Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why the entirety of TFF loved Dan THE FEVER Lefevour a few years back

I thought that was just everyone being ironic about THE FEVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Every fanbase is terrible, with the Eagles fanbase somehow turning being lovely fans into an art form

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Ireland has proven to make the right decisions with regard to keeping specific defenders. I don't think Soliai will play outside of Miami.

Starks will walk. It'll be Vernon - Odrick - Soliai - Wake

oh my god that D-line is so good ugh

I wouldn't trust Ireland to put his pants on correctly in the morning

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

That was an amazing year for draft hype - one of the most exciting ever. Didn't Bush get an endorsement deal from Nike, and he tried to have the rules changes for running backs' numbers?

By the way, who are the best safeties in this upcoming draft? A Cowboys fan can only dream.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/FS
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/SS

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I didn't think I'd see a worse college QB tattoo than Bray's anytime soon but there it is

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I wonder how long his mother cried when she first saw that thing

"But ma it's got 'Ma' right there on it!"

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

So is Tajh Boyd more like the next Drew Brees or the next Russell Wilson

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Texans should be forced to take Derek Carr in the 1st since they broke the last one

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

Either nobody knows the answer to this question or simply doesn't give a gently caress, but can Clowney play in a 3-4? And what would he be asked to do in any variation of that defense?

Yeah I'd guess 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

I'm reading this and drooling over Bridgewater even more

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-bridgewater-2014-nfl-draft/

Oh my god I think I'm in love

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Azhais posted:

Daniel McCullers perhaps. 6'8" mountain

I think you generally want a shorter NT for leverage purposes but if the dude is massive enough then whatevs

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

f1av0r posted:

Paying too close attention to this really leads you down to a path where sports become pretty repetitive to talk about. I posted way more during the days of crimson ghost jaguar power rankings and sba's Jp losman rants. There's only so many ways you can say don't turn the ball over and score more points. The draft is really the most interesting aspect of football for me now. Probably how college recruiting is for my dad.

The draft is the most interesting aspect of football for me because I'm a Cowboys fan

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

I just saw a mock draft on nfl.com that has Dallas taking Louisville FS Calvin Pryon at 17.

Suggested sources for a analysis of this guy?

That'd be a great pick if the theme of the draft was "let's make Rasczak angry"

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Has tiny ears, might not listen to coaching.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ozu posted:

Its likely bullshit at this point since they don't even have a coach nevermind going through the pre-draft process.

On the other hand it's Lombardi/the Browns

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Haha yeah check this out:

University of North Texas:

QB:
RB: Lance Dunbar (DAL)
RB2: Jamize Olawale (OAK)
WR:
WR:
WR:
TE:
OL:
OL:
OG: Brian Waters (DAL)
OG:
C:

DT:
DT:
DE:
DE:
LB:
LB: Craig Robertson (CLE)
LB:
CB:
CB:
FS:
SS:

K:
P:
LS:

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Can't teach speed I tell you what

Oh Raiders :allears:

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

bhsman posted:

All of these are an immediate upgrade over Blake. Blake is a lovely name. There, I said it. :colbert:

Yeah this is a pretty clear 'roll with your middle name' scenario we're talking about here

What the gently caress is his middle name anyway my google-fu (and wikipedia) fails me

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah McCarron needs to take whoever's giving him advice and trebuchet their rear end of a cliff

Of course watch it be some relative of his

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

The Cowboys biggest problems (besides coaching/front office/ownership/kill me) are a lack of depth pretty much everywhere and no cap space so what the hell let's just throw away the opportunity to get better for cheap at more than like 2 spots for the next couple of years

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

Seriously. Romo has propped up that team for so long but even if he plays until he's 40 like a lot of QBs do he's going to hit his decline phase sooner rather than later. Besides that they have Dez, Tyron Smith, and what else? Ware is old and breaking down, Lee has missed a ton of time over the last couple seasons, Witten can't have too much longer left. It seems pretty dire unless they start hitting on a lot of draft picks, and quickly.

Don't forget that Romo will be coming off a serious back surgery to repair a herniated disk, which is his 2nd back surgery in two years! :shepicide:

Disillusionist posted:

That was the point I wanted to make. The offense is good enough for the short term, but the defense is in terrible shape. Yet they have one safety who can hold the fort in the near term and a prospect they just drafted in the 3rd last year. With their first two picks they're more likely to find guys who can contribute right away in the front 7.

What they need to do is draft front 7 early. What they're likely to do is draft another loving RB and TE

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

You guys can't be serious in saying that the Boys' shouldn't take a safety, until what, the 3rd-4th round?

They can add depth to the front 7 with either the 1st or 2nd, and picks 3-7. These small school projects at safety are just as much responsible for their horrendous pass defense as a lack of pass rush. There's no reason to not try for a safety within the first two rounds. They don't need depth there - they need immediate help at that position.

There's much better depth in this draft at DL and OLB than at S. To grab a safety early they would probably have to reach for a guy when they can in all likelihood get much better value with the pick by addressing holes in the front 7, improving pass rush and as a byproduct making the secondary better, et cetera, et cetera.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Here's a preview of how active Dallas is expected to be in free agency

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Romo's not the problem. A declining Ware and perpetually injured Austin are the biggest issues.

Cutting Austin is a no-brainer. They should also make Ware a June 1st cut as well considering his production the last 2 years vs. his cap hit, which would give them enough cap space to at least sign their draft picks, but knowing Jerry he will probably do something stupid like extend him instead.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is Miles Austin a worthwhile FA to pursue or is the man just done?

He has ongoing persistent hamstring injuries. While Austin's hamstring issues at this point are basically a running joke with Cowboys fans, the sad truth of the matter is that once you have a hamstring injury and that damage is done, even after recovery it increases your likelihood for reoccurance. Austin would be a prime example of this.

He would probably be worth a vet minimum contract, but not much more than that.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Toymachine posted:

You mean 11.5 sacks in 2012 and 6 sacks in 2013 due to playing on the world's shittiest defense with a ton of nagging injuries?

Yes, I know, when considering a player's production on defense nothing should be considered other than SACKS, but that said

- He counts 16 (SIXTEEN) million against the cap this year and the Cowboys are currently 25.9 mil over the cap
- he's 32 years old and on the decline
- He's been constantly injured the last 2 seasons
- He was 12th on the team in tackles this season. Keeping in mind that only 11 guys can be on the field at any given time.
- He posted a career low 6 sacks this past season, if that's what you care so much about.

Ware is still a good player, and he would be a good pickup for another team in free agency if signed to a reasonable, incentive-laden contract. He is not, however, a 16 million-per-year player anymore, and since he's on the decline it's not a great idea to restructure and extend him like Jerry will probably do.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

And again, you're talking about reducing snaps for a guy whose cap hit is 16 mil in 2014, 17.5 mil in 2015, 14 mil in 2016, and 14 mil in 2017 (unless you restructure and extend him, but he's 32 years old and on the decline, so that's not a great idea). It's just a lovely situation for everyone involved.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah but Dallas and Houston hate each other pretty much, so that's what's wrong with it.

No, it's more like Houston hates Dallas (lots of Cowboys fans down there I guess) but up here in DFW we're like "lol yeah whatever, ok Houston", which probably pisses them off even more. I have no interest in cheering for the Texans since they get kinda annoying with all the Dallas rage, but I'm not entirely surprised that another fan up here would do so.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

PrinceRandom posted:

Just about the only reason I can't quite like the Cowboys is because of Jerry Jones. And an obnoxious brother but mostly Jerry Jones.

Ironically Cowboys fans have the same problem

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Fussy Dutchman posted:

So who's gonna draft Louis Nix? He's easily my favorite ND player of Kelly's time. It's nuts how quick he is for being like 330.

If Dallas was still running a 3-4 I'd be on board with Nix but alas

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

AfterFather posted:

I would take who ever I could get at DT if I were Dallas.

All this Ealy talk is a coincidence (CALM DOWN GOONS) but as you can see from my post in the mock draft thread I'd be pretty happy with Ealy in the 1st and Hageman in the 2nd, although Hageman falling all the way to Dallas in the 2nd is far from guaranteed.

E: Had to split for breakfast. If Dallas were to go DT in the 1st they should probably go with Donald or Jernigan, depending on how the combine shakes out. Nix is a stud but he's a prototypical NT and a bad fit for Dallas.

Rasczak fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 14, 2014

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Alouicious posted:

college football is the best sport in america and if you can't root for the North Texas Mean Green or the Bowling Green Falcons or whoever the gently caress you want you can get out of my country

No you don't understand college football sucks because my team is the North Texas Mean Green

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

What a great draft if you need front seven help. This draft is loving stacked in those areas.

Which is great news because that's exactly what Dallas needs! (also the reason I drink myself into a coma when Jerry spends another high pick on a loving tight end)

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

So is Dallas going LB, DT or DE at 17?

I'd prefer DL there, but yeah they need help all over the front 7 and I wouldn't be upset if Mack or Barr fell into their laps

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

If Manziel fell to Dallas and they took him it would amuse me so yeah sure what the hell

It's not like I'm expecting anything unreasonable from the draft like "win more games"

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

JFF really needs to freefall in the 1st because I need to know what it looks like when that chip on his shoulder turns from a Frito into a Dorito

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I know I should be happy about that but really it's more like "whatever"

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's the difference between a Long Snapper and a 3rd round safety!

Dallas already has a long snapper who is like the Dan Bailey of long snappers, he got re-upped last year on something like a 5 year contract, and I would be legit mad if he got cut

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah but now that he's been brought back down to turf he doesn't look nearly as good. And apparently the field condition in FedEx is not very much improved since so good luck with his long term health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I wonder if his knees make horrifying noises when he tries to dance like that now

• Locked thread