Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Okay, everyone, I've been re-considering the rules we have in CineD regarding promoting original works, so I decided the best thing to do would be to create one place where you can all ask for feedback, promote your films, tell us where we can see them, beg for money/pimp your kickstarters, etc. This is the thread to do it in, all other threads will be closed to keep them from cluttering up the forum.

But first some rules:

1: Don't be a dick when it comes to accepting criticism. Remember, you came to this site for feedback and advice, so you have to accept what you're given. You can of course refute their points, explain your methods, and choose not to take the advice, but don't throw a temper tantrum over what a misunderstood little genius you are.

2: Similarly, try to put a little effort into your criticisms. "Ugh that sucks" isn't doing anyone any good. You can be as harsh as you want, but make sure you actually have something to say that the creators can use or consider. "This is a zombie movie and I'm tired of zombies" isn't very helpful to anyone unless you suggest ways they can change the zombies.

3: NO FANFILMS. We already had a fan film thread and it was silly. Original characters do not steal only.

4: Pimping your Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/whatever is fine, but remember, you're begging for money. You're going to have a much easier time of it if you establish yourself in this thread first, comment on some other people's work, let us know you're an all-around cool person. Also, this is just common sense, but you should at least have a mock trailer or a portfolio sample or something. Let us know why we should give you our :tenbux:

BUT WHAT IF I WAAAANT MY OWN THREAD?

If you still want a specialized thread, the same rules as before apply. PM me a draft of the OP for approval, and be aware that I will be judging these much more harshly than before we had this thread. For an idea of the bare minimum amount of effort I would expect, see this thread. All specialized threads MUST be completed projects, no works in progress, and preferably they've gotten or are in the process of obtaining distribution, or are at least on the festival circuit.

Other than that, go hog wild! Tell us about your lovely YouTube series! Let's all embrace like brothers and mock one another's hard work endlessly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001
In the summer of 2011, some friends of mine and I made our first semi-professional short. A few of us had been making handy-cam horrors for years but we were able to get a bit of money put together to hire a crew, professional actors, and a great EFX artist.

You can view our effort here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvrqFEokqcM

We set off into the woods of cottage country, Ontario, Canada on the hottest weekend of that summer to get into layers of makeup and make our zombie mockumentary.

The Post-Lifers is a mockumentary that looks at a day in the life from the point of view of a group of zombies who have decided to let a human documentary film-maker tell their story. Ultimately the old Dawn of the Dead adage “they are us” applies.
We’ve spent the better part of the last year and a half screening our short film at various film festivals. We ultimately screened at 25 throughout Canada, the USA and Germany and the UK. Response was great – we ended up being awarded 7 Best Film/Best Short awards. I really wish I’d been able to go to more of the festivals, there’s nothing quite like seeing your film play to a packed house of people who are laughing along with the jokes.

The reviews we’ve got have been very positive – Char Hardin of Charred Remains gave us the honour of naming us her favourite short independent horror film of 2012!

http://charhardin.blogspot.ca/2012/12/post-lifers.html

http://www.zedwordblog.com/2012/04/post-lifers-short-film-review.html

Our festival run has now come to a close, and we want to share the film with more people than those who happened to be at a festival where we were running. We’re also very open to constructive criticism. We got a lot of that by watching the film with audiences who had no involvement in the film’s production – you rapidly learn what works and what doesn’t. Before we had our first festival screening we’d shown it in a few places to people other than friends and family and that was absolutely invaluable. We cut a 24 minute short down to 14 minutes. We learned that what’s funny on paper or even funny in performance isn’t always funny within the context of the rest of the film. Pacing, pacing pacing.

This short was a huge learning experience for us. We’ve taken the lessons we’ve learned and are applying them to more shorts. We’ve produced one more Post-Lifers short, another short horror comedy that’s just starting its festival run now and completed principal photography on another Post-Lifers short a few short weeks ago, hopefully to be edited and available soon.
We ended up with a large budget for a film of this length primarily because we wanted the makeup EFX to look great. The masks are all good quality silicone and our intent was that we could re-use that initial EFX investment in other shorts, which we are doing now.

Our poster design was done by a very talented artist name James Riehl, we felt his cartoony style really fit in with the tone of the film:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
As some of you might know, I am producing a film called TIGER HOUSE - there is a dedicated thread for it, but I thought I'd draw your attention to it here (with mod approval!)

We did consider using kickstarter or similar, but didn't think that we'd really be able to raise much for a first-time director. We were also concerned that the cast and their agents might have thought that we were cheapening the film/them to a degree. That will not be the case in many kickstarter projects, especially with unknown cast members.

The teaser that the director did for the film, before I came on board, can be found here if you'd like to get a sense of what the film is about :
http://www.tomdaley.co.uk/?page_id=118

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

My friends and I are in the middle of a Kickstarter campaign for a female-centric, psychological horror film called "Still" that we've worked our dicks off on so far.

We're hardcore cinephiles outside of Horror, but we're also way into the genre. We're way into the older stuff primarily (more about that in a second), though we hang in there for the flashes of brilliance that still shake out (Nacho Vigalondo of Timecrimes, who we love, recently tweeted about this kickstarter, for example. All hail.).

Still is our first full-length feature after a handful of shorts that have done well locally here in Chicago and on the horror festival circuit. Inspired by the dreamlike, female-centric psychological spate of horror flicks that sprung up in the seventies - Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Romero's Season of the Witch, and The Witch Who Came From the Sea being primary references - our film is really creating something subtle, emotional, and legitimately unsettling in a horror scene that's largely lost those virtues in favor of lazy remakes, CG blood, and Juggalo sensibilities.

Central to our plot, presentation, and title is the idea of motion blindness, wherein an afflicted person - our protagonist - sees the world as a series of still images after suffering brain trauma. Once this occurs in our plot, all of our female protagonist's POV is presented as a series of still images that refresh each time she blinks - think La Jetee (Chris Marker's amazing sci-fi short that was remade by Terry Gilliam as Twelve Monkeys) meets Enter the Void. The way we've done this is pretty awesome and becomes a big part of the film's style as it goes along.

We're obsessive craftsmen in a film world that's gotten increasingly cheap, digital, and one-click. There's a reason that "classic" horror feels so much more palpably real and effective - dancing film grain, the subtle distortions of audio tape, in-camera effects, fake blood that's actually splattering on the set instead of in a plugin, old analog synthesizer soundtracks - these things go a long way to creating that loving magic. Remember the first time you saw Eraserhead? We're doing our damnedest to get there by honoring all of these techniques when it would be faster, easier, and cheaper to opt for the one-click solutions. We're shooting on not just a DSLR but 8mm, 16mm, and 35mm film (via the weirdo Lomokino camera for that last one) for various segments and effects, and we're also using both analog (medium format) and digital still photography for the aforementioned "motion blindness" parts. My score (more on that below) is composed entirely on a 1970's modular analog synthesizer like the ones that John Carpenter and Fabio Frizzi used in their classic scores and recorded onto analog tape. We're determined to do this stuff with the level of craft that we love and that inspired as as wide-eyed kids in the eighties.

My role - we're a small enough gang that we all do pretty much everything we possibly can on these projects, but for this one my primary role is composer, sound design/editing/mix, film editor, and I also jumped in and played a small role when we had an amazing location for just one day and the person we had lined up couldn't do it. We get it done, man!

I'm so sick of kickstarters where people don't want to put their skin in the game but instead expect the world to pay for their dream to come true. We're only asking for $6K to help us get over that finish line because we've already spent every last cent and leveraged every possible resource to get this thing done and do it right. We're over halfway there!

