Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I watch tv in my office from a very comfy Sumo bean bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm telling ya, sexy mummies are right around the corner.

I will not rest until we have a CW teen romantic drama set in the Black Lagoon.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
PLL is the best show that only approx. 5 people in this subforum are actually watching.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Could be worse.

Could be Toby, King of Two Facial Expressions Max.

(Why COULDN'T it have been stupid Toby, to liberate Spencer from his terrible woodenness.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

zoux posted:

Fuckin' better be....

I think you can probably count on Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, and Arrow being renewed every season until the showrunners decide they just don't want to do it anymore.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

hcreight posted:

Starring People's Choice Award Nominee Kristin Kreuk!

(I know, People's Choice is like the epitome of stupid awards shows but still hahaha Kristin Kreuk got nominated. For acting in something.)

The People's Choice for Favorite Least-Watched Network Television Program.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Junkenstein posted:

Absolutely, as long as you don't watch it for the mythos. It's kind of the opposite to today's TV in that regard. I guess some of the season 1 episodes would come across as pretty poor nowadays too. Maybe watch some of the best ones and then skip to season 2?

Yeah, the episodes that have actually stuck with me the longest from X-Files are a handful of the MOTWs, things like the fluke-man or Eugene Tooms.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sophia posted:

Okay I will check out Sleepy Hollow next and try to make it through the rest of Orphan Black after I got bored with it. Arrow is on my "to catch up on" list already!

ALPHAS. It had two 13 episode seasons on SyFy.

If you haven't watched the PLL Halloween episode yet, then we are no longer AFC South bros.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sophia posted:

I am watching it right now just for you then! I think I'm not going to watch Ravenswood though unless it's a lot better than it looks from all of this buildup.

Masters of Sex = I don't have premium channels right now so I can't watch (NFL Sunday Ticket took precedence!)
Hannibal = no thank you
PoI = until they invent a way to catch up online without spending more money I cannot watch this show
Reign = YES OH MY GOD I FORGOT ABOUT THIS SHOW

Okay so Reign, Sleepy Hollow, Brooklyn 99, plus catching up on Arrow, Scandal, New Girl and Parks and Rec, not to mention the shows I never finished from last year like Bates Motel, Psych, Nikita and Revenge. That's a full enough slate. There is too much TV on right now.

You have until January because then PLL is back on the air and that obviously takes precedence over everything.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

I don't really give a poo poo if he wants to watch it or not, but you don't have to make up half-assed reasons to justify yourself, just don't watch it.

I don't see anything half-assed about what he said. It was just "this thing happened, I didn't like it, so I stopped watching." Just because you don't like that this thing directly led to him no longer wanting to watch the show doesn't make it an invalid reason.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

Well, the fact that half of his statement was plain incorrect aside, I was referring more to the people who are saying they won't watch Popular Show specifically because it is a popular show.

I assume you're referring to BB and to his point, this isn't a case of "hurble durble I'm going to BUCK THE TREND and not listen to/watch *popular thing* just because I am a cool person like that!" It's a matter of exhaustion at hearing about said popular thing driving down personal interest in continuing to watch a show. This doesn't mean that person doesn't like the show on its own merits, just that they're too tired of hearing about how amazing it is all the time that actually watching an episode feels like effort.

It's like when people (I mean, myself included) were losing their minds over Orphan Black/Tatiana Maslany, or when similar happened (I think more in IRC than in Couch Chat) with Hannibal. (And probably about the last thing to do with said person is try to engage them even more in conversation about why they don't like the show -- because it's not that they don't! It's just that they need a breather from hearing its praises sung from the heavens.)

I haven't personally watched any more PoI past 1x07 because I'm just not invested enough in any of the characters or the concept to devote more of my time to catching up on it and away from other things I'm doing. And the more episodes that air, the more I'd have to watch to get current and the more daunting a task that seems. It's like Hannibal and Sophia -- it's not that I think it's a bad show or that it's had any particular missteps along the way; it's just not for me!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Aren't there like entire communities dedicated to the sexual tension between the main characters?

If that's your criteria, man, you might as well say, "I can't watch this television show because it is a television show."

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Junkenstein posted:

I think it'll only work long-term if they conclude this current arc after a couple of seasons before moving onto something fresh. Not that they're exactly dragging things out as it stands, mind.

I'm pretty sure the writers have said that they have actually plotted out like 7 seasons of show content, so I doubt we're going to get Ryan Murphy'd here unless Fox starts demanding 22-episode seasons instead of 13.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

Arrow delivered the episode of a lifetime tonight jesus

I think I'm getting spoiled. I can apparently only watch hour-longs now if 50058957887 things happen in one episode. THANKS A LOT, Pretty Little Liars and Arrow!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sophia posted:

I've heard The Fosters (also ABC Family) was good but I've never actually watched it. Friday Night Lights might scratch your itch if you haven't seen it. Gilmore Girls you mention this in your post duh, Joan of Arcadia, and Everwood are the other ones I can think of off the top of my head that are actually decent quality, though you might have already seen all of those. You could also go back and give the original flavor Beverly Hills 90210 (or the new one as I think about it) a gander. Or 7th Heaven. :)

I just recently watched The Fosters and it's a cute show. The kids kinda do dumb stuff but Teri Polo and Sherri Saum are adorable as their parents.

hcreight posted:

ABC Family deliberately went away from that demo a few years back. It's amusing to think that the network that broadcasts Secret Life and Pretty Little Liars was founded by Pat Robertson and still airs The 700 Club.

Yeah, ABC Family can pretty much never really fill that demo as long as PLL is basically its #1 tent-pole show.

xeria fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 23, 2013

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sir Kodiak posted:

You know, part of it for me is that while I can tell the characters apart, none of them come across as deep to me as, say, the different Olivias or Walters on Fringe. But that show didn't start playing those tricks right out of the gate, so it's an unfair comparison until I've finished the first season.

Thanks for the responses and helping me calibrate my expectations.

It is fairly unfair to compare a completed 5-season show to the first two episodes of the first season of another show in terms of your expectations, yes.

She is being praised because she is doing A Thing and doing it very well. Saying "she's no different than Eddie Murphy doing the Klumps" is one of the stupidest reductions I've ever read.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Regy Rusty posted:

It's important to remember not to argue on points Irish Joe brings up. In that way lies only misery.

True, I should say it's one of the trollingest reductions I've ever seen.

Sir Kodiak posted:

At the same time, none of the characters I've seen her play are as nuanced or interesting as Walter was on Fringe in the first episode (as just one example, since that's a show we're already comparing Orphan Black to). But from what DivisionPost is saying, I just need to wait a bit and I'll get that.

Nearly every person who has said, "I've watched the first 1/2 episodes and I don't see what the big deal is," has come around by anywhere from episodes 4 through 6. If you get through 6 -- probably the one real 'goalpost' episode this show has -- and still aren't interested, there probably won't be anything that comes after that'll convince you.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

VDay posted:

I think what Maslany did on Orphan Black was pretty impressive, but this is a pretty disingenuous argument considering that she a) didn't do it for a full season either (the clones don't show up immediately save for the opening scene) and that b) the "whole season" was only 10 episodes. Torv had a prolonged arc where she was playing Fauxlivia pretending to be Olivia and it was pretty drat incredible how much subtlety she managed to put into both characters.

Technically she does do it for a whole season -- even in the first episode, she's Sarah-playing-Beth. She's not playing Alison or Cosima for every single episode, no, but those two (and Helena) aren't the extent of her clone-playing.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sophia posted:

There is too much TV to watch and I will never catch up. I've heard AHS: Coven is balling this year, is that true or not?

I like it enough to keep watching but I think most people who really liked Asylum don't seem to be enjoying Coven quite as much.

Most of its appeal is awesome actresses chewing the poo poo out of the scenery.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
One of the biggest problems Coven has, I think, is that characters' personalities change to suit any given scene/plot point. It's particularly egregious with Zoe and Queenie.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Postal Parcel posted:

Question because I don't watch shows like this, why are some talent* shows more popular than others?
Like DWTS I get because it's celebrities dancing and what not. But why is The Voice more popular than X-Factor? Is it the night it's on, or the team of judges? This also applies to others like AI or AGT.

*talent being mostly singing, with the exception of recent AGT seasons

The Voice in particular picked up steam by not being another Simon Cowell retread, with a different format and popular current music stars.

But it's not really that AI in particular is doing that bad. Its total viewers are half of what they used to be several seasons ago but still equivalent to what The Voice pulls in -- the last season finale of AI had 3.6 in the demo and 14.31 overall versus The Voice's last season finale pulling 3.4 in the demo and 12.14 overall.

For reference, AGT's last season finale got 2.5/11.34. So it's really just "Why is the X-Factor doing so badly?" and also "Why is the X-Factor doing so much worse than it did even last season, on the same nights in same timeslot?" and that's more difficult to determine. I don't watch it so I can't say.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

Ok, question. With NBC's neverending nosedive into failure and the CW's strong brand association to its target demographic, could the CW ever overtake NBC as #4 network?

Overall, maybe if NBC lost both football and The Voice. NBC's definitely dipping below CW's ceiling with several shows now. (The 'problem' with that, for the CW, is that only 2-3 shows are capable of actually reaching that ceiling right now.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Vertical Lime posted:

It looks like that gamble might have paid off

franklinavenue: Fast nationals for NBC's THE SOUND OF MUSIC LIVE: 18.5 million total viewers; 4.6 rating/13 share adults 18-49.

Isn't that 4 times the demo number NBC usually gets on Thursdays?

Sounds like we're gonna get a whole lot of musicals live on NBC Thursdays!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mu Zeta posted:

I guess all you need for high ratings is just to have a bunch of people singing and dancing.

Live. Glee's getting 1.1s for its singing and dancing efforts.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Kraps posted:

Farscape is apparently a low-budget Mass Effect TV show which is fine with me.

I've been meaning to watch Farscape since one of my best friends loves it, but this comparison just sold me on it more than anything else.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

piratepilates posted:

One of my new hobbies is going through the old lineups of TV networks and seeing the shows that no one could possibly remember.

You catch some gems like Stark Raving Mad which is a sitcom sorta remake of The Odd Couple starring Monk and Doogie Howser that isn't amazing but pretty fun to watch.

And then you get shows that just seems bad like Veronica's Closet. Or something very mediocre like Good Morning, Miami

One of the ones that caught my eye was Leap of Faith which has this interesting tidbit on wikipedia: "Leap of Faith is a half-hour single-camera comedy that aired on NBC in early 2002, right after Friends on NBC's Thursday comedy block at 8:30 PM EST, as part of Must See TV. One of the highest rated shows to be cancelled, the series ended after just six episodes, despite ranking 12th for the season and having an average of 16.5 million viewers per episode." Unfortunately it seems almost impossible to watch since why would someone release a DVD of a show that was cancelled after 3 episodes and there's nothing on youtube except this one clip that makes it seem like a magically terrible show, one that I can't even fathom how it was made in to a series considering all the professionals that would have to be involved in making a TV show.

It was kind of fun to watch NBC try and fail repeatedly to find a show that could carry an audience between Friends and Seinfeld on Thursdays at 8:30. I vaguely remember some show called The Single Guy running for a while there.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

piratepilates posted:

That was one I failed to mention only because it seemed interesting but it's not on youtube and I'm not sure there was ever a home release of it so I have no idea how I could watch it. That's something of a tragedy to me, that I can't watch all of these things because no one cares enough to put them out there.

The only reason I specifically remembered that show is because there was a promo spot that aired for both it and Caroline in the City, where the leads of each show discussed with each other how successful sitcoms have titles with a single word (referencing Friends/Seinfeld) and how they should shorten their show names to single words. It ended up 'Caroline' and 'Guy'.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Bobfromsales posted:

Caroline in the city was a good sitcom, but can be added to the pile of shows that were ruined when the will-they/won't-they leads finally got together.

Yeah, I remember flipping from 'like' to 'not like' pretty much on a dime once Caroline and Richard got together in Season 3? I think. It pulled a lot of similar stunts with that will-they/won't-they as Friends did with Ross/Rachel -- he loves her but she doesn't know; then she discovers that she loves him but he's moved on; enter sweeps moment where he finds out she loves him.

Edit: Also, I just noticed on wikipedia that CitC only had its first two seasons ever released on DVD in the US. Weird.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

hope and vaseline posted:

Haha, Caroline in the City, Suddenly Susan and Veronica's Closet kind of morph into the same generic NBC sitcom in my head.

...I'm pretty sure the same thing happened for me with Suddenly Susan and Veronica's Closet. Who even was in VC besides Kirstie Alley? I thought Judd Nelson was but he was in SS with Brooke Shields, wasn't he?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
So crazy Golden Globes things from this morning:

1) Tatiana Maslany snagged a Best Actress nom, good for her!
2) Claire Danes DIDN'T! Shock among shocks. In fact, Homeland was completely shut out.
3) B99 nom'd for Best Comedy! Samberg nom'd for Best Actor in Comedy!
4) TV Supporting Actor/Actress is still stupid. Comedy actors were completely shut out of the category this year (and the only comedy actress nom'd was Sofia Vergara).
5) The HFP's definition of 'comedy' for motion pictures seems curiously suspect.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Joramun posted:

That "Worst Suicide Attempt" does not belong on the list. That was actually one of the greatest TV scenes of the year, if not ever.

I read that and said, "Welp, guess I need to watch that show now, because that sounds amazing."

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sophia posted:

I really like Scandal but I'm the exact opposite of this, I was in completely on the first season from the beginning, then my interest has slowly waned as they've gotten more serial and less episodic. I thought it was going to be a show that I wanted to watch each week this year but instead I've got a 5 or 6 episode backlog on my DVR. This has also happened with Sleepy Hollow, though, so perhaps I'm fatigued by zany event television, but I really liked the show better when it more like Leverage than Grey's Anatomy.

Except for Mellie. I'd watch 45 minutes of the life of Mellie every week no question.

As long as your zany event television fatigue doesn't carry over into PLL. :colbert:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

They still don't really have confidence in the show. It wasn't much of a performer last year, but NBC gave it its second season because it was a cheap international co-production, a critical jewel in the crown (see: Homicide, Friday Night Lights) and possibly because there were other cable/streaming networks waiting in the wings to pick it up the second NBC dropped it.

My guess? It goes to summer to stay out of the ratings conversation.

I find it kind of interesting, for as much as it ends up on top 10 lists and the like, that it was completely glossed over for both the Emmys and the GGs. Like if it wasn't for the thread here and people occasionally talking about it on irc/in Couch chat, I'd probably forget it was even a show until it comes back on the air.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Yoshifan823 posted:

BBC poo poo is too short, IMO. It makes sense with Sherlock, because they're basically just making 3 feature length movies, but 6 episodes has always felt too short for me (especially in comedy, where the shows are half as long).

As for the others, it's easy to point to those shows and say "yes, this is the perfect length" because they're so good, but they don't illustrate the flaws that longer shows tend to have because of their length. House is the perfect example because you have an entire season's worth of character growth spread out over 22-24 episodes, when it could have easily fit in many less.

Basically, when someone watches BB/MM, very few people think "boy this is just the perfect length for a season of television", because there are a billion other things they're thinking, but if you watch House, odds are one of your first thoughts after finishing a season will be "that was really good, but did it need to be that drat long?"

Edit: House is probably the best (longer than one season-running, because of Freaks and Geeks) network drama of the past 15 or so years, but I don't think it compares to the best Cable has had to offer, fwiw.

Yeah, sitcoms don't seem to suffer as much as most hour-longs when it comes to 22-24 episode seasons (probably in part because it's half the runtime), to where I never really catch myself thinking, "Boy, New Girl is great but it'd be even greater if the season was cut in half."

Meanwhile, it seems like with hour-longs/dramas we're drifting toward half-season orders (12-13 episodes) instead of the full 22-24. The one clear example I can think of where a full 22-order really hosed with the flow of the season is Lost Girl S2, where they had a 13-episode order and then got renewed for another 9 episodes mid-season. It's real obvious that they started basically treading water that season just to fill out their order, and S3/S4 ended up as half-season size orders.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

JediTalentAgent posted:

Granted, spin-offs haven't been all that successful lately, but W&G had went from being a very popular first run show but I've not seen in in syndication around my area for a long time. Trying to push a new series with those characters could have helped reinvigorate some syndicated interest in the original series.

Some network did some massive marathon of W&G last weekend (calling it '50 Shades of Grace' or something), but I don't remember which now. I want to say either E! or TBS but that's probably wrong.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I just watched the first episode of Dante's Cove with TVIV favorite STEPHEN AMELL and that was pretty much the most horrifying thing I've ever seen.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

When did people start hating Anne Hathaway? I wasn't aware that was ever a thing, guess it slipped by me.

She gets hate from people who regard her as a Spazzy Theater/Drama Kid, and consider folks who fall that category real annoying, that I've seen. It's fairly dumb.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's incredible. The award easily goes to Brooklyn 99, but somehow they managed to skip the one legit new network comedy of the year? That takes efforts. I bet if they had 6 nominees, 'Dads' would be in it.

I think it's probably pretty established by now that the "People's Choice Awards" are effectively the Teen Choice Awards without the part where you have to fake your age if you want to spam vote.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

muscles like this? posted:

I thought Fox was going to take it off the air?

It's going off in February, when Glee comes back on and takes the 8-9 timeslot and pushes B99 to 9:30 (after New Girl).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

smg77 posted:

The current season is much better about telling a coherent story where last season was fun because of how nutso the whole thing was. I'm enjoying witches this year and don't think the show is nearly as bad as the AHS thread would have you believe.

Of all the praises I've seen for this current season, none of them have been regarding its coherency.

• Locked thread