Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lynx Winters posted:

Let me go ahead and clear up this misconception. You all have been going on about this one card for like a week now, getting into the history of the reference that the original item made and making it this big huge deal. The actual decision went like this:

You haven't given us any other bones to gnaw on, so this bone will be gnawed incessantly until you DO give us something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AccidentalHipster posted:

I can't believe I didn't think of this.

Seems obvious in hindsight, but it's pretty much right there with Payday since the snack aspect is de-emphasized.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I just like talking about candy. :saddowns:

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Cyphoderus posted:

I think it says a lot about the translators' predicament when this one element of the game prompts so much discussion. Imagine that they have an entire game to translate like that, poor souls.

In hindsight, I really should have pointed this out earlier, but this one example is not in any way typical. I've never seen, heard, nor smelled of cultural references being so deliberately nested anywhere before, so if there are two instances as hard to localize just in this one game, I'll be very surprised. Not to say it'll be a cakewalk, exactly, but probably not as Sisyphean a job as it seems to be seeming at the moment.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

NinjaDebugger posted:

You haven't given us any other bones to gnaw on, so this bone will be gnawed incessantly until you DO give us something else.

You can ask mechanical questions, if you like. I'm going to be preparing the playtest materials for all the pertinent mechanical sections that need proofreading and testing this week, so hopefully between administrative business tasks and cleaning up the raws there will be some additional things to talk about. I hope I can get all this stuff ready to go by Sunday US time after our biweekly meeting, so here's hoping!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
What's the relationship between the amount of space you've cleared and the number of humans in your settlement? Is one derived from the other, if you have too many humans do they begin to starve, is it all just sort of glossed over?

Ignore me, I just found the answer in F&F, gonna go read that for a while.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 11, 2013

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Mystic Mongol posted:

What's the relationship between the amount of space you've cleared and the number of humans in your settlement? Is one derived from the other, if you have too many humans do they begin to starve, is it all just sort of glossed over?

There is a limit to how many citizens your kingdom can have based on how many maps your kingdom owns. After clearing a dungeon you have the option to buy the map and add it to your kingdom's territory, but it's pretty expensive so it's not something to worry about at first. That said, your Kingdom Level is determined by the number of citizens you have, and your Character Level usually cannot exceed your Kingdom Level so it's something that you'll have to address eventually.

There's no mechanics for starving or anything, you just can't exceed your max citizen count until you expand your kingdom. There are also individual Facilities you can add to your Kingdom Maps that can affect the maximum number of citizens. Having enough of a certain Facility could even unlock a new Job, but that's a discussion for another time.

Also of note, not all of your citizens are strictly humans...

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
I admit, I would be happy if this became the good TG food thread.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MartianAgitator posted:

I admit, I would be happy if this became the good TG food thread.

So no steak talk then?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

So what, precisely, do you do with all those materials you pick up in the dungeons?

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Lynx Winters posted:

And move on we did, because we had to make the rest of the demo pack for SPIEL and only had about 12 hours left or something. In a recent conference call we were discussing just how accurate we wanted to be with the localization and on spectrum that goes from Google Translate to 4Kids, it seems like we're aiming for somewhere short of Disgaea; close enough where we can but we'll sacrifice a TINY bit of accuracy for entertainment

Disgaea is a great standard to hold up. I hope your localization is as good!

Though a 4Kids version would be hilarious due to the incredible wave of tears it would generate across the internet.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Ratoslov posted:

So what, precisely, do you do with all those materials you pick up in the dungeons?

Materials have a few uses. The main one is that they can be used to craft items outside of the dungeon phase. Most items have a material cost, and if you have the correct number of the types of materials an item requires then you can spend the mats to create the item, no questions asked. This useful because it allows you to get items that might be too expensive for your kingdom to afford at the moment, or if you have a buttload of materials you can actually craft a number of Rare Items instead of hoping to find one in the dungeons.

A facility called the Blacksmith can also use materials to raise an Item's Level if it has one. For example, most weapons do an extra point of damage per Item Level, and items that recover HP get a bonus per level. There are other ways to raise Item Levels, such as special Skills or even random events.

