Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Randalor posted:

So... wait, people on 4chan are throwing a hissy fit because you want to look into changing some of the art to make it appeal to a wider audience and because you're worried that it may stir up some unnecessary controversy, and openly talking about just pirating the game because of that?

loving hell, I knew there was a reason I avoided 4chan like it was the plague of the internet. And to openly advocate it in a thread where the person translating it is answering questions? loving hell.
There's always going to be the crowd that wants a translation to be as pure and direct as possible, but one of the big lessons we learned from Maid RPG is that actual localization--going beyond simple translation to create something that makes sense within a different culture--is essential. In hindsight there are a lot of things I would've changed or toned down in Maid, but there are also plenty of things some people found objectionable that are too central to the game to really take out per se. OTOH the tiny handful of naked monsters and such in Meikyuu Kingdom are in no way essential to the game. As is Meikyuu Kingdom does have quite a few Japanese (pop) culture references scattered throughout, and fax's team is going to have an interesting time figuring out how to best present those to a Western audience.

In general 4chan is like Reddit or for that matter Something Awful in that it's big enough to encompass such a wide variety of people and communities that it's hard to make generalizations about. With Maid RPG a friend of mine promoted it through /tg/, which got both a lot of interest and a bunch of people who seemed to be angry that a game other than D&D or Warhammer 40K was being discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread