Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The best thread, all hail bewbies. The Niners are gonna need hella bodies at WR and DB this offseason with nearly everyone on the current roster at those positions either reaching free agency soon, or in Carlos Rogers' case a likely cap casualty. Luckily we've got picks for days and Baalke loves his draft-day trades.

e: And seriously, how can you not want to draft a guy named Haha Clinton-Dix?

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If Mariota is available when the Eagles pick, he'll be in Philly faster than you can blink. They'll probably win too many games for that though, so I would hope for their sake they go defense.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Carr's putting up pretty excellent numbers for Fresno State this year and reports on him from an attitude/work ethic perspective seem universally positive, but there will be LoC questions and I haven't watched any of their games this year so I couldn't make an accurate scouting report on him at all from a physical perspective.

I'm so fascinated to see what happens with Manziel. To me he just looks like a disaster waiting to happen at the pro level with how often he walks the razor's edge on every busted play. Somehow he comes out smelling like a rose more often than not at A&M but with the massive jump in athleticism on defense in the NFL I just don't buy that it will translate. And that's without even getting into the off-field poo poo.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I take issue with one thing in your evaluations, bewbies: Bishop Sankey's an incredible name and all, but how can you sit there and tell me that it beats out Lache Seastrunk?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

kiimo posted:

God Marqise Lee is so perfect for the Chiefs but he'll never drop.

The Chiefs should trade up for this guy but guess what we already gave away our second.

And now you're 7-0. You're welcome. :colbert:

Anyway, I'm gonna have to try to watch more Florida and TCU because I like the sound of both Purifoy and Verrett for the Niners. I already see a good amount of Oregon and definitely would be excited if we landed Ekpre-Olomu.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Perception is not really that important and the post-season cycle will really determine where his value is. Everyone scouting Bridgewater knew that Louisville was not going to face top competition this year. He's had only one middling game this year against Rutgers and that'll get broken down and zaprudered plenty I'm sure.

A lot will probably depend on what level of team Louisville plays in their bowl game and how Bridgewater performs then. That's his best opportunity to face a more credible team and defy that criticism, at least to a degree.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

kiimo posted:

Has Glenn been playing well?

He was never a good fit for out defense. I see he has two sacks this year. That's half his career total in KC.

Dorsey's taken over the starting NT job since Ian Williams went on IR and has occasionally rotated in at DE. He's done quite well for us so far, considering the value of his contract I'm very pleased with the signing.

Coldforge posted:

The Niners already have Ray McDonald and Nick Moody, so I guess they've maxed out their allotment :eng99:

Still want him.

Moody was from FSU, I believe.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Declan MacManus posted:

"Perception" means where he's supposed to go; if he's not supposed to go high then he won't declare.

That's the reason these players have agents prior to actually entering the pros: to advise them on where they're likely to be drafted and the risk vs. opportunity equation of going back to school for the potential to make more money in a later draft.

Obviously that stuff can still change after the declaration is made, but it still absolutely matters. I wonder how the whole Barkley debacle will affect a lot of these draft-eligible but still younger QB prospects.

jeffersonlives posted:

There was no significant debate between Luck and Griffin. Indy wasn't even pretending that it was a discussion, to the point that Griffin wouldn't even work out for them because they had tipped their hand months earlier that the pick was Luck.

Yeah, the 'should Indy take RG3???' debate was pure time-filler for the cable networks, there was never any doubt of who Irsay wanted.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Grittybeard posted:

Weren't people souring on Barkley before he actually declared, or is that my imagination?

Yes, but the point was that he didn't declare in 2012 because he thought he would make more money if he got out from underneath the shadows of Luck and RG3, and it turned out he had a terrible senior season and lost millions of dollars. People soured on him over the course of the 2013 season, but if he had declared the prior year it wouldn't have played out that way. It's one of the biggest 'perception' hits from year to year I can remember, at least for a quarterback.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Also, part of the problem was that Mike Nolan drafted Smith because he was 'a winner', and then proceeded to cram him into an offense that featured absolutely none of the things Smith did (and did really well!) in college.

Mike Nolan is a bad coach.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Eifert Posting posted:

Not to mention over 8 YPA. He's 6th in the league in YPA, 4th in TDs and yards, 8th in percentage. I think he's OK.

This is all a new level for him though, his first two seasons he was really mediocre in pretty much all those categories which is where the debate initially came from. He's breaking out now though, so good for him.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Toymachine posted:

He's like Matthew Stafford. Guy who consistently puts up 300+ yard games but never wins anything.

'Consistently'? Dalton's had 3 300+ games this year, and prior to that he's had more games where he was held below 200 yards than gone over 300.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Rap posted:

It's all still up in the air, but if Clowney proves himself absolutely incredible at DE then you just take him and take a QB in round 2. And sign Jason Campbell or Matt Schaub or Josh Freeman or whoever hits the market that year. I don't think trading down is a wise option, it's hard to get a fair return for it.

Yeah, if Cutler and/or Schaub hit the open market this offseason (which I don't think they will, but hell it's all hypothetical at this point) Jacksonville signs one of them, takes Clowney and then they've improved massively at two positions without having to walk the tightrope of developing a QB prospect. Then they can take one of the midround guys if they're especially enamored with a particular guy with rough edges and bring him along slowly, or wait.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Draft crushes die hard I guess, but I maintain that Austin still has potential in a system that would actually move him around creatively like they did at West Virginia. That system is not in St. Louis, but that's on Fisher and Schotty, not Snead for drafting him.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Also Keenan Allen owns and is basically San Diego's new #1 WR and I'm glad we drafted him

If he keeps going at the pace he's at he's got an outside shot to break 1000 yards for the year, which is pretty impressive when you consider he basically didn't get on the field at all for the first 4 games of the season. I'm happy that the knee injury didn't end up holding him back in the pros and that he ended up on a team that I can feel good about rooting for him to succeed on.

Come to think of it, you could field a pretty ridiculous offense with former Cal players currently in the NFL right now.

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB1: Marshawn Lynch
RB2: Shane Vereen
WR1: Desean Jackson
WR2: Keenan Allen
WR3: Marvin Jones
TE: Tony Gonzalez

You'd have to cheat a bit for the OL because only Mack, Schwartz, and De La Puente are starters right now, but for skill positions that'd be a pretty dominant unit.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

IR: Jahvid Best

Ugh, don't remind me. Best was one of the most exciting college players I've ever seen, every time he touched the ball there was a chance he'd juke about 8 guys on the way to taking it to the house. It's such a shame what happened to the poor guy.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I'm pretty sure he was on the Cal team that beat Oregon that one year, that was awesome

He was! He and Vereen were both on the team at the time actually, that was 2008. Kind of the last year before it all started unraveling, too. :smith:

That was a pretty tame game for Best by his standards though, in comparison with this one, which I attended in person and will always be my indelible memory of him. 22 touches for an average of almost 11 yards per play. :allears:

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 4, 2013

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

DangerKat posted:

Allen did also miss both the combine and Cal's pro day then put up a miserably slow time when he finally had his own pro day. It wasn't just other guys getting hyped above him.

He was still rehabbing the injury at the time, but obviously missing those events is never a good thing for your draft stock.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Doltos posted:

That works 100% but I avoid names that are too awesome. Like Baccari Rambo is a great name but it was a little too good, and I realized that he'd be a head hunter because of it. It's how I know Mike Evans will be a pedestrian possession WR, because Evans is a pedestrian WR name. Jackson Jeffcoat though? That DE is going to be all world.

Legedu Naanee is my go-to if we're talking about poo poo players with awesome names. It's just too much fun to say, so he couldn't be any good, because then you would say it too much and it would ruin the experience.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I would think linebacker and especially secondary would be priorities for the Lions in the draft, they've got plenty of talent in the front four and their OL is actually very solid this year. WR depth could be shored up but honestly with Calvin Johnson constantly drawing triple coverage and still hauling 100 yards if not more per game, you don't need a whole lot of talent to get catches around the edges there.

Bush was a great pickup for them, having a dude who can catch out of the backfield when Megatron's drawing all the DBs is huge for their offense.

The Lions can really afford to go BPA as much as nearly any team in this offseason, they're not absolutely stacked or anything but there are very few obviously subpar units for them to address.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

BlindSite posted:

I know this wide receiver class is considered pretty top heavy, but who would be the most consistent hands wise outside of the top guys. Carolina really needs someone with consistency and I'm curious who's got the best hands.

Proooobably Marquise Lee? I haven't watched a ton of college this year but it's my impression that there's not really a Deandre Hopkins-level hands of steel guy this year. This WR class seems to be all about jump ball guys with ridiculous catch ranges instead.

But Carolina won't be in range to draft Lee unless they lose out, pretty much.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Because Kolb, Kafka, Hall, and Feeley turned out so great under Reid's tutelage?

This is kind of disingenuous because none of those guys are even close to the level of prospect Manziel is, and I say that as somebody who's not convinced about his ability to succeed at the NFL level at all.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Who was the TE that got busted for coke a couple weeks back? I want to say he was from Oregon.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I want Marquise Lee so bad and it makes me feel dirty because I loving hate the Trojans.

We'll never get in range to draft him though so it's a moot point.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I want Lee and Allen on the same team :allears:

I would think you would want some corners worth a drat first, but my fetish for drafting DBs is well documented.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

If the rams were in my division I would hate the redskins so much for gifting them a free top 5 pick my god

Yep, especially since Snead actually knows how to draft unlike their last GM.

gently caress you Snyder, as if the Rams weren't enough of a hassle before.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Also, if the coaching staff changes they could convert defensive schemes too for all we know. It's not like JJ Watt would suddenly start sucking if he played DT full time, and then they could let Smith walk to save the cap space.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It would be loving dumb to risk negating the best defensive player in the league by changing schemes.

Congrats on completely loving your draft positioning Bucs. I got to watch you be atrocious all season and now we won't even get anything for it.

I sincerely doubt that Watt's ability would be compromised by sliding him slightly further inside the line and putting a generational talent next to him if you have the opportunity to draft one, but hey I'm not a DC so what do I know.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Intruder posted:

Getting Cutler and Clowney would make me so happy

Cutler's not leaving Chicago, at least not this offseason. They'll tag him at the very least.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Trent Baalke is apparently at the Fresno State/San Jose State game today, who beyond Carr is considered draftable on those teams?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Welp, I'm sold.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Quest For Glory II posted:

well. alright then :stare:

Is this really the state of nfl scouting? He has moxie?

These are the things scouts say when they want to fluff non-projectible guys who were successful at the college level. They can't talk about tools or tape so they have to justify it somehow.

e: To be clear I don't think McCarron is actually a terrible prospect, although he'll almost certainly be overdrafted based on said college success as guys usually are. He's a high-floor guy more than a high ceiling one, but a lot of teams could use one of those. For example, if Jacksonville were to take Clowney instead of a QB in the first and then take McCarron on the second day that would probably make them dramatically better in both spots.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 2, 2013

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If a team actually gets swindled out of significant draft capital for Kirk Cousins they deserve everything that follows.

Intruder posted:

I guess in a QB draft this deep it might make more sense to take Clowney

And again, this is only even really a debate if you consider Bridgewater head and shoulders above the other guys, and by May that might not even be the case.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Why would I take the top DE over the top QB?

For example, the Texans have what is arguable the best DE in the league putting up some all best seasons and they've got 2 wins vs the Colts pre/post Luck, the Seahawks pre/post Wilson etc. Get the drat QB if you want to win. It's the single most important variable in the game today.

Because your coaches might not think the QB is likely to turn out well?

Using Wilson as your example when he was drafted midway through the third round should be like, the biggest possible example why this reasoning is stupid and flawed. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick and Tony Romo went undrafted while Akili Smith and Joey Harrington were top 5 picks.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Tony Romo is better than Matt Ryan by a lot and the Cowboys have frequently missed the playoffs throughout his long tenure as a starter.

This is the part where I also point out that he wasn't even drafted. The idea that GMs can just magic a guaranteed starter-quality QB out of the first round of the draft if they just want it bad enough is ludicrous.

And using Adrian Peterson as your example of a team that doesn't value the QB position enough through the draft is hilarious because Christian Ponder was taken 12th overall the same year Newton came out, when just about everyone realized that was a huge reach.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Tony Romo is the only reason the Cowboys haven't been a bottom five team for the past six years. The fact that they've been consistently at or above .500 is a loving miracle.

It's not magic it's playing the odds. I already explained this. If you decide that a good QB is your best chance for winning what is your best chance for getting a QB? Notice I said BEST chance, BEST not guaranteed, not magic, BEST chance, as in BETTER than a second round pick or a third or a sixth or a loving UDFA. BEST CHANCE. That is why you draft the best QB in the draft if given the opportunity.

The best QB in this draft isn't Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, he's a smart, reasonably toolsy 21 year old who's had occasional struggles against pretty soft college competition. There's absolutely great upside there (what you call 'the best chance'), but let's say we compare him to say, Sam Bradford, another solid but not excellent #1 QB prospect. Is the disparity between Bradford and Case Keenum really worth passing up the opportunity to add a guy like Clowney to your team, especially when Keenum is dirt cheap and doesn't really prevent you from making different plans for the position in the future like spending #1 overall would?

These decisions are not made in a vacuum and it's really silly to pretend like they are.

seiferguy posted:

Russell Wilson, Tom Brady and Tony Romo are more exceptions and not the rule to QBs. Most, if not all of the QBs starting on good teams were drafted in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

Edit: that isn't to say a 1st round pick won't be a bust, of course.

Most of the QBs that fans would consider really good weren't #1 overall or even top 5 picks, though. Getting the 'best QB in the class' because that's what you have to do if you want to win is a fallacy.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yeah but I mean, does winning a game with Ryan Lindley as quarterback really count?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
This line of discussion creates a fun game!

Regular season stats, 2009-2013:

Player A: 7.0 YPA, 6.6 AYPA, 4.5 TD%, 2.9 INT%, 84.2 passer rating
Player B: 7.7 YPA, 7.5 AYPA, 4.3 TD%, 2.4 INT%, 92.2 passer rating

Player A: Matthew Stafford
Player B: Matt Schaub

I've banged this drum a lot before, but Stafford is dramatically overrated as a player because he racks up pretty counting stats from throwing the ball a billion times. In 2012, what is usually considered his worst year to date, he broke Drew Bledsoe's record for pass attempts in a season.

Not to mention that the thought experiment taking a Stafford-level talent at QB first overall (which we have no way of knowing if Bridgewater would be considered, yet) over Clowney presumes a Stafford-level outcome, which is fallacious to say the least.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Kirios posted:

I'd also take Matt Ryan over Clowney.

See, now that's a caliber of player where I would actually start to buy this argument. But again, this presumes both that Bridgewater is a Matt Ryan-level talent and also that this would translate directly into becoming a Matt Ryan-esque player in the NFL, which are both huge logical leaps.

I just think it's funny to see statements like 'Matt Schaub is a bum, what we need is a guy like Stafford!' when with the exception of this year Schaub has been demonstrably better than Stafford for the duration of the latter's career. At Schaub's age I don't entirely dismiss the notion that they should move on from him, but I think there's a lot of underestimation of just how good he was for Houston for several years and that the specific Stafford counterexample is a pretty goofy.

Kirios posted:

So are you going to tell me Matt Schaub is a better quarterback than Matthew Stafford? Because if so I'm going to laugh at you and discredit your opinion from now on. Go on, please, tell me that.

Right now, at this moment? Obviously not. Stafford's career track record isn't nearly as good as a lot of casual fans think it is though, and Schaub's is much better. Without the single best WR in the game by leaps and bounds, I might add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Kirios posted:

1. The avatar is fantastic and you shut your mouth bhsman.
2. The avatar + text combo is turning out to be more correct than you and I could have even guessed.
3. Matt Stafford is 25, Schaub is 32 and on the downswing of his career. Grozz Nuy, to pull stats like that without any context behind them, is at the very least being extremely disingenuous.

Do you think Stafford is going to get much better after his fifth season in the league? I mean, I suppose Tom Brady and Alex Smith did it but in the modern NFL usually by this stage in their careers you pretty much know who guys are.

My point was not that the Texans should hold onto a 32-year-old Schaub, but if they draft Bridgewater over Clowney and he turns out to be a player of roughly the same quality that Stafford has been to date... then they're pretty much back to where they were in 2010 in terms of QB play, if not a little worse.

• Locked thread