Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

It's pretty lame that there are no elite CBs, that means needy teams will probably reach on the true late first-rounders before the Bengals get to pick one up.

Since the Bengals will never ever spend a high pick on a safety for whatever stupid reason this is pretty much going to be a straight BPA draft which will own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

How on earth does this stupid Stafford vs Dalton conversation come up so often?

Also I don't know what it is now but going into this week Dalton was like 7th in completion percentage sooooo

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I'd be happy if the Bengals took McCarron in the 3rd or 4th, since unless Dalton lights it up this postseason I'd be willing to bet they spend a pick on a QB in that range.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

What on earth would lead you to believe McCarron is better than Dalton

Not that he's better or even as a replacement for Dalton, but everything I've read makes it sound like his skill set is kind of similar and would be a good backup for an offense built around Dalton. I don't think Dalton is getting benched or anything but he's a free agent after next year and I can't see them retaining him if he plays poorly next year. McCarron wouldn't be a long term answer or anything but I think it's better to plan for that now than to worry about it next year if it has to go down like that, but it would be dumb as hell to spend a higher pick than a 3rd or 4th on that.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

I don't see it. If there's any belief that Dalton isn't the guy (and I think he's been good enough to invest in though not throw top level money at him) then you don't draft a guy who is similar to him as a potential replacement

Either you reup Dalton or you go after a different type of QB, you don't chase a guy who is similar

e: basically I'm saying you don't go from Dalton to a guy whose ceiling is Dalton

I think if the Bengals win on Sunday Dalton gets extended in the offseason, full stop. I suppose you're right in the situation where you're not sold on Dalton but in the situation where you do commit to him (which I think the Bengals will, even if he is forced to prove it in 2014 I don't think he'll play poorly enough that they wont commit but it is still a possibility), I think it's a good idea to have a similar quarterback as a backup to not have to change the offense too much if he's forced to play.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

CSU Long Beach:

poo poo this isnt the baseball thread

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The Bengals needs are pretty much spot on and, barring a top qb falling in their lap in the 1st, I think it's a virtual lock they'll go CB and then QB with their first two picks.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

A lot of people on the Bengals forum seem to think they're going to target a QB in rounds 3-4 to push Dalton.

I'm kind of torn on whether I'd want to see that, if you want to replace Andy that's one thing, but you can still find starters at other areas in those rounds with a good selection.

If they're actually serious about having a contingency in place for Dalton they'll take a QB in the second at the latest, and if a top QB free falls I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the Bengals in the 1st if they are actually trying to replace Dalton, but I don't think they are. They'll definitely take a QB in the 1st 4 rounds though, and probably would even if Andy was Tom Brady, just because Josh Johnson was brought on board to fit Gruden's system.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

That draft is indeed terrible but I think I'd be fine with Nix

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

The only position the Bengals definitely won't pick in the first two is OG. Everything else is on the table.

LB would be a head scratcher though.

WR or RB would be really weird

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I don't know much about him as a prospect but is there literally any way Blake Bortles doesn't end up like Blaine Gabbert, based on name alone

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I don't watch college football because my school doesn't have a team, but that's good for all of you because if I cared enough to watch I'd just root for USC

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I'd just like to say the best ending to an NFL game this year was Matthew Stafford's fake spike, and the best ending to an NFL game in the past like 5 years was Matthew Stafford throwing the game winning touchdown on an untimed down with a separated shoulder to beat the Browns. Basically Matthew Stafford owns, peace

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I have no idea who the Bengals are gonna draft to challenge Dalton. All the talk's been on Murray, but teams don't generally talk about players they're actually gonna draft.

Tanier put out an article about this today where he suggests Mettenberger: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/72149298/nfl-draft-cincinnati-bengals-zach-mettenberger-first-round-qb

I disagree with him but it kind of highlights the lovely situation the Bengals are in. One thing I do think for sure (that I think Tanier is wrong about) is that the Bengals will absolutely take a falling Manziel or Bridgewater at 24 and may even consider a small trade up, perhaps to leapfrog Arizona.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I know losing Anthony Collins sucks but I really don't think the Bengals take a non-center offensive lineman in the first three rounds like every single mock draft seems to have us doing

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Atticus Finch posted:

Similarly, I hope Dee Ford somehow drops to the second and they get him there.

Dream scenarios aside I don't see any way the first three rounds aren't some order of CB, DE, and one BPA pick where they do something weird like a falling Carlos Hyde or Mettenberger or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Ehud posted:

@mortreport 5m
Another "surprise" QB team to watch: Bengals, even though there are needs at CB & DL. Teddy Bridgewater is in discussion as fallback option

lol andy dalton

This would not surprise me at all, like I've posted before, I don't think they'll trade up or anything but if a top 3 QB is sitting there at 24 I think they have to think long and hard about it

• Locked thread