Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Bitchtits McGee posted:

To summarize: this one card is not only a cultural reference to another cultural reference, it also end-runs around that reference to reference the reference that it was referencing, then goes the extra mile to reference the reference that THAT reference was first made in reference to! :psyboom:

tl;dr - "Payday" works, sure.
As someone cautiously interested in MK thanks to the F&F thread, this blows my mind. I applaud you for taking this effort instead of just googlating the text. But as I am not particularily well-versed in japanese language and culture, I can't help but hope that the translation tends toward being a playable game first and a showcase of japanese culture second. Perhaps the sidebars may be used for highlighting especially subtle cultural context as the above?

Or maybe a seperate booklet could provide all the really finicky and cool - but not all that useful for actual gaming - references; an extended translator's guide to why these things are unchanged while these things are completely changed around or excised. A kickstarter goal perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

FH_Meta posted:

I think, but can't quite be sure between the awe at level of cultural reference and the FFL2/SaGa2 flashbacks, that the whole point of the post was basically why they felt that Payday worked as the translated name.

And why it was their initial idea for what was going to go into the text, as opposed to yamabuki-iro or Chocolate Coins, or Golden Chocolate, or Coin Silver, or Bananas.

Yes, I see that - now. I made the mistaken assumption that the referenced card was the translated one. :dumb:

• Locked thread