Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm a few days late listening to this episode. God I hope they keep Ginny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I really want to hear more about this universe where they're all in high school.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Evil Mastermind posted:

I really want to hear more about this universe where they're all in high school.
I think that was a shot at the fan-ficcers who do that to the Night Vale cast. So that means if you look around, somebody's already done it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I think that was a shot at the fan-ficcers who do that to the Night Vale cast. So that means if you look around, somebody's already done it.

Of course it was. Especially the universes where they have "other preferences", since Sparks/Croach shipping is a thing.

I still want to see Mars High School.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
That stuff goes waaaay beyond Night Valero fans.

+1 for wanting Mars high school.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Fanfic is not limited to night vale fans. The whole ep had me in stitches.

"I'm the high school, aren't I?"

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Oh, Moonshine Holler, how I've missed you.

Craig and Hal are awesome, but I kinda want the alternate universe show starring John Hodgman and PFT.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I thought they were setting up an "Evil Banjo" situation, but the outcome was so much better. I need to find a way to work "bottom of page 50" into normal conversation.

Just deserts!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I love all of Thrilling. Sparks is the Bens' baby, and it shows. Beyond Belief is the fan favourite, and I totally understand why. But Moonshine Holler? That's their masterpiece. It is consistently the best part of TAH.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
This episode was so amazing to watch live. From Craig and Hal sneaking around the stage and into the audience a little, along with Mark's hilarious faces he used for that voice, and Paul's Cholly face and Hal spending a good five minutes asleep on Craig's shoulder. Also, Hodgman's smug, smug look after his "Justice Hurts" crack.

Moonshine Holler is by far my favorite middle segment. A Hamlet I think will always be my favorite episode but this one was amazing, too.

That last episode of Sparks is really fantastic, too. I'm kind of glad they took the Force Galactic away from the Barkeep. It's way too convenient having one of the main character's best friends able to dues ex machina everything back to normal at whim, but they used it to great effect while he had it. The West Wing references in the ep were great, too.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I kinda wish I had seen the late show now. This was amazing

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I'm loving this episode, but I just want to make sure: there is no Crisis on Infinite Marses Part 1, right?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
No, there's not. From what some friends have said, it's a reference to a comics thing, I don't get it, but that's the whole title.

Also, this episode was a bitch to recap for the wiki but really amazing. I love that they're closing out their live run by making everything as off-the-rails as possible.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Annakie posted:

No, there's not. From what some friends have said, it's a reference to a comics thing, I don't get it, but that's the whole title.

That would be the Crisis on Infinite Earths, where DC Comics tried to wrangle their out-of-control continuity by reducing their multiple realities into one singular one.

Also, if there is not fanart of Mabel Pines dressed as Sparks (because that's honestly all I could hear), I will be sorely disappointed in the internet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And to keep with the comics references, trying to create a "good world" out of pieces of alternate realities is a major point of Infinite Crisis, the second of the three major "cosmic crises" in DC comics (the first being the aforementioned Crisis on Infinite Earths, the third being Final Crisis.)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Tickets for the late show on 3/7 are up for sale, if you want to go and don't have tickets yet. The show will probably sell out so, grab 'em if you want 'em. *edit* already sold out.

Issue #1 of the Sparks and BB comics come out on the 18th!

I really love how they're wrapping Sparks up. (Spoilers for today's ep ahead). All of the character growth has been great lately, with Red accepting her dual heritage, Red and Croach's relationship, Croach admitting he has feelings and considers their group of friends a found family, Sparks... mostly ready... to commit to Ginny.

Though I kind of want to see an episode or two of Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Earth.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 9, 2015

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Drunk Croach is the best Croach, though Gelato-Eating Croach is way up there.

Loved the Crisis of Infinite Sparkses. Oh god, who else can they get to play Jib Janeens? Please, let one of them be Paget. "Hi, all my buddies!"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Saw the late show tonight - lots of fun, as always. Not as many interesting guests this time around, but Keegan-Michael Key was there again, and was terrific as always. I won't spoil the twist for tonight's middle sketch, but it's really funny.

I got to talk to Mark Evan Jackson at the end of the show again, and he was really lovely, as always. One interesting thing he told me: when I said I was sad that the show's time is running short, he said that we'll see how short that time really is. Some of the stars of the show (particularly Paget and Busy) are doing their damndest to keep the live shows going for as long as they possibly can. That made me really happy to hear. Who knows, maybe we won't be deprived of the show as much as we thought we would be.:)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Annakie posted:

Tickets for the late show on 3/7 are up for sale, if you want to go and don't have tickets yet. The show will probably sell out so, grab 'em if you want 'em. *edit* already sold out.

I saw this message too late. Oh well, I still have tickets to the last show.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

I saw this message too late. Oh well, I still have tickets to the last show.

I believe I might have an extra ticket, a friend might have another, if you want to go still I'll check in and see the status of that today. A bunch of us were trying to get tickets for ourselves + people who weren't at their computers the moment tickets went on sale and we ended up buying one or two extra.

Let me know. I'll be there so we can easily coordinate the whole thing.

*edit* Yeah, confirmed, I have one and a friend has another. Let me know if you want 'em for face value (like $32 or whatever after fees.)

Annakie fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 15, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I spent the weekend binging through Beyond Belief. I'd never listened to TAH before, but now I'm hooked. I've finished BB, so I'm going to just go back to the start and work through the rest of the series in order now.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Annakie posted:

I believe I might have an extra ticket, a friend might have another, if you want to go still I'll check in and see the status of that today. A bunch of us were trying to get tickets for ourselves + people who weren't at their computers the moment tickets went on sale and we ended up buying one or two extra.

Let me know. I'll be there so we can easily coordinate the whole thing.

*edit* Yeah, confirmed, I have one and a friend has another. Let me know if you want 'em for face value (like $32 or whatever after fees.)

I'm interested, I'll see if I can round up a friend to go with.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

I'm interested, I'll see if I can round up a friend to go with.

Cool, I'll PM you :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

In case you managed to not be aware so far, The Sparks Comic #1 is out today!. Picked mine up at the comics shop at lunch.

The physical copy contains both the first part of the new story AND the issue #0 from back in the fall.

If you're new to the show, both of those stories take place before the podcast, so they're completely safe for new fans, too.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Triple posting!

Looks like I still have one ticket for the March (10th anniversary!) late show up for grabs, if anyone wants to go, send me a PM to work out payment and meeting up. The ticket is $32.50 (face value after fees.)

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Been relistening to a bunch of old episodes (after I caught up to Dead Author's Podcast, which is mostly great) and on the African Beyond Belief, apparently Sadie's killed three kings after shooting both lions. Did we ever find out who that was? Is there a more pointlessly trivial question?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Please tell me somebody has a picture of Misha Collins' latest outing on Beyond Belief! I have a mental image of his huge goofy grin and I want to corroborate it with reality.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

I spent the weekend binging through Beyond Belief. I'd never listened to TAH before, but now I'm hooked. I've finished BB, so I'm going to just go back to the start and work through the rest of the series in order now.

I went the other route, and listened to everything not Sparks Nevada the first time, then did all Sparks in order.

Everything else they've done pales in comparison. Sparks is truly genius.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Malloreon posted:

I went the other route, and listened to everything not Sparks Nevada the first time, then did all Sparks in order.

Everything else they've done pales in comparison. Sparks is truly genius.

That's a funny way to spell "Moonshine Holler"

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I started by listening to everything, but somewhere around the time Croach came back and Jim showed up I dropped everything else to focus on Sparks because I just got so caught up in it. By the time I listened to The Piano Has been Thinking I was in so deep I knew it was going to be one of my favorite things for life.

I think I listened through Sparks twice before catching back up with everything else. I love almost all of the segments, but Sparks is definitely my favorite.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Has anyone else got really bored of tTAH after being really into it after a while? After all the adverts and updates where they just put up three slightly different variants of the exact same dialogue, I just got bored of not knowing if I was listening to new content or not. Now I really only listen to Beyond Belief, but all the shows seemed to have been going in some cannibalistic story loop that just never progressed. The worst was probably when that superhero one just had the exact same plot each god drat episode, they got a little better, but I still got bored of it.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Megaspel posted:

Has anyone else got really bored of tTAH after being really into it after a while? After all the adverts and updates where they just put up three slightly different variants of the exact same dialogue, I just got bored of not knowing if I was listening to new content or not. Now I really only listen to Beyond Belief, but all the shows seemed to have been going in some cannibalistic story loop that just never progressed. The worst was probably when that superhero one just had the exact same plot each god drat episode, they got a little better, but I still got bored of it.

I have no idea what you mean by "cannibalistic story loop" - are you saying some of the shows are episodic and don't have season-long story arcs? Well yeah, some of the TAH shows are based on a premise and tell standalone stories. Captain Laserbeam is pretty same-y from episode to episode with its recurring dialogue and plot beats, but so was Superman in the 40s. If you want an ongoing story with regular plot progression and changes to the status quo, you want Sparks Nevada.

I don't know what else to tell you. The variant episodes were an illustration of the variety of performance you get on a tour, and it only happened one time, so it's an odd thing to complain about not knowing if you're getting new (entirely free) content.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Megaspel posted:

Well it's funny after the post above yours, but I'm really bored of Sparks Nevada (which is a shame because I like Marc Evan Jackson in basically everything) and nothing else. Probably because I couldn't possibly care any less about Red and the Troubleshooter and their relationships with the characters who are actually funny. I can't get enough of Beyond Belief, though. I'll be really sad when we've heard the last from Frank and Sadie.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
Got tickets to the Auckland show. Never thought I'd get to say that, even after they announced the Down Under tour...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Leospeare posted:

Got tickets to the Auckland show. Never thought I'd get to say that, even after they announced the Down Under tour...

Buying tickets to the Auckland show ASAP. I'm really glad I decided to start listening to the podcast in time to be able to see it here!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

http://thrillingadventurehour.com/shop/on-tour/ - Anaheim, Austin and Chicago appearances

http://thrillingadventurehour.com/downunder/ - Sydney, Auckland and Wellington

If anyone is on the fence about going to the Improv show as well as the regular show, do it. The improv show in New York last year was hilarious.

I'll probably be working a few shifts in the booth at C2E2 and will be at the shows, I literally already had plans to visit some family in the WI/Chicago area the week before C2E2 so I just extended my trip another weekend.

Ironically, the only time TAH is going to be within driving distance of me (Austin), I'm probably going to be busy, and have to miss it.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I've been enjoying almost everything about the latest Sparks episodes - especially HALP - but I'm sick of the relationship drama. The last Moonshine Holler was also amazing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At first I'd say Paul F Tompkins stole the show but then they had a reveal at the very end. I won't spoil it since they'll almost certainly repeat the reveal next month.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I was relistening to a bunch of episodes again and I remember hearing from I think this thread about Marc Evan Jackson's appearance in Episode 135, 'Station Break' *robot fist-dragging noise*, so I went to the facebook to see if they had a picture.

They did.

I have a little bit to go to get up to 200 on this relisten though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

http://workjuice.tumblr.com/post/113978574897/kickstarter-closing-the-curtain-more

Whole bunch of updates and info here, from kickstarter reward mishaps (man I'm mad I missed it) to exactly what's happening showwise, including;

quote:

Q: What will happen to the podcast?

Assuming we don’t run into audio mishaps, the podcast episodes will run out around August. As of now, it is our plan to keep the podcast episodes available via iTunes and Nerdist.com for some time. We know that new fans are finding TAH all the time, and we want to make sure they’re given the opportunity to start at the beginning.

That is not to say they’ll stay up forever. We’re working on some new ventures that may necessitate the removal of some of those podcasts. But we’ll give you plenty of notice via social media and our mailing list if that’s going to happen.

Time to panic download

• Locked thread