Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Awesome thread, not that I expected any less.

I'm desperately in love with Jordan Matthews so your comparison to James Hardy scares the poo poo out of me. Also would be pretty ecstatic over picking up Jenkins but most likely the Ravens let Oher hit free agency and go after a tackle. At least it's a deep position group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I want Jake Matthews on the Chargers so bad

Your team is going to have to go 0-9 to get a shot at Matthews.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Stafford and Dalton aren't that accurate. They also aren't guys who would be a good return for a high first round draft pick.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

MourningBoo posted:

And Kyle Boller was just straight up terrible even in college and got drafted high because of one workout.

Offensive genius Brian Billick :bahgawd:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

MJBuddy posted:

Dalton doesn't gently caress his team over too much and serves as an adequate AJ Green delivery service.

His best asset is that he's incredibly cheap. His 1.3 mil/year contract is an insane value, and one of the best in the league.

In that conversation, and I'm a weird guy and that's the conversation I tend to want to have, Dalton is a top value QB in the league. Arguably the big contract guys still have value and somehow are underpaid, except for Flacco who signed a contract so overvalued he probably killed the Ravens for the next 6 years.

Oh my god is that the worst contract in NFL history? I mean, it's not, but holy poo poo it's so bad.

We over payed Flacco, that's obviously true. He is probably worth about 17 a year. Still, his cap hit is nothing this year and not murder for the next 2. It's the last three that are killer. It would be genuinely shocking if he was not restructured before seeing those years.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ravens Needs

Tackle - May not seem like an immediate need but Oher and Monroe are both free agents at the end of the season so it wouldn't be that surprising to see Baltimore attack this position in the first round.

Center - Gino Gradkowski is horrible. No offense can survive the kind of pressure he lets through up the middle. The man is small, weak, and does not seem to have the requisite football IQ to play center. He can snap the ball okay but that's about it. Ravens absolutely need to address this in the off-season.

Tight End - Ed Dickson isn't an NFL caliber player, Dallas Clark only has one hand, and Dennis Pitta is coming off a serious injury that we aren't certain how he will recover from. More essential to fill a role here than at WR because the line will likely need some help blocking.

Wide Reciever - Jacoby Jones is an aging not solid number two who is also a free agent next year. He is also easily the Ravens second best receiver. Marlon Brown and some others will likely improve as they get more games under their belts but a play maker is definitely needed to compliment Torrey Smith.

Safety - James Ihedigbo is not a long term answer to anything. Preferably a free safety so that Matt Elam can play his more natural position.

Cornerback- Ladarius Webb is injury prone but amazing. Jimmy Smith is mediocre and the drop off after him is tremendous.

So the Ravens don't need a guard, linebacker, defensive tackle, or quarterback. We might be a pretty bad team.

Edit: If we were to rate players by ball catching ability alone what would the TE/WRs list look like? The Ravens need a dependable set of hands badly.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 31, 2013

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Brian Billick once said that Jamarcus was the highest rated player on the Ravens' board and it wasn't even close.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
In the interest of stimulating conversation, who do you all see as a player who has the makings of a first ballot HoFer? Obviously a ridiculously speculative question but outlandish assumptions are part of the fun of draft talk. So come who's your favorite of the bunch and why are you so biased towards him?

For sake of variety lets only have one person cover Clowney.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Also Keenan Allen owns and is basically San Diego's new #1 WR and I'm glad we drafted him

Edit: Beaten. Keenan Allen owns and I wish Baltimore drafted him instead of Matt Elam.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah, everyone was just scared of the injury. He was a huge draft crush for me and I was really losing it when Allen made it to the third and the Ravens had pounced on him. I do love the Arthur Brown pick but ironically hes suffered more from injury than Allen has this year.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Declan MacManus posted:

No one, really. There isn't anyone that jumps out. Besides JaDeveon, Anthony Barr, Louis Nix, Marqise Lee, and Austin Seferian-Jenkins look like pretty amazing prospects, and probably one of the quarterbacks in this class will do really well just because there are so drat many. I'll tell you a bit about Seferian-Jenkins since individual draft profiles seem to be what you're after.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins (Washington)

TE, 6'6, 266 lbs.

Pros: Excellent route-runner, great hands, shows great potential as a blocker, extremely fast for size, basketball playing tight end which everyone loves, good body control

Cons: Busted for DUI. 2013 stats are underwhelming.

1st Seferian-Jenkins
2nd Jordan Matthews
3rd Bryan Stork

is my dream draft, though that is assuming the Ravens finish in the middle of the pack not top 10 which it looks like they might.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Roasted Donut posted:

clowney or marquise lee or top OT available hopefully

You would take Lee over Watkins? I would think Watkins would be a beautiful replacement for Wallace's lost production.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I would also take Lee, Evans, and Matthews over Watkins but I thought I was in the smallest minority. Sammy got that speed.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The hell are you talking about? Mariota is like a Kaepernik clone. poo poo, in a year Mariota's arm might be stronger than Cutler's.

I agree with bhsman about their being too much RT talent to jump on a tackle early if we're talking about any prospect other than Jake Matthews. He really seems to have the potential to be the best LT in the league three seasons from now.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm pretty confident that Jamarcus can still throw a cheeseburger into orbit, not that he ever would.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Volkerball posted:

Wouldn't be the first thing Johnnie Lee Higgins couldn't catch in space.

