Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Can other Bears fans tell me what/who I should be rooting for them to pick in the first 2-3 rounds? It seems like they have needs everywhere (gonna include QB on that list!). Even their WR depth sucks after the big starting duo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

A Man and his dog posted:

If any GM gives a 5th or 6th for Mallet I'm going to fall out of my chair.

I mean poo poo Pryor actually had game experience and still got dealt for a 7th.

He was taken in the third round in 2011. He now has years of mentoring from Brady and Belichick under his belt. So, somehow his value went down BEYOND a 6th rounder after being taken in the third and gaining valuable NFL pro experience? I realize he's ridden the Bench, but so did Aaron Rodgers for a while under Favre.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Intruder posted:

I don't think you know how trading players for draft picks works if you think his value should go up from a third

Well, if you actually read my post I didn't say that anywhere. My post was an expression of disbelief that someone would think a 6th for him was unreasonable.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Intruder posted:

His value is nil. He has one year left until he's a free agent, so if he somehow pulls something out of his rear end this season you have to pay him a lot of money instead of having four or five years of cheap service time from a draft pick. There's also no reason to believe he'll be worth a crap because in what limited time he's played in mostly preseason he's shown next to nothing.

Better?

Yes, much better. If a team really thinks he might be good, getting him now and letting him ride the bench and re-signing him when he's a FA (and still has shown nothing in live games) would be savvy. But if he's actually good they'd need to play and pay him. So it becomes a complicated question: if you give a 6th for him now, you're paying a 6th and next year's contract. If you wait until he's a FA, you lose out on a possible contributor this season and have to get in whatever limited bidding war (possibly worth more than a 6th) for him next season. It's a non-trivial question and I can imagine a team paying a 6th just to find out. But there are good points on either side.

• Locked thread