Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Oh man I haven't thought about Into Darkness since I saw it in theaters. That ships WW1 bi-plane sound effect is so terrible I must have blocked it from my memory.

Also posting in the first page of a new era of trek threads. Engage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I just watched Hellraiser for the first time this month and you can imagine my surprise to find that Garak himself is one of the main characters.

I knew he was the crazy dude in dirty harry but never knew about Hellraiser.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I want JMS to be given a billion dollars to remake Babylon 5 with modern tech and a huge per episode budget.

That is my dream sci-fi TV show. Considering Babylon 5 is lost to history compared to something recognizable like Trek (hell, B5 isn't even on Netflix or any streaming services I know of), and the brand kind of poisoned it's own well with all the TV movies not called "In the Beginning" and a horrid spin-off show, I highly fuckin' doubt this is ever gonna happen.

If we are making a new Trek then a The Next Next Generation will be good enough I guess. Do you think that it's even possible to make a show in the original continuity, since the new universe is what most youngsters know about?

My point is Babylon 5 is the poo poo and I should start watching it for a 3rd time.

Damo fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 23, 2013

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
My point with that is that the average 15 year old these days has heard of Star Trek, and they would have even without the JJ movies, given the power of the brand and it's influenced on pop culture and sci-fi in general, while Babylon 5? Not so much. Not exactly a household name you can count on to convince TV execs to break out the cash for a pilot/series.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

1st AD posted:

I dunno, I don't think Babylon 5 was really all that good - they had a great 3rd and 4th season but everything else is a giant pile of poo poo to me. The cast was just really weak to me and the quality of the show is basically held up by Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik. Also I think I would have trouble watching any scenes with Jeff Conaway nowadays knowing how much of an addict he was and how it destroyed his life.

I guess it's not for everyone, but I quite enjoyed all the seasons, even 1 and 5. Sure Season 1 is a bumpy start and there's not much major story stuff, but it's better than season 1 TNG by a mile, if only because the setting of a gritty space station that actually has an underclass with actual real life concerns like crime, or hunger and what not, was so interesting after years of Star Treks Utopian (only for earth, though!) bull crap, I could wade through the boring monster of the week style stories. And while Season 5 has some issues early on with the telepath bullshit, after the first 10 or 12 eps it's resolved and the rest is almost as good as the show in it's prime, ending with probably a better finale than any other Sci-Fi show ever (still haven't watched What You Leave Behind though). Sleeping In Light is one of the few episodes of anything sci-fi that got me teary eyed in the best of ways.

Also, while Katsulas/Jurasik were the only actors worth a damned on the show (and they were loving worth all the damns in the world, fantastic they were), I wouldn't say the rest were so terrible as to be unwatchable. They did a good enough job for me. Sheridan himself was probably one of the better of the non Londo/G'Kar actors, and since he got the most screen time it wasn't so bad. But yeah, Michael O'Hare, Julia Nickson, Claudia Christian and Jerry Doyle are all pretty loving horrible. Not gonna argue. I just keep telling myself while watching that they couldn't afford any better. And luckily O'Hare was only around for the first season, what a god awful and wooden leading mad. Bruce Boxleitner, while not much of an actor himself, was a huge improvement. He will forever be a boss in my mind, how many dudes can nuke the home planet of their enemy, and nuke their evil ex wife, and themselves at the same time and live to tell the tale. What a role model.

I love Babylon 5 too much I guess. I can look past some serious flaws. To me the most disappointing thing about the show is how the networks consistently hosed JMS over with the "will they/won't they" game of cancellation that took a well planned out story designed for 5 seasons and made JMS constantly rewrite and shorten plotlines because of fear of cancellation, while in the end he did get his 5 seasons anyway and never really had to gently caress with it to begin with. So you get stuff like the shadow war and war against clark at earth ending way prematurely, and not getting the justice and time to stretch out they deserved considering they were the loving central plot lines.

edit: I love DS9 with all my heart, but I think I love B5 at the least just as much. I can't pick one over the other, damnit! Also JMS might be poo poo now but luckily he's already written the story, just let some more talented dudes that him write the actual weekly episode scripts and he can handle the shows main story arc outline.

Damo fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 23, 2013

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Slamhound posted:

This is completely off-base since Babylon 5 is noted for it's non-forehead aliens. It went a long way towards establishing non-humanoid, other-atmosphere civilizations.

