Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait, what happened at the end of Big Love? I can imagine it being monumentally stupid, and I of course could wiki it, but I'd rather someone tell me in an humorous way worthy of this here comedy website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thexerox123 posted:

I think it's largely so that they can shoot/prep in parallel. If you're working on a week-to-week basis/tight schedule, you can't be focusing on doing the prep for an episode next week if you're busy directing a different episode this week. Meanwhile, the showrunner/executive producers take on the role of overseeing the season/show as a whole.

I guess it depends on the show, though.

Yeah, using one director for an entire season of something like Game of Thrones would mean it would take 6 years to make a season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

You know, gently caress it, I no longer even care. Because I looked at that picture and thought "this film will have E in it, and will not in fact be a buddy cop film starring Turtle and Ari Gold, so gently caress the whole franchise".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was about to say something incredulous but realized I had confused Blue Steel with Blue Thunder. Shut up, I just woke up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

I still think that the Tudors was good until the end and did not fall off the cliff the way other Showtime shows did.

This is truth. If you're on Showtime, the best thing that can happen is to be cancelled after a couple-few good seasons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

smg77 posted:

So after the roaring success of the Ironside reboot NBC is now rebooting Murder, She Wrote.

I hope it's edgy and snarky.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually lost interest in Person Of when it got to the computer being literally God.

I'm not against the plot in theory but the way it was going... it was just like eehhhhhhh. :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

Putting it in spoilers:

One of the main characters (male) was possessed by an agent of Satan and the only way to exorcise it was for another male character to gently caress the demon out of him. Yes, this is the magical healing power of rape. Misfits has always been an edgy show and that's why I loved it but this was :gonk: even for me.

On the plus side, it also had satanist Scouts.

I thought it was pretty good/insane, Misfits turned up to 11. The beginning bit with Rudy was great too. "First time I touched another boy's penis!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

This is a show that had a guy try to rape a chick, but the chick that he is trying to rape is really a gender shifting guy.

There really needs to be a series 5 thread just to use "This is a chance to use your cock for good" as its title.

edit: gently caress it, I'll make one right now.

precision fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 25, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Misfits thread is up:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576694

Yes, I know it's not amazing, but I don't think that many people are still watching. I'm liking it as much as ever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ufarn posted:

What happened to angels? I thought angels were the new vampires, but I guess the new vampires are zombies.

Angels aren't edgy anymore. Criss Angel ruined it for everyone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The question is, will they be Witches or Sexy Witches? I've only seen a couple episodes of Charmed, but for a show with Rose McGowan vamping it up it didn't seem like a Sexy Witches Show, more like Sex In The City (With Witches).

Hey, how come True Blood has never had Rose McGowan on it?! That's truly baffling.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tommy Wiseau had a webseries reviewing video games for Machinima last year?

Wait, let me rephrase that: of course Tommy Wiseau had a webseries reviewing video games for Machinima last year.

Anyone remember the BBC Adaptation of The Tripods? I just randomly remembered it and found out it was never released outside of Region 2. I don't remember it being as creepy as the books, but that it was pretty drat good when I saw it on PBS.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Omelette du Fromage posted:

OK OK you convinced me geez

Sleepy Hollow is really, really good. I don't even know why I put off watching it. It's seriously fantastic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Azure_Horizon posted:

The best line is still, "A 10% LEVY ON BAKED GOODS?!"

It totally is. I had to rewind I laughed so hard. That dude is selling it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

C-Euro posted:

Has there been a worse name for a show than "Super Fun Night" in recent memory?

Half the shows on Adult Swim from the past decade?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sons of Anarchy: A documentary series following the descendants of famous 60s radicals as they continue their parents' legacy by participating in Food Not Bombs, Occupy movements, and attend Burning Man festivals.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think season 2 and 3 of the League are as good as Sunny's best seasons, but this year it's just too lazy for sure. It's still funny, but Ruxin is becoming increasingly the most likable character, which should tell you something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

I actually laughed. Spoilers through season 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDqGAUvWKkU

The Walking Dead one is so much better, too.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxvo8AcpQQ

precision fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 29, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

I wonder if The DENNIS System or The Gang Buys A Boat are good to watch if you haven't been watching long enough to "get" Dennis.

