Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sorry this has been taking me so long guys, I'll get this finished as soon as school stops kicking my rear end :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Update 11

Welcome back everyone. Time to wrap up the other ending of DysSys Ep 1.

Music: *NONE*

(The words break me from my self-induced trance. The person in the hazmat suit has since removed it, and when I turn, I am glad to find a bare hand smiling face offered to me.)

Let's be off to your room, then.

Okay, thank you...

(She helps me to my feet, which I find are currently very unsupportive.)

(I sway slightly, but I don't know if that is due to the radiation or just my nerves being completely shot.

Winter!? Holy sh-uuuuuh...! What...What happened!?

Not right now...

How are ye-Um, do ye need any help?

Ma'am, is she alright?

She'll be alright, but right now she needs to puke.

(The lady is right. On the long way over to here, I started feeling right nauseous. I lean forward, indicating I need to run to the bathroom.)

(From outside the bathroom, I can hear the paramedic's voice.)

(I open my mouth, but quickly close it, as it's not words that are about to come out.)

(I somehow manage to answer her.)

I-I'll be fine!

(...My stomach is gurgling. Panting over the rim, I listen to the other room.)

Uh, yeah.)

Do you have anywhere to go, right now? Or in the next few hours, for that matter?

N-no.

Great. Stay with her, please? She'll probably be...in there for a while, but just make sure to call if it seems any worse than it should be.

Like how? How much worse could it get?

Well...Actually it shouldn't get any worse than it is; I just want you to phone us with your hall's emergency line if she's suffering too much and needs a sedative.

Alright...What is it anyway, a stomach virus, or is this about her assignment today?

The latter: she got radiation poisoning from an out of control fusion reaction. We've lost a system. The air was completely burned away.

...Don't worry, it's only sickness. She's not radioactive, anymore.

Now, I need you to listen. This is important: make sure she doesn't eat anything tonight, okay? She should fast a bit, for now. Tomorrow morning, though, get her to eat, and to drink lots of liquids. As awful as she feels, I need you to make sure she does. Can you do that for me?

Yeah, I can.

Excellent.

(Hearing this, I don't even consider it.)

(Though I am practically in pain with all this gastrointestinal warfare, right now I seriously deserve to suffer. I need some kind of punishment. I don't want to be okay with what happened.)

No, I don't want anything.

(My stomach gurgles again. I close my eyes.

...Alright. Your debriefing has been pushed back until tomorrow afternoon, in consideration of your state. You should also try to visit one of the counselors tomorrow, or on the first of the week if you aren't feeling up to it.

...Don't let this eat you up inside. Alright?

...Okay.

Good. I'll be going now. Be sure to have your roommate call us if you need anything.

(-Oh no. I let loose in the toilet again. Gross. I flush and roll to the floor.)

Whoah! You alright?

(Oh, right. I guess that might've looked like I passed out. Although, with how I feel right now, that could happen.)

Yeah...

(Stomach. Gurgling. Oh no.)

(I look at Waverly with what little strength I have. She looks upside down from here.)

Ye look green.

Hey, I'm going to help you up. You shouldn't be in the bathroom all day. It's bad being in there.

I showered.

Yeah, I know.

But seriously.

Ye...Yeah, I understand. I think I'm done, anyway. Can you bring me to my bed?

Well, I didn't pick you up to bring you to mine. C'mon, I don't wanna drag you.

(With her hands at the edge, she tips her head, and looks at me.

...Yes?

Can you talk much?

I think if I talk any more than what I'm doing now, I'll spew.

...Sorry.

It's okay. Don't worry about it.

(She looks at me like she wants to say something, but doesn't.)

(I hear it creak as she climbs onto it.)

...Hey.

Yeah?

Did you actually...almost die?

I did.

(The assuredness with which I speak my words somehow shakes me. I feel fear again, for a moment, but it quickly passes. I'm alive and safe. It's okay. Waverly doesn't say anything, and I can't turn to see her.)

I didn't die though, and my mentor didn't either.

(Guh...My eyes hurt...and my head hurts...)

(After saying this, I fall silent.)

(I apologize to Waverly again. She still says nothing, but I can tell she has an answer. I don't know what the answer is, but it seems hard to say.)

(That's fine, though. My eyelids are heavy, and my skull is throbbing. I feel like I'm going to drown in sleep, soon. That sleep you get from medication. Thick and unnatural sleep. I don't though. I just feel weighted and queasy. I stare at nothing, and listen to the settling of the dorms. I can hear people walking through the stone halls, although it's late. Wind is swirling about the mountains. There's music coming from elsewhere: light and haunting.)

We then get the opening for this route. It's the same as it was in Ending B.

Music: Maintenance (OP Ver.)

See ya next time.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Eagerly awaiting the new game in the series. Thanks for the LP, SSneoman! I would've never heard of this game without you!

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
Sad news for everyone waiting for the next installment: Dischan has announced that it will not continue with Dysfunctional Systems.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Crap, I was really looking forward to it too. :smith: Guess that's money I'll never see again.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Pity. Can't say I'm surprised, though.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well. It is what it is. I respect them for not releasing episode 0 if it did not meet their standards. That's a gutsy call.

I'm gonna finish this LP this month, and even though I put in over 100 bucks on kickstarter, I won't be asking for it back. Partly because getting a partial amount back sounds like a hassle, partly because it sounds like the dude needs it way more than I do and partly because hey, maybe they'll release something at a later date.

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah, it's sad that they've stopped development, but I will also not be asking for my money back. It seems as if most of the kickstarter funds have been spent already, and I certainly don't want to make someone pay out-of-pocket for my refund.

Also, they've posted a little post-mortem to say what went wrong in development.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i suppose it was about time i got burned on a kickstarter. do they actually have any obligations to return the money, or are they just being responsible?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's no legal obligation, no. That's why kickstarters should be thought of as risky investments, not preorders.

I'm not saying you did that, just in general.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sindai posted:

There's no legal obligation, no. That's why kickstarters should be thought of as risky investments, not preorders.

I'm not saying you did that, just in general.

fair enough, i dont kickstart many things so i didnt know. if that's the case no sense asking for a refund

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I hit a bit of a snag with my college. Sorry guys, I'll finish it this weekend!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ending A - Cyrus Ending (AKA Follower Ending)

Alright, let's wrap this up.

(It's past twelve o'clock, and I still haven't gotten brazen enough to wake her. I've managed to drop the ball on the simplest task: "make sure she eats breakfast". She just came back so depressed yesterday...I've no idea how to strike up a conversation with her, now.)

(I want to cheer her up, obviously, but I just...Okay, first of all: I don't even know her that well. We've only been living together for a few weeks. Sure we've been friendly, but, y'know, I wouldn't say we're friends yet? Still, as her roommate I feel I should at least try to make her feel better.)

(Man, maybe that would just make me seem like an rear end in a top hat? Like, "oh don't sweat the small stuff, Winter; it's just one world lost, and there's plenty of those!" It's a fantastic situation we have here, in room whatever-number-it-is. I'm totally not equipped to understand how she's feeling, and I'm not qualified to pester her.)

(I'm not able to even "get" what happened to her. How does all of a world's air just burn away? ...With a demon summoning and a crazy, undone seal? Curses and abominations from distant space? Heh...that'd be worth seeing.)

That's not funny, Waverly.

SFX: *Knock, knock*

(I walk over, prepared to answer.)

Music: Hyugge

Yes, we're getting another one of these. At least the music fits the situation more.

But I'd need longer that ten seconds.

(Extending a finger from my fist, I point at him.)

No. Stop right there.

(His lips tremble for a few seconds, but he prevents a smile.)

Winner hugs Beau, agreed?

Fine, but you will lose this game.

(He rolls up his sleeve, and offers me his hand.)

Thumb war?

Let us dance the dance of combat.

(Linking hands, we both raise our thumbs and stare intently at the battle zone.)

One, two, three, four, I declare a thumb war!

(We pass our thumbs over one another as we speak the rhyme, and when we finish, we clash.)

Truly a match of the iron-cage gladiators.

(We struggle for a few seconds before Ayo speaks.)

This is so dumb.

I think it was a good way of getting the point across.

A weird, otherworldly kids game where two opposing forces battle "to the death".

A great metaphor for the philosophy of some systems.

I guess I can't argue with that logic. When you have a school dedicated to training students to resolve violence, when said students have never been exposed to violence, then a kids game is not a bad place to start. It's an interesting concept, I wish this game would have gone more in-depth about it, but oh well. I wonder how the Oligarchy regulated the information people learn in Mediation School to prevent it from entering mainstream society? I know people apparently read fiction novels with violence (even though it's considered weird) in this world and yet things like bombs are an almost completely foreign concept?

Sure, sure, but something's wrong here. If I had this much fun fighting in a war, I'd be worried about myself.

I wonder if that was supposed to be foreshadowing; where Ayo would adopt a more Cyrus-esque philosophy while Winter would continue to try to use diplomacy.
That would certainly cause conflict in their relationship, which is the sort of thing all VNs ever thrive off.

Hah, well, I wouldn't say the stakes are quite as high here. Do ye think they'll give us more rhymes for other concepts?

If you see a loaded gun, you had better loving run.

People, people, people hate, it's what they call "descriminate"

(He laughs and our thumb game continues. Playfully, neither of us tries very hard.)

So, you heard about Winter?

Yeah, me and the other idiots who accepted the title of 'promising' were called to an emergency meeting last night. It was like at two in the morning.

That's an ominous categorization.

(He looks up at me.)

Cyrus showed up.

You know Winter...

...you have weird taste in (boy?)friends.

The ego on this one.

Yeah... she probably does.

...Cacol, Waverly, don't tell me you haven't even checked on her.

(I turn my eyes away. Well, what does he expect? Am I meant to just shake her awake and ask "how're you feeling?")

Didn't even make sure she doesn't have a fever? Waverly...

(Oh, right, not a bad idea, that.)

I will throw you out of there if you won't be responsible enough to take care of her.

You make it sound so easy. We barely know one another.

Then get to, and it will be easy.

(Ah, I kinda despise this guy for over-positive attitude. "Easier said than done" means nothing to him)

Are you going to leave, or do I have to shut this thing in your face?

(Ayo quickly shakes his head and holds up his hands.)

Whoah girl, this face is priceless: don't damage it.

You say things like that, and I only want to do it more.

(He plays at flinching and backs away.)

I'm out! I'm out! Just say hello to Beau for me, and tell her I hope she feels better soon.

Fine, girly.

(He sucks his teeth and cuts his eyes at me, pouting afterward.)

Later, Waverly.

Later.

(As he walks off, I move to close the door. Before I'm able to, though, Ayo calls for me again.)

Are you going to use that hug you won!?

O-Of course not!

(Laughing he turns down another hallway.)

Yeah I'd be exhausted too after a conversation like that.

So that was Ayo. Like Irie, he has a problem where he's introduced way too late, after the story is over. Like Irie, he comes off as overbearing, and while this is again supposed to show the children's inability to comprehend problems outside their system, it just feels jarring. To an unintentional degree. At least unlike Irie he asks Waverly to check up on Winter and we get some neat world-building out of the conversation. This is one of the reasons I like this ending more than the other.
The scripts don't do this scene any favors. I mean just look at them. I understand that Dyschan was pressed for time, but this really takes me away from the story.
Like Irie, Ayo was supposed to be a playable character in Episode 2.

(Alright, it would be embarrassing for her to wake up with me standing here, so I'll just touch her forehead softly and quick.)

(No fever, I think. I brush away some of her hair. She was sweating quite a bit, looks like, although now she's almost a little cold.)

(...Well, I had better wake her up now. I lightly poke her cheek, which garners no response.)

Haaaaaa...

(You'll make this hard for me, eh? You cute little thing. Fine. I slightly pinch her cheek, and when she doesn't budge I start to tug. Once I do that, she twitches, and I understand it as a signal to retreat from her bedside.)

Mgh, wha...what time's it?

Well, look who's decided to wake up. Late. You've been sleeping since ten last night.

Wh-Whoah, I actually...feel like I've been sleepinnnnmmmmmmlll...

(Her sentence transforms into a mumbled mess, and she begins to nod.)

Come on, Winter! You were doing so well! You still need to eat breakfast!

(Or, well, lunch at this point. My bad.)

Breakfast...

Sorry...I slept past it didn't I?

(Oh man, don't apologize to me. I could have easily woken you up.)

W-Well, yeah. It's lunch now, which's what I meant to say. Anyway, when do you want to go eat? Right now? I'll help.

Oh, I'm honestly...too 'blegh'-feeling to actually get up, let alone...stand up, or walk...or eat

I-I see...

How are you, Waverly?

Fine. You?

'Blegh', Waverly. Please pay attention.

Well your mind seems alright.

Oh, trust me, it's not. I feel...soooooo...slow...

But you practically quipped just now! Good stuff.

(I hear her turn over.)

Don't tell me you're just gonna go back to sleep.

No.

Then what are you doing getting comfy?

Am I not allowed comfort in my own room?

You're going to fall asleep.

...No I won't.

Mhm, that response was measures slower. I don't think you're telling the truth.

I won't, Waverly...!

Ooh, maybe I should read you some lines out of this book! That'd keep your attention.

Waverly, please. Don't.

(I turn to an old page.)

Oh boy oh boy :allears:

Ahem.

(Winter groans loudly and mumbles something I can't hear.)

(I hear Winter turn over again.)

Spare me.

He's about to sleep with Eleanor, though, despite all this crap about Asta; don't you want to know how that plays out?

No!

(She coughs.)

No. Please stop. Cacol, why are you reading that tripe?

You read inward fantasy fiction, and you belittle my taste?

I like reading inward fantasy because it's fun, so hmph.

These books are fun too, but fun because they're terrible.

You see, Winter? I enjoy these works because I can appreciate their silliness. I don't think they're actually good.

I enjoy it ironically you guys don't you see

Then you think they're awful, and revel in that?

Welcome to SA.

Yup. Authors from our world are all very good at what they do, naturally, so it's nice to read some trashy nonsense for a change.

Which is pretty much total propaganda. Stories are subjective, so it's not like you can create novels that are strictly better than others.
I mean case in point, you're reading a trashy romance novel despite the existence of those books.

You're making fun of other worlds.

Yeah? Who cares?

I don't know...

That's ri-

(Ah. I might be handling this with the sensitivity of a jackhammer.)

Um, not that, uh...

(Oh man, what am I supposed to say?)

Not that I mean to...imply...

Waverly, it's fine. I don't mean to sound like it bothers me. Sorry.

Hahahahaha, yeah...

...Winter-

There's a knock on the door

(Oh, come on. You're kidding.)

We-We'll pick this up in a bit.

(I rise from my seat.)

(I walk over to the door, hoping that this will be over with quickly so that I can return and clear the air. Opening it, I'm a bit taken back to find a teacher and my first mentor. Henry Pen and Walter L. Why are they together? Come to think of it, have they always wore clothes so alike? They're looking life perfect, fashionable gentlemen.)

Oh poo poo son :allears:
Though I get the impression from these dialogues that Cyrus has seen way more poo poo than either of these two.

Why did you not include this in the previous dialogue box?

(I strain my ears to listen)

(After this, Cyrus answers, but I can't hear what he says. Walter grabs him by the shoulder and snarls, whispering something else.)

(Cyrus refuses to look at him, and Walter scoffs, shoving Cyrus out of his way and catching up with Henry. Leaving Cyrus to just stand there with his head down...MAn they're so weird. Adults are so weird.)

WHOAH hello! We got our VN dialogue back?

...Hello, Waverly.

Hey...

(...You awkward creepy bastard.)

I, eh...I'm not...

(He finally looks me in the eyes.)

I'm not entirely sure what to say.

(You and me both.)

I just know I haven't properly apologized.

Not that this is properly apologizing...having a student relay a message for me. It's immature, but...I imagine I can't talk to Winter herself, right now.

(I say nothing because there is nothing polite to say.)

If the last ending's theme was Winter blaming herself for what happened to Suhl and Cyrus, then this ending has her deal with Cyrus' murder of the president. Despite having a nearly identical outcome, the effect on Winter is way different.
She still seems to be partially blaming herself, but she's mostly lashing out Cyrus. Understandably so, mind you.

I suppose...that's all I want to say that can pass through you.

The blame is wholly mine, and I want her to know that. She did nothing wrong.

(I can see that he wants to explain himself more, but it's hurting him to try. I's, er, better speak up.)

Sir, I'll tell her.

...Can I ask you something, sir?

I...listen: this is something difficult for students such as yourself to understand, but...I knew full well it would happen.

What!?

Listen.

Why on Earth should I!?

It's something that you eventually must understand.

The situation was a quagmire...many of the options available to us could have very likely made things turn out worse rather than better.

You'll have to believe me that, in this case, the best course of action to promote order was to allow that 'something bad' to happen.

(I'll have to hear what Winter says, because that sounds like nonsense.)

...The larger issue was that I underestimated the consequences.

To put it bluntly, I did not properly research. I was overconfident. Suhl - that is, the system we had visited - was a very chaotic world, although inconsistently. Scientific discoveries happened both quickly and suddenly there: large leaps in technological prowess were spurned by random discovery. I was a very unusual system.

