Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

C-Euro posted:

Has there been a worse name for a show than "Super Fun Night" in recent memory? My girlfriend got into it recently and the name makes me think it's some kind of Adventure Time spinoff/ripoff, not a show about actual adult humans.

I thought "Bunheads" was a pretty terrible name. I guess Super Fun Night having a terrible name is appropriate since it's also a terrible show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Was the Toy Story Halloween special any good?

I liked it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Clearly kids don't watch Homeland, so did they do all this for random adults to watch on the internet for no reason?

They show these things on Sesame Street, presumably because adults often have to watch this stuff with their kids. They've done parodies of Mad Men and True Blood too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Well I saw Daniel Tosh's butthole tonight.

That sounds like your average episode of Tosh.0.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lycus posted:

I wonder if The DENNIS System or The Gang Buys A Boat are good to watch if you haven't been watching long enough to "get" Dennis.

The Gang Broke Dee and Storm of the Century are good Creepy Dennis episodes too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gonz posted:

I didn't know that Guy Fieri's hair required anything more than bleach, Elmer's Glue and sunglasses.

That ain't glue in that hair.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Who won baseball?

Everybody won! Because it's loving over for a few glorious months.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Deadpool posted:

Dylan McDermott/Dermot Mulroney

I love you for this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

Looks like Sandra Bullock is "the people's Claire Danes" this year.

Gravity was a really good movie. And my heart still belongs to her.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

futurememory posted:

Just curious, are you hate-watching, or actively enjoying it?

Don't feel ashamed, I watched both seasons of Love in the Wild and was pretty upset when NBC refused to renew it this past summer. If you can't admit that you sometimes watch poo poo TV, you're probably lying. :colbert:

I always feel weird when I hear about shows I never knew existed on channels I regularly watch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm a nerd and I have no idea who iron Fist, Luke Cage or Jessica Jones are.

Luke Cage is basically Black Dynamite.

Deadpool posted:

No it's not.

It is if you replace Doom in those frames with a woman in a bear suit.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

This Alias you guys are talking about is not related to that lousy Jennifer Garner TV show, right?

lelandjs posted:

I'm pumped about the Marvel/Netfix deal... Though it does it eliminate even more heroes from appearing in S.H.E.I.L.D (I'm assuming different continuities). I wonder if the series are going to take place concurrently or one after another?

It's not like they're ever going to have any major superheroes in the SHIELD show, and that's assuming they'll even have minor superheroes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

soapgish posted:

Those shades were the absolute coolest back in the day.

No. Those shades were never cool. It is probably the one thing people remember the most about A Different World, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gonz posted:

We get it, Doug Benson. You like weed.

We get it.

Doug Benson : weed :: Chris Hardwick : nerd poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

The only TV show that accurately represents what being drunk is actually like is Drunk History.

Almost every show gets all that poo poo wrong, and it's so annoying - like earlier with the Doug Benson thing, I refuse to believe being high actually makes him act like that. He's just acting like stoned people are "supposed" to act, when the reality is that most people who smoke pot on a daily basis don't actually act different when they're stoned.

It's funny too, because the Drunk History thread is full of people complaining that the people aren't "drunk enough" for their linking.

bad day posted:

See, Tsunamis are something that happens in Asia, which is where anime is made.

In Japan CN has a block of western shows called "Carturricane"

No no, it's "Toonado."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

^^^
That's the one that was a former blues bar, right? I don't remember much of it but what strikes you as fake?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I don't watch many late night talkshows anymore, but the creator of Minecraft was on Craig Ferguson last night and good lord is it a testament to the Ferguson's ability that he didn't just implode when confronted by computer nerd awkwardness compounded by Notch being ESL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIAZDg6yww

Boy, he tried really hard to keep that interview going. I can't believe he managed to stretch that out to 10 minutes.
I guess this interview answers this question, but does "the guy who made minecraft" really have enough star power to make it onto late night talk shows?

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 9, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

piratepilates posted:

Him and his company make money hand over fist, enough so that there's big conventions about Minecraft. He's not big enough to be on something like Letterman but making it on Ferguison doesn't seem that strange.

Well sure he makes lots of money, but there are plenty of filthy rich people that are not interesting enough to rate a talk show interview. I sure as poo poo wouldn't want to see an interview with those Penny Arcade goobers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

What's the final word on Chuck?

It's pretty decent up to the final season, which a lot of people here seemed to like but I thought was total crap.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ufarn posted:

It bothers me that Yvonne Strahovski still hasn't had an opportunity to show what a great actress she is. She was so drat good on Chuck.

I think the most work she or Awesome have gotten since Chuck was a voice acting role on one of those terrible Lego TV movies.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm glad I don't have the problem most of you seem to have with dropping lovely shows. There is so much good stuff on TV right now that I can barely keep up with, why would you want to waste your time watching something you hate?

soapgish posted:

I still think he should have landed that one big role he was up for, some old guy that looks a lot younger named Steve Rogers :smith:

He didn't have a chance, Chris Evans had way too much experience playing characters in comic book movies.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bad day posted:

Chuck felt a lot like Scrubs to me, in that around the third season they actually started repeating jokes and situations from previous episodes.

Anyone else like @midnight? Despite the internetinternetinternet part of it the show is actually really funny. It's introduced me to a couple comedians (like that Che guy) I'd never heard of before.

If you want to get sick of Michael Che really fast, watch Best Week Ever (if it hasn't been cancelled again already).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BigRed0427 posted:

So what's the deal with Adam Devine's House Party? Did Workaholics get canceled?

The deal seems to be that it's a couple of 3-minute comedy sets surrounded by 20 minutes of Adam Devine saying and doing really unfunny poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

lelandjs posted:

No. And it sucks. Syfy really pushed two mediocre shows--Stargate Universe* and Caprica--on us. When people didn't watch them because they were, well, mediocre, they axed all non-canadian sci-fi shows. And no one else bothered with science fiction to start with.

*I actually really enjoyed SGU season 2, but I understand I'm in the minority there.

Orphan Black doesn't count as sci-fi?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

At what point did the people who go mad over PoI start to feel like that? I'm 6 or 7 episodes in they witness episode and it's enjoyable enough, but nothing mind blowing. It still has that 'network' feel of ensuring people can jump in at anytime which grates and not enough arc compared to crime of the week. Scandal dealt with that by about this point so I'm hoping PoI does it too, because at the moment watching another 16 episodes or so just to finish a season feels like it might be a slog without much payoff.

Episode 4 is the one most people quote as the "turning point." I liked it from the first episode, but thought it really picked up after the episode where they introduce Elias. It gets more serialized as it goes along but never heavily so, I don't know why people still act like that should be treated like some kind of black mark.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

It's drama.

It's TV to bring you down when you're having too good of a day.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I purposely avoid watching TV shows because of positive buzz, deal with it :smugbert:

precision posted:

Some extremely special stuff ends up happening, it just so happens that said stuff made me go "oh for gently caress's sake" and stop watching.

The Machine loving literally calls a woman in a mental hospital because she worships it or whatever.

Seems to me that you just have a comprehension problem, since this is not what happens at all.
I don't know how you could even mistaken this for what actually happens if you were paying the slightest amount of attention.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 13, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

He doesn't want to watch it, let him not watch it. He's not missing out on sucking God's cock or anything guys.

I don't really give a poo poo if he wants to watch it or not, but you don't have to make up half-assed reasons to justify yourself, just don't watch it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

xeria posted:

I don't see anything half-assed about what he said. It was just "this thing happened, I didn't like it, so I stopped watching." Just because you don't like that this thing directly led to him no longer wanting to watch the show doesn't make it an invalid reason.

Well, the fact that half of his statement was plain incorrect aside, I was referring more to the people who are saying they won't watch Popular Show specifically because it is a popular show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lycus posted:

So do we yet know if Comedy Central is cool with this and he's gonna get a goodbye segment? Or are they not, and he's just gonna disappear from the Daily Show with maybe a brief comment from Jon?

Has he been around on TDS lately, now that you mention it? I've been seeing a lot more Jason Jones the last couple weeks.

ufarn posted:

There are only so many news shows about politics that Comedy Central will be able to fit into their schedule.

The only thing they could have offered was to take over for Stewart (a Conan-Leno-like deal) or something in the weekend.

The real shame is that people won't be able to watch the show online due to it being on HBO, which will ensure it won't have the same kind of reach and effect that Daily Show and Colbert Report do.

Well, premium cable does need something to offset Bill Maher.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 15, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

escape artist posted:

Didn't see any mention of this, but Totally Biased was cancelled. FXX shot itself in the foot with that one. "Let's move it to a new channel and change it from one night a week to five nights a week!"

God dammit, I like that show. I hope at least Deon Cole's Black Box comes back at some point.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Syrg Sapphire posted:

So wait, something just hit me in all this. Next week, Always Sunny/The League have their finales. They just canceled the only show that was going to air anything new on the entirety of FXX until February (Legit). What in the gently caress?