One common type of material is Meat. An item called the Pan can be used to craft Lunches out of Meat you've collected, even while you're in the dungeon. An item that the Cook job starts with, the Apron, can be used to change any one type of material dropped by a monster into Meat, and also offers a chance of a special bonus for any Lunches made with that transformed Meat.

Finally, at the end of an adventure, materials can be sold to boost your kingdom's Treasury. This can be a big help if you have too much stuff, since materials do take up your character's Item Slots. Maybe you should use that money to build some kind of storage Facility?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

aldantefax posted:

You can ask mechanical questions, if you like. I'm going to be preparing the playtest materials for all the pertinent mechanical sections that need proofreading and testing this week, so hopefully between administrative business tasks and cleaning up the raws there will be some additional things to talk about. I hope I can get all this stuff ready to go by Sunday US time after our biweekly meeting, so here's hoping!

I'd love to do some playtesting with my group. I already talked about the game when it got started in F&F and everyone was really excited about it.

Also, are you still in SF? It'd be awesome to help you out with in-house playtesting too (I live there too).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Spincut posted:

I'd love to do some playtesting with my group. I already talked about the game when it got started in F&F and everyone was really excited about it.

Also, are you still in SF? It'd be awesome to help you out with in-house playtesting too (I live there too).

Yes! I am still based in the SF Bay Area. If you (or anybody else) would like to do a playtest some weekend, I recently had an idea storm of adventure ideas shamelessly ripped off of video games and other esoteric RPG things, but we'll need to plan that ahead. I know Humbug Scoolbus and Potsticker would want to play; Ewen Cluney might, also, since he's in the area.

I'm intending to have a Playtest Roadmap up this weekend after the team meeting so that all playtesters will understand the various phases of what needs to be done. It's written down in my Secret Meikyuu Book, but I need to write it up and flesh it out for all you beautiful excited people.

Please resume talking about candy! As a side note, I discovered that some of the nudity in the books have two versions - in one example, they just shave the nipple off and put in a darker pan tone, so I guess I don't have to worry about any weird censorship things - depending on the masters I get from the source, they'll have done the work for me!

I need to go back and reread the F&F collected posts for the game so I don't retread ground that they haven't done yet.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Lynx Winters posted:

One common type of material is Meat. An item called the Pan can be used to craft Lunches out of Meat you've collected, even while you're in the dungeon. An item that the Cook job starts with, the Apron, can be used to change any one type of material dropped by a monster into Meat, and also offers a chance of a special bonus for any Lunches made with that transformed Meat.

Badass. Anyone up for some beholder chow mein?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

aldantefax posted:

Yes! I am still based in the SF Bay Area. If you (or anybody else) would like to do a playtest some weekend, I recently had an idea storm of adventure ideas shamelessly ripped off of video games and other esoteric RPG things, but we'll need to plan that ahead. I know Humbug Scoolbus and Potsticker would want to play; Ewen Cluney might, also, since he's in the area.

Sweet! Shoot me a PM when things get more together (or I can shoot you one) and I'd love to help out!

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Sorry! I clearly wasn't paying attention.

Gasperkun fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 13, 2013

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Gasperkun posted:

demon the descent kickstarter

Not sure if that was meant to be in this thread or somewhere else, but okay! Thanks!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ratoslov posted:

Badass. Anyone up for some beholder chow mein?

I can't decide which is more amusing, the Cook somehow literally transforming items into meat, or that (s)he's just so drat happy and eager to serve up some Charbroiled Charybdis that any other potentially useful materials (claws, hides, bones, etc) are ruined in the processes of preparing it for cooking.

"Yay! We killed the cockatrice! Now we can use it to make som-"
"Out of the way! I have an idea for the most delicious dish!" :chef:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 13, 2013

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't decide which is more amusing, the Cook somehow literally transforming items into meat, or that (s)he's just so drat happy and eager to serve up some Charbroiled Charybdis that any other potentially useful materials (claws, hides, bones, etc) are ruined in the processes of preparing it for cooking.

