Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Lynx Winters posted:

Man have you guys never been in a convenience store or something? Shoot, I'm gonna go buy one right now.

http://www.hersheys.com/payday.aspx

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Paydays are my favorite candy bar.

Except for Kitkats or Reese's Peanutbutter cups that have been sitting in the freezer. Cold/frozen candy is the best candy. :colbert:

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that so many people don't know Payday. It's pretty hard to miss them when I go to a convenience store, and every now and then commercials for Payday still pop up. Not Hershey's, KitKat, Reese's, Twix, Almond Joy, Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Nestle Crunch, Snickers, Milky Way, Whatchamacallit (probably missed some here but that is most of the major brands), but I guess this just demonstrates Milk Chocolate Supremacy.

I may be biased, though. Since I had to cut chocolate out of my diet, Payday is basically the only widely available candy bar there is that I can have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Cheap Trick posted:

We have maybe four of those candy bars you mentioned in Australia.

That's how it is here, so I suppose I am more surprised now than my previous comment that the candy people haven't tried to push more brands out there in other countries.

Payday makes sense to me as a localization, but it is just that: a localization. I'm sure someone upthread, whom I can't recall at the moment in my tiredness, mentioned that a sidebar might help with stuff like this.

Maybe a derail, but I think this talk about candy bar brands demonstrates the localization factor.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I don't recall at the moment whether this already came up, but for some people, at least in fiction, a bribe IS a Pay day. I would hope that regardless the candy bar context, the term pay day or payday has some connotation fairly universally with getting money, because it's the day when your check comes in. In that sense it's kinda like a bribe, since people who don't like their job need to get paid/bribed in order to keep at it.

A bribe is probably gonna be a bit of a financial windfall too, which is why there are stories about people who keep taking bribes because they need the extra cash for themselves, their families, or whatever. So a bribe is like payday too, because you are getting a wad of cash thrown at you for "services rendered."

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I thought :spergin: was a risk with any thread in TG.

Anyhow, I would support going with the translation you feel makes sense and then having a translation notes thing so people who look at it and don't get it have something to glance over to try and understand.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Sorry! I clearly wasn't paying attention.

Gasperkun fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 13, 2013

• Locked thread