Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
I'd love to playtest it. I have a group of 10+ players who playtested 13th Age who would be interested, and are used to the concept of taking playtest notes, what a useful observation is, etc.

Are you 'rebalancing' or tweaking the game rules as part of the playtest, or simply looking for rough/confusing elements that need clarification?

What are the goals of the playtest, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Mystic Mongol posted:

We want to play it so bad.

I volunteered you along with the others, since we'd all expressed an interest before.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Alhambra proves its useful knowledge yet again.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Once you have a big list of these items, have your playtesters show them to random people. Make a google documents form with the items in question, and have them record the responses. Get someone with a basic understanding of polling and statistics to assemble the form, and your playtest is already better than D&D Next's.

But really, the only way to know if the joke translates/the intent is clear is to ask people.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Not to mention it is doubtful that everyone in japan knows about yamabuki-iro as a novelty product anyway; they DO know about the kabuki scene though.

Its one of those things where I question if it can be localized as both a bribe AND a food product, since even in the originating culture, does the majority of japan know about these novelty food items? Is there a parallel food item that a world-wide english-speaking audience will understand?

There are a number of worldwide food brands in the English speaking world. McDonalds, Nestle, etc. But in individual countries, only a few flagship products will be universal. The BigMac exists worldwide, except in India, where it is made with chicken. Other McDonalds products can be very local, or differ fairly dramatically in presentation, quality, ingredients used etc.

Since there probably isn't a parallel product, you can either localize it as "Golden Cakes" or something equally generic, or try for a pun like Payday that is much less generic but closer to the original double meaning.

Honestly, a playtest of the translation will bring up a lot of these elements, because certain groups will get a cultural reference that will leave another group scratching their heads. If someone can tease out the meaning or discover it with a quick google, I feel there is no harm no foul. But if its just baffling, then maybe it is time to take it back to the drawing board. Only way to know, and identify problems, is to get the translation out there ultimately.

Translation is hard. Localization is even harder, especially if your market is not just "North America" but "The english speaking world."

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Lynx Winters posted:

And move on we did, because we had to make the rest of the demo pack for SPIEL and only had about 12 hours left or something. In a recent conference call we were discussing just how accurate we wanted to be with the localization and on spectrum that goes from Google Translate to 4Kids, it seems like we're aiming for somewhere short of Disgaea; close enough where we can but we'll sacrifice a TINY bit of accuracy for entertainment

Disgaea is a great standard to hold up. I hope your localization is as good!

Though a 4Kids version would be hilarious due to the incredible wave of tears it would generate across the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Any updates as we turn the Holiday Bend and into 2014?

• Locked thread