Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Music: Terminus

What is this?

Dysfunctional Systems Episode 1: Learning to Manage Chaos is a Visual Novel created by Dischan. It is the first in a series of visual novels about a young girl named Winter Harrison, a mediator-in-training. Mediators are people who travel to other worlds and resolve problems therein, trying to stem "chaos" by any means necessary. Unfortunately, the different worlds are full of surprises and Winter's utopian world has left her woefully unprepared for what she will experience...

Why LP this?

The game features absolutely kick-rear end art and music. This VN is notable for having a ridiculous amount of minute animations (that I will sadly be unable to convey in an SSLP) that enhance emotion and really present everything the genre has to offer. The story, short as it is, presents an interesting and intriguing concept that caught my interest right away. The great writing and the tense plot instantly made me fall in love. While this game has some downsides, it is a fantastic work that I do not regret purchasing. It costs $5 on Steam, by the way.

Where can I buy it?

You can buy it on Steam here. And not only do you get the game, you also get the soundtrack. For $5, that's an absolute steal. You spent twice as much on an SA account!

Where are the next episodes?

While there was a Kickstarter, and it was quite successful, the project was eventually stopped. Dischan created an "Episode 0" but they were dissatisfied with the quality so it was never released. No episodes are coming out anytime soon since the team (understandably) lost the drive to make more. While I am hopeful they'll eventually try again, I realize that it will be a while until we see any continuation to the DysSys storyline.
Regardless, this is still a cheap, cool game and you should check it out!

How about spoilers?

:siren:ABSOLUTELY. NONE. WHATSOEVER.:siren:
No tags, no hinting, nothing.
This game is very short and the action will come soon enough. And since VNs ride on their plot, especially this one, spoiling what happens will ruin the experience for everyone involved. So don't do that!

Now without further ado, let's begin!

Table of Contents

Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4
Update 5
Update 6
Update 7
Update 8
Update 9
Winter/Rebel Ending
Update 10
Update 11
Winter/Follower Ending

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A good example of one of the subtle animations used in this game. Look at Cyrus' eyes

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 31, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Update I

Music: Turbulence

The bill comes after a public outcry that the majority of Brighton citizens are without income: too poor to make ends meet after the recent increase in food prices. The change brings minimum wage for workers working over forty hours a week to three sixty-seven an hour, and workers working less to three twenty.

Although welcomed by most, there has been stiff opposition toward the bill from foreign investors, primarily those from Gabrea. Major Gabrean companies, such as Ujko and Norkli, have warned that wage increases would hurt Brighton's economy, arguing that the new rate would cause more layoffs, as they cannot afford as many employees.

President Barnaby, who has been supportive of the legislation since its inception, retorted that well-fed employees were more productive, and reminded Ujko and Norkli representatives that employing a Brighton citizen was still well over sixteen times less expensive than employing a citizen of their home country.

President Barnaby assured citizens that the drop should only be temporary, and that the markets will begin to rise again after the initial shock has subsided.

With the minimum wage increase, Barnaby has fulfilled the last of the campaign promises made during his fifteen twenty-three campaign trail. Whether or not he manages to accomplish his fifteen twenty-seven goals remains to be seen.

With that, we conclude our hourly business report. Next up, the latest in entertainment news.

And now we get to hear some thoughts from out protagonists, Winter Harrison.

(Really, if these worlds were nothing like my own, at least then I could appropriately flip out. But no, they're similar. Too similar. I keep slipping into a feeling of normalcy only to have that sensation of strangeness slap me across the face at the first time of something weird)

(There are plenty of weird sights around to do so, too. Like, for instance, these advanced-looking televisions in this decrepit-looking building (which I can only assume is an electronics store). These are the first things I've seen since arriving in this world that actually look somewhat..."new". Fancy, even.)

(Up until now, everything has been old, ramshackle and in various states of disrepair. It makes me feel very nervous...It's just so profoundly disturbing; will I ever get used to this?)

For better or worse, a large chunk of this game is spent inside Winter's head. While this provides atmosphere and narrative, the game goes overboard with it at times.

(I think that I will, some year or decade from now, if my mentor is any indication. Look at him: Standing there so aloof, as if this were just another day to him...which, yeah, I suppose it is. Well, what do I know? Nothing.)

And now we get a proper look at our main characters of the game.
You may notice we have new stuff inside the Codex. It's just a glossary of terms that the game will force me to read later. I'll show it then.

What do you think?

"Think"? About what?

About what we just saw and heard.

Oh...

drat it, Winter.

As you may have noticed, this game has A LOT of subtle expression shifts. From Winter opening her mouth slightly a few lines up, to Cyrus narrowing his eyes in disappointment here. This is what makes the game feel great, and what also makes an SSLP a pain in the rear end. I will be using the major shifts in expression, as well as a few minor ones, for my character portraits. If an expression is "too subtle" I will just use a similar face portrait stead.
I love the effort that was put into this game. I think some expressions are only for like one or two lines!

Y-Yes-Yeah; I will! ...Sorry.

It's just...

Well...

Well, of course. I was the same when I first started out.

There aren't that many examples of conflict at all in our world.

(Right!)

(Totally!)

Yet still-

Winter, You'll come to understand conflict very well, don't worry.

After all, you'll be doing nothing but dealing with it.

(Lame.)

Well, anyway...

You read the material on this world, right? It should have been your homework.

It was.

Oh I know what THAT answer means.

Then tell me what you think.

Er...

(Perhaps it's time to admit that I didn't spend much of last night "reading the material" so much as "turning the pages and glancing at them".)

(I was tired, and honestly found watching the bubbles in my soda significantly more captivating than the words in those files.)

(The way they merge with each other and crawl up the glass is really incredibly pretty...)

:sigh: Winter...

You're certainly pondering hard, there, Winter. You must be whipping up a dazzling answer.

Well. It's better than nothing.

That's a fact, Winter, not a thought.

S-Sorry...Ummm, what I think is...

I think...

(Nothing! Look, what I've learned so far in class doesn't seem to be particularly applicable to this world, so I'm finding it a bit difficult to care!)

(How can I care, anyway!? Besides all that, this is all so disconnected from me! Plus it's also my second world, for heaven's sake! I'm still flummoxed by the fact that other worlds exist! What am I supposed to think when they just toss me into these places, give me a pat on the back and say "be on your way, merry child!")

(Urrrrrggghhh! BLAH! I'll scream "BLAH" at Cyrus or any other mentor who questions me like this!)

(...)

(I mean...I won't, but I would! I completely, totally and so would!)

(For now, though...an awkward wobbling smile is all I can muster.)

(Blah.)

...?

What do you think the next step is?

(Alright. Cool it Winter. Just...remain calm, and genuinely consider the question.)

Hmmmm...

The next thing to do...We need to learn things that weren't given?

Right.

Well, it's because they are simply comprised of firsthand information: noteworthy things that mediators have gathered through observation and gleaned from prior trips to the world. You're lucky you even have that much; sometimes you get sent to worlds that have never been visited before.

Let me tell you, it's never a fun surprise when a dragon flies from behind a mountain, or when you realize that the person you've been talking to is really just a convincing projection...or worse, a robot. And once you start going systems that threaten your definition of what being a 'world' even means...? Hmph, good luck.

...Then again, only experienced mediators have to deal with such things. You won't be going to any unvisited worlds, at least definitely not yet.

Oh...

Another question: why revisit worlds that've been helped?

I mean, once order is in place everything should be fine, right? I, uhm, I mean...

(Cyrus frowns, but his expression seems more complicated than that. I say that because his frown isn't alone. In his eyes there is a glint of irritation, directed at no one in particular.)

(As any glint, it's gone in a second, replaced by another thing that I can't quite decipher. Part of me is curious as to what it is, but most of me doesn't care.)

Uh...

Sir, are you saying there's no point to anything?

No.

Furthermore, it is the spark of evolution. It plays a key part in those mutations which allow life to grow and improve itself.

However, for life to succeed there must be order. It's like...hm, it's like how cells must work together, and organs must serve their purpose.

You see, a system where chaos is stronger than order is likely to collapse, just as an organism which has succumbed to a disease is likely to die.

In short: we are not here to eradicate chaos, Winter. We are only here to keep it in check.

I like this bit. The audience gets an understanding of what it is they do, without needing to understand the whys and hows.

Oh.

Anyway, where do you think we should go next?

Um...

Well, someplace with a lot of information, I suppose.

(The answer is so obvious, I should be insulted. After all, I've gone there for my first mediation.)

The...No, that's not...Why would we go to the library?

I mean, I get your line of thought: libraries can tell you a lot about a world's history, and I would bet there are computers there too, considering the world we're in. Unfortunately, that kind of knowledge probably wouldn't be so helpful for this job.

(What about scholarly journals? Reliable sources?)

Huh?

Is...? Hm.

What is it?

Oh, well, um...

I just had a thought..."Are the bars here special, like library-bars?"

I figured maybe you liked a drink as you read, maybe...

No.
No, that sounds horrible Winter.

:thurman:

Sorry.

Bars here should be normal, as far as I'm aware. We'll head there because bars are where people go to talk.

The characters actually bobble up and down as the screen scrolls to the left. Effort!

(I've seen a few vehicles pass us by, so I guess it is. Or should I say that I've heard them, for they have been loud. They are pretty sorry excuse for transportation, though. They have these grotesque, metal protrusions out of their front, which billow dark smoke and occasionally drip liquid. As if that weren't enough, most every frame of these things has looked like a Bludgeon team went wild on it.)

(They were such bewildering things that they distracted me from the matter at hand: Cyrus. Is he not going to elaborate at all? He just walked off after telling me that people talk at bars. Thanks, Cyrus. I would not have guessed that people talk at places.)

Oh, Winter. To be so naive as you are once more...

(Isn't he supposed to be teaching me? How can I learn anything with such vague statements? "Well, Winter! Well. Well, you need to go to the ice cream parlor, Winter, because they sell food, Winter. Well.")

(I mean, seriously, don't people talk everywhere?)

Sir, don't people talk everywhere?

Isn't that the sort of thing humans are known for, in general?

Well aren't you snippy?

It's an honest question, Cyrus. She's 14-years old. Don't be a dick.

(ARGH!! I shouldn't have said it like that! He's my superior! I bet he'll lower my grade now...)

S-sorry, sir! I didn't mean to be!

I-It's just a bit frustrating when you don't explain yourself properly...

Oh? I thought it was mostly self-explanatory.

Not at all, sir-Well, maybe it is, but I don't really know anything about bars. I've never seen the outside of one.

Ah, that's right: we're really not into drinking back home, are we?

(I don't know if I would say that. Perhaps not everyone is the same.)

Well, bars are generally places where people go to unwind.

And the alcohol loses their lips, so to speak.

They'll talk about almost anything: themselves, their troubles...

Cyrus' logic is admittedly sound. How many times have you seen some drunk guy complain about politics at a bar?

It's a useful place to visit.

Speaking of problems: what was the issue of the last world you visited?

Pollution.

The world was oldish and much less practical than ours. They kept throwing out their stuff wrong, and had bad ways of making energy. Their water ended up getting poisoned, and a lot of them were sick.

Long-term project, I assume?

Yeah. My mentor had already been working on it for a while before I came. I think it was around five months.

That so...Hmph, glad I'm assigned short-term projects. It'd be...something awful to get stuck with the same problem for nearly a year.

(I agree, but I don't know about the way you said that.)

How long did you shadow her?

Three days.

I see.

Music: *NONE*

This image flashes briefly before becoming normal once more. There is a "thud" sound and the music also stops. Note, there is still some ambient sound, birds squawking, quiet traffic sounds and so on.
The Extras section of this game has this picture, apparently this is Winter's mom.

No, sir! I would never-I mean...I'm too young!

(I stop in my tracks and he stops to turn.)

Goddamnit Cyrus. Don't make this weird, you dick.

(It is creepy. I am uncomfortable.)

As am I!

No, you wouldn't do anything against the rules, would you?

(...Is that a test? A trick? A challenge?)

Uhm, no sir: I would not.

(His smile broadens at this, and my discomfort increases.)

You know, Winter...

Each world you visit will have its own laws, its own customs and its own social graces. You're going to have to learn to make your mind a little more flexible if you want to succeed.

I don't want to! Besides, I'm underage! It's against the law!

Well, Winter, in many cultures you will be expected to drink, even at your current age.

You should be ready for that, and you should know the effects alcohol has on yourself and others.

Wha...

Yeah. That's a really lovely justification, Cyrus.
You're not inspiring a lot of confidence in either Winter or myself.

(He's telling me to break the law?)

(...Whoah, no. No. That is completely out of my comfort zone. I probably hate alcohol, even! ...Right? I do not want to do this. I mean I know we're in another world, so it's not really the law, but...)

(...No. This is my conviction. I was born and raised to a set of rules, and I think it would be best to live by them. It is like what I learned in class...)

That is good advice, I suppose. But I'd take it with a grain of salt. You don't necessarily have to absorb ALL the culture, but you'd have to be a complete sociopath to not absorb any. Besides when you understand a place's culture, you become more understanding of their problems and more empathetic towards the people. Those two qualities seem to be pretty important in Winter's line of work.

(I am Winter Harrison. I will not be shaken by this.)

I don't think I can do that, sir.

Winter...

That's an order. This is part of your training. If you do not drink alcohol at the bar, I will be forced to fail you.

What-!?

(That...Isn't...!)

...ss...

Hmm?

That's...not allowed! You can't make me do anything!

It's so nice to see a protagonist who stands up for herself. Especially in a VN.

I most certainly can: I'm your mentor.

Only for today! Only for today, and you aren't always going to be that!

Tch...

(I'm right...! I can tell I'm right because my cheeks are flushed, my heart is pounding and he looks wounded. I hurt him! I struck out against him, and he knows he's wrong!)

(It isn't just enough that hes hurting inside, though...I need to teach him a lesson! I need to knock it into him! Therefore, I will raise this trembling arm and trembling fist...I will raise it, and grit my teeth, and I'll...I'll...)

Wha-

I...I am rebelling against you...

Did you just punch me?

(I nod my head quickly and with purpose.)

You did?

Wh-What does it look like!? My fist smashed into your ribs, didn't it?

Well, 'smashed' is...

(All of a sudden, my hair goes "paf", as if something heavy has lightly fallen on it.)

(Although I know what he is doing (in fact, I just said so), I'm still compelled to ask...)

...What are you doing?

Winter...fine: I won't force you to drink.

You mean you can't.

I mean I won't.

I will, however, put forth a stern suggestion: It would be very wise of you to drink.

It will help you ease into the taste of another place.

I know what they've taught you, and I'd be lying if I said I ignore what I've learned.

Yeah, this is what I meant. Seems Cyrus had the same idea I did.

I haven't forgotten and neither have you, it seems. But you shouldn't be afraid outside of yourself, if only for a little while.

In a sense, that's what you're already doing, being here.

So I urge you, Winter.

Have a pint.

...I...

Hm...

Well, there's a bar. C'mon, Winter.

(I run my hand through my hair and grimace. I wonder if since all storefronts look like this, maybe they're all bars? What a terrible thought. What if this is a culture which loves to drink? Will I be expected to drink a lot? I hope not.)

(Warily, I begin to follow Cyrus.)

See you next time everybody, when we discover the root cause of this system's conflict!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 28, 2013

Tsolum
Jun 12, 2013
Technical note:

quote:

I like this bit. The audience gets an understanding of what it is they do, without needing to understand the whys and hows.
All your comments before this are not italicized, and all the ones after are. There's also a lone [i] tag on the last line of the update.

Would it be possible to make a gif of one of the subtle face changes? I think they might be too subtle to see with scrolling. If it's a big hassle, it's not a problem then.

This seems like a really cool visual novel so far. The music is fantastic, I've got the playlist you linked just running in the background right now. Are there spoilers in it I should be careful to not see? Track names, anything like that?

Storywise, I've got a dozen questions or more running through my mind, most of which I'm sure will be answered in due time. Are Mediators special in some way, or is it just another job? What makes them so special to reign in chaos on other worlds then? Does Winter dislike alcohol because her mom was a drunk? Is knowing that picture is of her mom knowledge we should have? If she was a drunk, is Winter's strict adherence to the rules a result of that? I hope this will be a good story.

This is a thread I'll be watching. Maybe I'll pick up the game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Thanks, I fixed it now :)

As for the subtle face change, here's the gif:

EDIT: Forgot to answer this: the track list is okay, there aren't any spoilers there.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 28, 2013

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I was looking at this game when it came up on Steam. I decided I was going to try the guy's first game, Juniper Knot, since that's available for free. Never actually got around to playing that, though, so I'm really glad to see this. If it keeps up this quality, I might go ahead and make the purchase.

The writing is quite solid, and it is handling its exposition very well, which is often difficult in more speculative genres. The interactions between Cyrus and Winter are charming, by and large, and it'll be interesting to see how this relationship develops.

Tsolum
Jun 12, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

As for the subtle face change, here's the gif:

Oh geez, that's even more subtle than I thought. Obviously this would be the kind of detail that I assume people might miss, if they're the type to keep fixated on the text, and only glance up when the picture changes drastically. I know I'm that kind of person sometimes when reading these. I wonder how much I've missed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is an unusual concept. I wonder how you get into this line of work, that 14 seems a good age to be out and about.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh hey, this started. This is a good game, and I'm looking forward to future episodes coming out.

The production values are surprisingly great; the art is good and the soundtrack is fantastic (especially Terminus), and so I hope that getting onto Steam gets the makers some well-deserved popularity. (The writing is good too, but it's harder to get production values then good writing in a tiny niche like this.)

Anyway, you're doing a great job with this so far, and you're saving me the trouble of doing this sometime in the future :v:, so I'm looking forward to this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I picked this game up on iOS a while ago (funfact: this game is available on iOS for... $3/£2.50, I think?) and just now got to playing through it. I'm now eagerly awaiting Episode 2.

The music alone could sell this game, really, but what really clinches it is that Winter is an interesting and relatable character (despite being an androgynous anime teenager) and her inner monologues are engaging and enjoyable to behold. Oh, and the plot is also pretty good. As we're going to find out.

Just one thing, though: Never, ever, open the Guest Artwork menu. The director of Dischan has gone on record as saying he regrets including it (having done so despite his better judgement), nothing like it will ever be included in any future games, and the only reason it hasn't been patched out is so it can be an enduring reminder for him to never do anything that dumb again.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Fedule posted:

Just one thing, though: Never, ever, open the Guest Artwork menu. The director of Dischan has gone on record as saying he regrets including it (having done so despite his better judgement), nothing like it will ever be included in any future games, and the only reason it hasn't been patched out is so it can be an enduring reminder for him to never do anything that dumb again.

I'm glad he said that. Those being included soured my opinion on the devs pretty badly. Well, that and one of the comments one artist made on an illustration.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I was going to mention that one of the bad parts of the game was that fan art section. It's part of the Concept art Illustrations menu, for some reason. Which is a shame, because the actual illustrations are loving rad.
Of the fanart, maybe 2 of the pieces are okay, but the rest is proof that fans are The Worst People.

An even bigger shame is that if you Google "Dysfunctional Systems" the worst of the fanart will be the first to pop up. Which can make recommending this game to others somewhat difficult.

Like I said, The Worst People.

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm glad he said that. Those being included soured my opinion on the devs pretty badly. Well, that and one of the comments one artist made on an illustration.

I know exactly which one you mean.

Fedule posted:

The director of Dischan has gone on record as saying he regrets including it (having done so despite his better judgement), nothing like it will ever be included in any future games, and the only reason it hasn't been patched out is so it can be an enduring reminder for him to never do anything that dumb again.

Really? I was under the impression he was getting some cash in return for putting that section in.

VVV Yes, Illustrations, you're right.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 31, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah, I was going to mention that one of the bad parts of the game was that fan art section. It's part of the Concept art menu, for some reason. Which is a shame, because the actual concept art is loving rad.
Of the fanart, maybe 2 of the pieces are okay, but the rest is proof that fans are The Worst People.

They're packed in with the in-game illustrations, actually. Concept art is a whole different menu that I hope you show off later on.

SSNeoman posted:

I know exactly which one you mean.

It's kinda distressing how easily you picked up on which one I was talking about.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, here's what he actually said, free of my attempts to read into it:

quote:

Hello [Steam forum user].

I will certainly address your concerns.

In my opinion, you are correct. Some of the content in the extras would be viewed by many as inappropriate. You are also not alone: we have received multiple complaints about this issue.

It may or may not surprise you to know that I did not want to include the content you are refering to in the game. However, circumstances caused me to go against my judgement.

I could remove the offending images and text, but I would prefer not to. I don't believe in retroactive censoring, so I don't think I would remove anything unless forced to by Valve. I can tell you though that it's very unlikely that any similar content will be included in future games from us.

I'm sorry I can't give a better explaination as to why the content is in the game. Doing so would amount to pointing fingers and I would really rather not do that.

I am sorry if the content offended you or ruined the game for you.

- Jeremy Miller
Director of Dischan Media

I don't know about them getting money for including it, although that certainly isn't mutually exclusive with what was said there.

Lance Streetman posted:

They're packed in with the in-game illustrations, actually. Concept art is a whole different menu that I hope you show off later on.

On the iOS version they're in a separate submenu - concept art and in-game illustrations are somewhere else. Thankfully.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Fedule posted:

On the iOS version they're in a separate submenu - concept art and in-game illustrations are somewhere else. Thankfully.

"Dear the collective users on Steam: gently caress you.

Sincerely, Dischan."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You pretty much have to show it off now.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, I picked this up because the first update made it look pretty interesting, and I liked it a lot. However, I never looked at the extras menu. So I thought, "How bad could it be?" Then I see the one you guys were talking about and the one after it. Never again. :stonk:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

If it's any consolation, it looks like the guy's contributions to the game were minimal at best. He basically provided a few CGs and helped the main artist work on the album cover.

ultrafilter posted:

You pretty much have to show it off now.

He really doesn't. Trust me.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 31, 2013

Tsolum
Jun 12, 2013
I don't want to look too far into the internet in case of spoilers, but after doing an image search of the game's name, I can assume that I know what picture you're talking about. If I was looking into the game and saw that, I'd think it's a sketchier game than it's looking like it's turning out to be.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tsolum posted:

I don't want to look too far into the internet in case of spoilers, but after doing an image search of the game's name, I can assume that I know what picture you're talking about. If I was looking into the game and saw that, I'd think it's a sketchier game than it's looking like it's turning out to be.

That's exactly what I mean. One of the video game news sites even used it as the game's splash page.

Not only is it non-indicative of what the game is actually like, not only "she's 14-years-old what the gently caress guys?" but once you see where the story goes, such pictures get an extra level of uncomfortableness. Give me 5-ish updates and you'll see what I mean.

Lance Streetman posted:

If it's any consolation, it looks like the guy's contributions to the game were minimal at best. He basically provided a few CGs and helped the main artist work on the album cover.

Sad thing is, the dude has some talent. It's just...yeah.
As for why they don't remove them, I imagine that it would probably break something somewhere. Dischan doesn't seem to be a big group, so I can understand why they wouldn't devote manpower to removing something that wasn't an immediate issue. They seem to have trouble making ends meet from the looks of it.

As for the next update, my planned cutoff point turned out to be much further than I planned. Should I make the next update really big, or should I just post it in two updates?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

As for the next update, my planned cutoff point turned out to be much further than I planned. Should I make the next update really big, or should I just post it in two updates?

Space it out. It's only the first page, you don't want too many big images slowing down everybody's connection.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Update 2

Music: Tempering

Welcome back. Today we're going to explore the wonderful (wonderful, wonderful, wonderful) world of alcoholic beverages, and maybe even figure out what's causing chaos in this System!

(Mother always talks about how awful bars are, and how that's why she only ever drinks at home. Sweaty and piggish and smelling like failure...This can only lead to misery.)

I have yet to visit such bars. The bars I've been in were usually very clean. Some utopian world, amiright fellas? :smug:

(Slowly, I part the fingers over my nostrils.)

(...)

(It does not smell at all.)

(Hey! Leave me alone! I've been misled!)

(Slowly, I put down my hand, but not without glaring at Cyrus. He ignores this, of course, and walks over to an empty table to have a seat. He then pats the top of the chair next to him, inviting me.)

(Well, whatever. I follow his lead, still cautious of this place.)

What do you imagine that means?

It's not a popular place?

...Most of the people here really like to work?

Or maybe they really have to.

Well, it's probably a good thing that this place is so empty: too many customers might be a bit overwhelming for you. Can also make it rather difficult to actually find out anything.

I see.

(There are only four other people in the bar besides us: all of whom are men, and all thrice my age by the look of it. The two who seem to be customers are dressed in a rather rough manner, like they've walked out of a construction site. I'm not the type to pride myself on appearance or anything, but I actually feel slightly embarrassed for them.)

(They aren't the first in this world to look so deplorable, though...In fact, I would say they look fairly good by comparison. Most people I've seen look like they picked their outfits from a pile of rags. Thankfully the other two, both in uniform, are very presentable. The waiter (or he's probably the waiter) looks rather spiffy, and the man behind the counter is quite cleanly dressed, so this world is not entirely hopeless.)

drat Winter. Forget the fashion police, you sound like you wanna bring in the fashion delta force.

(But enough about men and clothes, the wall behind the counter is far more interesting...There are two lengthy rows of wildly varying bottles: some round, some square and some outright peculiar. Admittedly, I am enticed. Only for a second, I assure you. After all...)

Well, I wouldn't know myself: I've never tried it.

What? You've never tried alcohol?

No, piss.

Okay Cyrus, that was a good one. A good way to make up for being a creep about this whole bar thing.

...It isn't the best until you get used to it.

...That aside, I've also been told that it makes you act like a twit, causes bouts of forgetfulness and slowly poisons your liver.

That is true, to a point.

Some readers posited that Winter's not so thrilled about alcohol because of that memory of her mother. Indeed, her expression here is the same as it was when she remembered that time.
While that picture of Winter's mom is somewhat silly, especially with young Winter's pout, current day Winter doesn't seem to cherish the memory. She actually looks kind of bitter when she thinks of it. I suppose one could explain this as Winter being a stick-in-the-mud (and that is somewhat true to an extent) but "Winter's mom was an alcoholic" seems far more plausible.
That said, the picture seems too...cheery for that, and the story makes it clear that drinking alcohol isn't popular in Winter's System. So it's possible that Winter's mom is just a semi-casual drinker by our standards and is simply stigmatized by her society for it. Winter is simply repeating what others told her.
If Winter's mom is an alcoholic, it would certainly give that picture of her a darker undertone.

Not everyone does, but there's the possibility.

Then, why drink it?

Some people enjoy losing control over themselves...and many love to forget. You'll see for yourself, and be able to form your own opinion, soon.

(I would rather not. Honestly, I am more than fine with following the popular opinion. It is often correct and has saved me a lot of trouble in the past.)

(While my thoughts wander to safer days, the man who I believe is the waiter comes to our table)

What can I get you?

Two beers, any brand you'd like.

Coming right up.

(When he departs, I find myself curious about two things. Firstly...)

No. One is for me.

Why would you want to drink one?

I'm one of the people who enjoy losing a bit of control over themselves.

(I would not have pegged him the sort. At any rate, the second thing...)

What's a brand sir? Does it have something to do with fire and iron?

Err...Pardon?

Well...We used to brand cattle and other animals with a symbol that would associate them with their farmer, right? That is, if I remember my history. That was with fire and iron, so...this is something similar?

(I'm not saying something stupid, am I?)

Is this how the alcohol is made, perhaps?

Are the ingredients burned in some way before they're officially beer? Maybe with some sort of spiritual symbol?

They do call them spirits, after all. there must be a reason for that, right?

Oh Winter. The truth is so much worse and so much less romantic.

(Why isn't he saying anything!?)

O-Or, it has something to do with real spirits? Like some sort of rite where each batch is brewed in honor of someone who died? I mean I've read these places can be very strange, and-

A-Am I close?

(Oh, please let me be close.)

:thurman: DREAMCRUSHER :thurman:

(Crap! I should have shut up way earlier. Why'd I ramble like that? Now I look the fool...Honestly, though, I'm a little disappointed. Some fantasy would be nice.)

...Winter, I'm starting to think you've already gotten yourself drunk off the atmosphere.

It was honestly a good question. Doesn't their world have different brands for basically the same product? Does their world not have competition between companies? A monopoly hardly seems proper for a utopian society. And considering Cyrus' little speech about chaos, it doesn't make sense that their world doesn't have evolving products.
...Or is their society not as utopian as we think it is?

Oh, please.

Here you go.

(The waiter has returned, bearing two tall and thick tankards foaming at the brim.)

(Beer...right? I know more of vodka and wines)

I wonder if this is the authors using a commonly known drink or if this means Slavic languages exist in Winter's System. Vodka is Russian (Well, old Slavic) for water, in the diminutive form. 'Little/Dear water' is the closest translation. You use diminutive forms (specifically of the -ka type) to show familiarity/endearment with something/someone. If you use it with a person's name, it means they are a close friend of yours, or at least someone you knew for a long while. Considering the harshness of the drink, I expect people were being ironic and the name stuck.
Also, possibly further evidence for "Winter's mom is/was an alcoholic" theory.

Enjoy.

(He leaves. I peek over the cup's lip, and peer into its mouth.)

(The beverage does not take kindly to my curiosity, bubbling and spitting at me.)

--!

(I withdraw with a start. How intimidating...)

Sir...

Don't be such a baby; it won't kill you.

There will be much worse things you'll have to swallow than alcohol, trust me.

(It sounds like Cyrus is perfectly fine with bending over, should the situation demand it.)

(It's quite the opposite of weakness, really; it's strength. No one is going to be forcing me to do anything I don't agree to. That said...I did say I would drink some of this.)

(Lifting the glass with both hands, I gingerly tip it toward my lips, and take in a mouthful.)

Ahahahaha Oh man :allears: I think we've all been there, huh?

(Oh heavens. I do not want to drink this. I swish the liquid a bit, and as it mixes with my saliva it seems nearly viscous, even. I want to retch. This is simply the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth.)

(Atrocious. It bullies the back of my throat with a sizzling-no, a burning sensation that has spread throughout my entire oral cavity. The ordeal lasts less than ten seconds before I stop thinking and just swallow it.)

Mmg-

Bleh! Puh-Puhtt! Lllleeeeeeaaaauuuuuu

Oh, come on.

(Goose bumps ripple across my skin, and my eyes water. The beer drains down my esophagus, razing everything in its descent.)

Hoh...This is pretty okay, actually! Best I've had in a while.

You're joking.

That was worse than what I imagine piss to taste like.

And the sensation...Everything about it; it's just...It's disgusting!

(Honestly, I find myself at a loss for words here! The beverage is just nasty!)

Finish that glass, and we'll move along.

I'm not finishing this.

Do it.

Do it.

(I mock him.)

Don't take that tone, just finish your glass.

Finish my glass?

(I let my hands drop with gravity, my cup crashing into the table.)

This? This is what you want me to finish.

(-who I am quickly losing respect for-)

Pardon?

It isn't loud in here Cyrus...I know that you heard me.

Well then, what do you want me to do?

Nothing now. The future is not now - now is the present. The future is later, and I will tell you then.

You're sure you're not drunk, Winter?

You'll have your way if you'll have mine, Winter Harrison.

It is a deal you cannot break... sir.

(When I set it down, there is naught but suds. Cyrus is impressed. I am appalled.)

(Waaa-! This is so nasty...! I squeeze my eyes shut, and let the wave of warm and trembling feelings wash over me.)

Ugh.

Mercy, Winter...That was something else...How are you feeling?

(I answer him with a stare and a shiver.)

Really?

(I shake my head. Honestly, now that the wretched experience of an instant is over, I realize I was overreacting. While certainly vile, it doesn't seem to be immediately damaging...It looks like it will take more than one beer to impair my judgement.)

(...Either that, or this stuff's effects are simply delayed.)

I'm fine. I think.

Ah, you should be.

Yes, I...don't really...

(I realize I might have spoken too soon, as I suddenly feel a bit...as though I'm glowing?)

(It's not a terrible feeling, and I still seem to be myself. All is in order.)

I don't feel much different at all.

Give it some time. You didn't really drink too much anyway. There usually isn't a whole lot of alcohol in beer.

(Wonderful. Both my theories were true.)

Okay...so what now?

(Cyrus discreetly points to a man in the corner.)

I am going to talk to that man; you take the one at the counter. Try bringing up work, and going on from there.

Oh, and of course: don't forget to keep where we're from and why we're here a secret.

I wonder what Cyrus means when he says this? He never elaborates on it.

I'm going to talk to him alone?

Well, yes, I think it would make him pretty uncomfortable to have both of us ganging up on him.

Oh...I don't know about this.

Don't worry. The bartender is right there, and I'm not far either. Nothing will happen to you.

It's not that...I'm just not very good at talking to people.

You're doing fine with me.

That's not helping, Cyrus.

You're my superior.

...Just go over there and give it a try.

...Fine.

(My knees quiver with fear, and I firmly plant my feet, my heart thumping like I'm about to die.)

Gracious, what was that? Did something happen? Have we failed!?

Shut up.

(I pause.)

'Tipsy'. Oh: buzzed. Right, I'm just...

...Uh, crap.

Just get over there.

Music: Looking In

(I find the act curiously challenging and amusing: each step I consider rather silly in its shakiness, and I begin wondering about how people learn to walk at all.)

(It is not quite how my thoughts usually go...I think. I can't quite remember what I usually think about, right now. I am not drunk. I have an idea of what that is from looking, and this is not it.)

(Ah, right: I'm 'tipsy'...Goodness, I'm unbalanced.)

(I start slowing near the stools, and suddenly break out in a cold sweat. I am not good with people, so what am I doing about to talk to a man?)

(While I am doing this, the order to "stop" is not processed physically. I sit right down next to the gentleman as if it is the most natural thing in the world and we are the oldest of pals: strong ties - bonds formed from manual labor at the piers...I wonder how much alcohol I actually drank. Enough of this: engage the man by his eyes.)

The internal dialogue for this part is adorable.
Not the best in the game.
That comes later.

(Yeeeees...like that: like in the books. Hmmmmmmm...Lean forward and get a closer look, Winter Harrison.)

Next time, we'll talk to this guy and actually learn something important!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 21, 2013

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
At this point I have two observations to make.

One: I cannot - I cannot - stop seeing Cyrus as a Ctrl-Alt-Delete character. I'm sorry, Dischan, I don't mean to draw honest comparisons between your work and that thing but just... I can't stop looking at that guy's face and seeing B^U. Even if he doesn't have chronic fishmouth.

Two: This did not properly dawn on me until after I finished the game and poked through the sound test, but it bears pointing out because it's impressive; this game doesn't seem to ever reuse music. It's one track -> one scene. How many games do that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Now I want a beer.

Anyway, you've got some messed up italics tags at the very end there.

(Also, did you draw that waiter portrait yourself? I like it :kimchi:)

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

Thanks for showing off this game; I impulse-bought it today after seeing the beginning on here (and hearing the music linked, which is worth the price of the game by itself). Didn't regret it at all. It's different and interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they'll take the story.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it just me or does anybody else want to know more about Winter's mom than whatever's going on on this planet?

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
I recently bought this game because I enjoyed Juniper's Knot, and it seems like Dischan has once again produced a fine work. One thing that they do well is express subtle emotions in the text and the characters' faces.

I look forward to seeing some alternative game paths from the one I'm currently playing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Now I want a beer.

Haha, me too.

Cake Attack posted:

Anyway, you've got some messed up italics tags at the very end there.

Yep, got em, thanks!

Cake Attack posted:

(Also, did you draw that waiter portrait yourself? I like it :kimchi:)

Yes I did. I totally did not GIS "waiter" and picked a funny-looking picture to crop.

No sir.

Nope.

...Why y'all looking at me like that?

Glazius posted:

Is it just me or does anybody else want to know more about Winter's mom than whatever's going on on this planet?

That's gonna be in the upcoming episode 2, which will take place on Winter's system. And I think you may change your mind after the next update...
Speaking of which, I have a correction to make. Different dimensions are called 'Planes'. The planets within these Planes are called 'Systems'.

Next update's gonna come tomorrow or after tomorrow.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Update 3

Music: Looking In

Now, then what were we doing last time?

Ah yes.

(He vaguely reminds me of a father I knew that was not mine, but a classmate's. I open my mouth, and mentally say "hello", but the order is again not actually processed, so I just hang my jaw and stare.)

(He notices.)

Hello there, Miss.

Ha...Hello.

(It is all I can do to say this. I fail to keep his attention, and his eyes return to the television above the bar. Television...That's right: they have that here. It seems to be a sports channel that he is watching-not that I know which.)

(I only know it is sport as there is a ball, there are people, and both are on a field. Ah...it seems to involve only sculpted men. A particularly intimate sport...Wait, I'm over-thinking it. Though I do believe that most sports have a peculiar and exciting kind of subtext. This one, I think, I could particularly like to watch...)

You're a little young to be in here, aren't you?

poo poo we're caught! Quickly Winter, BS your way out of this one!

I am here with my da-...uncle.

(My dad would never bring me here.)

My dauncl...My uncle is here and brought me here while he's on break.

Not bad Winter. Good job!

(Right, mention work.)

Where is he?

(I point to Cyrus, who is now talking amiably with the other man in the corner. Goodness, such fast friends.)

He is the younger, ornery-looking person.

(The old man smiles, and I smile as though I've made a joke.)

Interesting word choice, girl.

I read books.

That so?

It is so. Very much so: I read a lot.

Hmm.

Is he celebrating the good news?

(Errr, Maybe? Was there some news...? Ah...)

Do you mean the minimum wage increase, sir?

Yes! Great news, isn't it?

(He grins. I mirror him.)

It is. I'm glad.

You working yet?

(This...Uhm, yes: it is work that I am doing-granted unpaid. I am learning.)

No, not yet, and my name is Winter.

(That should have been two sentences.)

Ever the stickler, aren't you, Winter?

Hi David! :)

(I've stopped speaking. I don't know why. It's almost as though anything I say won't make any sense, so I've shut up. He does not speak either. The quietness is getting to me...isn't there something I can say? Anything? What can I say? No...I'm lost.)

(This is a terrible feeling, like I'm drowning in air. Think, think! There must be something! What...!)

You okay?

Huh?

(Oh no...I'm panicking. He could tell. That's bad. Is this because of the alcohol? It must be the alcohol.)

I'm, uh, yeah.

I'd accuse Winter of being a goon, but given her circumstances, I can see why she's tongue-tied.

(Speak!)

So do-What do you do? L-Like for work, I mean?

...poo poo.

That is amazing.

Ha, 'amazing'. No, no; when you get older you'll have to run multiple jobs, too. Just about the only way to survive these days...

The saddest part is how non-nonchalantly he says this. This is what the middle class of this place looks like. You don't wanna starve? Work yourself to the bone.
This is natural for them. Poor David :smith:

How about you? What do you do?

(Oh, crap! What do I do!? Oh, why didn't I think of something first? Stupid, stupid, stupid. I shut my eyes for a second and give a quick shake of my head. Uh, uhmmm...what do I dooooo...)

(Well, I guess I can technically be considered a...)

I'm... consoler.

Yes that is how it's written in the game. It's intentional, cause Winter's just making things up.

A counselor?

Y-Yes.

Huh.

(Please let that be an acceptable job.)

Doesn't seem like something that'd suit you. No offense, or anything.

If you're not listening to the music right now, I highly recommend you turn it on. The track goes quite well with this next section.

(He gives me a somber nod of recognition.)

Yeah. You gotta take what you're given.

Yes.

(I suddenly feel miserable, and decide to lean onto the counter.)

(That's right. I didn't really choose this. I didn't really choose anything.)

(As Decisions came around, I just sat on my hands thinking...I don't know, thinking that something would come to me. In a sense, I suppose that something did, but it wasn't in the usual way. Everyone else knew what they wanted to do after secondary school, and I was stuck on the path of a freeter.)

(A freeter. A step away from a leech, ugh...I couldn't pick a specialty school. I didn't know what I wanted.)

(...I guess I was just happy that something had been found for me...and the system always knows best. I mean, it's not as though I dislike it. I find the classwork and homework more than bearable, and my first shadowing went okay enough.)

(But is this what I am? Is this what I am meant to do?)

(Even if everything about it is totally weird...)

(...Cacol, what's my issue? This is better than what would have happened. When did I start caring so much about direction? Wait, what am I thinking? I'm supposed to care about that! Still, why should I? How should I know the way to forge my life's path when I'm just fourteen!? I don't even know what I'll be like in eight years! I shouldn't have to care about this now!)

(No, this is really messed up. I'm so messed up...)

Hey, hey, don't get like that...I'm sorry I brought it up. Can I get you something to drink?

Know what, David? You're okay :unsmith:

(Seeing him, I remember again: I'm in another world. As if I didn't have enough worries back home, now I have a whole new world to worry about here...Another world which I had never heard of, but I'm supposed to believe is real? Just because things are right here in front of my eyes?)

(So much strange stuff has happened to me that maybe I could just be dreaming. Is this man even real? Is he really there? Maybe he isn't, I've read that there are illusions. Would I prefer an illusion? Would I prefer this to be a dream? Maybe some sort of virtual reality...This whole idea is so ridiculous.)

Point of interest: Dischan's next game, Cradle Song, deals with virtual reality. It seems to be about choosing between living in a false paradise, or embracing the horrible reality.

(No, it...it would also be dangerous.)

Attagirl, Winter.

(I force the darker notions aside. Steady the course. I draw my head back into the nest of my arms, hair curling over fingers...)

(And I bring myself up, countenance solemn.)

countenance (/ˈkountn-əns/)
1.a person's face or facial expression.
2.support.

No, I think I've had enough.

Suit yourself.

Music: Soft Engagement

(I look at David. Alright, what's next again? Need to figure out the root of the problem...It usually has something to do with the troubles of the people, right? I'll just be forward then.)

Has anything been troubling you lately?

Nothing more than usual, I suppose. I'm just here to commemorate the occasion. That wage hike takes a major load off, though it's really too bad that we're still under Gabrea's boot.

Y'know, I bet they let the bill pass just to avoid revolt. They don't give a poo poo about us.

The camera pans from Brighton (the red country) to Gabrea (the turquoise country). You can certainly see the difference between the two.

(I think that Brighton shouldn't be a, um...a "colony" of theirs anymore. It was labeled as independent in the dossier.)

(I need to know more...How might I ask properly...? Hmmmmmmm...Ah!)

