Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Looks like Volume 16 was just translated. FRIENDSHIP. And they were nice enough to translate the author's notes this time, so that's cool -- you can see the "Making of" Yowapeda! Originally it seems that the main character was supposed to be a girl, I think it'd have been cool to see that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kinjou just loves his shades huh? Also, Tadokoro seems to be using an eyeguard in the bath.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Putting all that much thought into how the character's wash their hair is so anime it's literally painful.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
ohhhh man don't do that sort of thing Todokoro it'll get you dead

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

paragon1 posted:

ohhhh man don't do that sort of thing Todokoro it'll get you dead

Are you talking about the back of the building scene at the end? I did wonder whether that was just a "man he's really trying super hard and it sure is rough" scene, or a "we should really be worried 'cause he might be giving himself a serious medical problem" scene.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm thinking he might be suffering from heat exhaustion which can lead to heat stroke, which is often fatal. Vomiting and weakness in the limbs are warning signs for that sort of thing.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

I'm thinking he might be suffering from heat exhaustion which can lead to heat stroke, which is often fatal. Vomiting and weakness in the limbs are warning signs for that sort of thing.

I would be beyond blown away if this show turns from shounen sports anime into bleak depression tragedy at the death of their teammate. It'd be one hell of an amazing swerve.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I think at most he's going to collapse in the middle of the race and Naruko has to take over

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 5, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Midosuji- a terrifying, inhuman, potentially demonic being who's greatest ambition is to utterly dominate....a boys' high school cycling invitational(?)

Also- I can't imagine Tadokoro dying. Not on this show. Worst case scenario, he gets heat stroke, collapses, can't race, and it's up to the first-years and their burning spirit to pick up the slack and carry the team to the win.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Looks like a 2nd season is coming in October, so the break won't be too long.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
So many fist bumps!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Are we gonna have the whole team sing the Hime song at this point? Tadokoro's already roped in and Imaizumi probably already does it in secret.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
Oh my god that was incredible. This is everything I thought the show would turn out to be when it first started. I spent the entire time Onada and Tadakoro were singing Hime Hime laughing until my sides hurt. Beautiful.

Tuna mayo tuna mayo tuna mayo tuna mayo tuna mayo tuna mayo tuna mayo

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Xelkelvos posted:

Are we gonna have the whole team sing the Hime song at this point? Tadokoro's already roped in and Imaizumi probably already does it in secret.
I just powered through the series on Crunchyroll over the past couple days, and the slow and insidious spread of Love Hime and the Hime song through the team is one of my favorite running jokes.

Also, the appearance of Magician Kinjou in one of the after-credits scenes was amazing.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Roflfox posted:

Tuna mayo tuna mayo tuna mayo tuna mayo tuna mayo tuna mayo tuna mayo
Definitely worth watching that after credits scene... :v:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I'm up to ep 29, and I just love this show and all of its homoeroticness.

Also Midousuji's creepiness creeps me out and I want to see more of his character because of it. GROSS GROSS GROSS GROSS GROSS

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 5, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode! ANDY! FRANK! NOOOO

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

so :3: Also man, this episode is chockfull of wonderful Midosouji faces.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Been flying through this show the past couple days, I think I'm on 9 or 10 right now. This is really a fun show. I think the most involved I've been in a sports manga/anime was something like 50 chapters of eyeshield but this show is really keeping me interested.

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
I haven't watched any anime since I was 16, but I recently rediscovered biking, found a jersey of the Sohoku team online, made research and found Yowamushi Pedal. The story is nice, the characters are great (favorite being Makishima), the animation looks really cool... It's really fun to watch :D

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

This is one of my top anime I've seen. I like the fact that both the hot headed and the cool headed characters aren't the main character, but instead of having big rivalry with the main character both believe in him and want to support him.

The whole mechanics of the team seem a lot more interesting to me than most sports anime. Also the Hime song is hilarious. Watching Onoda pass up everyone while singing it was great.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I thought the leading love triangle in this show was Onoda, Imaizumi, and Naruko, but actually it's Izumida, Andy, and Frank.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Midousuji is my favorite villian ever.

And that after-credits thing was just beautiful.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gnossiennes posted:

Midousuji is my favorite villian ever.

