Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

General Battuta posted:

We could do that, but I want to ask what people think of Tehanu, which, as noted above, has always been controversial.

I read Tehanu immediately after finishing the first three books of the Earthsea cycle when I was like 14 years old. That was a mistake because I didn't understand it at all and I was horribly disappointed at the drastic shift in tone from the first three. The other books had been about dudes being awesome and this one was just terrible and bleak and nothing happened (it should be noted that I recall greatly enjoying the work of David Eddings roughly around the same time period). I left the Earthsea and le Guin alone after that until I read The Left Hand of Darkness like ten years later and well, it's one of my favorite novels. I still haven't re-read Tehanu though, nor have I read the final two Earthsea books. I really should go fix that. Thanks for reminding me!

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread