Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Hi, I'm also working on this where I can.

Laphroaig posted:

I'd love to playtest it. I have a group of 10+ players who playtested 13th Age who would be interested, and are used to the concept of taking playtest notes, what a useful observation is, etc.

Are you 'rebalancing' or tweaking the game rules as part of the playtest, or simply looking for rough/confusing elements that need clarification?

What are the goals of the playtest, basically.

The main goal is clarification and figuring out what sort of things could be localized better. In the original books, all classes, jobs, skills, items, and monsters have English names along with the Japanese names. However, the English names are often pretty dodgy. For example, a couple of Jobs will be renamed because "Bee" doesn't make as much sense as something like "Custodian" or "Laborer." As of last time we discussed it, Happymancer will not be renamed, that poo poo is too good.

We're also looking for include unclear or confusing explanations of rules, but I don't think we're trying to change any actual game mechanics from the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Silentman0 posted:

Did you make a decision regarding the totally not a Metal Gear Rising reference Murasama versus the real Muramasa?

The english on the original item card is Murasama and the katakana actually is ムラサマ, so Murasama it is.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Quite awesome to see this is A Thing. Looking forward to it, doubt I'd ever get my group to play but at least I enjoy reading RPGs.

Also I'm really laughing at at how some guys on 4chan's /tg/ are getting worked up at the idea of some of the more risque artwork being changed or removed. :allears:

I like the guy who was getting mad at the very idea of changing skill names because it would dilute the product or some bullshit. I'd love to see how mad that kind of person gets playing something like Disgaea.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Just to clarify, the cards in MK are not actually required, they are just a convenient way to combine the stats and artwork for things. I think D&D4 did the same thing for player powers? There's no CCG element to the game, and you don't draw or have a hand of cards or anything like that. It's just easier to say "OK here's the item you found" and toss a card down in front of the players than it is to have them copy down all the rules or look it up in the book every time they want to use it.

That being said, they are definitely useful and the original artwork is really good. I would like for players to have some easy way to either buy a card set or print their own, and I'm not the only one on the team who feels that way, so you can at least know that we will absolutely look at our options when we get closer to publishing.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Ratoslov posted:

Why not call it a 'Fortune Cookie'? Fortune cookies are yellow, snacks, related to money (and chance), and are also way more common in the English speaking world than the very American 'Payday' bar.

Fortune Cookie was on the table, as were Chocolate Coins and one or two other options. And hey, if we find out that we could get legal attention from Big Candy we might end up changing it back to one of those! Nothing is set in stone yet and I hope you all realize this is still really early in the localization process. There's big big chunks of setting info that hasn't had a chance to be translated yet and everything we change now is constantly under review to make sure it matches up with everything else as closely as possible.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Man have you guys never been in a convenience store or something? Shoot, I'm gonna go buy one right now.

http://www.hersheys.com/payday.aspx

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Cyphoderus posted:

I think it says a lot about the translators' predicament when this one element of the game prompts so much discussion. Imagine that they have an entire game to translate like that, poor souls.

Let me go ahead and clear up this misconception. You all have been going on about this one card for like a week now, getting into the history of the reference that the original item made and making it this big huge deal. The actual decision went like this:

Dude 1: OK let's look at Snack of Yellow Sunlight, that's a weird thing that most Westerners won't really get.
Dude 2: Alright, the rules and fluff more or less indicate that it's a snack and it's also a bribe.
Dude 3: So, maybe we go with "chocolate coins?"
Dude 1: NO. PAYDAY.
Dude 2 and 3: That is fantastic. Let's move on.

And move on we did, because we had to make the rest of the demo pack for SPIEL and only had about 12 hours left or something. In a recent conference call we were discussing just how accurate we wanted to be with the localization and on spectrum that goes from Google Translate to 4Kids, it seems like we're aiming for somewhere short of Disgaea; close enough where we can but we'll sacrifice a TINY bit of accuracy for entertainment. The other thing is that not everyone has to get every joke or reference. If we spent half the time you people have worrying about stuff like "does everyone know that this is a candy bar" this product would be bland as hell and get released in 2035.

All that being said, it seems like a lot of people would like an extra Translator's Notes sort of thing and that sounds pretty reasonable. Most of the changes will be pretty obvious in terms of why we changed it, but maybe this whole Payday thing will end up as a story or something.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

What's the relationship between the amount of space you've cleared and the number of humans in your settlement? Is one derived from the other, if you have too many humans do they begin to starve, is it all just sort of glossed over?

There is a limit to how many citizens your kingdom can have based on how many maps your kingdom owns. After clearing a dungeon you have the option to buy the map and add it to your kingdom's territory, but it's pretty expensive so it's not something to worry about at first. That said, your Kingdom Level is determined by the number of citizens you have, and your Character Level usually cannot exceed your Kingdom Level so it's something that you'll have to address eventually.

There's no mechanics for starving or anything, you just can't exceed your max citizen count until you expand your kingdom. There are also individual Facilities you can add to your Kingdom Maps that can affect the maximum number of citizens. Having enough of a certain Facility could even unlock a new Job, but that's a discussion for another time.

Also of note, not all of your citizens are strictly humans...

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Ratoslov posted:

So what, precisely, do you do with all those materials you pick up in the dungeons?

Materials have a few uses. The main one is that they can be used to craft items outside of the dungeon phase. Most items have a material cost, and if you have the correct number of the types of materials an item requires then you can spend the mats to create the item, no questions asked. This useful because it allows you to get items that might be too expensive for your kingdom to afford at the moment, or if you have a buttload of materials you can actually craft a number of Rare Items instead of hoping to find one in the dungeons.

A facility called the Blacksmith can also use materials to raise an Item's Level if it has one. For example, most weapons do an extra point of damage per Item Level, and items that recover HP get a bonus per level. There are other ways to raise Item Levels, such as special Skills or even random events.

One common type of material is Meat. An item called the Pan can be used to craft Lunches out of Meat you've collected, even while you're in the dungeon. An item that the Cook job starts with, the Apron, can be used to change any one type of material dropped by a monster into Meat, and also offers a chance of a special bonus for any Lunches made with that transformed Meat.

Finally, at the end of an adventure, materials can be sold to boost your kingdom's Treasury. This can be a big help if you have too much stuff, since materials do take up your character's Item Slots. Maybe you should use that money to build some kind of storage Facility?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Sorry, but not yet. We are once again at a stalling point and can't make any major headway on the project until some things happen, but we sort of expected this to happen around this time of the year anyway. We are still doing some stuff in the meantime but it's mostly to make our workflow easier when we do get what we need. Trust me, no matter how hard you guys are aching for some news, we are aching ten times harder.

That being said, in the interest of keeping the thread alive and keeping the game on everyone's radar, what sort of things would people like more information about? I'm always glad to talk about the game and I'm sure people got questions, so fire away.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Oh, it is absolutely less numbers to keep track of than a lot of games.

• Four basic attributes and four derived attributes.
  • Skills function like D&Ds feats and powers, rather than an exhaustive list of things like Use Rope and Accounting. Since the Skills are all displayed in the book like cards you don't even need to write the skill effects down, just photocopy the cards and have it in front of you for reference*.
  • Items actually work the same way as Skills*, and you can only carry up to six in normal circumstances. There's no encumbrance to worry about, and the few obviously heavy items will have something like "this Item takes up two of your Item Slots" in the text.
  • Materials so you know how much ogrekin meat you'll be eating for the next month.
  • Relationship scores to tell you how in love you are with your former rival at any given moment.

The back of the character sheet is all just basic rules references, explanations of things like status effects and special relationships, and other stuff designed to keep digging through the books for rules to a minimum.

The Kingdom sheet is layed out very similarly to the Character sheet, but replace Skills and Items with a map grid to fill in during play and a section to list your kingdom's noteworthy inhabitants (i.e. The Court, Talents, and Monster Citizens). The back of the Kingdom sheet is another Relationship tracker and a basic overview of the Kingdom Phase rules.

The map sheets are even simpler since they are mostly just a 3x3 grid of boxes with some lines connecting them. Tracking time in the dungeon is important but also very simple since the map sheets have a time tracker section that just requires ticking a box at the end of a Quarter. The battlefield sheet is just six horizontal boxes to show relative distance in combat and you are most likely only going to have one for the whole group.

While making sure the Kingdom and Map sheets are up-to-date is some extra paperwork, it's a pretty simple thing to spread throughout the group. If the Vizier is hanging onto the Kingdom sheet before and after adventures, it's perfectly in-character to make the Servant keep track of it in the dungeons so they can focus on ~Dungeon Logistics~ and the like. Similarly, since the Ninja is most likely to be the Court's scout it's probably a good idea for them to update the dungeon's map sheet with monsters and traps they find, but there's no reason the Oracle can't help make sure everything's right. The battlefield sheet is mostly something for the GM to worry about, but the Knight will probably want to make sure everyone's positioned correctly before a fight.

Ultimately, I'd say that Meikyuu Kingdom has a little bit more to keep track of than something like Dungeon World, but far less than most other dungeon-crawl games. Everything is pretty easy to remember, conflict resolution is pretty simple, and cards* make record-keeping much faster. I've seen people who have never played a tabletop RPG get a good grasp on how everything works in about 30-45 minutes, so I expect it to be even easier for seasoned elfgamers.

*Yes, we are absolutely looking at pre-printed decks of cards for Skills, Items, and Monsters.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Advanced Jobs either give +1 to two different stats, or +2 to one stat. Think of it this way, you're getting two of the stat bonuses a normal Job provides, but some of the advanced ones just stack the two bonuses on the same stat.

Hero will get +1 to Charisma and Warfare.
Gladiator will get +2 to Warfare.

Thank you for pointing that out, though! I've been looking at the anon version when I'm not getting bodied by school to figure out what parts could benefit from clearer writing and had not got to the Dungeon Book yet so I'll make sure to try and clear that up.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Paper Lion posted:

There's loads of stuff that could actively be clearer that I've discovered. These rules ARE stated in plain language, but they're segregated from where they would actually be relevant because ???

The 2 that jump out immediately are at character gen (page 15 of the anon pdf) the pdf defines your stats then jumps to your base ability scores by class. There's an unmarked paragraph between those that actually outlines the fact that you get a point from job and a bonus point, that information could use a little more "hey actually read and process all this" because as it is the eye sort of naturally skims that, barely notices it and just goes to the relevant stat blocks right beneath it. There should be a little "in summary" sort of equation at the end of the stat explanation I think that just says "class stat allocation +1 from job skill +1 bonus point" or something. I feel like a number of the rules are explained alright on the whole, but could benefit from that kind of image based distillation in the final product.

Having some more redundancy and convenience like that is something I would like to include. The classes that we wrote for the SPIEL demo are one page each like the original book, but that took a bunch of editing to get everything in without artwork. We also haven't heard back yet on just how faithful to the layout of the original books we need to be, so right now we're trying to be as close to the original as we can until we find out how much wiggle room we've got.

quote:

The other one was the treasure allocation. There's just a short line buried in another seemingly innocuous paragraph that outlines monster loot and how you use the rolling table for number of monsters in a line (vanguard backguard ect) instead of rolling per monster or anything stupid like that, so for our first few sessions I was giving way too much treasure by accident :( I'm sure there are loads of other things, we've had a number of issues with regards to clarity in the rules but I'm just remembering the biggest and most recent ones.

Where did you see that? It's actually not based on monster's battlefield position. The GM can (and probably should) combine the levels of identical monsters in a fight to determine which treasure chart to roll on for that group. If you have one sick-rear end boss monster and two types of weaker scrubs to back it up, you should roll three treasure tables if the PCs win: one for the boss's individual level, one for the combined levels of Scrub Type A, and one for the combined levels of Scrub Type B. If I missed some line somewhere that has you rolling stuff based on battlefield areas, please let me know because that'll have to be addressed really quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Oh I see where the confusion is coming from. The chart you're looking at is is the composition and placement of monsters in random encounters. That's got nothing to do with treasure, though. The rules I was referencing about how to roll random treasure after a fight is towards the end of the Combat section.

For example, your Court's average level is 4, there's five members of the Court, and you roll a 5 on the random encounter table. That one Vampire in the enemy Encampment and five Ghouls in the enemy Vanguard. If the party wins the fight, and I'll assume none of the monsters fled, you're going to roll for treasure twice. The first will be for the Vampire (Level 8) on the chart marked "Individual Level 6-10/Total Levels 10-15" so find out what the Vampire was carrying or hoarding. The second roll is for the Ghouls (Level 4), and you're going to add up all their levels for a total of 20, then roll on the chart labelled "Individual Level 11-15/Total Levels 16-22." Where the monsters started on the battlefield or end up when the fight is over doesn't matter for treasure.

Also, remember to include any extra powers, buffs, or weaknesses you have put on a monster to make it more unique, since those all adjust a monster's level. Keep in mind that it's the GM's choice to combine levels for the same monsters, you just need to announce whether or not you're combining a group. For example, if you have an encounter with two powerful monsters of the same type, but give them both some very different bonuses to make each one unique, you may decide to roll treasure separately for each one instead of combining their levels because they could be different enough to feel like different monsters entirely.

• Locked thread