Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Thanks bewbies. I've been eagerly anticipating this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Spoilers: The Texans will draft Johnny Football

And it will be my Mel Mudkiper moment

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ozu posted:

Updated with full season SoS.

code:
				Win%	SoS
1. Jacksonville Jaguars		0.182	0.523
2. Houston Texans		0.182	0.551
3. Atlanta Falcons		0.182	0.565
4. Minnesota Vikings		0.227	0.528
5. St. Louis Rams (via WAS)	0.273	0.500
6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers		0.273	0.574
7. Cleveland Browns		0.364	0.494
8. Buffalo Bills		0.364	0.511
9. Oakland Raiders		0.364	0.517
10. New York Giants		0.364	0.540
11. Pittsburgh Steelers		0.455	0.472
12. Baltimore Ravens		0.455	0.483
13. New York Jets		0.455	0.489
14. Miami Dolphins		0.455	0.506
15. San Diego Chargers		0.455	0.517
16. St. Louis Rams		0.455	0.557
17. Green Bay Packers		0.500	0.443
18. Chicago Bears		0.545	0.466
19. Philadelphia Eagles		0.545	0.472
20. Arizona Cardinals		0.636	0.534

Texans are #1 because they lost H2H to the Jags

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SteelAngel2000 posted:

H2H has nothing to do with draft order

Seriously? :stare:

I wonder why I thought it did. So it's only a playoff tiebreaker then?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's for games played so far. He's using the full season SOS

The Jags and the Texans have the same schedule (except for each other) except the Texans have Patriots and Ravens while the Jags have Bills and Browns

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

His size makes him look like a OLB but I've read he's not really suited to play the position so IDK

If he can play the position, then I'd feel super comfortable with a front 7 of Watt, whoever, Smith (on a new, much cheaper deal), Clowney, Cushing, Reed, Mercilus

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Watt manages to be a monster pass rusher at DE in a 3-4 on a team that where he is pretty much the only real pass rushing threat, I think he'll be fine at 4-3 DT or DE

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Getting Cutler and Clowney would make me so happy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

defiantgiant posted:

If they let Cutler walk I am going to throw a thing at my TV. He's the only decent QB we've ever had.

Somewhere Sophia just got really mad and isn't sure why

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

I'd hate to see him leave Chicago, but Cutty as a Texan? Man... :fap:

I should stop listening to sports radio because I get annoyed when ND Kalu and Greg Koch and Charlie Palilo poo poo all over the idea of signing Cutler

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

I'm getting pretty excited about Bridgewater in Houston you guys. :allears:

Yeah the idea of an honest to god elite QB in Houston is pretty enticing

So of course he'll bust hard

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

I'll be happy for Bridgewater but Clowney is the best option.

If we switch to a 4-3 with a Watt/Clowny DE tandem (or Watt at DT) I'll be pretty god drat stoked, that would have the potential to be even better than Freeney/Mathis was. But if we go into next season with no better plan at QB than Keenum then gently caress

I'm also not sold on Tahj Boyd, even if he fell to the 2nd

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm warming a lot more to drafting Bridgewater or maybe Mariota. There isn't a much better situation for a rookie QB than the Texans have. Brown-Jones-Myers-Brooks-a RT who isn't Derek Newton is a pretty nice line, and having AJ80-Hopkins-Posey-Martin-Daniels-Graham as receiving options and Foster at RB is pretty stout. I still hope a healthy Quessenberry can take over the RT responsibilities, but really anyone but Newton would be a pretty massive improvement in pass blocking.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That depends. Do you think Boyd and Mettenberger are 90c on the dollar what Bridgewater is?

Clowney's foot scares me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Clowney is built on high school rep and a single productive year, and moreso on a single play against Michigan. Isn't he mostly riding his blue chip status at this point? It's not like we're dying to draft Garret Gilbert

e: I mean I won't argue that we don't need a pass rusher becuase holy gently caress do we, but with Smith coming off the books and Schaub getting cut that's ~$13m in cap space there, or we could use a day 2 pick on a pass rusher, but passing on a first round QB in a top heavy QB draft is kind of questionable IMO

And we can probably resign Smith at a much lower price

Intruder fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 3, 2013

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

I hate to be that guy but do you watch his tape for this year? He rarely gets left alone with a Tackle; he's often chipped or double/triple teamed, and even when he isn't the play involves a quick pass over him or a run away from him.

Feel free to be "that guy" because I'm looking at his stat sheet, I don't watch CFB

So seriously feel free to correct me

e: is the whole "he doesn't fit in a 3-4" thing bullshit?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 3, 2013

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I guess the idea of having a top QB prospect appeals to me after what I've lived through with the Texans, I don't want another Schaub

Then again I also don't want another Carr :shobon:

bhsman posted:

Ehhhhhhh it's possible; if he gained a few more pounds of muscle he could play the DE spot (he's already taller than Watt, just 15 pounds lighter). Against UNC he stood up on a play or two and blew right past James Hurst, but again the play involved a quick pass.