Eating regularly is actually rather a Big Deal in Meikyuu. For one thing, food Items are the Court's primary method of restoring HP outside of combat. For the other, the time you spend in the dungeon is measured: every time you stop to rest, you mark off one Quarter, and four Quarters make a Turn (approximately, one day). If it's been more than one Turn since the last time a food Item was used, the whole Court starts draining HP with every passing Quarter due to hunger pains. So, those servings of Charbroiled Charybdis may actually turn out to be of far more immediate value than any talons or whatnot, and having someone along who can whip them up on demand is almost as good as an extra sword arm. :eng101:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
You say that, but I look at the Drone class, who gets mechanical benefits for skipping combat rounds completely to take naps, and I say---yes, this is what I want my contribution in combat to be.

"Wizard! We need you to kill these orcs with your mighty spells!"

".....next turn......zzzzzzzz"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are all the monsters made out of meat though? Because if not, that can lead to some... interesting conversations.

"Hey guys! Stew's ready!"
"Great! Wait, where did you get the meat for the stew?"
"Oh, from the last monster we killed"
"But... that was a stone golem..."

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Haven't you heard of stone soup? It's good for your entire village!

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

You say that, but I look at the Drone class, who gets mechanical benefits for skipping combat rounds completely to take naps, and I say---yes, this is what I want my contribution in combat to be.

"Wizard! We need you to kill these orcs with your mighty spells!"

".....next turn......zzzzzzzz"

Ha-HA! But Wizard is a Job, same as Drone, so you can't be both at once! Checkmate! :smuggo:
unless you're a Servant

Randalor posted:

Are all the monsters made out of meat though?

Meat...ish, yeah. Let's just say foodies tend not to last too long in the Million Dungeons.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I have a few friends who are super interested in this, since I brought it up with them, so I'd like to be added to the playtesters pile, please.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

I'd be happy to help with playtesting (or spell checking, once it gets to that stage), should you need another group.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?
Hey, uh, this thread still happening? Because I wanna hear more news about this game. Like, are there any big changes that you've needed to do with some of the items or mechanics?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

AccidentalHipster posted:

Hey, uh, this thread still happening? Because I wanna hear more news about this game. Like, are there any big changes that you've needed to do with some of the items or mechanics?

Most of the US team is currently head down into the holiday week. In terms of updates we're currently in the process of setting up another meeting with our translator as the liaison between us and APS. We're pitching some ideas about the development and waiting for some feedback for a couple of key points. Namely:

- is there new material they want us to do for the English release
- are there any changes they want to make for the English release
- what changes do they not want *us* to make for the English release

In terms of mechanics the system is pretty airtight from what I've seen so far. It hasn't gotten a lot of exposure so I can't say for sure if it starts falling apart at higher level or anything like that, but that will be part of the things to address in later playtesting rounds. I don't think it's lacking for content in any significant way, but it would be nice to introduce new items down the line. We have our hands full enough right now that we don't want to throw more ingredients into the mix, though!

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Any updates as we turn the Holiday Bend and into 2014?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Sorry, but not yet. We are once again at a stalling point and can't make any major headway on the project until some things happen, but we sort of expected this to happen around this time of the year anyway. We are still doing some stuff in the meantime but it's mostly to make our workflow easier when we do get what we need. Trust me, no matter how hard you guys are aching for some news, we are aching ten times harder.

That being said, in the interest of keeping the thread alive and keeping the game on everyone's radar, what sort of things would people like more information about? I'm always glad to talk about the game and I'm sure people got questions, so fire away.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The preview in F&F made it sound like there were a shitton of numbers to keep track of. How intuitive is it in actual play? Or do you have to make sure to keep a sheet of scratch paper around?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Oh, it is absolutely less numbers to keep track of than a lot of games.

• Four basic attributes and four derived attributes.
  • Skills function like D&Ds feats and powers, rather than an exhaustive list of things like Use Rope and Accounting. Since the Skills are all displayed in the book like cards you don't even need to write the skill effects down, just photocopy the cards and have it in front of you for reference*.
  • Items actually work the same way as Skills*, and you can only carry up to six in normal circumstances. There's no encumbrance to worry about, and the few obviously heavy items will have something like "this Item takes up two of your Item Slots" in the text.
  • Materials so you know how much ogrekin meat you'll be eating for the next month.
  • Relationship scores to tell you how in love you are with your former rival at any given moment.

