Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
If you are looking for anyone else to play test this I would be very interested! I would be running a live game for people without much RPG experience to offer a different perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Lynx Winters posted:

Fortune Cookie was on the table, as were Chocolate Coins and one or two other options. And hey, if we find out that we could get legal attention from Big Candy we might end up changing it back to one of those! Nothing is set in stone yet and I hope you all realize this is still really early in the localization process. There's big big chunks of setting info that hasn't had a chance to be translated yet and everything we change now is constantly under review to make sure it matches up with everything else as closely as possible.

Payday is actually inspired as a way to keep the food aspect.

That's kind of a big thing about localization. You have to pick somewhere as a reference point for the 'local' part or you end up with a kind of bland translation in an attempt to only use the most generic terms. Or you go the ultra literal way like you guys mentioned!

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

OtspIII posted:

I think one nice thing about fantasy is that people are going to be a bit more forgiving when it comes to suggestive but not straightforward names. I'd say that even a fairly literal translation followed by a more intuitive one in parentheses might work--something like "Snack of Sunlight Yellow (Bribe)" might keep both the flavor and the clarity. You miss the cultural references, but those seem almost impossible to fully translate, especially when one translation might be used for many countries (as this Payday/Australia conversation is showing).

This isn't a super nuanced work of literature in which the original meaning and intention must be preserved for the purpose of fully appreciating the text. The fact that this particular ability might have a really nuanced meaning in the original Japanese doesn't matter when I turn to the page to find out what it does. When I use this ability in game I would much rather refer to it as Payday then "Snack of Sunlight Yellow", you know, Bribe?

A separate book of Translator's Notes would be the perfect place to put that kind of stuff. Even if it was just a soft cover version of the full book with little sidebars overlayed over the original formatting.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Not if you called it Cache of Golden Cakes

Too bad the pun only appears when you read it aloud.

See like, I have no idea how this is a pun but even if I don't know what a Payday bar is I understand what the game mechanic is for just from the name. Then when I crack open my handy dandy book of TN's I can go oh that's clever.

• Locked thread