Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I was wondering, is there such a thing as a crowdfunding site for particularly smaller-scale short film projects? I am aware of Stage 32 and JuntoBox and so on and so forth, but those sites/communities tend to work much like Kickstarter, in that the projects' target budgets are usually at least $500 and up. The short I am currently working on is a production that, even when factoring in having extra in case of emergencies, only needs a maximum of, like, $150 more before the target budget is fully realized. I realize that's a minuscule amount of money to ask the Internet for help with to most folks, and seems like a tiny budget, but the actual case is that everyone involved in the project has already put in every bit that they can afford, and now we're at this weird spot with the budget where we're nearly nothing away from having it funded, but can't start shooting until we get over this last hump and can rent all the equipment and secure some more music.

I cannot even wrap my mind around what it must be like trying to gather investors to fund larger independent films that do find themselves with Kickstarter campaigns of $10k+.It's been an uphill struggle, tooth and nail just to get as far as we've gotten at this point, and when all is said and done, it's probably the easiest one I'll ever have to find funding for. The whole miserable process is simply draining, but I love it.

As for the short itself, I can elaborate more if anyone here is actually interested i hearing about it or potentially helping out, but really this post is more concerned with the best way to go about getting this small sum needed to finish the budget. Even if it were practical to use a Kickstarter-esque site to crowd-source the funding, making sure people get incentive rewards for donating would probably run the needed budget up an unnecessary extra sum, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread