Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Finally finished Dual Destinies just a short while ago. I'd say it's my second favorite Ace Attorney game after Trials & Tribulations (skipped AA4 because gently caress AA4, haven't played any of the Investigations games)

Now I gotta download the DLC case and save that whale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey now, AA4 isn't an awful game. It's flawed for sure, but there are good things in it.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

My opinion on AA4 was soured after I learned it was propaganda for the jurist system, and it led to an ending that makes no sense and goes against using the evidence to solve the case and getting the defendant a not guilty verdict

On top of that, Apollo barely has anything to get us invested in his character in AA4. It took until Dual Destinies to flesh out his character and make him really good

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So less than a week until we get a new PW.

How's the difficulty of this one? Probably just as hard as aa5? I don't think they'll ever return to the difficulty of the original trilogy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Apollo Justice became so much better in the games follow AJ that while AJ sucks I am okay with it existing.

Ineffiable posted:

How's the difficulty of this one? Probably just as hard as aa5? I don't think they'll ever return to the difficulty of the original trilogy.

It's really not very hard at all but I never found the older games very hard either so YMMV. I'd say it is about on level with DD though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I thought all the cases in AA4 were obnoxious and bad (with 4-2 being the least bad, which says a lot) and the plot was terrible. AA5 salvaged what they could of that game, but I'm very glad they mostly pretended like it didn't happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

I thought all the cases in AA4 were obnoxious and bad (with 4-2 being the least bad, which says a lot) and the plot was terrible. AA5 salvaged what they could of that game, but I'm very glad they mostly pretended like it didn't happen.

AA6 acknowledges a lot more of it as a warning. Though I don't think it's as bad when it isn't surrounded by the rest of AJ.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

My opinion on AA4 was soured after I learned it was propaganda for the jurist system, and it led to an ending that makes no sense and goes against using the evidence to solve the case and getting the defendant a not guilty verdict

On top of that, Apollo barely has anything to get us invested in his character in AA4. It took until Dual Destinies to flesh out his character and make him really good

Case 4 of AJ blows and all but I don't think i've ever heard someone say it doesn't make sense. It's absurdly anti-climactic but that's not really due to the jurist system and more due to how wonkily set up the final case is.

Also honestly, despite what everyone says, Apollo is pretty alright in his debut. He's not important which is the big issue, but as a character he's fine. He's not even a one-to-one copy of Phoenix like people claim.

I mean, it's still my 2nd least favourite AA game but I don't think the whole jurist system thing or it being 'propaganda' is really the problem.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Waffleman_ posted:

Someone go warn Mia before it's too late.

Probably too late at this point.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I've not played it but they stated they felt aware they gave too many hints in Dual Destinies and weren't going to repeat the mistake again.

Also, you can investigate everything again, I think?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Probably too late at this point.

There's another whole day!! Someone can still save her!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Apollo is the most Raiden motherfucker ever so it makes sense that his debut is really uneven.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

AA6 acknowledges a lot more of it as a warning. Though I don't think it's as bad when it isn't surrounded by the rest of AJ.

I guess we'll just have to see. I know AA5 had a different head writer, so that game turning out decent gives me faith AA6 won't flop, at least. As long as it's not Hobo Phoenix it probably won't be too bad.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Case 4 of AJ blows and all but I don't think i've ever heard someone say it doesn't make sense. It's absurdly anti-climactic but that's not really due to the jurist system and more due to how wonkily set up the final case is.

Also honestly, despite what everyone says, Apollo is pretty alright in his debut. He's not important which is the big issue, but as a character he's fine. He's not even a one-to-one copy of Phoenix like people claim.

I mean, it's still my 2nd least favourite AA game but I don't think the whole jurist system thing or it being 'propaganda' is really the problem.

They used their first opportunity to showcase their brand new jurist system by rigging it by putting the defense attorney's mother on it. I know conflicts of interest show up in like, every single case in the series, but that just felt really sleazy and bad.

