Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I would be interested in the playtest (although I believe time zones will probably hinder me). I don't know how to contact you though (I didn't buy the PM feature on this board so I don't have access to it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Amongst communities with people who heavily consume Japanese pop culture media, botched localization jobs is kind of a PSTD-style trigger so I'm really not surprised at the response. Without any context, going "Man, I gotta change things that won't fly in other countries" basically just triggers memories of stuff like Persona 1, Cardcaptors, Yu-Gi-Oh or Vision of Escaflowne, which are some examples of some of the most ill-conceived attempts to appeal to a different audience. And really, just about every online community have triggers like this so I don't see the point of "man, 4chan people are all bad."

That being said, and I assume you've probably already done some research or at least are planning on it, it might be helpful to decide exactly how wide a target audience you're going to try to market to. Consider something like Persona 1 and Persona 3.

Persona 1 had a localization job that basically tries its best to pretend that the game was somehow set in America, despite the fact that they weren't able to change graphics so America apparently now has Shinto shrines, up to the point where it literally turned one of the characters African-American. To this day, this is still one of the most mocked changes in the entire history of localization efforts.

Persona 3, on the other hand, actually did things like use honorifics in its scripts, which even most Fansubbing groups don't do nowadays unless they were intentionally trying to be "ironic." The exams quizzes in-game have questions that the average Westerner would definitely not be able to answer without the help of Wikipedia or an FAQ, the characters partake in Japanese festivals and cultural events and so on...

And guess what? It was a massive cult hit that raised awareness of the SMT series and Atlus as a company. People wanted the "fantasy" of consuming a uniquely Japanese product and while I find some of the translation decisions made questionable, there's no doubt that Atlus capitalized on those expectations. They knew eactly what kind of people would buy the product and they tailored it directly to them.

Meanwhile, not only did P1 not attract a wider audience as they expected, it put off many people who consider the changes made to be insulting to their intelligence and removed a lot of the game's personality. The end result is a worst case scenario where no parties are satisfied. After all, if they wanted to play a product tailored for Westerners, they might as well play an actual Western-created game, wouldn't they?

(Note: I'm simplifying things a lot, because I know they did make localization changes in P3. For example, the original P3 used completely different honorifics that aren't as ingrained in public knowledge. Also maybe P1 isn't popular because gameplay wise it was crap.)

So bringing this back to Meikyuu, is the appeal of the game simply based off the fact that it's a Kingdom-Building RPG, where the rules are the "key" and the setting is "fluff"? How much of the game's appeal is based off the fact that a lot of the humour/aesthetics are based off Japanese RPGs/culture? Like, a lot of the art and in-jokes reminds me of the old goofy days of things like Dragon Quest, something that a hardcore Tolkien gritty medieval fantasy Warhammer fan would probably not approve of but even if you reskinned everything to appeal to them, would they buy your product anyway?

Anyway have a good discussion amongst whoever you need to, I suppose.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

aldantefax posted:

Localization stuff.
Ouch, it's the translator's nightmare mode: Japanese puns and symbolism.

On the bright side, I don't think I've once ran into anyone complaining about those being localized.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

aldantefax posted:

There's talk about it, of course. Offering a "Localizer's Package" which includes our translation, the original books (so you can point out the flaws, of course) and translation liner notes is a fine idea and I'm sure all of the people who are gettin mad huffy that the game is not being translated on one to one parity in the image of their patron saint Haruhi Suzumiya or what not can enjoy the originals in their native language.
I would go for that if not for the fact that I know shipping would kill me (going by the Ryuutama kickstarter anyway).

So I dunno, I hope there's some kind of tier that's just PDF + notes, or maybe translated version + notes?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Any updates on the project?

Well, outside of that, I'm curious if anyone is familiar with this game's collection of supplementary materials, because I got a couple of question to ask since I'm trying to purchase it via Rakuten.

1) Are there only 2 "big supplement books" for this game - Overkill Paradise and Baroque Campaign? I can only find the former on Rakuten but that's because the English website has an annoying habit of Babelfishing all of the product's name.

2) What's up with these smaller supplements? What do they contain and are they worth buying at all?

3) Is this part of the Meikyuu Kingdom line or is the name just a concidence? I don't even know what it's supposed to be (what the heck's a "Mayokin?")

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Rasamune posted:

Some of those "supplements" are actually replay books, but I think the link in #3 is a set of cardboard minis for the game
Don't think the one I linked to is a replay, but mostly I assume that if it's a replay, the book title generally says it. Thanks for the help on identifying the 3rd though.

Also I finally found Baroque campaign on Rakuten but it's out of stock. I'm kind of wondering if it's out of print for quite some time though. The official site itself hasn't been updated since 2006 or something.

So... no news on the translation side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Covok posted:

Has there been any major or minor updates on the project?
If it makes you feel better, Ewen's recent appearance on a podcast said they were "hard at work" on it.

No other news though.

• Locked thread