Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Started case 5 this morning and I think it was spoiled for me. Can I get a simple yes or no? Was talking with a friend about how good the animations and models in the game are and he linked me to a gif of Fulbright shooting out some kind of grappling hook in court and not looking amused. I kinda forgot about it but now the characters are talking about spies and... is Fulbright really going to end up being the big bad guy of this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Punch your friend in the face as hard as you can.

:sigh: Is it still worth it to go through the trial? I'm kinda depressed about it now. Worse because I'm insanely gullible so if I had encountered it on my own I probably would of lost it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I finished the game, is the DLC worth it?

Few thoughts for the game/ending but I think the reason why I felt let down about Fulbright the most is that we never get to see the Phantom's real face. I think that's the honest reason why people don't like the reveal all that much. When his head was sliced open I was expecting either a robot or a mask and when he pulled it off I forgot for a moment that I had just cleared Starbuck so started laughing. "WHAAAT?" Only for him to start pulling off masks. From that point on I kept making saves because "this breakdown is going to be amazing!" Then it came and he kept cycling through more and more (even Blackquil) and it ended with him and a new Fulbright mask- only to get shot and have his face covered and pushed off screen. I didn't care what his design would end up being (I imagined something similar to Ted's face after his goggles exploded) but not getting anything just left me wondering "they are going to show it right?" only for it to never come.

That gif really did ruin the initial shock though going in. Knowing full well Fulbright was the real mastermind the entire time I was just waiting for Phoenix to go "So who could it really be???" and let me select him already.

Though do have a few questions (though probably just overthinking gags) but when Phantom does try to escape with the grappling hook Phoenix just yells HOLD IT and he comes back down. How come he just didn't take off? I mean I don't think anyone in the court could of followed him. Then there's one point where he attacks Simon and Simon does his cut thing... only for the spy weapon to return to fulbright and everything goes back to normal. I would of figured Simon would of cut the tether or something. Also, did Phantom die in the Japanese version? It's a murder mystery game but it feels so out there that he got shot and all we get is a "whew he somehow lived okay moving on."

That all aside I really did enjoy it- I played 1-3 and... I honestly loved the characters but I found the logic behind some of the cases just far too obtuse and while being able to inspect everything for flavor text is fun, I'd often get stuck on pixel hunts for a item and spend a lot of time examining every screen for little things and just wasting a lot of time in general so I didn't have too much fun actually playing them. When I got to my first examination I was thrilled that it highlighted things of interest, let alone checked it off so I don't accidentally reclick on things. I even welcomed the fact that the game only let me examine certain screens and stopped me after everything was examined! Now I'm just trying to figure out a few name puns now as I'm shockingly bad at them.
Jinxie Tenma I get is Jinx but not sure if Tenma is anything.
Alderman Kyubi I think deals with foxes? I'm not sure.
Conner O' Hugh I have no loving idea.
Clay Terran I think is about the Earth but for some reason I don't feel confident in leaving it at that.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 3, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Terper posted:

Apollo is the sun, Clay is the Earth.

Oh god dammit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So someone who doesn't know anything about the iOS port why is it bad?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is it bad that I want to use hint coins to blow through the final Layton vs PW trial? There's like 10-11 guards and it's frankly kind of overwhelming me

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm related to the judge I can't keep track of their names aside from Shakey, Foxy and Wordsmith and that's my biggest problem

Visually biggest problem though is how faithful they were to Phoenix's sprites. I really wish they layton-ized everyone because as is Phoenix is this towering dude who's more concerned with staring at Laytons hat then looking at anyone.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

precision posted:

I seriously cannot figure out how the translation for the Layton game stories is so well done, and yet there are always a few puzzles that are worded in such a way that you can sit there for 20 goddamn minutes going "this makes no sense" until you just give up and use a Hint Coin or two in order to figure out that it was just worded in a funny way.

I'm not even talking about the intentionally deceptive ones. Those I can spot the flaw in a mile away.

There are a number that I overlooked like a goddamn idiot :cripes:

Final Trial puzzle "Light the two gems simultaneously!" Got both beams on a single crystal each and waited for the "you got it animation". It didn't come so was just confused. "oh gently caress I need to get both lasers on both crystals?!" Tried for that for a good while before blowing the hint coins which just flat out said "turn the middle crystal you idiot". Pop there it goes.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 5, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Boy that ending was complete dogshit

Not because what happened in it was bad actually, it just had no idea when to loving end. Like it was almost 2 hours of nonstop cutscene with a very obvious "match shapes" sequence at the end, like they really couldn't have gotten a editor to cut most of the useless poo poo out? "I am dying of a disease... but actually not really. I have the medicine!" "...!" "...Father!" "Woah!" "With this medicine I will not die!!"

Then why even bring it up? Just cripes game end already

Edit: I find it hilarious that I called Darklaw being Eve. "Okay if magic is supposed to exists I bet Darklaw is this cat, same eye color, the things in her hair looks like cat ears and both are black themed." Ending came around and while I was technically wrong was still glad they had the twist of Eve being Darklaw, and the comments on similarities made me kinda feel smart for once even if it was super obvious. Was waiting for a certain other black cat to show up though even if it wouldn't make ANY sense though.

Edit 2: Also not sure if it's worth spoiler tags but I thought most of the animations during trials sucked rear end and the models colors looked way to washed out. Maybe it's due to playing DD first but the only animations I can recall standing out are Emeers and Olivia's. Everyone else felt kinda subdudded or didn't have anything new to offer outside their single animation. Knightle would draw his rubber sword and hide behind his shield but that was it, I dunno, the court just seemed to be missing SOMETHING and I can't quite place my finger on it, but it never felt really satisfying to nail anyone with evidence.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 5, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ChaosArgate posted:

Maybe that Cat you were hoping for was there, as an unseen shade because his fur is coincidentally pure black, and he's really working his magic to operate all of the things for the shades?

Actually speaking of shades doing the "magic", can someone explain to me how Godoor is supposed to work? Or did they just hypnotize Jean into thinking she grabbed the letter and attempted to strangle Newton while the shades did all of that?

There's a few things that confused me on the ending, keep in mind I was going at 3:00am so some things may not of stuck but on top of that everyone decides to stay and live and while yeah they don't have the story or power of suggestion aren't they still going to outright drug with more of the water? What exactly happened to make you a shade, like did Kira fall into the wagon, get handed some robes and told "deal with it" or what? If they went into that instead of "I'm dying but not really" I think maybe I wouldn't of felt so immensely burnt out by the end of the story.

That and the main prosecutor Barnham really, REALLY should of come back. I was excited to see him as a witness or hear testimony from him because he felt like a actual good character but nope, entire ending I was just laughing to myself about how he's the only one in the dungeon and christ is he going to be confused if anyone remembers him... but nope here he is in a bright pink shirt sure.

Oh and what was the deal with the wagon driver? She seemed fully aware of what was going on but wasn't dressed like a shade and didn't act like one

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Now I feel bad I totally wanted caged luke but the only thing I could find was a blurry camera phone gif. Oh well

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope there's plenty of color. Biggest knock against Layton vs Phoenix is that all the colors are so washed out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Does the new game come out tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

hopeandjoy posted:

Tomorrow at noon EST.

Dang, was keeping as blind as possible, apparently extending to it's release.

• Locked thread