deposits, inconsistent in its attractiveness. Truly she is a TV Terrorist.

If I came across as saying this, I apologize, as that's not at all what I meant. I don't think of her as gross at all--after all, I could be described as asymmetrical with aesthetically displeasing fat deposits. Pot, kettle, black.

I think it's honestly near impossible to know why exactly she gets naked in Girls, but I'd be willing to bet that Division Post is pretty drat close. It's to create discussions. And like every talking point, the good, bad, and the ugly will come out to have their say about it

I'd like to think I'm part of the good but then again I'm a white cis privileged male so :v:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

I apologize, I know we're moving on and I hate to pull us back into this morass, but something needs to be made clear.

I like you, and I know you mean well, but don't twist my words. When I talk about "creating discussions," I mean it in a general sense; race on TV, society's views of women, the "plight" of the millennial, our expectations of writers with non-traditional viewpoints, etc. These are all good discussions to have, if we can manage to breathe through them and not get so angry and/or sarcastic with each other.

However, there's no reason -- none -- for anyone outside of her family or her closest circle of friends to speculate on why Lena Dunham herself is willing to act without any clothes on, and even then the reasons are very few and personal. If you want to talk about what artistic effect this has on the show -- and this is what you probably meant but you just phrased it poorly -- that's fair game. But the things that actors and artists are or are not willing to do for their work are rooted deep in their personality, and as such, belong to them.

This is why I shouldn't post at 2:30 in the morning. I'm bad enough at conveying what I'm trying to say in general; insomnia does not help.

You're absolutely correct of course. It's not any of our place or evaluate or discuss (or, to stop mincing words, judge, because that is ultimately what we are doing, judging) Lena Dunham for choosing to be naked. Even to discuss it from an artistic sense is very difficult, because what it means to be naked--and see others naked--is a unique and different situation for everybody, and we all end up bringing the worst of our fears and hangups and perversions to the table with the discussion. The only way out of that is to, well, make nudity less taboo, and perhaps that's what Lena's artistic intent is.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shageletic posted:

Side-stepping the hell out of this conversation, but what good shows are back from the winter break. Other than New Girl?

Brooklyn 99, @Midnight, Community, Person of Interest, Hannibal [edit: Hannibal is back February 28th, so not that soon, actually] and Sherlock.

[Edit: beaten on two shows, but they bear repeating]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 12, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh my bad, for some reason I read the date as January 28th. Which in retrospect makes no sense because the 28th is a tuesday.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, I forgot that Archer's back on Monday. Parks and Rec is back too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

So uh, Intelligence is literally PoI with Sawyer.

[Edit: \/\/\/ oh okay, nm then]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 12, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sober posted:

Episodic doesn't mean procedural but also nearly all the shows on that list that are serial are also episodic in nature, because TV is episodic in nature. That's why there are cliffhangers or the last minutes are always downtime even in a serialized show (or I am guessing in GOT why episodes end when and how they do vs. how the pacing in the books flow).

It's not a study of episodic television, it's a course for writing episodic TV, as in I will end up writing a bunch of fake TV scripts, loglines, trying to pitch poo poo and all that. I doubt much time will be done :spergin: about every detail about TV Canon. That's what TV/IV is for!

I had a class just like this when I was in college and it was loads of fun.

My spec script was an episode of HIMYM (circa season... three? four?) where Barney's doppleganger shows up and pretends to be him while Barney is handcuffed to a radiator. It ended with Ted realizing he was still in love with Robin. I'm not proud of it, but it did get me an A and I think my professor (who worked with a few studios and had a ton of connections) actually sent it in to a few agents for me. Never heard back, of course.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bobkatt013 posted:

He also gave speeches. Lots of stupid obvious speeches.

When that new iPad Air commercial first came on I wracked my brain trying to figure out which episode of Heroes Apple had lifted it from.

Then I recognized Robin Williams' voice.

That's right, Heroes forever associated uplifting voiceover narration with itself in my mind because they used it so drat much.

[Edit: It helps that Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society does kinda sound like Mohinder.]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrAristocrates posted:

How's Leverage? I've had it on my Netflix queue for a while but know next to nothing about it.

It's a TNT show, which should tell you all you need to know about it.

It's nothing transcendent, but it is a fun show about fun criminals with some serious dramatic moments along the way. If you like White Collar or Burn Notice, you'll probably like Leverage.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GraPar posted:

Although a totally different kind of show other than being animated, Steven Universe had been consistently phenomenal in many different ways all of this season.

I completely agree. The second episode of Steven Universe is still the best, but they've done a very good job of making an otherwise unremarkable concept (it's essentially a magical girl show, except it's a magical boy instead) into something new and worth watching and the setting and characters are just the right amount of bizarre without going to far with it (a trap Adventure Time falls into sometimes).

