Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do love how the Spark Nevada universe encompasses so many different types of sci-fi; cheesy 50's style science, space-western, Star Trek, Hunger Games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My favorite Dead Authors Podcast episode is the one with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Another panel episode out today that's really interesting and fun to listen to with abysmal sound quality. This one is even worse than the NYCC one. My favorite part is the constant skipping sound, and when the sound guy has a conversation with someone and it's about as loud as the panel.

They need to just start travelling with their sound engineer from Largo.

If you can stand the sound quality, it's a great listen though.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 2, 2013

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I've been listening to various podcasts working at my warehouse job, and listening to TAH was the best decision I made. This is an absolute gem to listen to. I wish I could teleport from Kentucky to LA to see their shows....and to see Paul F. Tompkins.....and to him him and groom his mustache BUT THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE!

I'm also sad that no one said anything about the Sparks Nevada episode 'Station Break' and his attempt to grudgingly sing his theme song while horribly depressed. If I wasn't at work I would've fell over laughing.

Also, .........f'Earth...

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
A friend of mine from Twitter is at the show tonight. (Tonight is this year's Christmas show. Which we'll get next Christmas.)

That would be her with Hal Lublin aka Phillip Fathom / Gummy / the narrator for every segment.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 8, 2013

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Annakie posted:

A friend of mine from Twitter is at the show tonight. (Tonight is this year's Christmas show. Which we'll get next Christmas.)

That would be her with Hal Lublin aka Phillip Fathom / Gummy / the narrator for every segment.

Jealous!

I hate that we have to wait a year for the Christmas show. I'd love if they did something like a stream you could pay for if you'd like to see it. I'm surprised they haven't set up something like this for each monthly show.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

That's a great idea, you should email thrillingadventure@gmail.com and suggest it to them! (I already bug them enough with wiki stuff so I try not to bother them even more, haha.)

Also, here's some spoilers for the show last night, courtesy of my friend who was there: So you know how the Christmas shows are usually framed by "Christmas on Mars" so all the Sparks cast does the wraparounds? Well this year it was apparently "Christmas on Jupiter". I'm not sure exactly what all that means except Jib Janeen was telling stories. Apparently there was a whole Phillip Fathom story, too.

It's killing me even more now that we have to wait a year for this.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 8, 2013

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

After a few more episodes I think I "get" Captain Laserbeam. It all comes down to whether the villains and the gags they drop within the script are great. Like, "All the books are gone? Has the nefarious Diebrarian struck again?"

And how good the Adventureketeers are at being terrible child actors.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Antti posted:

After a few more episodes I think I "get" Captain Laserbeam. It all comes down to whether the villains and the gags they drop within the script are great. Like, "All the books are gone? Has the nefarious Diebrarian struck again?"

Yeah Captain Laserbeam was my least favorite of the regular middle segments for a long time til I figured that out, too. CL isn't about the plot, it's about the Adventurekateers and the villains names/shtick. The best episodes are definitely the ones the shake things up a bit. Or anything with Phillip Fathom.

My friend also got pics with our little paper taken with Marc Evan Jackson, Mark Gagliardi and Josh Molina and Paul F. Tompkins.

I also realized that a trip I was planning to see some friends in Bakersfield in the spring could be extended a bit, so I picked up a ticket to see Sparks Nevada's "I'm From Earth Day" Special on Tuesday, April 22nd. I'm going to have to rent a car and get a hotel room for the night, but it'll be worth it. I will, of course, post a trip report once I'm back. :dance:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Antti posted:

Captain Laserbeam got way too formulaic for me after a while. That's why I love Beyond Belief so much, it stays in the same milieu but switches its structure/flow up so it never gets stale. Speaking of, the latest Beyond Belief was hysterical.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I honestly like Tyler (Number Two) better than Phillip Fathom.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

The full Christmas episode from last year is up today and it is so great.

The only disappointment is that it was a USSA episode we'd already heard, but it's obvious why they had to release that segment earlier in the year or else Pemily showing up on Mars in the last couple of episodes wouldn't make sense, so that's okay.

Everything was awesome though, the Sparks wraparound story was sweet. The Phillip Fathom story done in rhyming form was just hilarious and so well done. The Beyond Belief with John Hamm was amazing and hilarious as always.

