Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cojawfee posted:

There are already cities around the world where they have days that it's unsafe to go outside.

That's more due to things like smog and haze rather than just carbon dioxide though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Zogo posted:

I've seen many documentaries, TV shows, articles mention the dangers of the average atmospheric carbon dioxide increasing yearly in PPM but I've never heard it mentioned just how high it can get (exact PPM readings) before people go outside and start choking to death or at least get severe asphyxia. I believe there are some that won't feel any urgency or worry about it until it gets around that point.

I know OSHA and some other places have safety standards but I don't how that relates to enclosed places vs. the general outside atmosphere. Anyone know?

Currently C02 is about 400 parts per million in the atmosphere. Deadly levels are about 90,000 PPM; levels causing "some to become drowsy" are about 10,000 PPM.

So, basically, C02 would be well beyond even a climatologist's worst nightmare before we'd feel the effects physiologically from breathing it. We'd literally bake before we'd choke.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

eth0.n posted:

So, basically, C02 would be well beyond even a climatologist's worst nightmare before we'd feel the effects physiologically from breathing it. We'd literally bake before we'd choke.

I'm pretty sure "global firestorm" doesn't even get to that level

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

eth0.n posted:

Currently C02 is about 400 parts per million in the atmosphere. Deadly levels are about 90,000 PPM; levels causing "some to become drowsy" are about 10,000 PPM.

Thanks, I guess we're not really close to that number. I wonder if there's some kind of threshold where CO2 would get so high to cause some kind of cascading effect where the planet would be irrevocably damaged. Maybe we don't know that exact number.

If it came down to a heat issue I can see people walking around outside in space suits to withstand the heat.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zogo posted:

Thanks, I guess we're not really close to that number. I wonder if there's some kind of threshold where CO2 would get so high to cause some kind of cascading effect where the planet would be irrevocably damaged. Maybe we don't know that exact number.

If it came down to a heat issue I can see people walking around outside in space suits to withstand the heat.

We don't know the exact number but we do know that we're very close to it, maybe even past it. We're getting to the point where unless we find a cheap effective method of pulling CO2 out of the atmosphere and storing it, we may be past the point of no return.

Like NDGT said in the last episode, the melting ice is releasing huge amounts of stored CO2 and methane, which is creating a very dangerous feedback loop that we probably will not be able to stop if we don't do something very serious within the decade.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Just saw the last episode. Much as I love NDT and respect his right to tie a bow on his own series, it should have ended with Sagan's pale blue dot speech. That is such a profound and moving bit of prose that I would have liked to just be left there with that image and some silence for a couple of minutes.

Also, a lot of people probably know this, but it's awesome so I'll repeat it anyway. On the Voyager Record, there's a bit that Neil deGrasse Tyson described on Cosmos as "the EEG of a young woman in love". That young woman was Ann Druyan, and the person she had fallen in love with was Carl Sagan. They had fallen in love over the course of preparing the Voyager record, and it had just come out over a phone call two days before she got her EEG. It's beautiful to think that some day, some alien civilization might find Voyager, and the most intimate insight they will have into the human mind is Ann's first rush of love for Carl. That's got to be one of the most poetic things humanity has ever done, and Voyager is likely the best love letter that ever has, or will be, written.

More about it here:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/28apr_voyager2/

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Trig Discipline posted:

Just saw the last episode. Much as I love NDT and respect his right to tie a bow on his own series, it should have ended with Sagan's pale blue dot speech. That is such a profound and moving bit of prose that I would have liked to just be left there with that image and some silence for a couple of minutes.

While I love the pale blue dot speech, this is NDT's version of the series. We already have the pale blue dot from the original. I haven't seen the newest episode but with Sagan's focus on "let's not blow each other up", vs NDT's "let's not kill the planet", I'd like to hope that Tyson gets his chance to make a similar well thought out closing statement that would better encapsulate his argument than the pale blue dot would. The pale blue dot speech strongly stresses that we are all one, and that we should treat each other as brother and sister because we are all a part of the same small note of dust suspended in a sunbeam. I hope Tyson's is similar, but showing that not only are we one as one species, but that we are tied to our planet and are one with it as well.
Why replay something that we already have, when we could have a (most likely not as amazing but still) poignant closer to the second version.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

A good analogy might be how Reading Rainbow isn't about teaching kids to read, it's about getting kids excited about reading.

This how I see Cosmos as well. It doesn't cover the details that deeply, but it does get people excited about science.

Overall I was really happy with the quality of Cosmos(2014). Carl Sagan's enthusiasm was probably my favorite part of the original series, and NDT really did a great job as well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

While I love the pale blue dot speech, this is NDT's version of the series. We already have the pale blue dot from the original. I haven't seen the newest episode but with Sagan's focus on "let's not blow each other up", vs NDT's "let's not kill the planet", I'd like to hope that Tyson gets his chance to make a similar well thought out closing statement that would better encapsulate his argument than the pale blue dot would. The pale blue dot speech strongly stresses that we are all one, and that we should treat each other as brother and sister because we are all a part of the same small note of dust suspended in a sunbeam. I hope Tyson's is similar, but showing that not only are we one as one species, but that we are tied to our planet and are one with it as well.
Why replay something that we already have, when we could have a (most likely not as amazing but still) poignant closer to the second version.

That's why I said I respect NDT's right to close out his own series. I realize you said you haven't seen it yet, but NDT DID replay the pale blue dot speech, and then does about five or ten minutes of his own closing thoughts after that. The problem is that NDT's ending seemed pretty frickin' weak in comparison. Like, from a creative perspective, it seems like you'd want to end on your strongest note. NDT's ending was all right, but just didn't have anywhere near the impact of Sagan's speech. That is like getting The Beatles to open for your band or something; even if you're really, really good, you're just inviting a comparison against a standard that is drat near impossible to live up to.

If the goal was to end on a strong note, NDT should have either put the pale blue dot speech at the end or left it out entirely. As it is, it feels like the episode really peaks about five minutes before it ends, and then just sort of meanders off to a weaker ending after that. Maybe you'll disagree, but you should probably see it first before you decide that I'm wrong.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I just saw the last episode before any of you guys too, and I thought the placement of the pale blue dot speech was very strategic and helped the pacing of the episode. The rest of the episode felt like an epilogue. Overall, I'd say it's a perfect capper to the series, and will probably go down in history as one of the best finales of all time. Please don't let this color your opinion of the show, but I think you should know that it's great, but you should really see it before you form an opinion, but it's great it's the best.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 8, 2014

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah don't get me wrong; on balance the whole thing was very good. I'm just talking about an aesthetic choice in the last episode that I didn't think was very well thought-out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Thanks for the spoilers I guess.

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Thanks for the spoilers I guess.

I was going to try to enjoy the last episode, but now that I know it sucks, I'll just watch Guy's Grocery Games instead. Thanks, goons!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Spoiler: Turns out dark energy is God's love.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I thought the Library was destroyed when the Romans first took over Egypt :confused:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dark matter fucks with my mind so bad

e: dark energy too

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 9, 2014

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Zwicky and that bolo tie are adorable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

achillesforever6 posted:

I thought the Library was destroyed when the Romans first took over Egypt :confused:

Egypt was part of Rome, though not officially a part of, for a while before it had a big fire during the Caesarian civil war. Which is the fire most often attributed as The Fire.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 9, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Dark matter fucks with my mind so bad

e: dark energy too
Then there is dark eco which can ruin your day.

So when is Neil going to talk about the death of the universe?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

achillesforever6 posted:

"dark eco" only brings up stuff from Jack & Daxter, which I assume is not what you're on about, so what do you mean?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I googled dark eco and it just brought up a bunch of pages about Jak & Daxter.

I took a couple of classes on space flight and astronomy as part of my Aerospace Engineering bachelors and as soon as we got to relativity and dark matter/energy, I decided gently caress space.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

pik_d posted:

"dark eco" only brings up stuff from Jack & Daxter, which I assume is not what you're on about, so what do you mean?

The slow decay of the universe as all its parts expand away from each other forever.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

pik_d posted:

Yes I was trying to make a Jak and Daxter joke

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

There's a Star Trek: The Motion Picture joke to be made here

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Why does it have to be over?! :qq:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Why does it have to be over?! :qq:
I want there to be a second season of it, just because I want to hear more stories about scientists I never really knew about.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The finale left me with a feeling of "meh" which sucks :( I wish there were more episodes. Guess I'll have to read another NDT book instead.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

achillesforever6 posted:

I want there to be a second season of it, just because I want to hear more stories about scientists I never really knew about.

I'd love that! I loved learning about all of the various scientists and how they came about their findings. It was beautiful and an amazing way to show the tenacity of the human race.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw goddamnit, that's it? That was the series finale? I want more :smith: The ending was beautiful, though.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The real Zwicky, for comparison:

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
The Pale Blue Dot monologue, I feel, is one of the most beautiful and genuine utterances ever breathed by a human mouth.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Happy Cosmos, everybody :cheers: and a very merry Blue Dot

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Man, after hearing so much about the "Pale Blue Dot" thing, it was actually kind of underwhelming hearing it.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

So no chance on season 2? I really enjoyed the mind blowing information I got from season 1. Oh well.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

PureRok posted:

Man, after hearing so much about the "Pale Blue Dot" thing, it was actually kind of underwhelming hearing it.

How does it feel to hate beautiful things

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jack Skeleton posted:

So no chance on season 2? I really enjoyed the mind blowing information I got from season 1. Oh well.

NDT said he had no interested in doing a second season, but that it didn't preclude someone else from stepping in (Where are you, Bill Nye??)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Underwhelming end to a great series, but Pale Blue Dot will always be beautiful. Now to buy the Blu-ray and watch it all over again!

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Loved the shots of empty chairs in this last one, signaling that the job is open for the next rock star scientist to step up.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That was a good episode, sad that it has to be the last.

But hey, guess what, a science based/historical show aired on major TV networks around the world in 2014 in prime-time slots on over 120 channels each week in a dozen languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

PureRok posted:

It probably took me years to realize the significance of Pale Blue Dot after first hearing it, since it was the thing that finally hammered home just how tiny humanity is compared to the rest of the universe. However, it is easy to understand how anything can be a let down after listening to immense hype surrounding it, even something as profound as this.

• Locked thread