Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Okay, everyone, I've been re-considering the rules we have in CineD regarding promoting original works, so I decided the best thing to do would be to create one place where you can all ask for feedback, promote your films, tell us where we can see them, beg for money/pimp your kickstarters, etc. This is the thread to do it in, all other threads will be closed to keep them from cluttering up the forum.

But first some rules:

1: Don't be a dick when it comes to accepting criticism. Remember, you came to this site for feedback and advice, so you have to accept what you're given. You can of course refute their points, explain your methods, and choose not to take the advice, but don't throw a temper tantrum over what a misunderstood little genius you are.

2: Similarly, try to put a little effort into your criticisms. "Ugh that sucks" isn't doing anyone any good. You can be as harsh as you want, but make sure you actually have something to say that the creators can use or consider. "This is a zombie movie and I'm tired of zombies" isn't very helpful to anyone unless you suggest ways they can change the zombies.

3: NO FANFILMS. We already had a fan film thread and it was silly. Original characters do not steal only.

4: Pimping your Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/whatever is fine, but remember, you're begging for money. You're going to have a much easier time of it if you establish yourself in this thread first, comment on some other people's work, let us know you're an all-around cool person. Also, this is just common sense, but you should at least have a mock trailer or a portfolio sample or something. Let us know why we should give you our :tenbux:

BUT WHAT IF I WAAAANT MY OWN THREAD?

If you still want a specialized thread, the same rules as before apply. PM me a draft of the OP for approval, and be aware that I will be judging these much more harshly than before we had this thread. For an idea of the bare minimum amount of effort I would expect, see this thread. All specialized threads MUST be completed projects, no works in progress, and preferably they've gotten or are in the process of obtaining distribution, or are at least on the festival circuit.

Other than that, go hog wild! Tell us about your lovely YouTube series! Let's all embrace like brothers and mock one another's hard work endlessly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

DeathTongue posted:

Financing and distribution, the how's and where's, could easily have its own thread :)

It could, but let's keep it in here. If anyone posts some really good basic information, some like "Duh" explanation or like FAQ stuff, I will gladly add it to the OP. I'd be fine if this thread turned into a collaborative communication tool for all aspiring goon-filmmakers.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

therattle posted:

It does: the Film Business thread! My Tiger House thread also goes into some detail on it, but that is project-specific.

...Ignore what I said earlier. I am a dumb mod and forgot the threads in my forum.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

B-Hard posted:

I just finished working on the first episode of a series I've been working on for some time now. It's a documentary series of sorts called "No Small Parts," and it's about character actors. The first episode focuses on Anne Ramsey, known for playing Mama Fratelli in The Goonies and Mrs. Lift in Throw Momma From The Train. Any criticism is appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCffnFYbsDA

This is awesome and I want you to continue with it and I will promote the poo poo out of it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Man, if you can't even be interesting enough to provide a good, old-fashioned internet meltdown for our entertainment, then what good are you?

This is uninteresting and self-important, and that's how this movie looks too. Enough.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Y'know what, I am actually willing to give this the benefit of the doubt, because it seems like a decent enough concept, but you are really, really setting yourslf up for something generic when you have potential for something decent. (Or "better than it has any right to be.")

Based off of just skimming that description, please, please please, ditch the "sensible responsible girl who leads the wacky boys" trope. Go see the movie Neighbors for an explanation why this is annoying and why it's so funny to see it broken. It's also seriously short-changing your female actress, and saying you don't want to bother really writing a female character, so you're giving her the straight-man role, because that's easy to write.

The one thing that's going to save this is by making us really care about these characters. You've already reduced them to basically one-note jokes in your decriptions, so to keep this from going stale, you need to push the character development very fast. Android-wants-to-be-an-actor is a gag which could possibly only be funny one or two times. For example, is the unicorn gay? Is that the big secret? Then just make him gay. Maybe all unicorns are gay. Whatever. Maybe everyone knows already. "Gay unicorn overcompensating by muscledom-broness" is a little funny. "Unicorn comes out as gay, but is ALSO actually just a muscledom-bro" is very funny. (I'm totally guessing here, by the way.)

My point is, if you want people to care about this, you really need to put some thought into how you want these characters to come across, and you need to make people feel that very soon. I'd recommend checking out pretty much anything Phil Lord and Chris Miller have done, but especially Clone High, to see how it's possible to take characters who could be one-joke into more developed people.

Also, holy crap, someone needs to re-write that PR blurb. Do NOT do the whole "We're just kids playing with sticks" thing. It issuper-pretentious.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
See, this gives me hope, it seems like you guys actually kinda know what you're doing. I'm interested in this project a little more now.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm going to pimp a kickstarter set up by a very close friend of mine from college. It's a short film about zombies (stay with me here) minus the zombies. It's essentially the story of what happens AFTER the zombies are destroyed, the human population has been decimated, people are trying to get back to their lives, but they're still paranoid, ready to shoot at will, and afraid that everyone they meet can still be carriers. Expect political parallels.

Jacob is a good friend of mine, and a talented director and I did some notes on some VERY early stages of the script several years ago, he's been working on this passion project for a long time. The nice thing is that the film is already made, principal photography is done, he's looking for some funding so he can hire professionals to do the visual effects and sound design. He's probably not going to make the goal, but I'm going to push this anyway:

Here's the Kickstarter, skip to about 1:30 to see footage from the film itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

B-Hard posted:

I guess I could. And yes, definitely aware of his history on SA. I already got approval to start a thread about my "No Small Parts" series, I could ask for this one too. I'm thinking I should wait until we release the full film on YouTube to do that, though.

The documentary is a short, about 26 minutes long. Our goal with it is to get some amount of funding and make a full-length.

Permission granted.

• Locked thread