Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Stormageddon posted:

So how about that Lost and or Battlestar Galactica ending?

Actually, let's not.

I should ban you for starting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We are living in the Taylor Swift's Couch Chat era. Good time to be alive folks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Did you know that Kim Kardashian and Kanye West got engaged?

Couch Chat: TMZ this fall on NBC.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK, the joke has run its course. Back to TV chat. The Taylor Swift era has come to an end. For further adventures check out NMD.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Was there a point in TV history where a show would have one director for a whole season or even a series? Why do shows swap around directors instead of having a regular guy/gal?

Lots of sitcoms had the same directors. Especially multi-cams.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

smg77 posted:

Yeah it's really good so far. It's a Showtime show, however, so it will all turn to poo poo in the second season.

Shameless is the lone exception to the rule I suppose. Though I don't really watch many other Showtime shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Annakie posted:

Hey guys, I just made a new OP in Rapidly Going Deaf about my favorite podcast, The Thrilling Adventure Hour.

I think a lot of you guys will enjoy it, not only for its old-timey radio, all story format, but because it has a whole fuckton of guest stars (seriously, just click on that) that you know and love, as well as some regular players like Paul F. Tomkins, Paget Brewster, Marc Evan Jackson and an occasional heap of Nathan Fillion.

Check out the thread for a lot more information!

If you think you'd like TV without the pictures listen to this. It's funny stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

C-Euro posted:

Has there been a worse name for a show than "Super Fun Night" in recent memory? My girlfriend got into it recently and the name makes me think it's some kind of Adventure Time spinoff/ripoff, not a show about actual adult humans.

ABC has a thing for sitcoms with bad names.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ufarn posted:

There should be a thread for people who try to surmise what a show is about based on the title.

"Happy Endings" is probably either about couples having a hard time or "massagists".

I would be happy if there was a thread like this. We need more fun threads not about specific shows in TV IV. I was actually just saying that to someone else.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Feel free to make a new Key & Peele thread. The OP of the other one did nothing but embed about 20 videos on the first page.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rarity posted:

You sure you stickied enough threads there, Deadpool?

Nope. Once we have a first page of only stickies I will be content.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sounds like a challenge, brb as I make threads for Fresh Meat, some Kardashian thing, Fifth Gear (it's like Top Gear except nobody watches it!) and a Talking Dead thread for those who watch TTD but not TWD.

We're trying to get more stickies here, not in the Gas Chamber.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Speaking of The Mentalist, did it get renewed for 13 or 22 episodes this season? Because the Red John plot is moving at full speed. Feels like it'll be over in 13 episodes.

It's being wrapped up in the first half of the season. But the season is a full order.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maxwell Lord posted:

So is Hostages as horrible as the AV Club reviews suggest? Because it sounds like the Battlefield Earth of television.

I watched the first episode and it was really, really bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

What's the premise? A Secret Service dude is kidnapped at home and forced to do stuff? Wasn't there a Harrison Ford movie about that already?

Dylan McDermott/Dermot Mulroney is an FBI agent who holds a surgeon's family hostage so she'll kill the President in surgery. There's a lot of really dumb poo poo packed into the first episode. I decided not to continue on past that. I would not be surprised if there's been about 2,000 plot twists in the episodes since then though. Seemed like it was the kind of show that really didn't care if anything made sense.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

I love you for this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Yes, the world in which bad shows and actors never win Emmys.

Though I don't think TWD is a bad show by any stretch.

It's not. And the thread isn't even that bad anymore. It's been mostly readable for a couple weeks now. Except for the few people that seem to still not actually be paying attention to the show they're posting about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

NBC :D

e: holy poo poo, it is NBC?? :psyduck: indeed.

Football and The Voice are literally carrying everything else on the network.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I thought SNF football ratings were down across the board?

Still higher than most shows on TV though. Especially with most networks being down.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maxwell Lord posted:

EVERYTHING is down, so that may not have made much of a difference.

The CW is actually up this year! So only mostly everything.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Have they renewed Arrow yet?

No, but it's pretty much a guarantee.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

I totally forgot that there even was a new Beauty and the Beast.

As did most of the people on Earth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hollylolly posted:

This is sort of a random question for the people who watch The Mentalist, but did they play a repeat on Sunday night? I just sat down to watch it and it's the one where Rigby's dad dies and it's a turf war between two motorcycle gangs, blah blah, but the episode description and title were for a NEW episode.

Anyway. I didn't get to watch a new episode. :sigh:

Football ran late on Sunday and they aired a repeat in the US. The episode did air in Canada though. The episode will air this Sunday for the US.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

This is Nic Cage

No it's not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

soapgish posted:

I understand why I should be excited but this seems really desperate and ill-advised for having something, anything to do with street level characters. Problem is, I don't believe the stakes can be raised any higher than baddie in a penthouse sending out his goons with each series individually dealing until the team-up to take back the city, which win or lose will only be a headline about crime stats being down for two weeks and maybe some McGuffin to perpetuate struggle. A Spider-Man character works because while being street he's still a visually impressive A-list guy who can save the world and stop a purse snatching all the same, but this motley crew feels like the actual real life failures and pajama enthusiasts who dress up as superheroes and mobile phone in the real crimes.

This isn't really a motley crew as all the characters are pretty well related in the source material. It makes perfect sense for these four to be grouped together.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

Luke Cage is basically Black Dynamite.

Black Dynamite basically was '70s Luke Cage. The current Luke Cage is pretty different.

The biggest thing all these characters have in common is Brian Michael Bendis. Who either created, reinvented, or completely reinvigorated all of them over the last decade.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

soapgish posted:

A great example of how a sizable portion of the comic audience, and the entire general public, are going to respond to Daredevil getting demoted from major movie to streaming television just to be given a kung-fu movie sidekick, a girl who couldn't cut it, and the guy a lot of searches are going to return Nicholas Coppola on.

I don't doubt one word of your educated response or enthusiasm, which I'm sure is running wild across the Internet right now, but on paper this all looks to me like a team the Harlem Globetrotters play deciding to get serious and to make a name for themselves. I don't know, maybe my perspective is all wrong on this but I'm thinking about how during the Battle of New York these four all looked out their windows, dropped some cuss words, then closed the blinds.

You're looking for Thor and Iron Man and being disappointed when that's not what you're getting. You're also putting down the characters because you don't know them and since you don't know them they don't matter. And that's not really true at all. The general audience probably didn't know much about Iron Man or Thor before they had movies either. Of course they're not going to know about Luke Cage or Iron Fist. There will be some that know them from comics or cartoons, but most won't. Just because people don't know them doesn't mean they aren't viable characters worth promoting. With that logic no new properties would ever get a chance because nobody knew about them before. So yes, your perspective is wrong on this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

We have no way to be sure who that is under Doom's armor!

Every time I see a post by you I want to respond as if I'm Burt Ward.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

He was a huge focus when Bendis was writing the Avengers for his 10 years, but he is currently in limbo waiting for Bendis's Heroes for Hire book.

He's on The Mighty Avengers right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

soapgish posted:

Not looking for the big, mostly boring guys, I'm aware of the basics of who and what these characters are, and I've never held any logic where only things already marketed can be marketed... and that's weird to think anyone would ever actually believe. No, I truly don't see the appeal of street-level stories existing alongside the whole of the cosmos, and it's sadly easier to advocate that point for the devil than it is to convince the uninitiated that they should commit to some 60 episodes with characters who are so strong and so well written and so deserving of all this while having no cultural identity in this age of culture finding "nerd" to be one of its highest titles. I think most who tune in just for the Marvel logo will wonder why the strong flying girl isn't with the Avengers, the guy walking into machine gun fire isn't with S.H.I.E.L.D., etc., then promptly tune-out.

I appreciate your thoughts on the issue, but I'll just say I don't agree or even understand them at all. It seems to be a silly thing to complain about. It's like saying who gives a poo poo about Batman tracking down The Riddler when in the same universe Superman and Doomsday are leveling downtown Metropolis. There's room for all different levels of conflict in a fictional universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Slamhound posted:

Netflix practically has a captive audience for the series with a built-in marketing campaign. They'll at least be worth a look for anyone who's just finished watching one of the movies and is wants a little more.

Netflix knows more about the habits of their viewers than pretty much any network on TV. They assuredly have mounds of data telling them that purchasing all this is worth it to the their bottom line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't read comics in years and I've never read any of those characters thoroughly but I want to read that NOW!

The Bendis/Brubaker runs on Daredevil are great reads. Unless you prefer having your superheroes being happy and living well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I prefer the tiny scars version. And then he makes the mask and puts it on before it's cooled and thus completely scars his entire face. That just fits Doom perfectly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DurosKlav posted:

Yes, its Getting to be worse than zombies.

Have I got a series for you!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/izombie-dc-comics-cw-rob-thomas-diane-ruggiero/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Would it be worth separating the adult swim thread into two, as I'm guessing I'm not the only one who avoids the thread because there's fewer things I care less about than anime discussion. The 3rd Greatest Event in Television History aired last night with barely any notice, which is a bit lame. Also Eric Andre and Hot Package have both been really good this year too.

I don't watch any of the animated stuff there so I can sympathize with this. A live action thread for that stuff would be fine. There was an older Childrens Hospital/NTSF thread too, but we'll roll them into that thread as well. Just make it for all live action Adult Swim stuff. The other thread can be the animated stuff only.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

If it's not too late -- a thread for AS proper and a second thread for Toonami sounds about right.

I have no clue what the distinction is. I just tell my DVR what shows to record and it does it. So whatever works.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know a lot of you guys were worried about Fox only having one Seth MacFarlane animated show next season after American Dad leaves. So you don't have to worry anymore!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/fox-greenlights-animated-comedy-series-from-seth-macfarlane-for-next-season/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I stopped watching Chuck somewhere early in season four as I just completely lost interest in it. After hearing about what happened in the rest of that season and the next I feel like I made the right decision.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, but it's mostly because of what jeffersonlives was talking about in that the show had some false finales due to being on the brink of cancellation so many times. When you try to write yourself to a conclusion only to have to pull up at the last minute a few times it's eventually going to bite you in the rear end and it finally caught up with Chuck. In my mind the show should have ended in season three, but that's because I did think it felt like a logical end to the story. I gave it a little time in season four to convince me and it didn't happen so I jumped ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When Erik King was killed off is when my interest in Dexter largely died.

• Locked thread