The back of the character sheet is all just basic rules references, explanations of things like status effects and special relationships, and other stuff designed to keep digging through the books for rules to a minimum.

The Kingdom sheet is layed out very similarly to the Character sheet, but replace Skills and Items with a map grid to fill in during play and a section to list your kingdom's noteworthy inhabitants (i.e. The Court, Talents, and Monster Citizens). The back of the Kingdom sheet is another Relationship tracker and a basic overview of the Kingdom Phase rules.

The map sheets are even simpler since they are mostly just a 3x3 grid of boxes with some lines connecting them. Tracking time in the dungeon is important but also very simple since the map sheets have a time tracker section that just requires ticking a box at the end of a Quarter. The battlefield sheet is just six horizontal boxes to show relative distance in combat and you are most likely only going to have one for the whole group.

While making sure the Kingdom and Map sheets are up-to-date is some extra paperwork, it's a pretty simple thing to spread throughout the group. If the Vizier is hanging onto the Kingdom sheet before and after adventures, it's perfectly in-character to make the Servant keep track of it in the dungeons so they can focus on ~Dungeon Logistics~ and the like. Similarly, since the Ninja is most likely to be the Court's scout it's probably a good idea for them to update the dungeon's map sheet with monsters and traps they find, but there's no reason the Oracle can't help make sure everything's right. The battlefield sheet is mostly something for the GM to worry about, but the Knight will probably want to make sure everyone's positioned correctly before a fight.

Ultimately, I'd say that Meikyuu Kingdom has a little bit more to keep track of than something like Dungeon World, but far less than most other dungeon-crawl games. Everything is pretty easy to remember, conflict resolution is pretty simple, and cards* make record-keeping much faster. I've seen people who have never played a tabletop RPG get a good grasp on how everything works in about 30-45 minutes, so I expect it to be even easier for seasoned elfgamers.

*Yes, we are absolutely looking at pre-printed decks of cards for Skills, Items, and Monsters.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I've been using the unoffical rules that got released by that guy you mentioned in the OP and they've generally been pretty consistent in terminology and tone. I am trying to gear up to run a game of it with some folks over skype but our king has been not around much and we've only got 3 people, so it might be rocky. Maybe I'll just plant an oracle/summoner in the base to use as a talent to help them along.

If you get to the point where you've got something with all the fluff and everything else I'd love to playtest that with this group I've got going here. If there's someone interested in joining us then check my profile for skype, hopefully you gel with The Crew.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I hate to double post, but it's been about a month since the last one and I was hoping someone could help me with a rule I feel like is unclear in the anon PDF:

Do advanced jobs only give +2 to ability score total, or does each stat indicated by the advance job get +2? I would assume it's the former, but the rules aren't exactly clear and I'd hate to end up shortchanging a player (which has already happened a couple times on accident before more careful reading of the engrish/muddy phrasing turned up the actual rulings).

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Advanced Jobs either give +1 to two different stats, or +2 to one stat. Think of it this way, you're getting two of the stat bonuses a normal Job provides, but some of the advanced ones just stack the two bonuses on the same stat.

Hero will get +1 to Charisma and Warfare.
Gladiator will get +2 to Warfare.

Thank you for pointing that out, though! I've been looking at the anon version when I'm not getting bodied by school to figure out what parts could benefit from clearer writing and had not got to the Dungeon Book yet so I'll make sure to try and clear that up.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

There's loads of stuff that could actively be clearer that I've discovered. These rules ARE stated in plain language, but they're segregated from where they would actually be relevant because ???

The 2 that jump out immediately are at character gen (page 15 of the anon pdf) the pdf defines your stats then jumps to your base ability scores by class. There's an unmarked paragraph between those that actually outlines the fact that you get a point from job and a bonus point, that information could use a little more "hey actually read and process all this" because as it is the eye sort of naturally skims that, barely notices it and just goes to the relevant stat blocks right beneath it. There should be a little "in summary" sort of equation at the end of the stat explanation I think that just says "class stat allocation +1 from job skill +1 bonus point" or something. I feel like a number of the rules are explained alright on the whole, but could benefit from that kind of image based distillation in the final product.

The other one was the treasure allocation. There's just a short line buried in another seemingly innocuous paragraph that outlines monster loot and how you use the rolling table for number of monsters in a line (vanguard backguard ect) instead of rolling per monster or anything stupid like that, so for our first few sessions I was giving way too much treasure by accident :( I'm sure there are loads of other things, we've had a number of issues with regards to clarity in the rules but I'm just remembering the biggest and most recent ones.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Paper Lion posted:

There's loads of stuff that could actively be clearer that I've discovered. These rules ARE stated in plain language, but they're segregated from where they would actually be relevant because ???

The 2 that jump out immediately are at character gen (page 15 of the anon pdf) the pdf defines your stats then jumps to your base ability scores by class. There's an unmarked paragraph between those that actually outlines the fact that you get a point from job and a bonus point, that information could use a little more "hey actually read and process all this" because as it is the eye sort of naturally skims that, barely notices it and just goes to the relevant stat blocks right beneath it. There should be a little "in summary" sort of equation at the end of the stat explanation I think that just says "class stat allocation +1 from job skill +1 bonus point" or something. I feel like a number of the rules are explained alright on the whole, but could benefit from that kind of image based distillation in the final product.

Having some more redundancy and convenience like that is something I would like to include. The classes that we wrote for the SPIEL demo are one page each like the original book, but that took a bunch of editing to get everything in without artwork. We also haven't heard back yet on just how faithful to the layout of the original books we need to be, so right now we're trying to be as close to the original as we can until we find out how much wiggle room we've got.

quote:

The other one was the treasure allocation. There's just a short line buried in another seemingly innocuous paragraph that outlines monster loot and how you use the rolling table for number of monsters in a line (vanguard backguard ect) instead of rolling per monster or anything stupid like that, so for our first few sessions I was giving way too much treasure by accident :( I'm sure there are loads of other things, we've had a number of issues with regards to clarity in the rules but I'm just remembering the biggest and most recent ones.

Where did you see that? It's actually not based on monster's battlefield position. The GM can (and probably should) combine the levels of identical monsters in a fight to determine which treasure chart to roll on for that group. If you have one sick-rear end boss monster and two types of weaker scrubs to back it up, you should roll three treasure tables if the PCs win: one for the boss's individual level, one for the combined levels of Scrub Type A, and one for the combined levels of Scrub Type B. If I missed some line somewhere that has you rolling stuff based on battlefield areas, please let me know because that'll have to be addressed really quick.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Oh hey, this thread's back.

Is there anything approaching a release date in sight so far?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Desty posted:

Oh hey, this thread's back.

Is there anything approaching a release date in sight so far?

Nope (much as I would like to announce). We're still working on that, and a bunch of other stuff. We'll certainly announce something if there's something to actually announce!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Lynx Winters posted:

Having some more redundancy and convenience like that is something I would like to include. The classes that we wrote for the SPIEL demo are one page each like the original book, but that took a bunch of editing to get everything in without artwork. We also haven't heard back yet on just how faithful to the layout of the original books we need to be, so right now we're trying to be as close to the original as we can until we find out how much wiggle room we've got.

Where did you see that? It's actually not based on monster's battlefield position. The GM can (and probably should) combine the levels of identical monsters in a fight to determine which treasure chart to roll on for that group. If you have one sick-rear end boss monster and two types of weaker scrubs to back it up, you should roll three treasure tables if the PCs win: one for the boss's individual level, one for the combined levels of Scrub Type A, and one for the combined levels of Scrub Type B. If I missed some line somewhere that has you rolling stuff based on battlefield areas, please let me know because that'll have to be addressed really quick.

When you use the random encounter table it gives you how many monsters and in what area (example, #courtmakers worth of hurry foxes in enemy vanguard, flat 1 sawing boar) so I've just been applying the treasure table row by row, meaning I would add the total levels of all the hurry foxes in the front row for 1 roll and then just use the boar for the second. If there had been an enemy vanguard and enemy backguard that were both full of hurry foxes then I'd add them seperately, ensuring the group gets 3 treasure rolls, and thus diving treasure up into enemy field placement.

Is that not how it's supposed to work? :psyduck:

• Locked thread