Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

My friends and I are in the middle of a Kickstarter campaign for a female-centric, psychological horror film called "Still" that we've worked our dicks off on so far.

We're hardcore cinephiles outside of Horror, but we're also way into the genre. We're way into the older stuff primarily (more about that in a second), though we hang in there for the flashes of brilliance that still shake out (Nacho Vigalondo of Timecrimes, who we love, recently tweeted about this kickstarter, for example. All hail.).

Still is our first full-length feature after a handful of shorts that have done well locally here in Chicago and on the horror festival circuit. Inspired by the dreamlike, female-centric psychological spate of horror flicks that sprung up in the seventies - Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Romero's Season of the Witch, and The Witch Who Came From the Sea being primary references - our film is really creating something subtle, emotional, and legitimately unsettling in a horror scene that's largely lost those virtues in favor of lazy remakes, CG blood, and Juggalo sensibilities.

Central to our plot, presentation, and title is the idea of motion blindness, wherein an afflicted person - our protagonist - sees the world as a series of still images after suffering brain trauma. Once this occurs in our plot, all of our female protagonist's POV is presented as a series of still images that refresh each time she blinks - think La Jetee (Chris Marker's amazing sci-fi short that was remade by Terry Gilliam as Twelve Monkeys) meets Enter the Void. The way we've done this is pretty awesome and becomes a big part of the film's style as it goes along.

We're obsessive craftsmen in a film world that's gotten increasingly cheap, digital, and one-click. There's a reason that "classic" horror feels so much more palpably real and effective - dancing film grain, the subtle distortions of audio tape, in-camera effects, fake blood that's actually splattering on the set instead of in a plugin, old analog synthesizer soundtracks - these things go a long way to creating that loving magic. Remember the first time you saw Eraserhead? We're doing our damnedest to get there by honoring all of these techniques when it would be faster, easier, and cheaper to opt for the one-click solutions. We're shooting on not just a DSLR but 8mm, 16mm, and 35mm film (via the weirdo Lomokino camera for that last one) for various segments and effects, and we're also using both analog (medium format) and digital still photography for the aforementioned "motion blindness" parts. My score (more on that below) is composed entirely on a 1970's modular analog synthesizer like the ones that John Carpenter and Fabio Frizzi used in their classic scores and recorded onto analog tape. We're determined to do this stuff with the level of craft that we love and that inspired as as wide-eyed kids in the eighties.

My role - we're a small enough gang that we all do pretty much everything we possibly can on these projects, but for this one my primary role is composer, sound design/editing/mix, film editor, and I also jumped in and played a small role when we had an amazing location for just one day and the person we had lined up couldn't do it. We get it done, man!

I'm so sick of kickstarters where people don't want to put their skin in the game but instead expect the world to pay for their dream to come true. We're only asking for $6K to help us get over that finish line because we've already spent every last cent and leveraged every possible resource to get this thing done and do it right. We're over halfway there!

Transistor Rhythm fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Jst0rm posted:

Still looks good. An interesting idea ;) What is the total running time of the project? Is it a short or feature length?

Thanks! It's a feature, but we're not sure yet what it'll clock in yet. We're aiming to keep it sane - pacing is everything, and I feel like that's the number one thing that people screw up.

quote:

If I were to give a criticism it would be you need some color correction in those digital shots. I know you shot it on different things and a lot of it looks good as is (and the idea of seeing from different lenses so to speak Is artistically interesting) but some of the dslr shots needs something done. Im not a colorist so I couldn't tell you what exactly. ;)

For sure. That's a big goal of our kickstarter - to cover the color job to bring everything together and really "finish" the look. We're talking to a few people about it right now who have done work that we like.

quote:

If you are going for feature length and looking to make a sell-able product please do some research into what most distribution will want in regards to deliverables. And please feel free to contact me if you want any creative sound ideas. Its great you are doing your own compositions and everything but sometimes we get so far into or own rabbit holes its good to have fresh, experienced and creative ears on something.

Thanks! I guess this is as good a time as any to upgrade so I can do PM's. I have a ton of ambitious ideas for the audio because I worship at the altar of people like Alan Splet, and I'm a recording and mix engineer by trade.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

foodfight posted:

Oh whats up Transistor Rhythm?

e: I fully plan on pledging to the kickstarter, just haven't gotten around to it.

Haha hey, dude.

• Locked thread