Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, I somehow think Winter's in for several rude shocks. Still, if you have a utopia where you come from, how can you properly train people to uplift dystopias? This is a common theme where a utopian comes to a dystopian world in sci-fi, and usually, the utopian only ends up making things worse. It'll be interesting to see how Winter (obviously sheltered by her society) deals with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Update 4

Music: Whisper

Last time...

...we found the cause of the chaos in this System. Impending nuclear war.

(I rise and step over to my mentor, feeling surprisingly clear-headed and befuddled all at once.)

(He takes me from the counter, leaving the three gentlemen to discuss whatever it is exactly that the man on the television just brought up.)

Music: *NONE*

Ah...

I know we've only just arrived, but did you look at the files you were given at all?

I did!

Have you been paying any attention to anything out here?

I-I have!

You have!? You have!? Then explain who that man is. Explain anything!

Goddamn Cyrus take it easy! She's just a kid! No need to take your frustration out on her!

A-Ah...

(Don't put me on the spot like that!)

The l-leader of Brighton, sir! President Barnaby! H-He's angry about Gabrea - I'm not an idiot...

(Gracious, why can't I articulate or explain it any better!?)

I-I just want to c-clarify some things, because I'm shadowing you...

...Sorry, I reacted out of impulse. I forgot how unprepared life in our world can leave us for these things.

I, um...

(His tone shook me up quite a bit, I'm shivering a little. I was going to lie and say "I understand", but I'm having a lot of trouble speaking right now.)

(I want to go home...)

(I know that.)

Hey! Eyes straight, Harrison!

Winter gets into her upset portrait here.

Allow me to be frank.

I'm shocked, honestly...I figured those rumors I heard from Clark were only that.

(Hold it, hold it-death!? I just thought-)

As far as we knew, this world hadn't even developed nuclear weapons yet.

(Wh-What did I think-? He said "weapon", am I daft!?)

Yeah slow down there Cyrus. She doesn't quite grasp the concepts of death and war, let alone nuclear war.

Though with their strides in utilizing nuclear fusion for electricity, I suppose it was only a matter of time.

(People are going to die!? I don't-it's people dying-! Just slow it down for a second...)

I suppose that's what comes with our job. Not everything can be in a dossiers, right? We smooth out the creases and bring chaos to order.

'Nuclear attack' is one hell of a crease, Cyrus.

(Slow it down, calm down, calm down, calm down...)

Though sudden wars really are rare.

(My mind starts to tumble, and my heart tries to explode from my chest. I definitely can't handle this.)

W-war isn't something I'm supposed to take care of!

Shut up! Don't excite the locals!

(I cover my mouth and raise my shoulders.)

Of course they're looking for a war! You can't believe people dying is just a commonality. Do you even think properly!?

(I'm finding it incredibly hard to do anything properly, right now. Shaking, I turn to see the people at the counter. They thankfully are still engrossed in the President's speech. I look back at Cyrus and speak softly through my fingers.)

Shouldn't I go home?

Yeah.

(Oh...)

This was supposed to be something like diplomacy. Goes to show you how important it is to get a look at the situation yourself...

Anyway, if what I heard was right, we don't have time to get you out of here without causing a scene.

Y-Yes.

(I don't know if I want to do that anymore, though, if he is talking about maybe dying.)

...Of course, we don't have a lot of time in general. His demands I couldn't care less about, but this deadline...

4 hours.

Consider this a powerful lesson and come with me.

Bye, David :(

Music: Analysis

Wh-What level is the war, do you think?

You mean, what level do I think it'll be: it hasn't happened. With any luck, it won't.

('Luck'? Ehm...)

I'm thinking this could be something like a four on the scale.

Four!? Four...Ahhh...

(Oh gracious, four is one away from five, and two from six, which is terrible. Six is very, very terrible: the worst.)

(Even four, though: a war without rules...Ugh, that must be particularly gross. It is a very disturbing prospect: so disturbing that I grab my hair and almost shut my eyes.)

What exactly is this? What will happen?

Test: what do you think?

I-Is this really the time for tests?

Be appreciative that I'm even doing this work, Winter.

(He seems so much more angry than before; how irksome. What do I think? What could it be...)

Well, uh, first of all: Gabrea will respond to Brighton's threat.

Possibly.

Possibly!? Why wouldn't they!?

I, er...don't...get it?

Just think, Winter.

(Oh, okay! "Just think"! Wonderful advice you-...argh!)

Well, maybe they just don't care at all about Brighton, and they'll use this tantrum as an excuse to destroy them!

That's-

Nonsensical! I know! Keep pointing out how I'm like a fish attempting to walk!

That's right, Winter. You're right about why they wouldn't respond.

What!? How...absurd!

Isn't Gabrea a leech on Brighton's back? They need Brighton, so why would they want to destroy it?

Well, they wouldn't actually destroy Brighton. What they would do is invade and take away what little freedom and independence this country still clings too. Then they would be able to take advantage of the citizens in ways unprecedented.

(What a disgusting though. I can hardly even imagine it.)

(drat it, Cyrus!)

How should I know!?

The same way you knew the first answer.

I was bullshitting!

Language.

Sorry, sir.

Thinking about recent events might help.

(Goodness...is he asking me to think in the place of murderers? Those are boots I would not like to fill. I guess that I have to, though...)

(He mentioned recent events? I can't think that the minimum wage increase would embolden this country enough to believe they could stand against an obviously superior nation. Especially with how unimpressed the President seemed to be about it. Even David wasn't terribly excited-oh, David! What was it that David mentioned...?)

I love Cyrus' expression here. Look at how proud he is of her :3:

He said it was because Fehrdia is dangerous, and ignores treaties, but isn't it far more likely that this army was actually created to engage with Gabrea? With an actual military, and what seems to be a new kind of weapon-at least judging from how the locals reacted-then that would explain their confidence...

...I think.

See Winter? You are cut out for this.

Heh.

(Wait, don't reference things I mumbled to myself before we came here. Creep.)

Then you understand the situation?

Yes, but I'm curious...isn't this more like a level five war?

As Brighton and Gabrea are technically separate, I can't call what might happen a civil war.

Okay, 1) Yes Cyrus, this does in fact count as a civil war and 2) Civil War was level 5? What was level 4? I assume we're dealing with a scale, instead of categories. And it seems to ascend in danger, with 1 being the lowest and 6 being the highest. There are many types of wars more dangerous than civil wars. So I don't get this line.

Then it's a technicality? Just a technicality? I'd figured Brighton and Gabrea were still very close.

Well look at you. You're all calm.

(I frown with indignation.)

I'm not at all calm if this is essentially a level five war.

Well, you look it..

(I do not let up my frown.)

Well, that isn't all there is. How this might proceed largely has to do with what level I would give this potential war.

(It took me the entire time 'til now to realize that the streets are deserted; the doorways are even clear of those ragged children who would ask us for "pennies".)

Something tells me that pennies on Sule aren't worth a whole lot more than they are here on Earth...

(Could it be that everyone is listening to the address? Before I can drift off on this thought, Cyrus looks down at me.)

(Um.)

Ex...cuse me...?

Honestly, Winter, what did you think I'd meant earlier when I said 'a lot of dying' could be expected?

I won't go into the details, but it's not something you would have been taught about, yet. I've dealt with it before, though: you're lucky.

(I am not lucky at all. Not even in the littlest slightest)

What kind of thing is that? Is it magic?

This isn't a magical world, Winter. Thank the higher-ups you won't be going to those just yet: they're less fun than they sound.

I should not be going to worlds with wars, either.

Hmph, point.

You can check your Codex for information about what we'll be dealing with, if you'd like.

I need to contact support and update them anyway, so at the least it will give you something to do while you wait.

What is it called, exactly? Just 'nuclear weapon' seems rather broad. Like 'spear weapon' or 'fruit drink'

I believe that it's a fusion bomb. While Barnaby didn't specify, the rumor I heard supports it. Also, it makes sense, considering their reactors.

'Reactors'...?

You forgot? We saw them when we first arrived. This country utilizes fusion reactors for power.

(Ah, right: the looming and shadowy giants that stand on the distant steppes. I remember not wanting to remember them. They were disconcerting. Like many other things here, they looked like a mess, and like many other things here, they vibrated. I thought they were going to violently break apart.)

Not pure?

Well, it's a limited reaction jump started by fission. True fusion bombs are rather like man-made stars.

Stars are beautiful.

When they're light years away, sure.

Not the word I'd use for those. Just keep the distinction in mind, and read that 'fusion bomb' entry.

Right, right...Understood...

(I mumble this as Cyrus turns from me and begins raising his wrist to his mouth. He suddenly pauses, though, and addresses me again.)

Hmmm...Foreshadowing and advice for later episodes perhaps? I can tell you right now that the Codex pretty much never comes up after this part.
If it is, I hope they don't go overboard with it. I'd hate to piece together plot from various files only to find out that "Etro did it"
...Yes, I am bitter about my Day 1 purchase of FFXIII. Why do you ask?

Understood, sir!

(We have to regularly hide them from view, as we are advised that they are considered suspicious-looking things, usually.)

Hey, it's Cyrus. You guys probably noticed there's trouble at this world.

Yes, 'more trouble'-cut the cutesy crap, this isn't the time: I'm actually-

(Oh? He's actually what, exactly?)

(I look at him.)

(That is worrisome.)

(I look back at my wrist device: my ICD.)

(Honestly, if there is anything magical I have encountered so far as a student mediator, it is most definitely the ICD. Science magic or some such. It basically does everything. It is how we get to other worlds and teleport around them, and it can open up a tiny "pocket dimension" for holding things: an inventory, it's called. I think it's pretty cool.)

(And it came from my own world! I would never have imagined. Right now I need to access the Codex...)

(I focus on this thought ("open the codex") and the device recognizes the command, as it is linked with my mind, which is awesome. A tiny holographic screen emits from the device in a rather inconspicuous fashion, yet still in an acceptably readable size. I begin to navigate the database, searching for...well, let's see: "Sule", "Brighton", "Gabrea"...and "Fehrdia too, I suppose. I think I'll leave "Fusion Bomb" for last.)

Afterwards, our Codex screen automatically comes up. I'm going to TIMG the entries, as compressing the text makes it too fuzzy to read. I think I'll leave you guys with these entries, and we'll continue next time.

Codex

Illustrations

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 22, 2013

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Man, so much to comment on this time.

Winter critically thinking her way through this was awesome to see. There is a brain in there, buried under all the mush. And the fact that she was able to work her way through it, despite being completely unfamiliar with any of these concepts, is giving me a lot of credence towards my theorys about who the mediators are and what qualities they look for in them.

The fusion thing is really weird. They have fusion reactors, but they only recently developed an atomic weapon? What? We had fission bombs long before the first working nuclear reactor, and having that progress in the opposite direction is really... weird. Like, nobody thought about using that reaction as a weapon until they had fusion power? I also kind of feel like I should be a little ashamed that this bothers me. "They took an amazing tech like nuclear power, and didn't immeadiately start killing each other with it? How very odd."

I find the scale they mention interesting. As a note, Cyrus is actually correct, as both countries are seperate entities, rather than one country going to war with itself. My question is, why does a conflict like this count as a four when an internal conflict counts as a five? Maybe it's a CHAOSoMETER(tm), and civil wars are considered to be more chaotic? More questions for the pile.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

RickVoid posted:

The fusion thing is really weird. They have fusion reactors, but they only recently developed an atomic weapon? What? We had fission bombs long before the first working nuclear reactor, and having that progress in the opposite direction is really... weird. Like, nobody thought about using that reaction as a weapon until they had fusion power? I also kind of feel like I should be a little ashamed that this bothers me. "They took an amazing tech like nuclear power, and didn't immeadiately start killing each other with it? How very odd."

Yeah this part bothered me too. Not because it's the opposite of what we did. In real life using fission for power is actually easier than using it for bombs, just because the Uranium for bombs has to be so heavily enriched, and that process is actually rather difficult. The enrichment amount for the Uranium in power plants is only about ~5% enriched, (and you can get away with less, this is just the US standard) while bombs need more like ~30%.

No the reason this scene bugs me is that this supposedly poor country is using Fusion reactors. We don't even have those yet! And using fusion for a bomb is about 1000 times easier than trying to use it to make usable power. Why do you think we've had Fusion bombs since early in the cold war, but we still haven't been able to develop a Fusion power plant?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

judgementbringer posted:

Yeah this part bothered me too. Not because it's the opposite of what we did. In real life using fission for power is actually easier than using it for bombs, just because the Uranium for bombs has to be so heavily enriched, and that process is actually rather difficult. The enrichment amount for the Uranium in power plants is only about ~5% enriched, (and you can get away with less, this is just the US standard) while bombs need more like ~30%.

No the reason this scene bugs me is that this supposedly poor country is using Fusion reactors. We don't even have those yet! And using fusion for a bomb is about 1000 times easier than trying to use it to make usable power. Why do you think we've had Fusion bombs since early in the cold war, but we still haven't been able to develop a Fusion power plant?

They did at least make the effort to point out that they may be fusion reactors, but they are pants-making GBS threads terrifying cruddy fusion reactors that are barely holding together. Maybe the tech is on lease, and they were given a really lovely version?

I just remembered another thing I wanted to bring up: She has a Pip-Boy! Essentially. That doubles as a Bag of Holding. Every update makes me love this setting a little more.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Man, it's a good thing Winter didn't order a fish and chips at the bar before reading the codex!

Winter's commentary on the ICD was also pretty great. Fancy and awesome indeed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do wonder why they're so confident. Aren't anti-missile defenses perfectly capable of taking out nuclear weapons too? Similarly with anti-aircraft defenses and bombers. Even if the nuke itself is an amazing accomplishment, they still have to get it there somehow.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

I do wonder why they're so confident. Aren't anti-missile defenses perfectly capable of taking out nuclear weapons too? Similarly with anti-aircraft defenses and bombers. Even if the nuke itself is an amazing accomplishment, they still have to get it there somehow.

Anti-missile defense is really hard to do well. Imagine trying to hit a thrown dart with another dart, while the first dart just needs to hit within a couple meters of the dartboard. Also the first dart can split into multiple darts and shoot flares at you.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Hermetian posted:

Anti-missile defense is really hard to do well. Imagine trying to hit a thrown dart with another dart, while the first dart just needs to hit within a couple meters of the dartboard. Also the first dart can split into multiple darts and shoot flares at you.

Yeah, if shooting down an ICBM was easy then nukes wouldn't still make us poo poo our pants in fear like they do. People get genuinely scared of North Korea's nuclear program, even though it's basically held together with duct-tape and has a 1% chance of ever getting a nuke to its destination.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Update 5

Last time...

...Let's move on...

(Most unfortunately, my smile is very, very temporary. As it turns out, the fusion bomb is incredibly horrible.)

Music: Ripple

(It is a weapon that will detonate and destroy everything in a very large radius with disturbing rapidity.)

(In its wake is a kind of miasma so powerful that it sticks to a place for several decades before dissipating. It causes sickness to those who did not die and greatly increases the chances of cancer and mutations in the children of survivors.)

(This is not even something you would read about in story books. This is not a thing one can imagine.)

I honestly had a similar thought when I first heard of nuclear weapons. I thought the person telling me this story was making it up. Why would people use such a destructive weapon, especially one that makes an area uninhabitable for decades to come?

(Why would you kill somebody else? Why would you kill hundreds, thousands, millions-and what's more, with such effects? What does that accomplish? They said I would not understand for a long time: that it would be covered later on in my schooling, and that until then I would not be allowed to mediate wars.)

(I need to understand this now, though! It may go down in a matter of hours! What will happen if I remain in this foolish ignorance of mine!?)

(My heart thumps and my stomach twists. I put my hand over my mouth and squeeze my eyes shut. I am not the type to freak out, but I'm freaking out a lot today.)

Winter-!

(Ah...)

(I close my Codex and look at Cyrus who has placed his hands on my shoulders. The gesture does not help. For some reason, it makes me feel worse. My hear tightens, and tears escape from my eyelids. I feel the same feeling that comes when I imagine how it would be if my dad were to die, only the feeling is much more distorted and disgusting.)

(I answer Cyrus with a warbling voice as my emotions are in tatters.)

I-I...I'm sorry sir, but I don't understand. I'm sorry I'm stupid...

Winter, come on, hey, you aren't stupid: You're a smart girl.

I am. I am! I'm incredibly stupid, you know it.

You're-You're just a bit hard-headed, it's okay! You're young, Winter, and you're strong, too. You're strong, Winter.

I just don't get it, I'm sorry...

(I raise my head and look at his face. Through my tears, I can see that Cyrus's cheeks are more flushed than my own.)

I'll make sure of it.

...But only if you shape up.

I'm terrified.

I know.

Okay...

Let's finish this up, alright?

(I push away from him, and wipe my eyes and cheeks. I feel as though this is too much for me to take. It is hard to have faith in Cyrus. The further I go down the path of a mediator, the harder it is to have faith in anything.)

(Still...If I feel this is so wrong, then I simply ought to stop it, right? I should stop all this from happening: I should stop this war, plainly and simply. I steel myself and stare directly into Cyrus' eyes, sure to convey my conviction.)

GAME FACE WINTER!

Y-Yes?

I am confident that we will succeed here, too. I'll also make sure that we will not fail!

Hmph...

That mindset is good, Winter. Hold onto it: it's easy to lose.

Whoah WHAT!?

(My soul decides to flee from my chest.)

...What!?

What? That's the obvious course of action.

That...Isn't...No! No it's not! That is the least obvious thing!

Oh? Then what's the most?

Talk to him? Convince him that he shouldn't do the thing he wants to do?

Winter, we don't have the time for diplomacy.

What!? Mediation is all about diplomacy!

No, it isn't. I shouldn't even have to tell you that.

Y..You really are scum!

What!?

(I look him in the eye, nearly snarling.)

What is it, sir? You think I'm deaf? Every student knows how you 'handle things'.

That's right, people talk about you!

Everybody knows that you're murderous and cold...ugh! And don't talk to me like I'm that stupid! I remember what they said at orientation! I know that setting a balance is totally important!

I know how needed it is, but I thought we were more heroic than that, and I...and I...!

(I can't believe I felt confident because of you!)

drat, Winter. Didn't know you had it in you.

Do you even hear yourself? 'What is necessary'!? We shouldn't lower ourselves to that barbaric level!

I'm really starting to tire of your lip, Harrison.

(Agh, ehm...)

Now, listen here...

Many in Brighton do not support aggression against Gabrea, I've heard.

That's only natural: war is a terrible thing. Furthermore, while their poverty extends far, it can be argued that this situation is for the best. Barnaby does not see that though. He sees his own solution as the only solution. The people do not side with him. That is at least one issue that needs to be addressed.

They must support him. They must feel that his decision is right.

In doing so, the blame should be placed upon Gabrea, and it should be clear to the populace that they have an enemy to fight.

(What in the...What is he saying...? Was all that talk to prepare me to accept this evil? To prepare myself for these calculated deaths!?)

Y-You...You're not just asking me to support killing a man, are you? You're going to allow the nuclear bomb to be launched as well! Are you insane!? I can't sit by and allow that!

You've underestimated the plight of these people. For Barnaby, who has no real power, to wrest it for himself in such a dramatic fashion suggests that he is not willing to listen to reason. If we had longer than four hours, then it would have perhaps been possible to change his mind.

But like this? Just forget it, that nuke will be launched.

All we can do is unite these people before they go to war.

Order-!?

Does that bother you!?

Stability is paramount, Winter.

(Arrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh...!!)

So cool your head!

Think about it logically, already: being a mediator isn't a thing of emotion.

That's-

What!?

That's only your opinion and you're only one person!

Don't act as though you know anything.

Really? You don't write about it and it never happens? Your world sounds less utopian by the minute, Winter. I would expect you to have some utopian court room to sort out matters and give out appropriate judgements, after all, humans are humans.

What, you want to rebel against me again?

(I don't know! I don't know if I should, because...! You're kind of right, you...you...!)

Hmph, it doesn't look like it.

(They're so tainted by their troubles that it is doubtful I could convince their president to stop this. Killing him instead, though? Letting the nuke go off, too? Could I even forgive myself for that...?)

(Yet we probably don't have very much time...from what I've read and what I've heard, it seems that weapon can be released very, very soon.)

Winter?

(Blast! I need more information!)

Are you saying that preventing the launch and the war is impossible?

I'd mention before that, with luck, it won't be. With their president gone, and the only remaining leader being a backup, there may at least be a delay on the bomb, which would give us more time to attempt other plans.

The death of the President could also lead to Gabrea taking Brighton much more seriously, since it signals a dangerous level of civil unrest. In which case, Gabrea would probably leash this nation completely before they even had the chance to launch the nuke. Alternatively, there is also a small chance - a very small chance - That Gabrea will give in to Barnaby's demands.

What's more, once that bomb has gone off, the citizens won't be afraid for much longer.

The fusion bomb holds unprecedented power, here. Nobody understands it, not even Brighton.

And that is Cyrus' plan. A grim reminder that we're not here for diplomacy, or to save people. We're here to bring chaos to order. We're managing chaos. The rest of the details are irrelevant.
Likewise, his plan makes a good amount of sense. And its effects will certainly prevent others from using nuclear weaponry in future conflicts.
But still, is this the right choice?

(Gracious...He seems so sure of himself.)

(Would this really be for the best? Would this bring about order?)

Haaa...

And here we are. I leave this decision up to you.

Should we follow or rebel?

Choose wisely.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 14, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
That's a hell of a choice to lay on you right near the beginning of the game, I can see why it got an interesting rep!

I feel lovely for saying this, even if it is fiction, but follow orders. The objective is long term stability, and this plan sounds sensible.

I'm probably horribly wrong, and we'll probably see how horribly wrong if that's the vote that makes it, but...

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

That's a hell of a choice to lay on you right near the beginning of the game

I agree, and I think Winter can handle it on her own. Let's Rebel. After all, what's the worst that could happen...

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Are votes from people who've played this themselves acceptable, at least for this choice? Either way, I most certainly rebelled against the plan my first time through.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 14, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Probably gonna go against the majority with this one, but I'm gonna say we should follow Cyrus. He certainly brings up some good points. And hey, Winter is clearly inexperienced and has no idea what to do in situations like this. She's hotheaded and brash, while Cyrus is an experienced mediator who is capable of making smart, informed decisions. It's a bit unethical, but what do ethics matter on the brink of nuclear war? No, I'm sure following Cyrus is a fantastic idea. I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The game is so kawaiii..... better follow him so it stays that way desu~

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Let's get Lowtax subpoenaed again and Follow Cyrus.

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
Rebelling is so much more interesting. Have some agency, try something new!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Stux posted:

The game is so kawaiii..... better follow him so it stays that way desu~

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You were supposed to make an LP stux, now you'll never be able to post here.

Oh and just so I'm not entirely free of content, always pick rebel op, always.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Well, as knowledgeable of the world as Winter is, (:v:) I would have to trust the word of Cyrus over hers. Follow Cyrus.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Excuse me, Cyrus, but this game's title is Dysfunctional Systems, not Functional Systems. Rebel.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm assuming that people who've played the game are preferred to abstain, so I shall do that, remarking only that I shall complain a bit about this choice later.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fedule posted:

I'm assuming that people who've played the game are preferred to abstain, so I shall do that, remarking only that I shall complain a bit about this choice later.

I don't mind either way. It's your choice.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Our mentor here is awful quick to jump to assassination and possible terrorism, I say we Rebel.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

And that is Cyrus' plan. A grim reminder that we're not here for diplomacy, or to save people. We're here to bring chaos to order. We're managing chaos. The rest of the details are irrelevant.
Likewise, his plan makes a good amount of sense. And its effects will certainly prevent others from using nuclear weaponry in future conflicts.
But still, is this the right choice?

Honestly I thought his plan was kind of insane.

Okay, we need to assassinate the leader of Brighton.
And that'll stop the bomb?
God no, but at least the Brightonians won't argue with each other.

As you say they aren't there to save people, but escalating a conflict just doesn't fit my idea of 'managing chaos' (even if it does unite the citizens of Brighton).

Oh no, terrorists have seized control of the mall and they've got a bunch of hostages to hold off the police.
I'll just murder a few hostages. This should spur the police into action and resolve the situation.

With that in mind I vote Rebel even though it's probably a bad idea.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
I'm sure the game will punish us for this, but Cyrus seems to be a douchebag, so I say Rebel.

Will we eventually get to see the consequences of whichever choice isn't made?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Follow. I want to learn more about the system these two come from, and watching Cyrus carry out his plan seems to be a good way.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012
Rebel. I don't think that Cyrus really knows enough about the world to confidently say that his plan would work. It doesn't matter how convincing his plan sounds if it relies on faulty information.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Elite posted:

I disagree. Given their contacts (none), resources (none), time (none), escape routes (none) and global perspective (minimal) are there any better options?

Brighton is an exploited nation which is know to the masses, armed with nuclear weaponry and has an obvious source of oppression, open conflict is essentially unavoidable and all that can be arranged is the alignment of forces. A cynically arranged uniting of all of Brighton is the best route (for these mediators right now) for either successful liberation or complete annihilation of the popular idea of Brighton as an independent body. The highest elected official has thrown down the gauntlet and them getting killed by an unknown outside force after the announcement is likely to enrage anyone with a positive perspective of independence.

Follow; it's not pretty but unless something better drops in their lap then that's all they've got.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

namesake posted:

I disagree. Given their contacts (none), resources (none), time (none), escape routes (none) and global perspective (minimal) are there any better options?

Sit back and do nothing.

In this situation I think assassinating a head-of-state is more likely to escalate the coming conflict than avert it and a bigger conflict fits my understanding of chaos. Winter and Cyrus really don't have enough information about Brighton's political climate to accurately predict what will happen if they kill Brighton's leader and the fallout could huge. Well if they were they were deposing a military dictator that'd be one thing, but taking out a bureaucrat puppet leaves plenty of room for things to get worse.

"Brighton unites" is just one possible outcome to losing their President, and I'm not really convinced that's an improvement anyway.
What if multiple factions start battling for control? Which could completely splinter the country.
What if Fehrdia mobilizes when they see Brighton is leaderless? Which could lead to a Gabrea-Fehrdia war.

The assassination plan is a blind gamble - could make things worse, could make things better. So letting things just run their course could lead to a better outcome, and going with that plan has a much lower chance of getting themselves killed. Assassinating a leader with no plan, no resources, no information, no allies and no weapons... when it's a crapshoot on whether it'll help or make the problem worse just seems crazy. Especially for "Plan A".

However I accept "hide and do nothing" might not make for a great story.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I get the feeling that it doesn't matter what Winter chooses, Cyrus is still in charge and will be doing whatever he thinks is necessary. If so, the decision would basically boil down to Piss off Cyrus / Don't piss off Cyrus. That is, unless Winter somehow comes up with a better plan while rebelling. I wonder if she would.

I guess it's better to be on board. Follow, at least for now.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Be a rebel Winter!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Called it! Inter-dimensional commandos.

quote:

Really? You don't write about it and it never happens? Your world sounds less utopian by the minute, Winter. I would expect you to have some utopian court room to sort out matters and give out appropriate judgements, after all, humans are humans.

Yep. Their world is absolutely a Dystopia. I'm sure they have crime and courts and judgements and punishments, but that doesn't mean anyone hears about them. Or writes about them. Imagine Orwells 1984 society learned how to jump dimensions and I'm pretty sure we've got a good picture of the world they come from.

Follow, Winter. For now.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

namesake posted:

If Cyrus is confident that they can go and kill the president of a nation that has just declared a war (i.e. he's got reasons to be a bit paranoid right now), I'm pretty sure he has some resources we don't know about.

Elite posted:

Good to know I'm not the only one. Cyrus' plan is literally based on what a guy told him in a pub. Making projections over this is a coin toss, and the other "benefits" of this plan aren't worth much, either.

I have a cunning plan, my lord posted:

The death of the President could also lead to Gabrea taking Brighton much more seriously, since it signals a dangerous level of civil unrest.
Cyrus, they have a nuclear weapon. I thinkg Gabrea is taking them seriously enough right now.

And after the explosion Gabrea will either enslave the Brightonites completely or be so afraid that it will leave the country alone. One of the two. I have no idea which one. But any way, either we end chaos by establishing slavery again or we get to play the rebel Alliance against the evil Empire, which is cool and I get to kill even more people. :v:

Plus, having a nuclear war now will prevent another one in an undetermined point of time. Because people will die in the millions and realise how horrible it is, see? That's good.
gently caress you, Cyrus.

Rebel. We're not condoning a plan that is not actively trying to avoid a nuclear detonation.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Man, how did I miss this thread for so long? I played this when it first came out, and the music is pretty fantastic. A couple of people have already commented on it, but Cyrus is really, really static, and would probably have worked better as a character if they made him a bit more emotive.

Anyway, I rebelled the first time I played, thought it was the Winter-ish thing to do. Also, are you planning on showing off Juniper's Knot as well? Its roughly as short as Dysfunctional Systems is and is a cute little story. If anyone's interested enough, its free and I recommend checking it out.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I never played Juniper's Knot, so that's a "maybe". I am considering it though.

Anyway, seems like everyone here wants Winter to rebel. Very well.

Final question: Is Winter sure of her decision?
Is she willing to go all the way with it, or does she have any doubts?

Porush
Dec 26, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

That question seems somewhat ambiguous to me, since we haven't been clued in on what "all the way" would consist of. Is it the case that going "all the way" consists of actively preventing Cyrus from performing his plan and also that "having doubts" means that she doesn't think his plan is completely crazy? If the answer to that question is yes, then I vote all the way.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

SSNeoman posted:

Anyway, seems like everyone here wants Winter to rebel. Very well.

Given that the tally is follow 9 and rebel 12, "everyone" is a bit generous :v:

If we're going to rebel, let's be doubtful about it then.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
If she's going to do it, might as well go all the way

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Winter is a novice in a strange and dangerous situation and about to disagree with her trainer/boss, you can't halfarse something like that. All the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
gently caress you Cyrus you're not my real Dad! :mad:

• Locked thread