Apollo wasn't really a copy of Phoenix, but he never got a chance to shine. He's just used as a gigantic tool the entire time, so they could make Phoenix Wright the hero again.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I really liked hobo phoenix and I hope he gets a dlc costume as it again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

I've not played it but they stated they felt aware they gave too many hints in Dual Destinies and weren't going to repeat the mistake again.

Nah, your investigations are limited to specific places again.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
IIRC Phoenix was shoved into AA4 against the writers' will, so it makes sense that anything to do with Hobo Phoenix turned out awkward as hell while simultaneously overshadowing Apollo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Haifisch posted:

IIRC Phoenix was shoved into AA4 against the writers' will, so it makes sense that anything to do with Hobo Phoenix turned out awkward as hell while simultaneously overshadowing Apollo.

The way I heard it was that the dude just had a mandate to include Phoenix in the game. He didn't have to make him take over the whole storyline like that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

voltcatfish posted:

If it's between DD and the trilogy in terms of difficulty, then that would be the sweet spot.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, your investigations are limited to specific places again.

I think he meant there's an "examine" command for all scenery, which is a feature that was cut for AA5 and was indeed resurrected for AA6.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Is there going to be a new thread for AA6 when it comes out?

Also the AA anime continues to improve Justice for All. 2-3 got cut down to 3 episodes and made the characters far more likable while getting rid of the horrific stuff like the Max/Trilo/Regina love triangle. And then 2-4 cuts Lotta out of it entirely and replaces her with Larry, which makes a lot more sense considering it's Edgeworth's return and the stakes of the case.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I could make up a new thread tomorrow if wanted.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I could make up a new thread tomorrow if wanted.

Hell yeah

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sigh. Maybe i should replay AA5 to get ready for this. I didnt really like AA5 so I've avoided replaying it up until now but I think I might want to have stuff fresh in my memory

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Sigh. Maybe i should replay AA5 to get ready for this. I didnt really like AA5 so I've avoided replaying it up until now but I think I might want to have stuff fresh in my memory

There's no particular reason to. There's one case that calls back to AA5 and it isn't anything significant.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I was gonna too but I never got around to it so oh well, let's press onwards

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice - Object'n World
Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice - Boarding Pass From JPF to KRN
Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice - Yes, Maya's Back
Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice - So You Say You Want A Revolution

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

The fake difficulty in the original trilogy sucked and I hope it doesn't come back.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The fake difficulty in the original trilogy sucked and I hope it doesn't come back.

what fake difficulty

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pixel hunting, half of the testimonies being annoying because it's ambiguous what statement/evidence you're meant to use to point out the contradiction

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Don't press the clown unless the walkthrough says it's okay" was horrible garbage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice - As American as soba noodles

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I felt Dual Destinies was way too hand-holdy, they telegraph hardcore just about every solution you're supposed to come up with. It's probably one of my least favorite entries.

But I'm one of those weirdos who liked AA4, so.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It wasn't a big deal since I don't play AA for the gameplay, but it sucked how often solutions were flat-out stated or close enough to being so.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 5, 2016

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Aww snap, the DLC costumes are going to be free for everyone during the first week of SoJ's release.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was the same way in DD, too. These are the Sengoku Basara costumes, right? Or are there more costumes?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Games > Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice - This is Ace Attorney 6 and it's Fine

Waffleman_ posted:

It was the same way in DD, too. These are the Sengoku Basara costumes, right? Or are there more costumes?

Please be the Sengoku Basara costumes, I need Big Boss Phoenix in my life.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I really really hope the DLC case makes its way over here. The AA5 DLC case was arguably the best case in the game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Pope Guilty posted:

"Don't press the clown unless the walkthrough says it's okay" was horrible garbage.

don't press him when he's making his goofy face, ya dumby!!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Games > Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice - Foolish foreign attorney travels to the future that is Kurain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Dual Destinies is a good game because it's the only game in the series where I learned how to finish cases 4 and 5 without looking up the answers. So I felt very accomplished and it was a really cool feeling

• Locked thread