What about the, uhm, President? He seems to be working for us?

He does, right? It doesn't matter.

He's just a figurehead: he can't do anything without Gabrea's approval.

Oh? Fehrdia? What's this now?

Hell, it took six months before they let him train a single soldier.

I'll give 'em some credit, though: they quit crying about it and've been funding us rightly ever since. Probably realized that if Fehrdia took us over then they'd lose their workhorse.

Um, Fehrdia is...

Does everyone see the green shaded part? That's Fehrdia.
Everyone see that this continent is basically Fehrdia's territory? Except for that one part in the west? Well that part is Brighton.
Our Codex will later mention that Fehrdia is an extremely aggressive nation, initiating 251 goddamn wars and participating in 253. They have not however tried to expand past the borders of their continent, despite having an advanced army and navy.
Brighton, is uhh...kinda within their continent's borders, aren't they?

(What was it I read about them last night?)

...Don't we have a truce with them or something? It has been around for a while.

Yeah, but it's hardly there. Fehrdia's never been too afraid to stir up a war or two over some real estate. Or over some insult to their forefathers. Whatever excuse. Our truce with them is just a piece of paper. If they wanted to, they'd take us down in a heartbeat.

Or they would have, at least, until we got an army to secure the border. Never know, though.

(Wow, this guy talks a lot. It's wonderful: I hardly have to say a word.)

(Or, at least, I would if he didn't seem to want me to respond right now. I put on a bit of an angry expression for a second, but then reconsider: Maybe a sad expression would be better? What's my character, anyway? Am I being myself, here? Wait, wait, no: none of that matters-just answer!)

That's terrible.

Smooth, Winter.

(Okay, I need another question. Maybe I should let some of my ignorance show...)

Why is it like this, anyway?

You don't know?

Hell, I'm not surprised. They practically skip over that in schools-give it a paragraph, maybe.

I mean they weren't always crazy: back then minimum wage could feed you and more. The sanctions haven't changed, though: haven't adjusted with the dollar's value and cost of living.

Hmmm. I wonder how bad that is. I mean in the US, 60 years ago 500 dollars could allow you to live very well, nowadays that wouldn't be enough to pay for rent in a decent studio apartment.
These poor bastards had unchanging sanctions for 120 years.
Well, Sule years, not Earth years, but still.

We screwed up. Got lulled into this false sense of liberty. Got so caught up in the things we could do, we forgot what we can't. Thanks to inflation, these sanctions are making us so poor that they're killing us. I mean literally killing us.

Not a great thing to bring up when there's somethin' to celebrate, but...I don't even think they're tracking just how many have died trying to live. I know I've definitely lost count.

(Then...is this the root? I mean, it sure does suck that these people are "poor"! Really!)

You know Winter, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were a classic case of conservative FYGM.
It's a good thing these are your internal thoughts. I'd be pretty pissed hearing something like this.
That's how much of a utopia her world is: people are at least middle class (by our standards). If not better. Poverty is non-existent. "Poor" is not having enough for a snack (A previous idea for a title). Kinda makes you wonder what "rich" would be.

(Another thing is that this is not even a major society of the world! That being the case, how come we're dealing with it at all?)

(And Cyrus! Cyrus. What is he thinking dragging me here? He probably only wanted a drink. What can I learn about the whole world from just one person? Not much! Augh, this is stupid! Stupid! Ugh. It must be something else.)

If it's so terrible here, I wonder how it is in Gabrea.

Complete luxury: they live like kings. Even their bums live better than us.

(Whoah, that is filthy-A filthy thing to say.)

It's a drat miracle any of them work at all, with how much they get for free.

They get fired? The state takes care of it. They're hurt? The state covers it. No job to start with? The state. The state will go to the goddamn moons for its precious Gabreans.

(I wince and raise my shoulders a little.)

Oh, sorry.

It's okay.

I still can't get over that Sule apparently has several moons, and they're used in similar phrasing.

(I don't really take any offense to swear words or rude language, but my dad was never terribly fond of them, and I have grown unused to their bite. The harsher ones, anyway. It's a bit shocking to hear one in that tone...)

(I decide to look back at the television, feeling embarrassed on David's behalf for reasons beyond my immediate comprehension. It airs the same sport for four seconds before cutting out. When the picture returns, a twisty and intricate crest (a duck flying over a sword and pickaxe, looks like) appears on the screen, set against a noble blue. Could this be a team logo? An address to the audience from the Coach and Captain? Ooh, I want to see...)

(I lean back a few feet from the counter until I am supporting myself only slightly with my fingers and mostly with the stool's two hind legs. Hmmmmmmm...Honestly, the warmth of the beer has not completely dissipated.)

Well let's ask David about what's up on this system's ESPN.

David, what's that?

George, turn it up!

(The person who was wiping the glasses behind the counter raises his eyebrows slightly, and then reaches listlessly for the remote. When it is in his hands, he turns, and gives the television a tired glance. The crest on the screen wakes him up immediately, and he is soon mashing the volume up.)

(I hear David shifting at my right, and it sounds as though he is turning in the direction of Cyrus and the other man.

Clark! Get over here!

(Oh, so that is the man's name: "Clark". Clark and Cyrus look at David strangely, and then strangely look at one another, and then they begin to rush over. I find their antics confusing and unwarranted: What is the big deal over this?)

(Oh.)

The message will begin in forty seconds. This is the emergency broadcast system. This is not a test. Please pay close attention to the following message.

The message will play in thirty seconds.

(Goodness, this is it, isn't it? "It". The "thing". The problem. Oh no. No. I'm not ready for this! Cleaning up garbage is one thing, but this is completely another thing-and I don't even know what, exactly!)

The message will begin in ten seconds.

(Crap.)

The message will now play.

Music: Whisper

(As for the man himself...He looks older than Cyrus, which is ancient at worst and aged sixty at least. He looks very tired.)

(His face is worn, and his expression does nothing for the mood. He does have some fake-looking hair, though. That's pretty funny.)

(I almost have a small chuckle, but given the severe expressions of my company I decide it would be best to stifle it.)

As a people, as a country, as a workforce, we have endured these past one hundred and twenty years.

Surely: surely, you all are very, very tired. I, my people - my friends, am very, very tired.

(The word "sobering" meant little to me before this, but I completely understand it at this moment. The way this man carries himself, his speech and his dour voice have all combined to chill the warmth from my head.)

(I set my stool back down and have an actual seat, looking up at the monitor with certain intensity. This man has me engaged.)

I'm tired of the media, portraying our common the fool: an ignorant sort all too glad to do the deeds of his betters.

Tired of these foreign companies, providing us work and wages that we will celebrate for only pennies more.

Tired of hearing my people say in passing and in normalcy, 'no, I do not know if we will eat today...perhaps tomorrow.

People of Brighton, we have grown so used to freedom we've forgotten that we are not free. This chair and this desk - this stage of an office on which I...play my part, is evidence of that.

(I offer a serious and composed look at Cyrus. If I'm understanding correctly...and I can't say I'm one for understanding much of anything on this world...it seems this leader here is not as much of a leader as he might like.)

(Which, frankly, I don't get...The way leadership works back home, at least on the large scale, is that several especially intelligent and reasonable people rule over all of us. The idea of power being not enough, or being feigned, seems complicated to me. Like, what's the point? Why the show?)

(I'd like to ask Cyrus about it, but he isn't returning my gaze, and instead remains focused on the television. I suppose I'll just have to keep listening.)

But I am not here to tell you the troubles of our state.

I am not here to tell you the glory of our fathers.

I am here to confirm the quiet whispers through the allies and the worried murmurs of the Gabrean elite.

(Pardon?)

No Winter. No it's not.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 14, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

"My first demand: Could you guys lend us a nuke? Please?"

And here's where the game starts to get interesting.

Alternatively: "Could we get a new crest? Seriously, ours is a duck. A loving duck."

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 6, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You've got some messed up italics tags at the very end (one extra at the start of each line).

Also, Winter's utopia seems a little more questionable all the time, what with being ruled by a literal Oligarchy and all.

(Fun fact: A fairly influential book called "Oligarchy" was written by a guy named Jeffrey A. Winters, which I thought was a neat coincidence.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's one hell of a first day on the job. "Prevent global thermonuclear war. You have four hours."

Sounds like one of those impossible final exam jokes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The description of beer/being tipsy sounds like the way someone who has never actually had alcohol would describe it.

I wonder how the political views of the author might factor into the plot of this game. It looks like whatever "solution" Cyrus/Winter come up with would have to have some political implications.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Not gonna spoil anything, but I think the author does a pretty good job w/r/t that. Though we're not far enough in to the series (or the game at this point) to make any serious judgements on the author's style.

Anyways, we're almost to the next page and it's probably a good idea to push it over before the next update.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I've been watching this thread with morbid curiousity. Between Winter coming off as a rather unsympathetic character, Cyrus being a god-drat enigma, and their world sounding like some sort of post-scarcity socialist oligarchy, I'm getting rather fascinated. I've got so many drat questions about this games setting and I've got a feeling I'm not going to get nearly the answers I want.

Like, for example, why would this society ever want to put a group of people together to go to other worlds, experience other cultures, ways of living, ideas, etc when it carries the insane risk of having that group say "Yeah, we think things would be much better this way" and come back to smash said society to pieces? The only answer I can come up with is that, like any threat that cannot be dealt with by the society as it stands, there is something out there that *must* be confronted by those who live and work outside of that society.

So midway through that emergency broadcast I was ready to post about how it was neat to see their President throw off his figurehead yoke and "nut up" a bit for his people- and then suddenly he was Kim Jong Il. Sigh.

Wanna get mad about that "Conservative FYGM mindset" comment, when it's pretty clear she just has no touchpoint for her to use to understand a society where everything isn't at her fingertips, but ugh.

Edit: Fixed some typos.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 8, 2013

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

RickVoid posted:

Like, for example, why would this society ever want to put a group of people together to go to other worlds, experience other cultures, ways of living, ideas, etc when it carries the isane risk of having that group say "Yeah, we think things would be much better this way" and come back to smash said society to pieces? The only answer I can come up with is that, like any society that cannot be dealt with by the society as it stands, there is something out there that *must* be confronted by those who live and work outside of that society.

It's only really a threat to a society that's crappy and inflexible (i.e. a dictatorship). Then someone's going to travel to the Culture, realize that they're awesome, and convince all of their friends that these other guys have it all figured out and maybe we should do things a bit differently here. If you can fix things up through elections and persuasion and general social pull, then awesome. If not, it's revolution time. Of course in the real world dictatorships are pretty good at solving this through a combination of travel restrictions, massive propaganda, and general repression. Think North Korea.

On the other hand, even if you don't have interdimensional jaunts, there's always somebody who thinks that what we really around here is more martial valor and survival-of-the-fittest and less coddling from womb to tomb. Pretty hard for them to just smash things to pieces if they can't find a sympathetic ear.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Hermetian posted:

It's only really a threat to a society that's crappy and inflexible (i.e. a dictatorship). Then someone's going to travel to the Culture, realize that they're awesome, and convince all of their friends that these other guys have it all figured out and maybe we should do things a bit differently here. If you can fix things up through elections and persuasion and general social pull, then awesome. If not, it's revolution time. Of course in the real world dictatorships are pretty good at solving this through a combination of travel restrictions, massive propaganda, and general repression. Think North Korea.

On the other hand, even if you don't have interdimensional jaunts, there's always somebody who thinks that what we really around here is more martial valor and survival-of-the-fittest and less coddling from womb to tomb. Pretty hard for them to just smash things to pieces if they can't find a sympathetic ear.

So you're suggesting that they're identifying elements most likely cause them issues in the first place, and putting them in situations where they are likely to either excel at being who they are (which they wouldn't have the opportunity to do otherwise) performing a service to their people in a way that has yet to be explained; or get themselves killed, which weeds out otherwise rogue elements.

I guess we'll get to see if this "These guys are basically inter-dimensional commandos" theory ends up holding water.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

RickVoid posted:

So you're suggesting that they're identifying elements most likely cause them issues in the first place, and putting them in situations where they are likely to either excel at being who they are (which they wouldn't have the opportunity to do otherwise) performing a service to their people in a way that has yet to be explained; or get themselves killed, which weeds out otherwise rogue elements.

I guess we'll get to see if this "These guys are basically inter-dimensional commandos" theory ends up holding water.

In Cyrus's case, maybe. Winter on the other hand is about as much of a non-threat as it gets. She's joined the trans-dimensional equivalent of the Peace Corps or Teach for America.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

RickVoid posted:

So midway through that emergency broadcast I was ready to post about how it was neat to see their President throw off his figurehead yoke and "nut up" a bit for his people- and then suddenly he was Kim Jong Il. Sigh.

It's not him becoming Kim Jong Il, it's a sign of desperation. The results of his political efforts granted the Brightons an increase in minimum wage. This meager increase shows just how little Gabria thinks of them. Barnaby is simply tired of having his country used by another, and being powerless to do anything about it.

RickVoid posted:

Wanna get mad about that "Conservative FYGM mindset" comment, when it's pretty clear she just has no touchpoint for her to use to understand a society where everything isn't at her fingertips, but ugh.

Like I said, "...if I didn't know better...". I do. She has this mentality because of her world and upbringing.
And even if you know this, you still think Winter is unsympathetic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

It's not him becoming Kim Jong Il, it's a sign of desperation. The results of his political efforts granted the Brightons an increase in minimum wage. This meager increase shows just how little Gabria thinks of them. Barnaby is simply tired of having his country used by another, and being powerless to do anything about it.

Okay. Kim Jong wasn't a great example. Couldn't think of another example of a leader waving nukes around in order to get what he wants. This guy at least seems to care for his people, which is probably more than can be said for the vast majority of our own leaders. Still, waving a nuclear weapon around in an attempt to get people to take you seriously really only works in getting them to view you as a threat that needs to be pushed into the sea.

So... not expecting this to end well.

SSNeoman posted:

Like I said, "...if I didn't know better...". I do. She has this mentality because of her world and upbringing.
And even if you know this, you still think Winter is unsympathetic?

Again, poor word choice. Maybe Goony would be better. Outside of the whole "I live in an oligarchy that controls every aspect of my life" she acts like she's never been out of her mothers basement and interacted with another thinking human being. It could also just be the rambling internal monologue turning me off. I dunno.

• Locked thread