And I knew that, but I didn't give it proper consideration. I had expected some losses from my actions, but certainly not the loss of an entire world. In short: I misjudged and rushed things.

:catstare:

And just what in the gently caress is that supposed to mean!?

Thank you, Waverly.

(Yeah, I know you're calling on those rumors about yourself being a grimly logical, murder-happy bastard, but it's not really funny knowing that's true, and what it entails.)

Well, unless you have anymore questions-

(Waverly, you git! Where do ye get off talking like a pal with a superior, and asking such personal questions!? Ye weren't even supposed to hear that! Heaven, are ye a buffoon!?)

...Far more than he knew when he said it.

(-!?)

However, I don't think that's a matter to discuss with you kids. Sorry.

No, it's fine! It's fine!

Is that all?

Uh, yeah.

Then, thank you for listening to me, Waverly. Again, I'm sorry to put this responsibility onto you, but I would really appreciate itif you could do this for me.

I will, I will, don't worry.

(He chuckles.)

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like we will ever learn what Cyrus means when he said this.

By the way, you shouldn't eavesdrop.

(Considering it, I decide to smile.)

Hah, I'll try not to. Then I'll be leaving, Waverly.

Peace to you.

Aye, and to you.

And we're back to ending vision.

(I shut the door. I'm not sure what my opinion of Cyrus is, now...Maybe it's worse? I shudder to think it's any better, but, well, I...guess he...Agh, this isn't something I can work out right now.)

Yo, Winter.

What?

You're very popular today. We've had a total of three visitors come for you!

(Or was it technically four? Ah, whatever.)

What can I say? I'm very charming.

Well, Ms. Charming, I have a letter for you.

(Huh.)

Here you are.

You might recall that Winter got this letter in the other ending as well.[/i]

(I toss it down next to her pillow, where she reads it sideways.)

...From Mr. Pen? Hm.

Yup, and, ummm...Also! I'm sorry about kind of...talking dismissively about worlds.

I told you that I didn't really mind.

I'm still sorry. I don't really...I shouldn't have been talking that way anyway.

You really don't need to apologize, Waverly.

Cyrus is also sorry.

(Winter falls silent.)

Hey, come on...just listen to what he had to say.

I'm listening.

He's sorry, and he wants you to know that it's not your fault, it's his. He doesn't want you to blame yourself.

Too late on that front.

...He knows he hosed up, Winter. Even if he's a jerk, you should forgive him: for yourself.

It's not that simple, Waverly.

I mean, even if I wasn't concerned with his motivations, he still treated me awfully and made me watch him kill a person. Furthermore, even if he had 'succeeded', millions would have still died...Pardon my language, but screw Cyrus Addington.

(A dark feeling grows in my belly. I push it down. Nothing good comes from harboring bad will.)

I can't pretend I know what that's like, Winter, but I know that just feeling poo poo about things isn't going to help you.

(I swallow.)

And I hate to say it, but you're probably going to see a lot more people killing people in this line of work.

(We also both know that we may end up killing a few or several ourselves, but nobody wants to acknowledge that.)

(I let out a sigh. This is depressing talk. It's bes if we move on.)

Any longer and you could end up missing your debriefing.

Ah. Shoot, you're right: that's today. I completely forgot about it.

Yeah, so come on.

And that's it for Dysfunctional Systems Episode 1! Thank you for reading this LP, everyone!
I encourage you guys to pick up this game, it should only be a few bucks, but it is so worth it! Even if the other episodes aren't coming out, this game still stands as one of the most polished indie VNs I've ever seen. I'm glad Dischan made it, and I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I have :)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Extras

The Extras menu will be our last update for this LP. I pretty much covered all the music, and the opening, so we'll only see the Illustrations and the Concept Art.

The Illustrations is a page for the various cut-ins throughout the game, the codex pictures, some bonus art as well as fanart. The last bits are somewhat infamous for their :japan:, which is in contrast to the game's tone and content. I didn't post any duplicates of cut-ins, because we already saw those in the LP, and I included very few of the other illustrations, partly because this would make this part too long (buy the game yourself, it's like 5 bucks) and partly because I wanna keep this clean.

I have also included the commentary which comes with each image.

Satellite View of Sule, Map of Sule
By RiceGnat
"Illustrations for codex entries. Inspiration was drawn from children's science books."

Episode 1 Poster
By Doomfest
"Promotional illustration for episode 1. It depicts the ICD as a doorway to another universe, and suggests other themes relevant to the episode. This illustration represents the episode and the series, so a bit of planning went into it."

Eagle-eyed readers might notice that the missile that seals Sule's fate is streaking across the skyline in the background.

Episode 1 Cover
By Doomfest and RiceGnat
"Cover for the Soundtrack"

I love this picture. Just look at this soundtrack cover. It's colorful, it has great shading, and it has that weird sense of foreboding that comes with Ep 1's story. Excellent.

Sidecar
By Doomfest
"Winter and Waverly in a sidecar and motorcycle. Chrome is fun to paint."

Winter and Waverly Mecha Girls
By Doomfest
"I wanted to draw some mecha girls."

:shrug: Eh, fair enough.

Winter and Waverly Mecha Girls Concepts
By Doomfest
"Designs for the mecha girls."

JRPG Design for Winter and Waverly
By RiceGnat

No, I will not change this to its new name.

Waverly
By kaname

Wav
By Moekki
"I'm really happy to contribute an illustration for this project, it's very impressive how many games dischan is capable of producing! Best of luck to future endeavours!"

Aww :3: And I like their style. Has a bit of a melancholic feel to it.

The next part is the Concept Art, which basically shows poses and character sketches that would later be used as the basis of images in the game proper.

Winter Harrison's Initial Concept
By Doomfest
"Initial concept art for Winter Harrison, Dysfunctional Systems' protagonist."

Winter Harrison Concept Art
By Doomfest
"Concept art for Winter Harrison, Dysfunctional Systems' protagonist."

One of my gripes with the art in the (now defunct) second episode Kickstarter was how generic it was. Far be it from me to ask the new artist to emulate the original artist's style, but I wished it wasn't so...VN-esque. If you play VNs, especially WW ones, you'll know what I mean.
What really impressed me with LtMC's art was what it managed to tell us about Winter without making it explicit. She is boy-ish/shy (she wears a hoodie that's too big for her), not one for appearances (her ruffled hair), obviously has her clothes picked by someone else (her clothes under the sweater) and is the quiet sort, until you get her upset. Granted, I have the benefit of the game to tell me this, but I am also extrapolating from just the art. I found that I couldn't really do that with Ep 2's art, which was disappointing.

Winter Harrison Animation Character Sheet
By Doomfest
"An animation guide of Winter for the opening. A page like this helps the character look on model when animated."

BETA
By Swiffeh
"Immaculate art for the Dysfunctional Systems episode 1 beta."

Winter Harrison's Mother's Concept Art
By Doomfest
"Concept art for Winter Harrison's mother, who appears briefly in episode 1."

You might remember her face appearing in a cut-in when Cyrus first brought up alcohol.
Hmmm.
I think I know who picks Winter's clothes.

Waverly Concept Art
By Minty
"Concept Art for Waverly, Winter's roommate at the Mediatorum."

Cyrus Concept Art
By Minty
"Concept Art for Cyrus, Winter's mentor in episode 1."

He looks younger here.

Paramedic's Concept Art
By Doomfest
"Concept art for the unnamed paramedic in episode 1."

Lots of detail in that picture goddamn.

And that's it everyone. Hope you enjoyed it!

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Well, count me among those sorry to hear that this won't be continuing, but I can see how with the two branches of the story diverging as intensely as they did (with regards to character development, not necessarily plot) the writers may have ultimately bit off more than they could chew for an Episode 2. That said, I do like this tale even as a short story, as while it is incomplete it has a lot of interesting concepts and does its part to create a larger setting that sets it up nicely as a series.

Also, since people like the music, I figured it is worth including the fact that the piece playing when Winter goes to sleep is actually Gymnopedie No.1 by Erik Satie. Also, while it normally is a composition for piano, the version in the game is apparently a slightly mutated recording done with a harp.

Funnily enough, that piece seems to be enjoying some popularity in VNs, as it was also used in World End Economica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Thank you for doing this LP; your commentary was very nice to read and it's nice seeing a visual novel that actually grasps the "creating atmosphere through music/text/pictures" part of the medium. A lot of them, Japanese or otherwise, just make a few talking portraits and call it done. It's both interesting and sad how this thread went across the Kickstarter and its eventual failure. Despite that I think the game still works as a decent short story, awkward shoehorning of the would-be sequel characters aside.

• Locked thread