Apparently I have nothing constructive to say except gushing. I'm so glad TAH is released on Mondays because it's such a great way to start a week. :)

Annakie fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 18, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The cast of TAH got to play an RPG about themselves, and it apparently went over pretty well. Plus the game had an actual intro by Hal.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I've been listening to them for a few months and really love the Beyond Belief segments. I'll try and give the other stuff a second chance but it just didn't grab me so far.

No matter what, it's great to hear more classic radio stuff coming out every year. Radio rules!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Finally got a chance to listen to the Christmas episode. Something about the line "I don't like hearing Felton do character work" really got me. Beginning to think Mark Jackson is the alter ego of Sparks instead of the other way around. Was also pleased to hear the massive amount of applause when Paget Brewster's name was called.

Trying hard to talk myself out of buying all the swag.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This Christmas episode is a lot better than last year's, I gotta say. The USSA section was a little weak, but Croach shouting "NO!" during the Captain Laserbeam intro was :3 as hell, and Felton's Beyond Belief intro was hilarious.

"Does that remind you of anyone?"
"Batman. It exactly reminds me of Batman."
"Batman and Aquaman."

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think this was one of my favorite episodes of the Thrilling Adventure Hour.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 18, 2013

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Am I crazy or was that USSA segment recycled? I swear I've heard it before, but the rest of the show seemed new.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Yep, they released it earlier in the year as a standalone episode "New Frontiers" (TAH #117) and this was (TAH #147).

They needed to release it earlier because it explained what Pemily was up to before she came to Mars in the last two episodes.

CuddleChunks, I think Sparks Nevada really takes about 5 or 6 episodes to become like, addicting. It took The Red Plains Rider showing up for me to really start enjoying it at first. I still don't particularly care for the first Sparks episode. I love the second episode now but the first time through I was really starting to wonder what I was listening to with, well, the eggsac stimulation part. (NOW it's hilarious, especially every time they reference it and Sparks freaks out.)

The rest of the middle segments can be great but sometimes kind of mediocre. Like, I'll be honest, I'm not a fan at all of Jumbo and I'm pretty meh on the Algonquin Four stuff they've been doing lately.

Also, we've got everything Sparks Nevada related really well detailed on the wiki now, except War of the Worlds, which I'm hoping to work on the last week or two of the year. Acker and Blacker told me they started using it as their main Sparks reference now, apparently. Captain Laserbeam is coming along nicely as well, though now we need to make Phillip Fathom his own segment page. Beyond Belief is the next big project.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I don't mind giving it another chance, but I thought the Algonquin Four was a lot funnier out of the gate. I think I started mid-season with the Sparks Nevada show doing some kind of mayoral election. It just didn't grab me at all and I haven't listened to much since then. It probably wasn't a great spot to start in.

Beyond Belief though, it cracks me up every time.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Yeah, Sparks Nevada is HIGHLY serialized, you really need to listen to it in order, and also not skip the "Spinoff" (USSA/Troubleshooter/Cactoid Jim) episodes as you go through, either. If you were listening to what I think you were listening to (Probably "Support Your Local Marshal" and/or "Good Jim") it's literally like jumping into like, season 4 of Lost or something.

Start from the beginning and power through the first couple of episodes. I'd say "Spiders, Man" is where it starts getting really good.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Marc Evan Jackson will be appearing on Brooklyn Nine Nine! (http://www.avclub.com/article/heres-who-will-be-playing-andre-braughers-husband-106659)

I've just started watching the show and so far I like it; I'll be looking forward to his minor appearances, I like when people from podcasts start popping up on TV and I really lke MAJ.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

New episodes should start again this Monday, *edit* Monday January 13th, according to the @thrillingadv twitter. All is kinda of quiet in TAH-land since it's been on Christmas break the last couple of weeks.

And in case you haven't seen in the Welcome to Night Vale thread, the WTNV guys are editing the episode where Mark Gagliardi, Marc Evan Jackson, Craig Cackowski, Annie Savage and Hal Lublin all guest starred back in October, so hopefully that'll be released soon.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 3, 2014

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Jib Janeen fan art to ring in the New Year, posted by @ThrillingAdv:

http://twitter.com/miss_dapper/status/418867284032380928/photo/1

http://twitter.com/bethisomething/status/418925206887886849

Hi, all my space buddies!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Before this thread, I had never heard of TAH... and now I've just gotten the graphic novel for my birthday! :D

Thanks for convincing me to start listening, OP!

Also, having watched both The West Wing and more recently, Scandal, somehow I didn't realize that Joshua Malina was the Barkeep until someone pointed it out. My mind is still blown by that. Haha.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Jet Jaguar posted:

Jib Janeen fan art to ring in the New Year, posted by @ThrillingAdv:

http://twitter.com/miss_dapper/status/418867284032380928/photo/1

http://twitter.com/bethisomething/status/418925206887886849

Hi, all my space buddies!

The first one above was drawn by my good friend Shannon, who runs the fyeahthrillingadventurehour tumblr. Here's more of her stuff she's put on tumblr.

The Red Plains Rider
Croach
Croach and Sparks
A different Sparks and Croach in color!
She drew the picture of Captain Laserbeam and Phillip Fathom, someone else put the comics cover and filter on it. When I go see the show in April I'm going to bring a high quality print of it get Hal (and John DiMaggio if he's there, which I doubt he will be since it's for Sparks Nevada's I'm From Earth Day Special) to sign it for her.

New episode this morning, and it was awesome. Red as Luke Skywalker, Glenn as Princess Leia, Richard Speight Jr. as Jabba the Hutt. I'm happy Red got her own segment, she's one of my favorite characterss. Hopefully no more breaks again til next December! :)

Annakie fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 13, 2014

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
I posted this in the Welcome to Night Vale thread too but: There's going to be a TAH/WTNV crossover show at ECCC.

http://emeraldcitycomicon.tumblr.com/post/74010023036/the-thrilling-adventure-hour-and-welcome-to-night

radlum
May 13, 2013

Dark Grapefruit posted:

I posted this in the Welcome to Night Vale thread too but: There's going to be a TAH/WTNV crossover show at ECCC.

http://emeraldcitycomicon.tumblr.com/post/74010023036/the-thrilling-adventure-hour-and-welcome-to-night

That's gonna be great; I'm guessing a Beyond Belief segment for the crossover.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

radlum posted:

Is it an actual crossover or just a double billing?

What a show either way, though. Throw in The Bugle as halftime entertainment and that's my Perfect Podcast Storm.

Edit: reread the link, "one story, two creative teams". Epic.

Leospeare fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 23, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

radlum posted:

An hour of Sadie and Cecil just reading lists of weird things at each other. :allears:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

They posted on the TAH Facebook page that they're probably not going to to release the episode until late this year or early next year. :cry: Now I really want to go to Seattle.

Especially with the screening of the movie. Acker & Blacker told me and the other Wiki admin in an email (and said it was okay to share with people) that it's not going to be the official cut of the film, more like a focus group to get feedback.

Oh yeah and Marc Evan Jackson's episode of Brooklynn Nine Nine is on Feb. 4th. He was also on The Middle last night and the 100th episode of Parks and Rec a few weeks ago.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Don't forget that Marc Evan Jackson will be on Brooklyn Nine Nine tomorrow!

I got my question answered on this morning's podcast by Marc and Paul! (The one about Mark and Paget.)

What I found most interesting is that Paul isn't going to be at Emerald City Comic Con, so the theory that the Welcome to Night Vale crossover would be with Beyond Belief is... probably not correct? I mean they could have it just be Sadie but, that seems unlikely. I'm even more intrigued about what they're going to do now. Theories?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Annakie posted:

What I found most interesting is that Paul isn't going to be at Emerald City Comic Con, so the theory that the Welcome to Night Vale crossover would be with Beyond Belief is... probably not correct? I mean they could have it just be Sadie but, that seems unlikely. I'm even more intrigued about what they're going to do now. Theories?

drat, there goes my longshot theory that Cecil would be replaced by Jib Janeen. "Hi, all my hooded buddies!"

I love both of these shows but they're so different in setting, tone, and comic style. I have no idea how they're going to pull this off. I think they will, and it will be fantastic, but damned if I can see how.

Maybe they'll just go full-on sitcom crossover, like when Urkel would visit Full House or something. "Hey everybody, Cactoid Jim is here and he's brought his cousin Cecil to visit!" "Hello, Martian listeners." (wild studio audience applause)

radlum
May 13, 2013
That's a dissapointment, I really like PFT and I was expecting to hear him in the crossover. Still, really looking forward to it.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Well poo poo I've listened to episodes 1-35 over the course of 2 days and I am freaking hooked. That puts RGD on 3 for 3 of excellent podcasts.

My favourite part so far has been sitting for episodes going "I know that voice... who is it" then finally paying attention at the right moment and hearing "STARRING JOHN DIMAGGIO" upon which I promptly poo poo rainbows. I'm onto the Sparks Nevada stint that is post Red Plains Rider and he's doing stuff with Mercury. Please say Croach comes back :shobon: Also there is something about Paget Brewster's voice acting in Beyond Belief that just tickles me, everything she says just makes me start giggling like a dumbshit.

I kind of like the Black Lagoon serial but when you listen to several TAH episodes at once, the sudden transition to a piece that is recorded in a sound booth with no audience humming in the background is kind of jarring, I think I may listen to the black lagoon seperately in chunks.

Edit: I love their penchant for guest stars, every time I hear Gummy I want them to get Rich Fulcher on the show, I just get the feeling that he would slot perfectly into a show like this.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 9, 2014

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I've been listening through the show's archives for the past month or two. I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like Beyond Belief. It feels too formulaic, in that half of the show is taken up with jokes about how Frank and Sadie are alcoholics. Just doesn't appeal to me. Sparks Nevada, on the other hand, is fantastic, and I love Captain Laserbeam just because John DiMaggio sells it so well (and I wish Philip Fathom would get his own segment or a standalone episode or something). I wish they'd do another Jefferson Reid segment just so they could have him do General Flagwell again.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

See that surprises me because Captain Laserbeam is the very definition of formulaic. The "hearing his laserkateers echoing" schtick got old quickly.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Sex Robot posted:

Well poo poo I've listened to episodes 1-35 over the course of 2 days and I am freaking hooked. That puts RGD on 3 for 3 of excellent podcasts.

My favourite part so far has been sitting for episodes going "I know that voice... who is it" then finally paying attention at the right moment and hearing "STARRING JOHN DIMAGGIO" upon which I promptly poo poo rainbows. I'm onto the Sparks Nevada stint that is post Red Plains Rider and he's doing stuff with Mercury. Please say Croach comes back :shobon: Also there is something about Paget Brewster's voice acting in Beyond Belief that just tickles me, everything she says just makes me start giggling like a dumbshit.

I kind of like the Black Lagoon serial but when you listen to several TAH episodes at once, the sudden transition to a piece that is recorded in a sound booth with no audience humming in the background is kind of jarring, I think I may listen to the black lagoon seperately in chunks.

Edit: I love their penchant for guest stars, every time I hear Gummy I want them to get Rich Fulcher on the show, I just get the feeling that he would slot perfectly into a show like this.

Don't worry, Croach will be back soon. :3: (He's my favorite, too.) And Paget gets to say a lot of funny words, often! It becomes a thing and you'll love it!

Also note that they just released episodes 40, which is the This American Wife interview with Banjo and Gummy, and 41 which is the actual first episode of Tales from the Black Lagoon, so you'll find those near the top of the podcast list.

Johnny Longtorso posted:

I've been listening through the show's archives for the past month or two. I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like Beyond Belief. It feels too formulaic, in that half of the show is taken up with jokes about how Frank and Sadie are alcoholics. Just doesn't appeal to me. Sparks Nevada, on the other hand, is fantastic, and I love Captain Laserbeam just because John DiMaggio sells it so well (and I wish Philip Fathom would get his own segment or a standalone episode or something). I wish they'd do another Jefferson Reid segment just so they could have him do General Flagwell again.

The Bens actually want to do another Jefferson Reid episode too, they just haven't been able to get Nathan Fillion back on the show in awhile (though he's going to be in the concert film and probably will be back soon, so I've heard.) When they do have him, they need him for Cactoid Jim. My hope is the next regular show he's in he'll be in a Sparks episode and then a Jefferson Reid episode. There's also Jefferson Reid section in the Graphic Novel. At least Flagwell has also shown up in Amelia Earhart occasionally, too!

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!

Sex Robot posted:

See that surprises me because Captain Laserbeam is the very definition of formulaic. The "hearing his laserkateers echoing" schtick got old quickly.

Oh, it's just because of DiMaggio. If it were just about anyone else (like, say, Nathan Fillion), I wouldn't like it nearly as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Beyond Belief has to be more formulaic than any other universe. One of the lynchpins of the scenario is that Frank and Sadie love each other and liquor (in no particular order), and want to get rid of anything that prevents them having free access at their loves.
If you get a chance, watch 'The Thin Man.' In addition to being a delightful movie, you can see the direct inspiration of the Doyle's in Nick and Nora Charles.

Also Hal Lublin's operatic intro to the double-story episode a while back is the bestest thing ever.

Sex Robot posted:

laserkateers echoing
echoing
echo...ing

• Locked thread