If that's weird to you, give a look to the programming schedule for G4, which hasn't had any new content since it was announced that it was being replaced by the Esquire Network about six months ago, and usually consists of marathons of Web Soup reruns, a topical show that was cancelled 2 1/2 years ago.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

FXX was a good idea executed poorly and too quickly to boot. Since their shows all have smaller seasons I can't imagine it would have been that hard to program everything just on FX. Sure it would have been crowded but I don't think it's impossible.

FX has had lots of quality programming in the last few years, but I don't think it's ever had anything approaching what you'd call a crowded schedule. Count me among the people that don't understand why FXX exists. Aside from "Fox Soccer Channel didn't make enough money and we wanted to replace it with something that might," I guess.

Irish Joe posted:

Its a cable channel. Aside from the occasional prime time series, Friends and Simpsons reruns are the big draw.

Is The Simpsons really enough of a draw to get people to watch your cable channel in the year 2013 though? I guess my opinion is skewed because I think it's been a terrible show for a long time and haven't watched it in about a decade now, but aside from that, it's been syndicated since at least 1999-2000 or so, hasn't it? I could understand putting down big bucks to get it back then, but these days it's not as though Simpsons reruns are a tough thing to come by, and I don't feel like it lends itself to idle marathon viewing the way something like Law & Order does.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 16, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

They canceled the plans to turn G4 into Esquire too, so who knows what it's doing now.

I know, that's my point. G4 wiped out what original programming it had left months in advance only for them not to replace the channel after all, but it doesn't seem as though they plan on putting anything back in now that it's not going anywhere.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Ive tried to get get into Supernatural a few times but can't make it more than a few episodes. Its just too gay... well "too CW" might describe it better.

Arrow is pretty gay and CW too, and I like it although I've only watched part of the first season. There's just something about Supernatural that doesn't work for me.

I think many of the fans of those shows may want the male leads to gently caress each other, but nothing about either of the actual shows says "these characters totally want to make out" to me.

...Unless your criteria for "gay" is "the people in this TV show are muscular and attractive and go shirtless a lot" in which case you may have some issues of your own to work through.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

VDay posted:

Tons of empty, white space and boxy layouts filled with big screenshots and tiny bits of text are all the rage in web design these days, and I haven't met a single person who actually likes it.

That seriously does look like poo poo, I have to wonder who decided they needed to change the perfectly good looking and serviceable design they had.
It seems like web design trends are going 90's HTML1 retro. Really, look up a old site on the Wayback Machine and see the similarities.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Why? All I know is that there's androids and someone is like Judge Dredd.

The lead character is Karl Urban, who was Judge Dredd in last year's Dredd movie.
(You should also watch last year's Dredd movie, by the way.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

The real surprise isn't what it's called (it's How I Met Your Dad) but that's not about Ted's wife but instead a group of totally random new characters we meet in the final episode.

I'm sure this will work out just as well as comedy classic That 80's Show!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I did, it was a fantastic throwback to 80s action movies. But if that's the only reason someone mentioned Judge Dredd it's not selling me on the show very hard. I'll probably give it a try anyway though since apparently nothing is on tonight.

Well, it's a cop show in THE FUTURE in a crime ridden, gang-run city with soulless robot cops and some of the violence is pretty graphic and one of the cop robots pisses off Karl Urban so he throws him out of a moving car into traffic on the highway. So I mean if you like any combination of those things then you should give it a try.

Also, part 2 of Person of Interest's 3-part midseason finale is on tonight.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Looks like The Box is being raised from the dead for a new generation:
http://originals.musicchoice.com/play/RateIt.aspx

I can't get it on my cable provider because gently caress paying $6 for a converter box to watch Music Choice, but seeing as apparently Avril Lavigne, Drake, One Direction, Fall Out Boy, and Linkin Park have been rated "#turnitloud" and Daft Punk was rated "#turnitoff" I don't think I'll be missing much.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 19, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Thwomp posted:

I'd be concerned if SHIELD doesn't have any gems by the end of the season. You've got to have something to build off of.

I don't know if any episodes qualify as "gems" but it's been enjoyable enough to me. Clark Gregg really carries that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember how Haddie used to exist?

I'm glad if she doesn't anymore, the only character more insufferable than her is Julia.

It's weird though because the first season, maybe some of second season, the characters made for an enjoyable hour of television. But it seems like somewhere along the way they replace all the writers with people that vehemently hate every single character on the show.

• Locked thread