Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I picked this game up on iOS a while ago (funfact: this game is available on iOS for... $3/£2.50, I think?) and just now got to playing through it. I'm now eagerly awaiting Episode 2.

The music alone could sell this game, really, but what really clinches it is that Winter is an interesting and relatable character (despite being an androgynous anime teenager) and her inner monologues are engaging and enjoyable to behold. Oh, and the plot is also pretty good. As we're going to find out.

Just one thing, though: Never, ever, open the Guest Artwork menu. The director of Dischan has gone on record as saying he regrets including it (having done so despite his better judgement), nothing like it will ever be included in any future games, and the only reason it hasn't been patched out is so it can be an enduring reminder for him to never do anything that dumb again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, here's what he actually said, free of my attempts to read into it:

quote:

Hello [Steam forum user].

I will certainly address your concerns.

In my opinion, you are correct. Some of the content in the extras would be viewed by many as inappropriate. You are also not alone: we have received multiple complaints about this issue.

It may or may not surprise you to know that I did not want to include the content you are refering to in the game. However, circumstances caused me to go against my judgement.

I could remove the offending images and text, but I would prefer not to. I don't believe in retroactive censoring, so I don't think I would remove anything unless forced to by Valve. I can tell you though that it's very unlikely that any similar content will be included in future games from us.

I'm sorry I can't give a better explaination as to why the content is in the game. Doing so would amount to pointing fingers and I would really rather not do that.

I am sorry if the content offended you or ruined the game for you.

- Jeremy Miller
Director of Dischan Media

I don't know about them getting money for including it, although that certainly isn't mutually exclusive with what was said there.

Lance Streetman posted:

They're packed in with the in-game illustrations, actually. Concept art is a whole different menu that I hope you show off later on.

On the iOS version they're in a separate submenu - concept art and in-game illustrations are somewhere else. Thankfully.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
At this point I have two observations to make.

One: I cannot - I cannot - stop seeing Cyrus as a Ctrl-Alt-Delete character. I'm sorry, Dischan, I don't mean to draw honest comparisons between your work and that thing but just... I can't stop looking at that guy's face and seeing B^U. Even if he doesn't have chronic fishmouth.

Two: This did not properly dawn on me until after I finished the game and poked through the sound test, but it bears pointing out because it's impressive; this game doesn't seem to ever reuse music. It's one track -> one scene. How many games do that?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm assuming that people who've played the game are preferred to abstain, so I shall do that, remarking only that I shall complain a bit about this choice later.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Artstyle schmartstyle, I'm in this for the writing and the music. Backed 'em for 50CAD to get the trilogy and soundtrack.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
PSA: DysSysEP1 is 80% off on Steam right now, so if you really want a copy but can't swing 5CAD for the first tier of the Kickstarter (which gets you a free copy and helps the next two games exist) then this is for you.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yep, this was about the point I stopped taking this game moderately seriously and started taking it properly seriously.

The Kickstarter is at 34750/49000 CAD with 12 days to go. It's going to be tight but every little bit is going to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I bring glad tidings: The DysSys Kickstarter is funded! They hit a major second wind a few days ago and blew through the last $6000.

Now let's hit some stretch goals! $54000CA gets 2 more major NPCs and some minor ones. $59000CA gets more explorable areas and more stuff to do. $64000CA gets a prologue chapter (which will also be a free demo of sorts) about Winter's first week at Mediating School. $69000CA gets animated cutscenes.

That's about as far up as I dare get my hopes (if they keep funding at the rate they've been going, and accounting for the typical bump in the last 48 hours, they could just scrape $69k) but they've planned out up to $100k.

• Locked thread