Transistor Rhythm fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 31, 2013

rabbitroom
Nov 1, 2013
I just signed up for an account to confirm everything Transistor Rhythm said above; I'm also running that Kickstarter and working on the film. Glad to discuss or answer any questions about it!

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Sizzle reel is the wrong phrase, but it kinda stylistically looks a bit like the tv show Banshee, which is a plus.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yo Vargo. Interesting idea for a thread :) and I fully support it (not that this matters :fap: )

Ive done some work on low/no budgets in the past and I always plan on having a hand at helping low/no budgets in the future. My time is limited but I would be willing to help the "right" projects. What I mean by right project is something with proper vision and good execution. Technical limitations are OK if used in interesting ways. Live inside the tech box you have ;)

Still looks good. An interesting idea ;) What is the total running time of the project? Is it a short or feature length?

If I were to give a criticism it would be you need some color correction in those digital shots. I know you shot it on different things and a lot of it looks good as is (and the idea of seeing from different lenses so to speak Is artistically interesting) but some of the dslr shots needs something done. Im not a colorist so I couldn't tell you what exactly. ;)

If you are going for feature length and looking to make a sell-able product please do some research into what most distribution will want in regards to deliverables. And please feel free to contact me if you want any creative sound ideas. Its great you are doing your own compositions and everything but sometimes we get so far into or own rabbit holes its good to have fresh, experienced and creative ears on something.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

rabbitroom posted:

I just signed up for an account to confirm everything Transistor Rhythm said above; I'm also running that Kickstarter and working on the film. Glad to discuss or answer any questions about it!

I'd like to PM or email you with some questions and comments on financing and distribution.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Jst0rm posted:

Still looks good. An interesting idea ;) What is the total running time of the project? Is it a short or feature length?

Thanks! It's a feature, but we're not sure yet what it'll clock in yet. We're aiming to keep it sane - pacing is everything, and I feel like that's the number one thing that people screw up.

quote:

If I were to give a criticism it would be you need some color correction in those digital shots. I know you shot it on different things and a lot of it looks good as is (and the idea of seeing from different lenses so to speak Is artistically interesting) but some of the dslr shots needs something done. Im not a colorist so I couldn't tell you what exactly. ;)

For sure. That's a big goal of our kickstarter - to cover the color job to bring everything together and really "finish" the look. We're talking to a few people about it right now who have done work that we like.

quote:

If you are going for feature length and looking to make a sell-able product please do some research into what most distribution will want in regards to deliverables. And please feel free to contact me if you want any creative sound ideas. Its great you are doing your own compositions and everything but sometimes we get so far into or own rabbit holes its good to have fresh, experienced and creative ears on something.

Thanks! I guess this is as good a time as any to upgrade so I can do PM's. I have a ton of ambitious ideas for the audio because I worship at the altar of people like Alan Splet, and I'm a recording and mix engineer by trade.

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001

therattle posted:

I'd like to PM or email you with some questions and comments on financing and distribution.

Financing and distribution, the how's and where's, could easily have its own thread :) We'd like to graduate to doing features, but getting money to do them and knowing where and to whom to sell them afterwards is beyond us.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

DeathTongue posted:

Financing and distribution, the how's and where's, could easily have its own thread :)

It could, but let's keep it in here. If anyone posts some really good basic information, some like "Duh" explanation or like FAQ stuff, I will gladly add it to the OP. I'd be fine if this thread turned into a collaborative communication tool for all aspiring goon-filmmakers.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Oh whats up Transistor Rhythm?

e: I fully plan on pledging to the kickstarter, just haven't gotten around to it.

foodfight fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 5, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DeathTongue posted:

Financing and distribution, the how's and where's, could easily have its own thread :) We'd like to graduate to doing features, but getting money to do them and knowing where and to whom to sell them afterwards is beyond us.

It does: the Film Business thread! My Tiger House thread also goes into some detail on it, but that is project-specific.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Thanks! I guess this is as good a time as any to upgrade so I can do PM's. I have a ton of ambitious ideas for the audio because I worship at the altar of people like Alan Splet, and I'm a recording and mix engineer by trade.

PM me when you do. I've got some distribution ideas.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

therattle posted:

It does: the Film Business thread! My Tiger House thread also goes into some detail on it, but that is project-specific.

...Ignore what I said earlier. I am a dumb mod and forgot the threads in my forum.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

foodfight posted:

Oh whats up Transistor Rhythm?

e: I fully plan on pledging to the kickstarter, just haven't gotten around to it.

Haha hey, dude.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
I think I've shared these on SA before, over in the Creative Convention thread, but I might as well put them here as well.

Safe Haven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHL9ayClCUY
This was my first real attempt at writing and directing a short film. It's a thriller about a couple hiding out at a farm house.
Honestly, it's not the greatest thing out there. I haven't directed anything since then, but would like to soon. I do feel like I've improved as a writer since then, so there's the bright side.

Hate
http://vimeo.com/70186048
This one I wrote and it was directed by a friend of mine.
Another thriller. Staring Josh from Safe Haven again. (also filmed at the same farm, you can see the house in the background of some shots)
We shot this one about a year after Safe Haven and within a couple days of a year ago today. I'm much happier with what I did with the script.

I've been spending more time writing recently and should have some more short films to post soon. At the moment, I have five shorts I wrote in varying stages of production, each with a different director. Two are currently in post, having both filmed in the same week about a month ago, two are in pre-production, still getting the details hammered down, and the fifth starts filming the day after tomorrow.
Whenever I write a short, I post it to my website at http://stephen.huggard.info/ and let whoever wants to use it do so. (I do take them down once they've been claimed, so I don't have duplicate films running around)
I have a couple features with first drafts finished and a few more getting close, so I hope to be moving in that direction soon.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I'm gonna do my best to make this not look like drive-by, impersonal spamming so bear with me for a few sentences. I'm a stupid newbie who lurked for ages and finally bought an account because I got tired of waiting for the paywall to come down (I like to read people talk about things, sue me) (don't sue me). I made a kickstarter for a movie I wrote and intend to direct. Friends and family aren't funding it quick enough so I'm biting the bullet and doing "publicity" beyond sharing it on facebook and emailing some relatives. I don't like it and you don't like it so let's just power through this.

Nurlington P.I.

Why should you click that link? Because at worst, there's a video where I explain the project and why you should back it. It's 4 minutes long and you might get some laughs out of it. At best you're struck with passion for the film and a beautiful friendship is born. Just about any question you have should be answered on the other side of that link, but I'll give some a shot here if you're wary.

What's it about?
-
A college dropout moves back home. Somewhere in between questioning what she wants to do with herself and moping about how she got to this point, our intrepid protagonist stumbles into a bonafide conspiracy.

What's with the title?
-
Nurlington is a silly name for the fictional small town the story is set in. A P.I. is someone who investigates stuff, often privately.

What genre is this supposed to be?
-
It's a mystery, with both drama and comedy. Mystery dramedy. Mysteramedy? Stop trying to put my art in a box, man

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Crossposted/paraphrased from the Gen Chat thread:

As some other CineDers know, I'm active in the Chicago theatre community (so yes, this isn't strictly a film Kickstarter), and am currently directing a new work for a small storefront space in the Wicker Park area called Ephebophilia. This used to be under the blanket of the theatre company I was a member of, but after a failed attempt to oust a hostile, unstable artistic director with litigious parents, the company was forced to dissolve after we'd already cast actors and hired designers, as well as reserved the space. To that end, we're producing it independently and doing our best to cover expenditures by crowdsourcing the money. As per goon demand (and mod approval), here's the link to the Indiegogo page!

