Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Volkerball posted:

If Jamarcus didn't get picked 1st overall, he wouldn't have made it out of the top 5. His pro day was probably the best by a QB in history. Al was far from the only person high as could be on Russell. He was extremely raw, but guys with the physical tools to be the best of all time get drafted top 10 all the time even if they are complete projects, just because of the upside they bring to the table. It really isn't the Raiders who lost out on Jamarcus being a bust so much as it is football in general. If any player could have ever thrown an 80 yard TD bomb that came down on the receiver at the goal line, it would've been Jamarcus.

The Browns tried to trade up to #1 for JaMarcus. Everybody wanted him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Ingram was far from the best player in college, but got the Heisman largely on narrative and Wins.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

vaginal culture posted:

Lyerla has been doing coke and steroids since his junior year in high school. No team should go near him.

Most college football players with NFL aspirations are on steroids. Also cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

True. I misread the article. The Browns have been drafting well recently so its my dream for them to have two first round draft picks in two separate drafts and blow the second on terrible quarterbacks both times.

Don't worry, they probably will.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Why does the team with the weaker SOS get the higher pick?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
What scenario needs to happen to ensure the Browns get the #1 pick, aside from them losing out?

Assuming we stay at 4 wins, if all other teams with currently less than 4 wins end up with that many, who has the #1 pick?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The Texans should draft Clowney and get Jimmy Garoppolo in the 4th or whatever.

Tyler Tettleton Time

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Say what you will about Sam Bradford, but he's been improving and would be a gigantic upgrade for at least 10 teams.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Jaguars play the Titans and Colts; Indy will likely be resting starters, so Jacksonville may actually win 1-2 more games and push themselves out of the top 3.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Doltos posted:

Having to endure a bad season after a few mediocre super bowl wins

Quoting this again to make sure it doesn't disappear from the forums.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
A decade of spectacular failure.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Uh...Kerry Collins? Or do QBs not count as position players?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Which QB should I have the most irrational fear of, in a worst case Browns scenario?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Current top 7 picks:

1. Houston Texans - 2-13 (.554)
2. St. Louis Rams (via Washington Redskins) - 3-12 (.521)
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - 4-11 (.504)
4. Cleveland Browns - 4-11 (.517) (3-8 conference record)
5. Oakland Raiders - 4-11 (.517) (4-7 conference record)
6. Atlanta Falcons - 4-11 (.554)
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 4-11 (.579)

Scenarios:

1. if Houston wins and Washington loses, St. Louis (Washington) gets the #1 pick and Houston slides to 2. Jacksonville can take #2 if they lose and Washington wins. Basically, Houston should be throwing this if they want the #1 pick.

2. If the Redskins and Jaguars both win, and Cleveland loses, the Browns move all the way up to the #2 pick. Should the Browns win (yeah right), they could potentially drop to #7 (thanks for the tie game Minnesota!). The Jags could win since they play a Colts team likely resting starters, but the Redskins play the Giants who have nothing to lose or gain. Today we are all Jaguars/Redskins fans.

3. If the Browns and Raiders both win their game, which will not happen since they're playing the Steelers and Broncos respectively, the Browns would still pick ahead of Oakland thanks to conference record, but they would be picking in roughly the same spot of the draft, give or take a few spots.

4. The "best" of the worst, Tampa Bay, could lock up the #4 spot at best if everyone above them wins and they lose. Not too likely.

5. Minnesota is locked at #8 thanks to their dumbass tie and neither a win nor a loss will impact their standing, so go Vikings.

6. There is a lot of movement that can happen between 9 and 19 but who cares about those teams.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The Browns should be picking 4th and unfortunately they are also fourth in line for teams needing to draft a QB. St. Louis may hang on to Bradford, but it takes a special kind of suck to get a top 5 pick and end up with the 3rd-4th rated passer.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
That's not true, Bradford was seen as an elite prospect so much so that St. Louis turned down the entire Browns' draft to pick him.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

say no to bats posted:

Then again, with the current front office, who the gently caress knows. Lombardi got his way and all the insider rumors say a huge part of Chud being fired abruptly is because he had Hoyer third on the depth chart in training camp and didn't elevate him over dumbfuck retard Weeden. In hindsight, this was clearly a mark against Chud given how bad Weeden is/was and how Hoyer looked competent and average but the offense was wide open and he was getting the ball out extremely quickly and to a lot of different players, while also utilizing the big targets in Gordon and Cameron. So maybe the Browns believe Hoyer is the answer and they draft a QB in the mid rounds to develop and go Clowney/Watkins at 4 and whatever else. I sincerely doubt Hoyer is the answer for the Browns but whatever they do will likely be the wrong choice anyway so buckle up.

Banking your future on a guy who has thrown less than 200 passes in the NFL seems like an extremely Browns move.

They need to draft a QB high and I guarantee there will be 4-5 first round QBs and the Browns will get the only one who busts.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Industrial posted:

Because banking on a guy who has thrown 0 NFL passes is way safer.

Hoyer is also in his late 20s with several serious injuries. Going with him as "the guy" isn't a great idea without a backup plan, and they're in a good position to actually draft a high 1st rounder which they will gently caress up anyway.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Bortles is a pretty bad name.

Teddy Bridgewater is objectively the best name in football with Terrance Broadway shortly behind. Look for Broadway to be the first pick in next year's draft.

How quickly we forget Barkevious Mingo.

I just want to make "My son is also named Bortles" jokes so I hope Cleveland drafts him.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Anyone who thinks Derek Carr is going to suck just because he's related to David Carr needs to take a step back and see how stupid that line of thought is.

He'll suck for many other reasons of course, especially if he goes to any of the lovely teams picking in the top 5.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Reminder that the Browns only sent their assistant GM Ray Farmer to scout the senior bowl. Farmer is also currently the top candidate for the GM job in Miami. Michael Lombardi couldn't be bothered to attend and plans to draft based on NCAA 14 OVR ratings.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Senior bowl notes:

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/seen-and-heard-at-the-senior-bowl-012314

quote:

**There is a lot of belief that Banner is in charge of almost everything, and that Lombardi -- though hidden from the public -- "is always talking." Two people told me they absolutely believe the rumors about the Browns and Johnny Manziel are true. "You can put it in your Twitter now and save it," one person said. "They're taking Manziel."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

A Pale Horse posted:

They have over 24 million in cap space right now without making any cuts or restructures, they can afford to sign anyone they want.

They won't franchise Mack or Ward. They had a ton of space last year and didn't use it, and there's no way they value Mack at $10 million or Ward as a top-5 paid defensive back.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
You're right, take a cue from the Browns and throw a 3 yard out.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Parmesan Basil posted:

Football+Mason in the first for the Browns almost seems like fate.

You are assuming they won't trade both first round picks to move up two spots to grab Manziel. They will probably do this.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Quest For Glory II posted:

Welcome to the Browns zone

Get the jersey ready

Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi 4h

"@RapSheet @dinocleveland @MoveTheSticks believes the #Browns guy is Fresno State’s Derek Carr for later in the 1st round // #noise.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Athanatos posted:

The Browns are going to take the greatest player ever in that spot and I am never going to forget the plague that is Trent Richardson

I'm going to just let the fact that you think the Browns will wisely use that pick sink in for a little bit.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The Browns are either fooling themselves or the rest of the league by showing zero interest in any of the QBs. They only sent Ray Farmer to the Lousiville pro day and he was supposedly more interested in some late round LB prospect than Bridgewater.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Quest For Glory II posted:

McShay is literally guessing and being played for a sucker by smokescreens.

Yeah but he gets paid to do it and we do it for free, so....

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The 2013 draft was awesome, we drafted a guy named Barkevious and I'm pretty sure I saw him get a couple sacks when he wasn't sitting on the bench of playing special teams. We also refused a trade down offer from St. Louis to pick him.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Parmesan Basil posted:

The only question we need to ask about #2 is who is going to trade up into that spot once Houston passes on Clowney.

Browns, but to draft the second-best QB left.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Shath Hole posted:

When is the last time someone traded out of the #1 overall spot, though? Isn't it very difficult?

2004. It is much easier to do now that the cap figures for rookies have changed. This would be a good year for it with Clowney and the QBs all potentially going #1 and a lot of teams showing interest.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

amaranthine posted:

I completely agree with you - nobody leaks plans about their low-first pick a month in advance. Not even the browns.

Actually the Browns do that pretty much every year.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

John Brown posted:

Think I might request off on Draft Day because why the hell not? Although, I don't think I've ever watched the entirety of rounds 2 & 3.

Is it worth it?

It depends, does your team plan on making hilariously bad picks, trading up/down a lot, and essentially try to out-think themselves? If so you'll be in for a great time.

Plus, half the fun of the draft is immediately rationalizing how the Guard with an injury history your team took in the first round was a steal and a supremely wise move because X Team was surely going to take him with the next pick!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Zero chance Mallett doesn't get a huge resigning contract with the Patriots now that Lombardi is there.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I think we all know Tyler Tettleton will be the steal of this draft if he can be lured out of his Hamilton Tiger Cats deal.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

zimbomonkey posted:

Schefter says that #1 overall won't be a QB unless the texans trade out.

How much do the Texans want for that pick, because the Browns will probably pay it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
From what I understand, Derek Carr is the king of the screen pass which is either a good or bad thing for the Browns since they haven't successfully run a screen in probably 20 years.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Atticus Finch posted:

Is it conceivable the Browns go Oline? I've been seeing it as an option lately but it seems like a stupid idea.

It is conceivable if they want to draft Robinson as a RT which is a bad idea but it's the Browns so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
College football is lame because my alma matter is in the MAC so I usually have to watch them play different boring MAC teams and lose 1-2 games to a Big Ten team every year before they battle it out in a meaningless Beef O Brady's bowl game.

The alternative is watching Ohio State (or now that I've moved, Michigan or Michigan State) destroy 8 creampuffs a year before they face any real competition though it is hilarious when they lose to those nobodies but all too rare.

• Locked thread