Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I've been using the unoffical rules that got released by that guy you mentioned in the OP and they've generally been pretty consistent in terminology and tone. I am trying to gear up to run a game of it with some folks over skype but our king has been not around much and we've only got 3 people, so it might be rocky. Maybe I'll just plant an oracle/summoner in the base to use as a talent to help them along.

If you get to the point where you've got something with all the fluff and everything else I'd love to playtest that with this group I've got going here. If there's someone interested in joining us then check my profile for skype, hopefully you gel with The Crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I hate to double post, but it's been about a month since the last one and I was hoping someone could help me with a rule I feel like is unclear in the anon PDF:

Do advanced jobs only give +2 to ability score total, or does each stat indicated by the advance job get +2? I would assume it's the former, but the rules aren't exactly clear and I'd hate to end up shortchanging a player (which has already happened a couple times on accident before more careful reading of the engrish/muddy phrasing turned up the actual rulings).

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

There's loads of stuff that could actively be clearer that I've discovered. These rules ARE stated in plain language, but they're segregated from where they would actually be relevant because ???

The 2 that jump out immediately are at character gen (page 15 of the anon pdf) the pdf defines your stats then jumps to your base ability scores by class. There's an unmarked paragraph between those that actually outlines the fact that you get a point from job and a bonus point, that information could use a little more "hey actually read and process all this" because as it is the eye sort of naturally skims that, barely notices it and just goes to the relevant stat blocks right beneath it. There should be a little "in summary" sort of equation at the end of the stat explanation I think that just says "class stat allocation +1 from job skill +1 bonus point" or something. I feel like a number of the rules are explained alright on the whole, but could benefit from that kind of image based distillation in the final product.

The other one was the treasure allocation. There's just a short line buried in another seemingly innocuous paragraph that outlines monster loot and how you use the rolling table for number of monsters in a line (vanguard backguard ect) instead of rolling per monster or anything stupid like that, so for our first few sessions I was giving way too much treasure by accident :( I'm sure there are loads of other things, we've had a number of issues with regards to clarity in the rules but I'm just remembering the biggest and most recent ones.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Lynx Winters posted:

Having some more redundancy and convenience like that is something I would like to include. The classes that we wrote for the SPIEL demo are one page each like the original book, but that took a bunch of editing to get everything in without artwork. We also haven't heard back yet on just how faithful to the layout of the original books we need to be, so right now we're trying to be as close to the original as we can until we find out how much wiggle room we've got.

Where did you see that? It's actually not based on monster's battlefield position. The GM can (and probably should) combine the levels of identical monsters in a fight to determine which treasure chart to roll on for that group. If you have one sick-rear end boss monster and two types of weaker scrubs to back it up, you should roll three treasure tables if the PCs win: one for the boss's individual level, one for the combined levels of Scrub Type A, and one for the combined levels of Scrub Type B. If I missed some line somewhere that has you rolling stuff based on battlefield areas, please let me know because that'll have to be addressed really quick.

When you use the random encounter table it gives you how many monsters and in what area (example, #courtmakers worth of hurry foxes in enemy vanguard, flat 1 sawing boar) so I've just been applying the treasure table row by row, meaning I would add the total levels of all the hurry foxes in the front row for 1 roll and then just use the boar for the second. If there had been an enemy vanguard and enemy backguard that were both full of hurry foxes then I'd add them seperately, ensuring the group gets 3 treasure rolls, and thus diving treasure up into enemy field placement.

Is that not how it's supposed to work? :psyduck:

• Locked thread