It's the giving season, and any little thing will help - the play is absolutely happening, but this will allow a half-dozen poor twentysomethings to not go into massive debt in the process. Anything you could give would help, and one perk even allows you to pick the movie and guest on Alcohollywood!

quote:

Ephebophilia follows a young couple, Imogen and Jackson, who are on the verge of losing their home in the midst of the 2008 housing crisis. In a desperate attempt to save their house from foreclosure, they decide to find, lure and extort money from unsuspecting sexual predators. Along the way, young Imogen, torn between her real and online identities, searches for the truth in her own relationships. The script for Ephebophilia was a finalist in On the Brink Productions Search For the Next Great (Young) American Playwright, and was a finalist in Quiet Productions New Works Festival.

Ephebophilia is a fascinating new work that blurs the lines between reality and fantasy, as scenes wander seamlessly between the real world and the cold, alienating world of the Internet. Playing with themes of identity, truth and the influence of media on our lives, the characters of the play all search for ways to reconcile who they are with what they can do - a Lolita for the digital age.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I recently started working on something called Ghost Police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9-X9PzQB78

A lot of projects I wanted to work on this year fell apart due to time, budget or commitment constraints, and I really needed something silly and off-kilter to cleanse the palette and remind me I was still capable of finishing something. I'd love to see what you guys think of it. I must admit for its flaws it did me good making it. I feel like I can get back to working on bigger stuff now, although I want to make at least one more episode just to demonstrate the lessons I learned even on this small, silly, self-indulgent little thing. If I do make more, the jokes will be more scripted and a bit less improv-y/meta, this is very web-show-y and I'd like to try my hand at doing things more professionally. It's fun to experiment with aesthetics :)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This isn't really MINE per-say, but I am helping out on it as Assistant Director and am friends with the producer, writer, and director. It's a sci-fi drama short that they're working on for their final project at film school and are trying to raise a bit of money for. Figured I'd help them out a bit and post this here, it's one of the better put together of these at least from our school, as the producer knows what the hell she's doing.

By the way, it's flexible funding because no matter what it's going to get made, but the higher the budget the better the final product will be. Tuition covers paying the actors and most gear, but while we've got a pretty good selection available to us from the school most projects end up spending at least a few hundreds getting additional stuff from rental houses. And the school doesn't help pay for props, costuming, locations, or any of that. If you could take a look at it I'm sure they'd all be pretty grateful.

In the near future they're going to shoot an in universe commercial that will be added to the pitch video, but all they have right now is your standard "interviews with the crew" thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlkeuTlGKrQ

A Reader IndieGoGo

HighHobo
Aug 23, 2012
ShortFilm we had to do in under two weeks in college. We had to shoot everything in 48hours and then we had 120hours for all the post-production. It's entirely shot with DSLR. It was our first project as a team and we'll probably make another more serious project before the end of the semester. We had an imposed subject which was : Parallels. We decided to go with an experimental approach showing a man overwhelmed by the immensity of the city-life who can't handle the pressure even after leaving the city. Here it is :

Canon + Neige
https://vimeo.com/86963070

PastPerfect
Nov 23, 2004

Rocking it out with my 60hz Hum

Nap Ghost
Cross post from Film Business

So, I've been working on a few TV formats over the past year and taking some meetings around town (LA)and I'm finally at a point where I'm gaining interest on a few of my concepts. I have a production company right now offering me an option agreement for a few of them but I'm kinda stuck. I'm still without representation from an agency so it limits who is willing to work with me and because I have not been able to sell something no agent is willing to rep me. It's a loving catch-22.
I'm setting up a meeting with my ent. lawyer this week to have them review the option but I keep getting the nagging sensation that my interests and wallet would be better served if I had an agent who knew the ins and outs.
Has anyone else run into this situation? What did you have to do to finally get an agent or how did you manage to work without one?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
This isn't technically MINE, but it's my little brother. He makes horror movies out of LEGO, mostly based on HP Lovecraft short stories. I did the voice acting for From Beyond but mostly I provide ideas and moral support. Check them out here: https://www.youtube.com/user/LovecraftianLEGO

This is probably my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCTc3xhwe64

I starred in the music video for Ginger Baker from the Wildhearts' side project, Mutation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5iuJRt25Jo (I'm the creepy looking guy crucifying the wrestler). My friend directed it in a weekend, and it was pretty fun.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
poo poo wrong thread

TwoDogs1Cup fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 15, 2014

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
Hey film folks!
This is my first short film I shot early 2012 here in Vancouver, BC. It did the festival circuit and won an award from the CANADA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL. I would love for you folks to sit back, crack a beer and give it a shot. Please, share the link, post on Facebook, I could use any exposure as it is going live and public for the first time today.

I have a couple exciting projects in the works and I can't wait to share them with you. For now, please enjoy.
Feel free to ask me any questions or critique the film. It is not a perfect film, as it was my first, but I learnt a lot and would love to share more about it with you. I work in the film industry here in Vancouver, BC and am lucky to have a job that allows me to fund these projects, hoping for a big break one day.

"The comforts of home are sacred, sweet and beloved. Mark had all of that... a beautiful wife, an angelic daughter, a purpose. His role was simple: To provide and protect. There was just one problem. Mark never learned how to stand up for himself. He lacked self-confidence and avoided confrontation for his entire life. For the most part, his fears went unnoticed and he was able to cloak his nervousness, until the day that everything around him changed. Mark finds himself in the middle of a very dark and terrifying predicament and is left with only one choice. He can stand up and fight, or lay down and die."

Shot in Vancouver BC with lots of local talent and professional industry crew such as the Director of Photography, Peter Wilke (2012, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, A-Team). It won a CANADA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL Royal Reel Award, and was an Official Selection for New Orleans Horror Film Festival, Midnight Black Festival of Darkness and London Best Shorts. Shot on the Panavision Genesis camera, the film oozes production value and ends with a very satisfying finale.

PLEASE WATCH IN HD AND FULLSCREEN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3oYQBivk1o
[/quote]

B-Hard
Feb 23, 2012

Are you talking to me or my ass?
I just finished working on the first episode of a series I've been working on for some time now. It's a documentary series of sorts called "No Small Parts," and it's about character actors. The first episode focuses on Anne Ramsey, known for playing Mama Fratelli in The Goonies and Mrs. Lift in Throw Momma From The Train. Any criticism is appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCffnFYbsDA

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

B-Hard posted:

I just finished working on the first episode of a series I've been working on for some time now. It's a documentary series of sorts called "No Small Parts," and it's about character actors. The first episode focuses on Anne Ramsey, known for playing Mama Fratelli in The Goonies and Mrs. Lift in Throw Momma From The Train. Any criticism is appreciated.

This is awesome and I want you to continue with it and I will promote the poo poo out of it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

B-Hard posted:

This is pretty excellent. It does feel a little unfocused at times and there all also times where the tone is kind of too lose (like it feels like you're just looking stuff up on the internet as you go along) but overall this is a really informative interesting piece that tackles a subject that I would watch a whole lot of. Also I'm not gonna lie and claim I didn't choke up a few times. Please make more. Been a fan of you since you posted re-enactments on youtube (I think I found you when I was looking for that monologue in First Contact and you your video showed up) and I'm always interested when you show up. Keep up the good work.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Oh wow yeah I saw your Sam Hyde reenactment, rad, the video also, rad

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

B-Hard posted:

This is great. It could use a little tightening, particularly on some of the longer clips and quotes - I feel when you read a quote you should try to limit it to one or two sentences, particularly when you're in the middle of a sequence that's already rolling along. But I love the feeling that you're trying to not only give these people their due but humanize them and people like them. I'm looking forward to more episodes.

Also I'm really glad you touched on Meet the Hollowheads, which is something everyone needs to be subjected to at least once.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I likewise think it's fantastically done. My one complaint is that there's quite a few spots where there's no pause between two paragraphs, and it ends up sounding a bit odd. Even a half-second pause would help without adding too much length. I look forwards to your next videos!

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

B-Hard posted:

Are you doing the VO? 'Cause the VO is pretty good. This episode is pretty good.

edit: that ending is very respectful and good, kudos.

spaceships fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 30, 2014

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I ventured out of my bookmarked threads for the first time in years to compliment this episode.

It's very good. Make more.

I'm going back inside now.

From the Dorkside
Jan 5, 2012
Hello Everyone, my friend and fellow filmmaker Roy Berkeley has recently launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise money for a short he's trying to shoot in the fall. It is an anthology horror movie which focuses on a young woman who discovers a mysterious movie viewing device that has the unfortunate side effect of altering her perception of reality.

The film will feature Erin Brown a.k.a. Misty Mundae in the lead role.

Here's the link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/inside-the-armoire

If there are any questions, comments, or criticisms I'd be glad to field them here!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

From the Dorkside posted:

Hello Everyone, my friend and fellow filmmaker Roy Berkeley has recently launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise money for a short he's trying to shoot in the fall. It is an anthology horror movie which focuses on a young woman who discovers a mysterious movie viewing device that has the unfortunate side effect of altering her perception of reality.

The film will feature Erin Brown a.k.a. Misty Mundae in the lead role.

Here's the link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/inside-the-armoire

If there are any questions, comments, or criticisms I'd be glad to field them here!

Is there any chance of changing this to be a sequel to Playmate of the Apes, my personal favorite Misty Mundae film?

From the Dorkside
Jan 5, 2012
Um. . . nope sorry, the concept is pretty much locked down.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Number one critique: no one fucks a monkey.

But no really with a 5k goal and flex funding it sounds like there's a disconnect between 'kitschy 80's cheese' and 'lovely looking shoestring' so not super enthused by the prospect of the final product to begin with.

From the Dorkside
Jan 5, 2012
:smugjones:

Well, hell you're right I guess. We better pack it in and not even bother making a movie. How silly of us. It's not like the cast and crew have experience on scores of different sets, an experienced cinematographer is shooting this on a black magic camera, or that we've already got a prop master working on the most heavily-involved aspects of P.D.

Nope, we only ever planned to shoot this thing with a camcorder, no lights, completely ADR-ed audio, and a very weak grasp on editing and camera set ups.

Woe betide the idiots who undertook this foolish endeavor.

:negative:

From the Dorkside fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 17, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Why did you even ask for comments?

Maybe I wasn't clear? My point was right now you got $650, pretend the funding process ends entirely right now and that's all you get, does the movie not get made, where does that money go? What happens to the other $4500 you got 'secured' already? What's the $9000 grand total budget going to at the end of the day? I'm just kinda used to dudes being all 'yea man it's like a total homage to old sci fi movies' and use that as an excuse to use lovely dollar store props like we're supposed to go 'oh I get it this looks like poo poo on purpose'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

From the Dorkside
Jan 5, 2012
Well I was hoping for comments beyond the typical, sardonic, "hurr it looks dumb, and they're ideas about X,Y, and Z are undefined so this must be crap."

I do think you were being unclear, to the extent that the criticisms you're levying against the project are about as valid as any comment made on the internet about something that hasn't fully gotten off the ground yet. I do appreciate a healthy amount of skepticism, but if you're not prepared to give the project the benefit of a doubt than, there's really only so much I can say to try and convince you of it's merit isn't there?

To address the questions you have regarding how the money will be spent:

1. If the movie doesn't reach its funding goal it still gets made, though with a Director who pays substantially more out of pocket, and less-well paid, and likely over-taxed (and therefore more pissed off, and less attentive) crew.

2. The funding is going primarily towards paying actors' salaries, the rental of camera equipment, and the construction of props that will be used in the film (the Armoire device that the movie takes it's namesake from, being one example.).

• Locked thread