Oh they totally are, those are two of my go-to episodes for new viewers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I'm wrapping up a rewatch of Louie. I posted this on twitter but it bears repeating: If the "Late Show" episodes aren't considered classic episodes of TV in five years, something went terribly wrong.

I agree, but when I rewatched them those episodes seemed to be paced poorly; like maybe the story should have been edited together into two episodes instead. But that's nitpicking because other than the pacing it's a loving phenomenal story and the payoff at the end is pure gold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I'm using my yearly "oh for gently caress's sake" on this news.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey. Hey now.

8 Mile is a good movie. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I literally forgot that Alcatraz even existed until this morning. And then I got depressed because it had so much wasted potential.

:sigh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Palooka posted:

Karl Urban, John Larroquette

That's all I needed to hear. Dredd was a good flick and Urban not having much screentime was one of my bigger complaints about the new Star Trek.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man, do not watch Dracula. It's the anti-Sleepy Hollow. It's not "so bad it's awesome", it's absolutely loving terrible. I mean I very rarely bother just saying "this poo poo sucks in every possible way", and I really wanted to like it but no, no, Christ no.

That said, if it suddenly gets awesome or hilarious like The Cape did, let me know. :shobon:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've only seen like three episodes of NCIS ever, but I guess I unironically enjoyed them. I like the goth girl and the :smug: dude, they're funny. I can imagine how old it would get to watch more than a few of though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Derek Agony posted:

I've only seen Homeland S1 and loved it but have heard bad things about S2 and 3 - is this generally accurate? If it's gonna end up being terrible I'd rather just stick with S1 and pretend it never got renewed.

I think most of season 2 is better than season 1, especially the first half which takes things a lot faster and ballsier than shows generally are. I mean there are about four episodes in a row that had me thinking "holy poo poo, that could have been a finale :stare:"

e: I'm waiting for season 3 to be over before I watch it though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

I'm really sad media discovered twerkin

I'm really sad humanity discovered it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

We should have stuck with daggering.

Honestly never heard this term before, though I've seen it happen. It's actually kind of impressive looking, aside from how... uh... hypersexualized... it is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm sure someone at AMC is frantically writing on a whiteboard:

- Cooking Dead?
- Breaking Dead?
- Walking Bad?
- Walking Bed?
- Walker, Dead-rear end Ranger?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: in reference to Walking Dead winning awards:

I don't know, I don't see any of the actors winning the big awards. I could be wrong but I just don't see it. :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I totally forgot that there even was a new Beauty and the Beast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Looks like Sandra Bullock is "the people's Claire Danes" this year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Gravity was a really good movie. And my heart still belongs to her.

It gave me serious panic issues, but looked great.

Oh, and speaking of lovely summer reality shows, whatever happened at the end of Siberia?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

Comics, man. They go for it.

There was a black Superman decades before a black President.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

soapgish posted:

More valid point, if Benson speaks truth there is no way he can be high so all time. Not even on the best of days is a THC soaked person getting typical like Doug Benson, oblivious and acting an adolescent.

I can almost guarantee you I smoke more weed than Doug Benson and I never act like he does. It's a marijuana minstrel show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Would it be worth separating the adult swim thread into two, as I'm guessing I'm not the only one who avoids the thread because there's fewer things I care less about than anime discussion. The 3rd Greatest Event in Television History aired last night with barely any notice, which is a bit lame. Also Eric Andre and Hot Package have both been really good this year too.

Honestly I don't know why Toonami doesn't have its own thread, separate from the live-action Adult Swim shows. In fact, I thought it was that way already, but it's not.

So, go for it, just make sure everyone knows what's happening before you post it I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

A bottle of wine, yes, but on lovely domestic at a dive bar? Hardly.

The only TV show that accurately represents what being drunk is actually like is Drunk History.

Almost every show gets all that poo poo wrong, and it's so annoying - like earlier with the Doug Benson thing, I refuse to believe being high actually makes him act like that. He's just acting like stoned people are "supposed" to act, when the reality is that most people who smoke pot on a daily basis don't actually act different when they're stoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Occupation posted:

Well you see Toonami is Adult Swim for pedophiles

Adult Swim rarely/never has the really bad animes, does it? Or is this just an "all anime is the same" joke?

• Locked thread