I kind of have the opposite opinion - I think that, personality aside, he's really annoying. He's an amazing sprinter, he's an amazing climber, he's the ace, he's a tactician, he can plan down to the second in hour + long races... it's boring. If he didn't act so loving crazy, he'd be one of the most boring villains ever.

Meanwhile, I really like the Hakon team as villains, because they're another team, in a team sport.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

KittyEmpress posted:

I kind of have the opposite opinion - I think that, personality aside, he's really annoying. He's an amazing sprinter, he's an amazing climber, he's the ace, he's a tactician, he can plan down to the second in hour + long races... it's boring. If he didn't act so loving crazy, he'd be one of the most boring villains ever.

I have hope we're about to learn more about him, he was saying something in the latest episode about "carrying a heavier burden" than the bunny-sprinter dude. Sounds like he may have some actual character issues other than just being cartoonishly crazy/evil.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Meanwhile, I really like the Hakon team as villains, because they're another team, in a team sport.
I'm in the same boat. Ever since Midousuji showed up I haven't liked him as a villain; he feels really cheap. As far as the most recent translated chapter in the Manga the guy is drat near Aizen in his ability to plan ahead of everyone. Not to mention his art design makes him look freakishly inhuman and his mannerisms are really annoying.

I hope they do something to balance him out because right now, Midousuji is one of the worst parts of this race and it feels like it should have strictly been Hakone vs Sohoku.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Attention, fellow biking comrades!

May this song give you strength -- the strength it takes to climb every hill and race down every slope!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TbGLHo18hs

-- by the way, next time Zorak does an ADTRW Karaoke singathon we should totally suggest this! :neckbeard:

EDIT: Of course, it isn't quite the same without Onoda singing enthusiastically and off-key.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 18, 2014

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
When Tadokoro and Onoda sang together while getting back to the group, it was very :3:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
This continues to be the best show about best bros, and the scene where the team was reunited was fantastic :neckbeard:

That said, I agree that Midousuji is boring as hell. He's entertaining as a weird rear end in a top hat, but having him be the best at everything and pulling bullshit out of nowhere (that finish) is not doing anything for me. I don't even hate it, it's just a "Yes, yes, of course he did. Can we get back to someone interesting?" reaction.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
They haven't done his backstory in the anime yet? He's one of my favourite characters.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Zombie Chow posted:

When Tadokoro and Onoda sang together while getting back to the group, it was very :3:

Seriously, that is my top moment from the entire show so far. It was great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

darkgray posted:

They haven't done his backstory in the anime yet? He's one of my favourite characters.

No. No they haven't.

Let me guess- is he possessed?

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof

:getin:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Zero_Tactility posted:

That said, I agree that Midousuji is boring as hell. He's entertaining as a weird rear end in a top hat, but having him be the best at everything and pulling bullshit out of nowhere (that finish) is not doing anything for me. I don't even hate it, it's just a "Yes, yes, of course he did. Can we get back to someone interesting?" reaction.
I figured Midousjui as a side-character. An interesting, creepy, and annoying counterpoint to the other team(s) being the real threat. I didn't expect him to get as much traction as he has. Overall, he's just plain annoying. After building up Onoda's relationship with that other climber from the other team and the other rivalries, he's just plain in the way of an otherwise really good story.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Maybe it wasn't meant that way, but I think that's part of what makes him a good villain. He's a hyper-competitive dude with no scruples. Everything is creepy, awkward, unpleasant and unfun when he's around, he even fucks up the plotlines!

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I like him because he makes a good heel to root against, and provides the story with alternative methods to winning races that our honorable rival teams wouldn't stoop to like really really personal psychological attacks. I don't watch the anime but in the manga his faces are gold. It's not like you won't get the inevitable battle between the two teams that really matter, it'll be fun to see them go against someone else first.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

FAT BATMAN posted:

I like him because he makes a good heel to root against, and provides the story with alternative methods to winning races that our honorable rival teams wouldn't stoop to like really really personal psychological attacks. I don't watch the anime but in the manga his faces are gold. It's not like you won't get the inevitable battle between the two teams that really matter, it'll be fun to see them go against someone else first.

They combine his horrifying faces/poses with super-creepy sound effects, and his voice is goddamn perfect for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One season down, show returns in the fall. Kind of funny how they tried to turn this episode into a season finale despite literally two thing happening, but that's par for the course.

• Locked thread