I love this loving forum and everyone in it.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

commy gun posted:

Cutler has one of the strongest arms the league has ever seen. I mean it could get stronger but not THAT much stronger.

I'm factoring in a bit of a drop off from Cutler due to age, wear, and Chicago O-lines.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 14, 2013

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Wanted to share a nice resource for the amateur scout. http://draftbreakdown.com/ Essentially they collect all the relevant youtube film on a player so you don't have to.

Also, in case anyone missed it being posted over the off season, http://www.first-pick.com/ . A fun little draft game that's easy to sign up for. Their player grades are questionable and the trades are outright ridiculous but its still pretty fun.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Febreeze posted:

So where are the Giants drafting now? The Carolina/Pats game isn't going to affect their standing so I'm curious if we are out of the top 10 at this point.

Just outside of the top ten right now but probably 32 by the end of the season.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
With Manziel's perceived bust potential it would seem like tempting fate for the Browns to draft him.

Besides, Michael Lombardi loves Hoyer.

Somebody needs to talk me down on Mike Evans because I've been watching too much tape and the guy is beginning to look like Calvin Johnson to me.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That's probably a more honest comparison but Jackson is almost certainly faster. Its just that Evans has great jump ball ability and a decent talent for getting open despite the lack of top tier speed.

How the hell did people know Johnson was going to be great when he played for Georgia Tech?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The one thing you don't need in Tampa Bay is WRs.

Calvin Johnson is amazing but I think Larry Fitzgerald might have the best body control I've ever seen. Never has there been a tragedy like Fitzgerald on the 2012 Cardinals.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I figure it looked sort of liked how he's clowned NFL Football.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've noticed that Evans is a little inefficient with his movement after the catch (hesitation on what direction to go, failure to move north/south) but that seems like behavior that should be teachable.

This WR class is seriously loving stacked. As of right now I'd rank the top 5, for the Ravens purposes, as

Mike Evans
Sammy Watkins
Jordan Matthews
Marquise Lee
Davante Adams (if he declares)

Even if you miss on the early round there are guys like Kevin Benjamin, Donte Montcrief, and Brandon Coleman who would all be decent pick ups.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Another quality guy. This class lacks the Fitzgerald/Green/Johnson/Johnson, but the depth is kind of crazy.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Jace Amaro out of Texas Tech has jumped up draft boards this month specifically because of his combination of size and speed. I'm still really high on Austin Seferian-Jenkins. If he drops to the Ravens in the 2nd I would be quite happy.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yep, Colt Lyerla. He left Oregon earlier in the season due to personal reasons. I guess the need to do a lot of blow counts as personal.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That Auburn game was so sad. Murray single handedly engineers that drive with an amazing effort charging through a defender on 4th down for the score and no one will ever remember it. A good heads up play by the receiver but Auburn deserved to lose, or more accurately, Aaron Murray deserved to win.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Mock drafts have been pretty accurate about the Ravens the past few years so all these Mike Evanses I'm seeing are pretty cool.
Still, its November and it all means nothing.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Oakland really picked a crap year to out do expectations. Clowney the Raider would be poetry.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That would be a very sad poem.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Jerry Angelo was so bad at the draft that other fan bases hated him.

What a dick

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It was the principle.

Steve Biscotti wanted Chicago's forth round pick delivered in an envelope made of Angelo's skin.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
There's no AJ Green but there's like 10 Brandon Marshalls.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

bewbies posted:

So I was poking through wiki and found someone did this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team#NFL_Draft_selections

5 top 10 selections
17 first round selections
14 guys who were at or near a Pro Bowl level at least one season
3 guys with at least an outside chance at the Hall (Reed, Johnson, Wilfork)

Is there another team ever that's had anywhere near that much NFL talent?

Not to mention they had Reggie Wayne the year before. So no, that is likely the most stacked college football team we'll ever see.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is Danell Ellerbe not working out in Miami? He seemed to be doing fine when I last briefly checked in on you guys.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Nobody signs Cuttler. The man likes Chicago and even if he didn't there is no way a sane front office allows him to leave.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Has anyone heard anything about Davante Adams declaring? I have really fallen in love with this guy over the past few weeks. Hell, I've fallen in love with this draft class. I would not be at all surprised if we saw seven WRs from this draft go on to have 10+ year careers in the NFL. Sammy Watkins, Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, and Allen Robinson all seem really solid and then you have the higher risk and higher reward guys like Marquise Lee and Mike Evans. Add to that a Kelvin Benjamin and Brandon Coleman as guys who might blow up in the pros.

It all works out to me being really sad when the Ravens don't draft a receiver...again.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

sportsgenius86 posted:

By having the last name Schottenheimer

Its a really good last name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
My worries about Lee are probably unreasonable but a guy that size who already has an injury history does concern me. That said the guy plays like a substantially better Derrick Mason, which is pretty much the highest praise I can give a receiver.

I would be very comfortable with taking Davante Adams in the first. Dude looks like a Cordarrelle Patterson but with great hands.

• Locked thread