Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Doubtful, to reflect the state of the vote tally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Doubtful, because every protagonist is wishy-washy on the first path.

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
She may not know many things, but the one thing she's certain of is that murder is wrong.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alright. I'm gonna call it here. Winter will rebel and she will be certain of her decision.

I hope you guys made the right choice. Whatever happens, it's on you.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SSNeoman posted:

I hope you guys made the right choice. Whatever happens, it's on you.
Whatever happens, I blame Cyrus. :colbert:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Never compromise Winter. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012
E: Whoops. Just noticed that it said at the beginning of the game that if there's too much chaos, everybody dies. Well that makes what I was using this post to say kind of stupid.

Porush fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 21, 2013

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
You gotta have Conviction, can't back down now.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
Anime protagonists are always absolutely sure of themselves to the point they'll continue believing it right as they fall off a cliff. Plus, she's 14 and probably thinks she knows everything—she's certain she's right.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure how much information anybody has on this world, considering they dropped a newbie on it hours from nuclear war.

...I wonder how well situations are even scouted out, actually. If people like Cyrus end up being necessary because things get to the position that the best way out, right now, is to kill someone.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
...Judging by what we've seen, I'm pretty sure they barely bother with scouting at all. According to the Codex page, they've been here a grand total of 45 times, and their entire knowledge of this country amounts to two paragraphs and the note that this is the first time they've never actually had someone go there.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012
Their plan for educating world saviors is apparently sending teenagers out into the system with minimal training, and then hoping that they'll figure out everything else they need to know on the job. That seems pretty inadequate to me. They should probably be researching instead of investing heavily in attempts to save systems they barely know about.

Koriar
Apr 22, 2010
So this kind of sucks: https://dischan.org/devblog/2014/01/dischan-state-of-affairs/

Looks like Dischan didn't make enough money from this game to keep the company open. They say that they're not "dead" so much as "going into hibernation" but it's disappointing. The concept looks very interesting and I'd like to see more of it.

On the bright side, the game is on sale until the 13th for $2.49. Maybe if that does well enough they might restart development on the next episode?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248800/?featured_app=1

Or from their store where I'm sure they get a higher percentage of the money:

https://dischan.org/product.php?productID=8

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Thanks for the link, just bought the game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Update 6

We have chosen to rebel against Cyrus' plan. Let's see how this goes.

(There isn't a question about this! I need to stop him, or, or...I need to try! If only to keep my sanity in knowing I did my best...)

Music: Seize The Day

(I need to convince Cyrus not to go through with this!)

Tch, I can't believe this...

Are you even listening to anything I'm saying?

Are you listening to me!?

No. You're just a kid.

(Ugh!)

Well, do! I have a lot of things to say to you!

Pfft, alright...How about this?

If you can seriously convince me that this isn't the right choice, novice, then I'll follow you to the bitter end.

There won't be a bitter end!

Not if I have anything to do about it.

Just...shut up and listen!

I'm listening.

And now we get some new choices. We will have a couple more, after which Cyrus will decide whether to go with our plan or his. You will most likely mess up and pick the incorrect choice, which will take you to a choice where Winter forces him to go with her. If Winter backs down, the rest of the story plays out as though you followed Cyrus. If she doesn't, the story plays out as though she convinced him.
However, the goons have decreed that Winter is sure of herself. As such, she will pick the choices and convince Cyrus to rethink his idea.

Like I said, most of the people don't even agree with Barnaby.

Don't agree with what, sir?

With a war; we've been over this.

Oh, so you went around Brighton with a little survey, eh? 'Check "yes" if you think Barnaby's a prat'? You certainly are and amazing mediator! I didn't even notice!

:allears: I'm not sure where you're going with this Winter, but keep it up!

Not only was I told that many disagreed, it follows sense that they should. After all, their president is a tool, and although they live painfully they also live peacefully. Why would they all agree with such drastic measures?

Listen! What you're proposing is a grand ruse over all of them, simply to paint Gabrea more of a villain!

It will be fine.

No, it won't! These people are far too tense to just be...'fine' after their president is murdered within their own borders!

You wouldn't know.

Neither would you! Can you see the future!?

I can't, but I've seen the past.

Well, I see the present! Killing the President could just as easily tear this country apart as you think it would unite it!

Have you considered Fehrdia?

I have. They're no threat.

Really? You don't think that with Brighton's President dead, they might look at it as a prime opportunity for invasion?

No, I don't.

Why is that?

Well, first of all, attacking Brighton would basically be the same as attacking Gabrea, since the two are so closely intertwined. I very much doubt that Gabrea would sit idly by as another country attempts to seize their workhorse, even if said workhorse is an uppity one. I also don't think that Fehrdia would be willing to wage war against a major world power and Brighton's new army.

Lastly, it's not as though Brighton will just shut down if the President is killed. This sort of government has replacements readily within reach.

Even I find myself disagreeing with Cyrus' points. He makes a lot of brave assumptions about Fehrdia's populace.

Doesn't Fehrdia have a history of fighting against odds, though? You really think the threat of Gabrea coming to Brighton's defense is enough?

Maybe not alone; you just have to consider the nuclear weapon.

Then you think they wouldn't attack because of mutually assured destruction?

Wrong application of the term, Winter: Brighton has nuclear weapons, but Fehrdia does not. Brighton's are the first on this system, as far as we know. In essence, though, yes. Even though Fehrdia is a powerhouse, they wouldn't want to risk a nuclear weapon launched in their direction.

Wouldn't they? Considering what an aggressive country it is, and how little people know about nuclear weapons, I would think Fehrdia could potentially invade.

(Ugh! No matter how good my start is, if I stumble one foot in, then...Argh!)

(No! Cool it, cool it! This isn't over yet.)

Y-You know, I'm actually trying really hard, here! I mean, I know that I'm inexperienced. I know that I'm foolish.

...I know that...

Winter, I...it's not-

It is the truth, sir: please don't try and pity me again.

...You see, I know that I have weaknesses: I even know that I have more than just those two. I am still trying, though, despite those things. I'm being as strong as I can.

I might be championing an ideal, but I know that I'm not entirely wrong. I feel that this situation must have a better solution: a solution through which nobody dies.

So for goodness' sake, sir, don't think of me as pathetic and stupid! Try to take me a bit more seriously!

Winter, I don't think you're pathetic -- o-or stupid!

Nice going, Cyrus.

Oh, come now.

No -- I just -- I -- Listen, I think you're an incredible person, Winter.

Excuse me?

Listen-

Are you making fun of me? 'Incredible'? Seriously?

Well guys, we managed to fluster Cyrus. Congratulations, goons.

You have a lot of strength! Not many students would be so rebellious.

But Winter, it's also your detriment. You can't just go off of inner strength alone. Things are more complicated than that.

These worlds are different, and it is a fact that I know more about them than you do. So...Just trust me, alright?

I don't think I can...

Can you tell me more about your plan?

What more is there to say? I kill the president, and there are two probable outcomes: Gabrea shuts Brighton down before the nuke is launched, or the nuke is launched with the backing of the people.

Is that really all there is to it?

I mean, I admit that maybe it could work, but it's just so narrow-minded. Aren't there less...Bloody ways to bring about order, here?

Furthermore, these are only possibilities...so it's possible they might not work out.

Sure, but it's quick, it's easy, and it leaves a lot of time for additional measures.

'Quick' and 'easy', eh? Hmph, I can't believe what I'm hearing. People's lives are at stake, and you're treating it as if it were a game!

If you hit enough pressure points in a system, things usually work out. Even if they don't, avenues for resolution are often made apparent by it.

Oh gracious, dd you honestly just tell me that you do into a system and smash things until they work out? You're the type who thwacks a computer, thinking it will fix the bugs?

No, obviously things aren't that simple.

Ah, but you seem to be all about 'simple'.

Alright, listen here, runt.

Poisoned water? Help the simpletons invent a damned filter. Cacol, how did it even get to that point? It was never an issue.

Oh, but here you are, with this sole sliver of an experience, and this odious, sanctimonious air, and suddenly you think you have all the answers! You!

Do you not know how long I've been doing this? Do you not know how many worlds I've brought to order?

Countless. Appreciate my efforts, scorn them - do what you will, but it doesn't change the fact that they work more often than not.

Music: *NONE*

These murderers, these thieves, these swindlers, these racists and bigots hateful wastes of life...Ha, even now they're threatening to murder at least a city of their own.

This isn't your utopia, Winter. This world doesn't work like the one you're used to. These worlds? Oh, they can be brutal.

Winter, if you can't even handle this? If you can't handle this alone[/i]? Then pack your bags when we return, because this isn't the job for you![/i]

drat Cyrus.
Now tell us how you really feel.

Wi - ah...I...Sorry, that was too much, I...

Listen, this is...This is just the way things are.

(I shake my head.)

Well done, Winter. That was pretty good.

Just...whatever, Mister Addington.

And we finally hear Cyrus' last name.

(...I suppose I should just move on, then.)

(Let's see, I...I have to remember that my questions themselves can speak for or against our position. Well, keeping that in mind-)

What, sir?

Don't ask me anymore questions.

(Well, I suppose you really did break the mood...)

I would prefer to ask you something, myself, and then we will end it.

That so?

(He nods.)

Fine.

(I am not exactly right and ready to ask him anything else, I'll admit.)

...Right then. Here it goes...

I...Huh? Just that?

(Again, he nods.)

Well?

(...)

Everything about this screams of evil.

'Evil', eh? Hmph...Is that all?

What do you mean?

Your reason to argue is simply because you think it isn't right?

...Yes! Is it so terrible that I still have a feeling heart!?

On this job, it could be.

For what, sir? For what good reason would I have to forget what's right and wrong in life?

To lose track of such a basic sense...It would be despicable!

(He says with a hint of finality, which I take.)

Really!?

...Yeah.

You aren't...Really?

(This is still reality, yes? An anomaly didn't just occur, right?)

...Don't be so surprised, I...

...believe in you.

I think that, if anything, you have the proper conviction to...maybe have a shot at succeeding here. I can't say you're wrong, Harrison, you've made your point rather clear, if you ask me.

O...Okay.

Are you ready, then? We wasted quite a bit of time with that debate.

I am.

Alright, consider the mediation underway.

(I nod with strength and certain gravitas. I am not overjoyed by any means at my success, however I feel a kind of relief in knowing no one will be murdered here.)

(If anything, I am most certainly confident. I managed to get Cyrus, as stubborn as an ox, to listen to me. If I can do that, what do I have to worry about?)

Good question; we'll need to find out.

We don't have the location of the presidential offices logged, so perhaps we'll head to a library. At least it should offer easy internet access.

(I giggle at this irony, but Cyrus is thoroughly unamused.)

Do we know where there's a library?

In a minute.

(He looks away from me, and I follow his cue. As it turns out, many people have started to filling the streets; pale-faced and shaken. I should say, the few people who I've seen during my time here have all had familiar looks of weariness on their faces, but they've always nevertheless greeted me with a smile.)

(These people do not have the strength to even do so much. I imagine that the speech must be over now, and what was said was quite disturbing)

(After a half-minute of serious looking chatter, he returns, walks straight past me upon reaching me.)

Come on, let's go.

(In a situation less strict with time, I think I'd like to try reading some of these books. Their stories must be very odd.)

(Fiction is written from reality, right? Then by that notion I may only assume that here they have books about economy and wartime shenanigans.)

Not necessarily, Winter. I would think if anything they would have books about romance and adventure, something to help people forget their troubles, if only for a short while. It's one of the reasons movies were so popular in the Great Depression.

(What an unpleasant thought to ponder, I have to admit that I'm curious.)

...Alright.

Alright?

Hm.

...Or he would be.

I should mention that I actually found that information on a site for tourism. In a less desperate situation, that would have made me laugh.

Why? Your official government buildings don't have tourism? I would think that would be a great way to impress upon the young'uns how perfect The Oligarchy is in their judgements and decisions.

Well, no matter. this is it. The location data has been sent to your ICD. We'll be off when you're ready. Are you prepared?

I told you I was before.

You're still?

Of course!

(My blood is burning fast and everything! What a ridiculous question. After that gauntlet earlier, what isn't there that I can weather?)

Alright, but if you get worried at all about the dangers, remember that I'm here. I'll make sure you're safe.

I like this part. Winter sudden shock at seeing a weapon manifested before here eyes and the little illustration of the gun. It's also silenced, which makes sense considering Cyrus probably uses it for assassinations. The painterly artstyle works pretty well. The nice, soft colours juxtapose very well with the serious subject matter.

(In its presence, I feel myself shrinking, and I can only hope I will pump back up in the next minute or two. I can't be cowering at the climax, can I?)

(I shake my head, quickly.)

We'll shift in five,

(Awesome, that's awesome. I start breathing through my nose and out through my mouth, slowly, trying to quell my heartbeat.)

(Withing five, it is mostly successful. Surprising! With today's record, one would imagine I'd be having a fit right about now!)

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 17, 2014

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
You've got a few missing portraits in there:

SSNeoman posted:

wintereyesclosed Ah, but you seem to be all about 'simple'.

[...]

cyrussmug This isn't your utopia, Winter. This world doesn't work like the one you're used to. These worlds? Oh, they can be brutal.

[...]

wintersigh Just...whatever, Mister Addington.

[...]

Wintersigh Fine.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Thanks! I don't know how I missed those!

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
My first playthrough, I found it pretty disappointing that following along gave you so little else. At least when you rebel, there are lots of dialogue options.

I'm hoping that, despite the bad news about Dischan, that the game's story will be continued. The end of the first chapter really leaves me wanting more. I've even made multiple saves from the end, hoping that convincing Cyrus and not convincing him, but still forcing him to not kill the President will have an in-story divergence.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do appreciate Cyrus being willing to give us a chance.

...God knows what we're actually going to do with it, of course.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay, before we continue, would anyone mind terribly if I blew up the images a touch? Like up to a width of 900px?
Also sorry this took a goddamn month.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think it's fine?

Koriar
Apr 22, 2010
No objections here. And I'm just glad you haven't abandoned the LP!

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Dischan started a Kickstarter to finish up the game.

Bad news is it looks like they're not able to bring back the lead artist from the first game, which is quite disappointing since the art separated DS from a lot of similar games of this ilk. Hopefully it reaches its KS goal since I was pleasantly surprised with my playthrough.

Also this game is also part of an ongoing Indie Gala sale.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 2, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Wow. That's, uh, not great.

pocketwatch
Apr 26, 2008
Looks like rebelling was the better choice. Cyrus's plan is full of holes even if you agree in principle - why hurry to act if you believe the nuke and war will happen either way? There surely are slower and less risky ways of uniting the people, or whatever the goal is. On the other hand, if you can get past security to the president easily, why not try to find and sabotage the nuke instead? Make it a dud, or have it explode over the ocean. Then the war will just be a conventional war, with more time to try to end it.

That said, there's enough ambiguity that I'm curious where this story will go.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Just as I'm about to finish up the next update, you guys appear! I see how it is.

Lance Streetman posted:

Wow. That's, uh, not great.

Same guy?

I got bigger worries than the DeviantArt graphics. Though I will miss the painterly palette something fierce.

Look at Winter's pose and expressions. Especially look at her body language.

Compare to this.

Doom's were a lot more subtle and a lot more effective. The new ones seem like your garden variety indie VN expressions. I notice she's also clutching her sweater. Nice. That bodes well I'm sure.
For those who really give a drat, she has short jeans and a t-shirt under that sweater, as you can see in that concept art.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 2, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Update 7

Music: (Name Unknown-This one's not on the OST. It's a jazzy tune with a slow tempo that sounds like it's coming from a radio. It mostly features a trumpet and a piano. Very Fallout New Vegas.)

(I can understand the fact. I am not that stubborn and foolish.)

(It appears the Cyrus thinks otherwise, however, as upon our arrival here, he immediately puts a finger cross my lips. I frown behind it, but am mostly alright with it.)

(Hm, well, the man is President Barnaby, I assume.)

(My lips tremble, and he puts his entire palm over my mouth.)

Classy, Cyrus.

(I catch myself in confliction: wanting to cry out and stop him, but not wanting to give our presence away.)

(I take to grabbing at the side of his hand and gripping his skin with my nails, trying to pry him off. It's unsuccessful, of course. I can hardly budge his hand. Getting desperate, I try to bite him, and only end up awkwardly licking his fingers. At this, he trembles, his cheeks change shade, and he briefly glares at me. He squeezes my face shut.)

Nice one, guys. I can understand why Cyrus didn't want to share his plan with Winter, but he should have at least clued her in somewhat.

(Having spoken both at once, it ultimately sounds like "don't move him". Noticing what I've done, Cyrus harshly addresses me under his breath)

What did I just say, Winter?

(I push his arm away from me and glare at him a glare that says "I thought you were going to shoot him!")

(The President has turned and is now looking at us...I screwed up...Hey, no, wait- Cyrus might have been about to shoot him! Also, what was he doing holding me like that? What sort of plan was he making!?)

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't hear me right just now. I said not to move.

Well then, I do apologize for my misunderstanding.

Right, well, now you know.

(...? Um, okay? Going to say anything more anytime soon? I can't believe we're seriously having an awkward silence here of all places-I mean, really. It takes what feels like minutes before Barnaby decides to break the mood.)

You're here to kill me, I suppose?

No, I've actually come to talk.

'To talk'?

(His eyes drift from Cyrus to me, and I have no idea what else to do but quake under his gaze. He is...foreboding in his oldness. So much confidence...)

I don't believe guns can speak.

Cute. Just consider the weapon some insurance

It was probably supposed to be "as some insurance" or simply "as insurance"

...It's no real concern, anyway.

(He looks away from me and back to Cyrus: an action that relaxes my shoulders.)

Well, I've got to say: I was expecting someone to come for me with a gun, but the girl is a surprise. I'm probably not in a position to be asking questions, but I just have to know what you meant to accomplish in bringing her here.

She has to be here, and that's all you need to know.

Well alright.

They're looking after things that are actually important.

(What is this devilish old man saying? Is he trying to pull a fast one, where the longer we fart around with irrelevant questions, the sooner the doors will blast open and both of us will be killed?)

(Or does he have an even more sinister plan than that...?)

(I voice my concerns in action: tugging Cyrus' jacket and giving him a look. Look and tug as I might, though, he refuses to consider me. Whatever; my movements broke his concentration. Now he's taking a minute to recollect his thoughts. I take the opportunity to speak in his stead.)

Alright, wait a sec.

(Cyrus groans and shakes his head, clenching his fist and teeth)

Winter...

(I mostly ignore him.)

What should it matter whether you're alone or guarded or whatever? Couldn't you be lying, and they're in fact waiting behind the door for us?

There's no one waiting.

Well, even if that were true, then wouldn't it suggest-in your expectation and aloneness- that you were seeking a, well...certain kind of situation?"

What situation's that?

Like, you know...

A willing participant to Cyrus' original scheme.

That's enough, Winter.

(Okay, okay; fine.)

There's not going to be any murder here.

(We both look at Barnaby, who looks dull.)

Even if that seems to be what someone here wants.

Look, I don't know what you're sugges-

Quiet, alright? The implications here are really rubbing me the wrong way.

(Well, you were going to make him a martyr anyway. What's it matter whether or not he expected as much?)

Now, listen: that's all I'm asking.

Don't argue, don't make any sarcastic comments-in fact, don't talk unless I give you the go-ahead. If you do, I might have to shoot your legs or something, and I very much doubt you'll like that. Are we clear?

(Barnaby nods.)

Hey...that's wonderful. Okay, I want-and this is the only thing-I want your word that you won't launch that nuke.

(The President regards my mentor with confusion and a touch of disbelief.)

That's just not how it works. I can't give you my word when my country will only suffer in turn. The lives of Gabreans over Brightons is not something I can accept.

Are you dense? I don't want your word for the Gabreans, I want it for us Brightons!

We are now! :v:

Yes!

You expect me to believe that one of my citizens would threaten me, over the lives of our oppressors?

Yes!

I'm sorry, that's just too ridiculous.

Are...Are you loving retarded? Do you think Gabrea would even think of wasting resources to kill you? You think they even care? Even if you do fire on them, they'll take it as a chance to dominate us completely again! They'll ravage us!

Don't you get it? You're asking for a war! You're about to take on one of the world's military giants with a bomb and a ragged army!

The decision did not come easily.-I don't want to do this.

Then find some other way!

There is no other way! You, as anyone else, should understand that! I have tried every other way! I- we have bent and knelt, nose to the floor, for Gabrea for over a century, and do you see where it's gotten us? It hurts to see my people celebrating the increase of minimum wage when I know drat well that Gabrea is laughing at us for the joke that it is!

The options are exhausted! I gave them an ultimatum, and I swear to you we're ready for thi-

We alone can't take on the forces of Gabrea, even with the funding they gave us-!

...Wait. What?

(Looking flustered, Barnaby palms his face. The adults grow silent.)

(Cyrus glances at me in quick bursts, his expression growing increasingly concerned. If what we both heard is right...Barnaby is suggesting that Brighton has friends.)

I can only think of one friend willing to support a war. That, is not good.

Yeah, there we go.

(Barnaby pants, clearly unused to breaking face.)

...It's only temporary.

You can't believe that-

We had no other choice. We couldn't fund the research on our own.

That doesn't matter...Don't you realize-

We can trust them, they understand us.

Fehrdia will stomp us into the dust once this is over!

... We'll have to deal with that as it comes.

(Once more, they fall silent.)

(This...Well, this changes everything. How could he have gone and done that? To what leagues of desperation has this nation fallen? Barnaby, sweating, finally speaks again.)

...I'm sorry.

(Crap almighty-what are we going to do now!? With this, Gabrea really isn't a threat at all! Those powerful weapons, and that vicious nation's backing? Gabrea is screwed...)

(A hopelessness settles into me as I realize how out of control the situation has become with one revelation. It looks now that no matter what, there will be killings.)

Then you asked for a military to keep Gabrea out of suspicion.

Yes.

Killed two birds with one stone that way, huh?

...yes

President Barnaby...

(He looks at me like he forgot I was in the room.)

I...I probably don't need to tell you how much you've ruined your...ruined us. You're going to initiate an absolute slaughter this way, and at the end of the day Fehrdia will slaughter us, too. I understand your desperation, but I...I think you don't get Gabrea enough...credit...

(Both pairs of eyes are now on me, and I feel very pressured to speak convincingly. It really is now or never...)

It's...It's...certainly... hard living the way we do. My...dad works almost constantly, and we really do always have to worry about things like...starving and all that.

You've really got to remember, though, that you're about to bite the hand that feeds us. They gave us an opening, and as much as you think it's a joke, we celebrate it for a reason.

I...I am sure and...I'm positive that if you were to keep fighting for us then maybe we could...change more things.

...So you're his daughter.

She is now!

(I nod hesitantly. Barnaby shakes his head in a slower manner reflective of Cyrus's earlier movement.)

drat Barnaby. I imagine he's doing this to prove a point, but that's a sudden question to ask her.

(...Well, no: I don't. I was sort of just hoping to appeal to his heart. I don't have anything to offer that he hasn't already considered, I bet. Also, what with the mistake of his union with that nation on the border, I am pretty sure there is nothing I can suggest to save this place. )

(Still, he seems to want me to answer, and Cyrus isn't stepping in. Is there anything I think he missed...? Obviously not talking to Gabrea...Gabrea hasn't responded. We were right, then: Gabrea will use Brighton's actions to justify violent reaction. Mercy...what do their people think? )

(Setting aside that they're actually underestimating this country, let us imagine that they knew full-well that Brighton posed an actual threat...Would they be willing to go to war? To perhaps die, just to subjugate Brighton again? I mean, didn't Cyrus say that even Brighton's people don't want this? Why should those of Gabrea? They aren't even very militaristic. They must believe that Brighton isn't nearly as dangerous as it actually is. These nuclear weapons have never existed before, right?)

(Then what Brighton needs to do...is make Gabrea take them seriously: to inform the public of their abilities.)

Where do you suggest?

Um...Somewhere where it wouldn't kill anyone?

You want me to fire a warning shot.

Um, yes. Gabrea is probably just waiting for us to attack so that they can retaliate, and put us on an even tighter leash. However if they, and their people, had a demonstration of the destructive power of the bomb then I think-

(Barnaby heaves a mighty sigh.)

Sorry to say, little girl, but that opinion has already been considered and rejected.

Why?

We can't afford it. Let us just say that our supply of warheads is limited, and that production costs are rather high.

W-What's a warhead?

Another name for the bomb.

(Oh, of course.)

Even with the funding Fehrdia has given us, we could only make so many. Aside from the monetary cost, the materials are particularly difficult to procure, and time consuming to process. We simply cannot afford to be wasteful. We will need every weapon available for whatever threats could be coming...Gabrean or, I hate to say it, Fehrdian.

Well, it wouldn't be wasteful. It would be to scare them and avoid this whole thing.

I know what you would intend them for, but I'm afraid that objectively it would be a waste.

Whoah! Hi Cyrus! Forgot you were with us.

(We are both surprised Cyrus still has a voice.)

And I'm not the only one, apparently.

The bomb is still untested?

Practically. If we had done a full-scale test, our cover would have been blown.

Then there's really never been anything like this before...? Pardon me, I don't follow the sciences.

That's right: while Gabrea and other nations have tampered with nuclear fusion, it has never been applied to weaponry this successfully.

(Aaaaahhhhh...hearing that still makes my head spin.)

All of Gabrair!? Isn't it just a bomb!?

Not a conventional bomb.

Well it's no wonder Gabrea isn't listening, no one understands what this thing is!

Were you just planning on surprising them!? How disgusting!

...The lives we'd take in our attack would be nothing compared to the losses we have suffered under their rule. No statistics have ever been released, but upwards of one-hundred thousand die every year from poverty in our country.

(Wha-)

To put that in perspective, our nation's population is numbered at 34,000,000, and an estimated 5,000,000 have been lost in just the last sixty years.

-?--??

47% of this nation lives in poverty, and the rest suffer under pitiful wages. Sacrificing the entire city of Gabrair in an instant? A mere 3,000,000? I wouldn't sleep any worse for it.

I put the numbers in numerical form instead of in words like the game does. Makes them easier to interpret, I find.

That's...stupid!

Winter, not now.

(It is, though! What terrifying numbers...and he wants to raise them!? What does that even prove!?)

She's right though. That is very stupid.

Mr.President, stop thinking so little of others' lives.

(Tch, funny you should say that.)

Gabrea has hurt us, but what will returning the favor accomplish? You're only going to breed more hate.

We have a military, we have Fehrdia, and as if those weren't enough, it seems we have more than one city-leveling bomb.

Reconsider already! Just launch it into the ocean! Let them realize what we're capable of! Anyone would fear the weapons we harbor, and you have no reason not to brandish them! You could spare those 3,000,000 lives. You don't have to sacrifice them to prove a point!

...Even if I did agree, I don't know if I have that kind of power-

Oh please, don't act weak now! Talk with your advisors, make a new call and make the Gabreans piss themselves in terror! In the aftermath, I get the feeling they'd be more than willing to talk. Hell, maybe they'll even give us more than we'd ever asked for.

Just give them that chance.

...I...

R-Really!?

(The President reaches up and compresses part of his collar between two fingers)

...However, we'll need to make a decision quickly, and if it changes from the one we'd already made, I'm frankly not sure how the Fehrdians will take it.

But we can't allow them to control us. I'm not shedding a master just to take a new one. We should not charge headlong into war, just for slights against us. We should retain our identity as Brightons.

Just as you two.

(Then we're honorary Brightons, now? What a badge of shame.)

No need to be a jerk about it, Winter.

Speaking of you two...I'd appreciate if you used whatever way you got in to get out of here.

Whatever organization you're a part of-ah, well, I just assume that you are but...

I think it would be best of you remain anonymous.

I would agree.

(Cyrus turns and walks a few steps before stopping to scrutinize the rug. He breaks his gaze from it and calls back to Barnaby)

Yes?

Thanks for actually listening to us.

There's actually a whole bit of animation here:

Well how about that. You did it goons! You solved the nuclear crisis!

Music: *NONE*

(...Hm. This seems to be back where we started. Cyrus stands next to me, still and somber. I look at him, confused; for someone who just solved a problem, he seems genuinely, quietly, distraught.)

...Is something the matter?

Quite frankly, yes.

We're missing something key, here. Hold on.

(He begins to consult his ICD, apparently searching through his codex from what his eye movements suggest. What exactly could be the problem? As far as I know, we'll still have to mediate the problem between Gabrea and Brighton, and potentially between Brighton and Fehrdia, but the threat of nuclear destruction should be out of the way for now.)

(I open my own codex, scanning through the history of this world and such. The minutes pass by slowly, and neither of us speak. Finally, after going through many entries, I look away from my wrist. I couldn't find anything that seemed out of the ordinary.)

...That can't be right.

Sir?

(Completely ignoring me, his head swishes to the left and he stares at the wall of televisions intently. I follow, perplexed.)

And here we go.

This will be the first large-scale test of the device, as Brighton was earlier unwilling due to heavy scrutiny while under Gabrian surveillance.

(Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Cyrus biting his teeth together. In the back of my mind, something tell me to be very worried right now.)

Now, some of you may know about the science behind our nuclear power plants. The same theory employed in these fusion reactors is employed in the bomb developed by Brighton scientists. Similar to how stars are born, the bomb generates its destructive power through the fusion of atomic nuclei, creating atoms of an even larger mass.

Update 4 posted:

Stars are beautiful.

Firstly, at the center of the device, the bomb initializes by the extreme compression of a small space filled with gasses and fuel. The ludicrously high temperature and pressure resulting then starts a powerful proton-proton chain reaction. The chain reaction is strong enough to fuse the atoms within, beginning the primary process for which the weapon gained its name: nuclear fusion! Nuclear fusion releases an immense amount of energy-destructive power thousands of magnitudes greater than conventional weapons.

In fact, with enough reactant, the energy released could actually start off a genuine star! Of course, scientists theorize that there isn't enough fuel on the entire planet to accomplish such a feat. But I'm blathering, I doubt you viewers even know what I'm talking about! We'll start by discussing atoms...

S-Sir? That doesn't really sound like the bomb I read about...

drat it...I should have guessed-this world is a bloody outlier in every other regard!

(Is this the pure fusion bomb Cyrus had mentioned...?)

(Creating a star sounds very risky-Cyrus does not seem to like the possibility... but there's no way they used enough reactant, right? The person on screen said there was no possibility of such a thing.)

Codex

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 2, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Ed: Never mind. I'll save it for later.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 2, 2014

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Ahahaha that's amazing. I'm just picturing the alternative where they go ahead and launch their bomb at the capital and whoops, the ENTIRE WORLD is annihilated in one go

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait, they seriously developed fusion reactors before fission reactors and bombs? :psyduck:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

SSNeoman posted:

Same guy?

Definitely not. Dunno who this new art director guy is, but that fanart is clearly by doomfest wait, magister? I'm mixing these people up.

e: Yeah, magister.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 2, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Artstyle schmartstyle, I'm in this for the writing and the music. Backed 'em for 50CAD to get the trilogy and soundtrack.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fedule posted:

Artstyle schmartstyle, I'm in this for the writing and the music. Backed 'em for 50CAD to get the trilogy and soundtrack.

Yeah I backed em for 150 bucks (:shepspends:). Definitely glad that the sound guy and the writer are still there. I hope they're also keeping the UI dude, because these menus are awesome. I still have my concerns for the project, but I'll talk about it later.

Sindai posted:

Wait, they seriously developed fusion reactors before fission reactors and bombs? :psyduck:

Yep. The only explanation given is that this planet is an "outlier" when it comes to technology. The codex mentions that Sule has difficult conditions on the planet, and this causes rapid advancements in technology. I still don't know how they managed to lick fusion before fission, but that's all they say on the matter.

I also added the latest and final codex entries to the update.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Did... Did we just convince a guy to blow up the planet :ohdear:?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope not because that's not how fusion bombs work.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sindai posted:

I hope not because that's not how fusion bombs work.

Cyrus mentioned in like Update 1 that other systems can have significantly different physical laws to our own. I think that's what's happening here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

BlazeEmblem posted:

Did... Did we just convince a guy to blow up the planet :ohdear:?

Now, now. We may also have convinced a guy to demonstrate that the bomb which was his people's only hope for independence has all the destructive power of a paper bag.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
PSA: DysSysEP1 is 80% off on Steam right now, so if you really want a copy but can't swing 5CAD for the first tier of the Kickstarter (which gets you a free copy and helps the next two games exist) then this is for you.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
It's also a dollar on the iOS store, if you'd prefer it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
:master:

I like the cut of this game's jib.

• Locked thread