For real. Hell, Babylon 5 (the station itself) had an entire sector dedicated to alternate atmosphere quarters for aliens who couldn't breath in an earth like atmosphere. Each room was programmable to different gas contents to suit the occupants, if I recall. And they even had those gas mask dispensers at the end of every hallway/airlock. This wasn't just some half mentioned non fleshed out idea, this was an area of the station visited very often in episodes, and important to many plot lines. The effort to include reasonable, cool, worthwhile realism helps the world-building and distinguished B5 from other shows. It's one of the big reasons I love the show so much.

You had Kosh / Vorlons, who were energy/light beings in an extremely weird exosuit , the Gaim, weird bug-like faced dudes who needed their odd gasmasks on all the time, the gross as gently caress carrion-eater like Pak'Ma'Ra, the shadows themselves who were basically giant cloaking spiders , and more I'm sure I'm forgetting about.

Let's also never forget Londo and his 6 tentacle dongs.

Babylon 5 also had the awesome fact that they took a fairly prominent and developed (character wise in the show) alien race and literally killed them all off. The entire race. That was pretty awesome. "Hey art department, thanks a bunch for making dozens of make up and latex get-ups for that one race, feel free to go set them on fire now cause they are worthless!"

Also, one of my favorite things, Newtonian physics actually applied to the space battles to an extent is just :fap: Talk poo poo about the early CGI work all you want, but I'll take a single shot of a Starfury turning a 180 while keeping it's momentum and firing on an enemy behind it over any attempts at displaying a "space battle" in any Trek I've ever seen. And as poo poo as the CGI looked, it got much better each season the show went on. So you were getting as good quality as their time, budget, and tech would allow. Those CGI dudes definitely tried their best and you could tell they were getting better as time went on.

This is sad and touching. It's nice that this issue finally gets the closure it should have had a long time ago. No more wondering and rumors about why O'Hare left. Good on them all. Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard about this new development. I'm going to try and watch the panel as well when I get a chance.

1st AD posted:

This used to be on their website I think, does anyone know if it's available for streaming anywhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4bka9Y2gJ0

Just to help you in the future, I literally just copy and pasted the name of the movie into google, picked the "videos" filter tab, and it was the first result :downs:

And to people implying you can't remake Babylon 5 without Andreas Katsulas, well, that's just dumb. I mean, yeah he IS G'Kar and he and Londo were the backbone of great acting on the show, but I'm sure a good casting director can find someone to fill his shoes well enough. At the least it's a dumb reason that the show won't get remade. If they want to remake it, not a single TV dude in that circle is gonna say "drat, we really can't do this without Andreas. Pack it in, guys".

Damo fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 23, 2013

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I've always started a Babylon 5 run by subjecting myself to "The Gathering" pilot. Making it through that makes the first season of B5 itself seem like the best poo poo ever in comparison, in every category. Acting, writing, effects, lighting, character designs, cinematography, music, gently caress -- you name it.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Bicyclops posted:

I am currently going back and forth between DS9 and yes, Voyager.

Why would you ruin DS9 by alternating it with Voyager episodes. Yuck.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I'm kind of glad I never watched Star Trek as a kid in the 90s now. I can't imagine getting tricked into watching voyager, then slowly realizing as the years went on, and I grew more mature and wiser, that the show was never going to get good.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I actually kind of looked forward to the Ferengi DS9 episodes. If I recall I only really hated the Profit and Lace, the obvious one. The Area 51 episode is probably one of my favorite comedic, light hearted episode of any Star Trek I've seen.

I definitely have to back up The Muse as being a candidate for worst episode though. Not much redeeming about it, weak plot/performances and stuff that borders on the creepy in a bad way. Yuck. Don't think I'll ever sit through that one on a rewatch.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

God, DS9 is so awesome. These are some fantastic moments, and the video about root beer is probably the greatest commentary on the federation in the entire franchise.

I just really wish there had been a classic continuity Trek show that carried the torch of what DS9 did right, after it ended. How it completely "got" Star Trek while simultaneously breaking free from the shackles that held it back. Having great and well acted characters with depth who grow, plot lines and decisions that have consequences and impact, and then seeing those consequences next episode. Not to mention a setting that is stable, which doesn't allow for warp 9ing away from last weeks problem every time. This forces interesting political stuff you would never see with nearly as depth in previous shows.

The gag with Quark/Rom popping into The Sisko's office through the vent is a good example of how doing those things right elevated the show. It's a simple gag that's elevated to an awesome piece of hilarity because of who the characters are, and what they have been through together and apart. Knowing all that history makes the gag and the akward interaction that much more enjoyable. If that was Wesley accidentally popping into Picards office, it wouldn't work quite as well.

DS9 really showed how amazing and versatile the Star Trek universe is, while bringing out a greatness and potential in it that as yet no one had touched or knew existed. The sad thing is it was the first and only show to do so. You would think (and hope) that after a show that revitalized and elevated the franchise to a new level, they would keep it going, and learn what they could from what DS9 did right, and jump into that poo poo head first with a new show. Instead, well, we got to the point now where a new Star Trek TV series is being dreaded as much as anticipated by the fan base as a whole due to really lack luster TNG movies, Voyager/Enterprise, and now JJTrek mucking up the continuity.

Bleh I'm getting depressed I'm just gonna stop talking now. Hopefully there's something that can pass as a conclusion in there somewhere.

Damo fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 26, 2013

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

pentyne posted:

What exactly changed in terms of production/writing that allowed the DS9 team to focus on serial stories around season 3/4? I always go back to the "JMS pitched Babylon 5 to Paramount, they declined but adapted the concept into DS9" rumor but there must be something concrete. Seasons 5-7 of DS9 were the best Star Trek ever made.

Basically DS9 was always the "also-ran" Star Trek show on TV it's entire run. There was always another flagship "ship exploring the unknown" Star Trek show overlapping it's run, first TNG then Voyager. So, like someone above me said, the DS9 creative team were left to their own devices a lot more than any other group running a Trek show ever was. Funny, what happens when you let creative people free a bit to tell a good story even if it requires bending the rules of the franchise, as opposed to forcing rigid adherence to those rules and as a result putting out some lovely poo poo that we've already seen done, and better, and takes no risks. Something that doesn't keep pace with how television storytelling is growing in general, and doesn't come even close to realizing it's own potential.

Hell, I suppose we are lucky as hell that Deep Space 9 ended up as good as it did. At least one Star Trek show got it that right. My earlier wishing they would have capitalized on that is a serious pipe dream really. DS9 was a lucky shot, I highly doubt we'll ever get Trek as good as that ever again. When a new Trek series gets started, you know there are all sorts of new ways of making bad TV it's gonna get sucked into. Falling back into making the same mistakes Trek has always made is the least of the problem.

Damo fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 26, 2013

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Otisburg posted:

Maybe my sympathy is misplaced, but when I read about minor characters appearing at Trek conventions I sort of wish they could have just done their time in Trek and moved on to other things, you know, and didn't have to put on weirdo alien make-up and ham it up for a bunch of unwashed nerds.

Like, the dude who played Nog is 45 now and hasn't done anything since DS9. There he is up on stage doing a Ferengi Rap. :smith:

Well, I don't know exactly how much someone like him earns in residuals, especially since he was likely only in maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of DS9 episodes. But that combined with the constant milking of his characters at events, conventions, et al, I'm sure with some decently financial planning the dude is set for life. It's really not a bad gig to have one character who is remembered so fondly and vividly by a large amount of dumb people willing to throw money at a TV show from 20+ years ago. poo poo, if all I had to do was put on Ferengi costume and rap and answer awkward questions 5-6 times a year something to live comfortably, I'd say sign me the gently caress up. Actors with the talent and the looks of an Aron Eisenberg could only dream of a better role and acting opportunity. Dudes like that usually get stuck playing Extra Weird Dude #2 in straight to DVD movies and poo poo, not owning a character, like I said, that is remembered as well as Star Trek dudes are.

Seriously, in that era getting a role on Star Trek even as just a reoccurring side character, for non-Patrick Stewart level actors/talent, must have been considered the loving jackpot with the syndication money and high nerd profile you achieve. For actors like Rom and Nog and what not it's likely the best role they could ever hope for.

So while I understand in spirit what you are getting at, I don't really feel all that bad for the dude considering what his career would likely have been without his gig on DS9.

Damo fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 12, 2013

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Look who I found in Season 1 Episode 1 of Babylon 5:

:mad:

It looks like the dude has been around. Wonder where he'll pop up next!

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Oh man. Cocktail waitress Ezri from Badda-Bing Badda-Bang :swoon:

I'm so, so glad Jadzia died in season 6. So incredibly glad.

edit: Also please tell me someone has a gif of Sisko making it rain handy.

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 31, 2014

• Locked thread