Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
If only you could apply spells to your base weapons, I want a shotgun that makes people poop ghosts when they die!

I had a strange shotgun from a crate once, I didn't know what strange meant, or the relative value of said strange weapon. I wondered if I could use it to make more strange scrap like the halloween stuff..

It did not. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Brasseye posted:

Monoculus is a complete son of a bitch compared to the wizard boss. he teleports somewhere else whenever you get a good shot on him, kills in one hit and doesnt seem to have a kryptonite like the huntsman on the wizard. Itll be worth it once I get the achievement & can freely annoy the poo poo out of everyone that hasnt killed him yet though :twisted:

See that glowy thing Monoculus leaves behind when he teleports? Jump into it (it sucks you in if you're close enough so don't worry about being super accurate with the jump). Go through the course in sub-dimension and when you're back in eyeaduct, you have super speed, invuln and 100% crits. Crits stun Monoculus so you can get easy hits on it then, just beware that he goes MAD once he wakes up from the stun.

I personally found the wizard being much harder to kill, even with huntsman. Just bad luck on prop hunts I guess.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

QwertySanchez posted:

If only you could apply spells to your base weapons, I want a shotgun that makes people poop ghosts when they die!

I had a strange shotgun from a crate once, I didn't know what strange meant, or the relative value of said strange weapon. I wondered if I could use it to make more strange scrap like the halloween stuff..

It did not. :saddowns:

If you want a cheaper route for ghost shotgun, get a regular killstreak kit for shotgun, apply it and then you can put the spell on it. If you need the spell, I can trade it cheap. Got three of the drat things in a row. Just word of advice, don't put ghosts on flame thrower. The flames cover up the effect pretty well. :saddowns:

EDIT: Actually you can just put spells on the stock wepons with no killstreak needed! Choose spell, use it and when you're searching for a weapon for it, tick the box "show stock weapons" above the inventory slots.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 24, 2014

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Laputanmachine posted:

If you want a cheaper route for ghost shotgun, get a regular killstreak kit for shotgun, apply it and then you can put the spell on it. If you need the spell, I can trade it cheap. Got three of the drat things in a row. Just word of advice, don't put ghosts on flame thrower. The flames cover up the effect pretty well. :saddowns:

EDIT: Actually you can just put spells on the stock wepons with no killstreak needed! Choose spell, use it and when you're searching for a weapon for it, tick the box "show stock weapons" above the inventory slots.

I'd trade for one of those, that's the spell I'd been hoping for.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Laputanmachine posted:

See that glowy thing Monoculus leaves behind when he teleports? Jump into it (it sucks you in if you're close enough so don't worry about being super accurate with the jump). Go through the course in sub-dimension and when you're back in eyeaduct, you have super speed, invuln and 100% crits. Crits stun Monoculus so you can get easy hits on it then, just beware that he goes MAD once he wakes up from the stun.

I personally found the wizard being much harder to kill, even with huntsman. Just bad luck on prop hunts I guess.

Thanks, I'll try this later. The wizard probably seemed easier for me because the server I was on worked together surprisingly well and about 5 people switched to huntsman sniper real quick. That & the tracer effect of the bow points everyone in the right direction when he teleports away.

I hope people stop being stupid and trying to sell the glowing footstep spells for a key each soon. It looks cool and everything but a key is ridiculous.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Brasseye posted:

Thanks, I'll try this later. The wizard probably seemed easier for me because the server I was on worked together surprisingly well and about 5 people switched to huntsman sniper real quick. That & the tracer effect of the bow points everyone in the right direction when he teleports away.

I hope people stop being stupid and trying to sell the glowing footstep spells for a key each soon. It looks cool and everything but a key is ridiculous.

This is why you sell all of your spells now and buy them back at a fraction of the price in a weeks time.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
When does the Halloween rubbish end? I can barely find any servers that run my favourite maps, because it's all this Halloween event map nonsense with dumb gimmicks. I just want to shoot the mans.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

When does the Halloween rubbish end? I can barely find any servers that run my favourite maps, because it's all this Halloween event map nonsense with dumb gimmicks. I just want to shoot the mans.

I think someone earlier in the thread said everything was tagged to expire Nov. 8th, so the day after.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Caddrel posted:

I'd trade for one of those, that's the spell I'd been hoping for.

Check your PMs.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Do spells on weapons expire after you apply them, or is it a permanent addition?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Uhhhhhhhhh how did I not know there's a weapon effect that makes ghosts come out of victims ??

So many full moons wasted ...

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

Peanut President posted:

What would a spooky weapon look like? Covered in cobwebs?

It would be a ghost version of the weapon, akin to Scary Hat.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

LogisticEarth posted:

Do spells on weapons expire after you apply them, or is it a permanent addition?

Valve changed the expiration interpretation last year, but they didn't say anything until after the Halloween events.

Spells that are "applied" are allowed to exist forever. However, unused spells expire and are deleted.

I lost over 10 spells because I didn't apply them to items.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Arae posted:

Valve changed the expiration interpretation last year, but they didn't say anything until after the Halloween events.

Spells that are "applied" are allowed to exist forever. However, unused spells expire and are deleted.

I lost over 10 spells because I didn't apply them to items.

To clarify, the effects remain on the weapon permanently but are only visible during Halloween and Full Moons.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Are there any resources on make taunts for the workshop? I have a few I'd like to try my hand at making but one will require use of particles so I'm not sure how to go about making it

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Dammit picked up a gift but didn't get anything from it. No new ones spawned in the next 15 minutes either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jusupov posted:

Dammit picked up a gift but didn't get anything from it. No new ones spawned in the next 15 minutes either.

You sure you didn't just get stuff but not get the notification too? I thought the same thing happened to me but I looked in my inventory and had six of those voodoo-cursed parts like the fish and robot arm.

Also, can someone: Show off some of the Halloween effects on their characters or point me towards a guide showing off Halloween spell effects on the Steam community?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I've found that if you join MapA, and a gift drops but you do not pick it up (end of map, server restart, etc.) and join a new server on MapB, a gift will (usually) spawn before the timer of the first gift is done counting down - you get a 2nd Gift Appears message, you stand over the gift, and you get absolutely nothing. A short time later, you'll get a message popup "Gift has despawned" or something, which is actually talking about the gift that appeared on MapA - which leads me to believe there is a bug in Valve's code related to multiple-present spawns. Next time this happens to you, wait to pick up the MapB gift until you get the Gift Despawn message.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Otacon posted:

I've found that if you join MapA, and a gift drops but you do not pick it up (end of map, server restart, etc.) and join a new server on MapB, a gift will (usually) spawn before the timer of the first gift is done counting down - you get a 2nd Gift Appears message, you stand over the gift, and you get absolutely nothing. A short time later, you'll get a message popup "Gift has despawned" or something, which is actually talking about the gift that appeared on MapA - which leads me to believe there is a bug in Valve's code related to multiple-present spawns. Next time this happens to you, wait to pick up the MapB gift until you get the Gift Despawn message.

Maybe it was this. I didn't remember to check scores before joining a server and the map ended shortly after I joined.

RareAcumen posted:

Also, can someone: Show off some of the Halloween effects on their characters or point me towards a guide showing off Halloween spell effects on the Steam community?
Here is my glob with spectral spectrum. It looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWzr52sPve0

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I was going to get a name tag for my gibus but it turns out the character limit is 40 and "Derek Zoolander Hat For Kids Who Can't Play TF2 Good" is too many characters. :(

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
For the Halloween spells that you can apply to items, do their effects only show up during halloween/full moon?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Krenzo posted:

For the Halloween spells that you can apply to items, do their effects only show up during halloween/full moon?

That's right.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I painted the Menpo with some Hallowe'en paint and the pulsating glow on the accents looks pretty good. That's my paint story thanks for reading

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jusupov posted:

Here is my glob with spectral spectrum. It looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWzr52sPve0

Cool!

So, I thought it was just my mouse juttering at first but after giving Pyro and Loose Cannon a shot I'm pretty convinced that the Huntsman is messed up now. Which is a real shame because that's one of the easier ways to fight Merasmus. Anyone else having problems with the Huntsman?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

oddium posted:

I painted the Menpo with some Hallowe'en paint and the pulsating glow on the accents looks pretty good. That's my paint story thanks for reading

My spell story: I sold all the ones I've got between my accounts and I got $12 so far

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

qnqnx posted:

My spell story: I sold all the ones I've got between my accounts and I got $12 so far

that's hosed up. All of my bombs make the pumpkin explosion and my robot soldier has a low voice.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

mabels big day posted:

that's hosed up. All of my bombs make the pumpkin explosion and my robot soldier has a low voice.

You can put the voice spell on all-class hats to save money :ssh:

I put mine on my Burning Flames Team Captain.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Abyssal Squid posted:

You can put the voice spell on all-class hats to save money :ssh:

I put mine on my Burning Flames Team Captain.

Lol.

But I haven't spent any money on spells. The deep voice on robot soldier is from the first year when I didn't know they'd last forever.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

It will be less hosed up when this event ends and ends helping me funding my next unusual :colbert:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mabels big day posted:

Lol.

But I haven't spent any money on spells. The deep voice on robot soldier is from the first year when I didn't know they'd last forever.

They didn't last forever the first year. But there were a couple of bugs you could exploit to keep the spells from expiring, so they changed them the year after to be permanent (but only visible during full moons).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Meanwhile on non-event servers things are proceeding in the same manner as they always are.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a point to putting dropped spell pages into your spellbook? Does that change anything?

Edit - Trying to fabricate the pile of curses (using the blueprint) gives a "no matching blueprint" error?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 25, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Cool!

So, I thought it was just my mouse juttering at first but after giving Pyro and Loose Cannon a shot I'm pretty convinced that the Huntsman is messed up now. Which is a real shame because that's one of the easier ways to fight Merasmus. Anyone else having problems with the Huntsman?

The arc of the arrow depends on how much you've charged it, unlike flares and the loose cannon that have the same arc all the time. Maybe that's making it hard for you to use it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I wish you could dominate engis by destroying their sentries, especially the minis some of them poo poo out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But don't revenges score more? So that would just be more points for doing basically nothing.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Jusupov posted:

I wish you could dominate engis by destroying their sentries, especially the minis some of them poo poo out.

Sentry health and engineer health should be shared. This includes mini sentries.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Man, you guys are very mad about Engineers, pretty much constantly.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I've been really enjoying an all pirate load out for demoman, using the loose cannon to jump and fly around the map, while using the persian persuader and tide turner for added melee range and speed without losing any health, I only use my cannon as a weapon in emergencies, it's mainly for launching me around the map. So having every pickup be health is useful too. I rarely use my full compliment of bombs before I get killed anyway so it all works out.

I want more weapons that give the classes more options in play style (hello fat scout), but I want in on some of those cosmetic items that affect gameplay for those wearing them too like the alien stuff, I hope to see more items along that line this halloween.

Let the heavy use the shields as a replacement for his minigun.

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

qnqnx posted:

I have also amassed a wealth of spells thru alt accounts, and intend to use them on the new Halloween poo poo that'll be coming out next week :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

mabels big day posted:

Man, you guys are very mad about Engineers, pretty much constantly.

I love it.

"poo poo i got killed by an easy to hit target because I wasnt paying attention. Better bitch about it instead of changing my strategy or working together."

• Locked thread