Is OLB out of the question? Because I'd like drafting Clowney a lot more if he could be opposite Mercilus and Antonio could be signed at a much lighter salary

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well that doesn't mean going QB over DE is always wrong

Also who knows what Carr might have been without the worst OL in history

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I guess I wouldn't be heartbroken by taking Clowney. Also if the Bears let Cutler walk and he somehow ends up in Houston and we get Clowney well that would be my dream scenario. I just don't want to be in a position where Keenum is the starter in 2014

bhsman posted:

EDIT: lol some random YouTuber complained that he uses the swim move too much. Watt would like a word...

Oh man when we drafted Watt I watched all his youtube videos and hated all the ankle tackles and assumed he'd be a huge bust so yeah don't trust my judgement

Intruder fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 3, 2013

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well I'm about halfway through the Tennessee video and all I've seen so far is Clowney getting blocked out of plays by a single blocker or him beating his man away from the side the play is being run to. Also a pretty terrible facemask

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Arschlochkind posted:

Clowney's scouting report has "Facemask leaves something to be desired." at the bottom. Rick Smith ponders it for a moment, shakes his head, and removes him from the Texans' board.

As in he tried to remove a player's helmet via facemask

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I guess in a QB draft this deep it might make more sense to take Clowney

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Arschlochkind posted:

Clowney/Manziel it is then. :v:

:barf:

Now I know why bhsman wants Clowney so badly :mad:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

More likely to get you to the playoffs pick one:

Calvin Johnson, JJ Watt, Cam Newton

It's kind of funny that in this example the QB you picked is the one player listed who hasn't been to the playoffs even if I'm still leaning toward agreeing with you about needing to take the QB

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Exactly. You'd take Clowney if you were going Best Player Available. QB is a need pick. Though in many ways, I think offensive line is a more pressing need for Houston at the moment.

I don't quite agree on this. Newton is a trainwreck, but I think you're pretty solid at the rest of the positions going forward. Ben Jones will do nicely in replacing busted rear end Wade Smith and Brandon Brooks is filling in nicely at RG as well. They're not on the level of the 2011 line but RT is the only real glaring need on the line at the moment, and hopefully Quessenberry's return from injury will address that. If not, you can probably get a decent RT. I think Kubiak just falls in love with his guys and gets stubborn and that's why Newton is still around

I just can't imagine taking a RT #1 overall (although I guess the Chiefs did it)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

We need to just trade the #1 overall pick for Luck

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Arschlochkind posted:

gently caress it, everybody pile into the Clowney Carr. :madmax:

If they take Carr I hope he gets #8 so everyone can recycle their jerseys

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You take Stafford over Clowney 100 out of 100 times

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Player C: 7.2 YPA, 6.5 AYPA, 4.6 TD%, 3.4 INT%, 83.5 QB Rating

Guess I shouldn't want Jay Cutler either :saddowns:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Is he really 30? Ok then, withdrawn

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What is it with you and Boyd anyway?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Keenum 3 times in the top 11 aw yeah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Is it too early to start talking about future superstars John O'Korn and Deonte Greenberry?

It's never too early

When was the last time Houston got a four star recruit before Greenberry?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Fussy Dutchman posted:

loving Greenberry leaving ND high and dry on signing day.

I suppose that makes everyone here like him more :smith:

It owned quite a bit

Man, Atlanta had me thinking the Texans had the #1 pick completely sewn up for awhile there :smith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: forget this I am dumb

Instead I'll say there's no way to say for sure what the SOS will end up being yet, what if everyone the Texans have played wins out and everyone the Falcons have played loses out or something like that. The fact that the final week is divisional games mitigates that somewhat

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 9, 2013

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

They are? The Rams are bad but there are nine other teams with worse records, and 3 other teams that are tied with them right now. I think the best addition they could make in the draft is sending their first rounder to some team as long as they take Brian Schottenheimer with it.

From the RG3 trade

Unless you're saying wioth your trade talk that they shouldn't use that pick and I'm misunderstanding

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Bears let Cutler walk to give the job to Josh McCown then everything I know about football is wrong

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

The Texans getting Clowney would be incredible. I really don't think they should give up on Keenum just yet as getting Clowney would make them rival the Parcells era Giants.

I feel like the Giants had more than three really good defenders and eight guys who are just bodies

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BlindSite posted:

One slight x-factor in the whole QB carousel is Locker. I think he showed enough this year to warrant a shot somewhere, somehow but apparently Tennessee don't want to pick up the option on his contract. IIRC all the contracts are 3 + 1 option then they become a free agent. I think Gabbert is gonzo in Jacksonville for that reason.

Locker in Kansas City to compete with Alex Smith would be ideal, but I think Trestman could work some magic with him in Chicago if they get rid of Cutler. I suppose there's potential there too for him to go to a few places where he could potentially back up or compete with someone who either is in need of replacing or who's star is fading. Pittsburgh, Oakland, Chicago, St Louis, Cleveland, Minnesota, Houston, Jacksonville, and Arizona could all use a young dude who's shown some potential.

There is approximately a 0% chance the Texans would hitch their wagon to Jake Locker

Taking in the castoff who wasn't good enough for the team that left Houston to want to keep? No way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I could live with Clowney/Hundley

Not that I think Hundley would last until the second round if he declared

• Locked thread