Last week's episode, Tiger Millionaire, was a pretty good example of that (the title makes... slightly more sense in context).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like it kinda already is playing to an adult audience. The David Bowie ripoff homage theme song, the dark aspect of Stephen's backstory (his mother died giving birth to him and he was basically raised by her friends because his dad is a total deadbeat), and some of the jokes are definitely designed to play to an older audience.

It does play to all ages better than Adventure Time does, though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TVIV goons posted:

Two whole pages of 24 insanity

Allright, fine, I'll give 24 a try.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

They're called "graphic novels" god drat it!

Seriously though, give me an HBO-produced high-budget Sandman adaptation. Like, fuckin' yesterday. Hardly anyone even knows what Preacher is, though I agree the basic plot outline is a pretty sweet idea for a show.

That's unlikely to happen since JGL just got tapped for a Sandman movie.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

I was going to watch Sarah Connor Chronicles relatively soon.
I lost people very close to me in 9/11 and its a sensitive subject for me sometimes.
I know the internet is filled with "edgy" people who like to make jokes at the expense of 9/11 because it will offend people like me.
Is there something in the show I should avoid or prepare for?

It's not making a joke at the people who died's expense; it's a realistic--if perhaps slightly callus--explanation by two minor characters about what happened to someone who time traveled past it happening. The two characters aren't the kind of people you'd want to go really go to for that sort of information (since their emphasis is, as the .gif suggests, on the spectacle, not the human loss), but I don't think it's disrespectful, per se. The main character they tell it to certainly recognizes the true meaning of the event, at least.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 15, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Cool, thanks. I figured as much but I just wasn't sure since, well, you know the kind of comedy some people do about 9/11 and the way some internet posters fall all over themselves to praise it.

Here's the scene in question, if you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzzYhuhOxo&t=27s

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

The Sarah Connor Chronicles is many times better than any of the movies that came before or after it.

The original Terminator is a masterpiece that is probably the ONLY film that would truely benefit from redoing a special effects scene (the puppet does the Terminator no justice).

T2 is a decently good film, but suffered from trying to make everything different and, to a smaller extent, :kickinrad:

T3 is mostly terrible, but is almost completely redeemed by its ending.

T4 I have not seen.

I'd say that T:TSSC is better than everything else in the franchise than the first movie, and even then it's a tossup.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 15, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HorseRenoir posted:

Hey, do you guys like "Heroes"? No?

Well, NBC's got some news for you!

Where does it come from? This quest, this need to relive terrible choices when the greatest of shows can never be renewed. Why are we still here? What is pilot season? Why do we dream that we are still worth watching? Perhaps we’d be better off not trying at all. Not greenlighting, not spec-reading. That’s NBC's nature. The network's heart. That is why we are back.

H E R O E S

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

This one hits me extra hard because the Ghostbusters movie basically was my childhood. Everyone has that one movie or whatever that defined their childhood. Ghostbusters was mine. I used to watch the VHS every day during summer breaks when I was little.

Wayne's World for me, I've probably seen the film over 70 times and still haven't gotten tired of it.

I still can't get over the fact that there will be Heroes on TV again in TYOL 2015.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spatula City posted:

The Middleman is still the most unjust and horrible cancellation in a long and storied history of terrible TV cancellations. :smith:

I used to think that, but I've come to a different conclusion: I'm glad that someone picked it up, even if it was only for a season. It's the kind of show that no channel exec in their right mind would greenlight, but those crazy bastards at ABC Family did anyway.

And then almost immediately realized their mistake and realigned their sights on middling dramas for teenage girls.

Terriers remains the most unjust cancellation, especially considering that FX is now floundering for content for their two networks.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Postal Parcel posted:

So a show produced by Whedon, written by G.R.R.Martin, directed by Dan Harmon, special effects by J.J. Abrams, set in the marvel universe, containing zombies and ponies, set on a farm and then a prison.
Also each episode has a minimum of 2 scenes of Lena Dunham naked in a bathtub eating cake while singing the Portal song for good measure.

Dan's honestly probably a better editor than director. Put Hurwitz in the director's chair and then we'll talk. :colbert:

[Edit: Seriously though there's only one thing that I have an issue with in that paragraph. If you were to take it out I would, completely unironically, watch the everloving poo poo out of that show.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 11, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Huh, I really didn't expect them to pick up all four.

[Edit: instead of reading my shittily worded options, you should read the AV Club's review of the shows which I'm almost in 100% agreement with (I think they were a little too forgiving of Bosch, but oh well.]

So it's going to be, what, nine months until they release the seasons of the shows?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

For every William Gibson, there are a thousand GRRMs.

For every Rectify, there are a thousand 2 Broke Girls.

Isn't there a name for that? Besides "90% of everything is crap", I mean.

I'm not sure there is, though I'm tempted to call it "Lorre's Law".

• Locked thread