Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Every good sport deserves a good anime and Yowapeda (Yowamushi Pedal) is cycling's anime. A shouen manga adaptation by TMS, the suitably silly premise centers on Sakamichi Onoda, a friendless otaku who got in the habit of biking 40km a week to Akihabara as a middle schooler. This habit has a side effect of making him a very good cyclist, and he's scouted by a member of the cycling club once he enters high school. He goes on to not only learn how to bike faster, but also make friends! :buddy:

As you might guess, this show doesn't mess with the formula countless other boy's sports shows have done before, but it doesn't really need to. It's clear that the writers know at least enough about bikes to make a show about them, and the inevitable drawn out explanations of why one character is going faster now or why they're slowing down makes sense. The show also knows exactly when to exaggerate something, such a moment where Onoda shifts gears for the first time and the screen flashes as if he activated some kind of magical power. There's also a nice cast of weirdos based off of different aspects of cycling.

I don't know poo poo about cycling, but to my eye the show is serious about getting the sport right while at the same time not taking itself too seriously. If that sounds like a good time to you, check it out!

Streaming on Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Taking bets on how long the beginners road race is going to take. My guess is the rest of the season. And I will enjoy every episode :buddy:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New ep! We aren't even up the hill yet but we've already introduced three side characters, and got a monologue about how bicycles are a motorcycle powered by the heart. When informed that it will likely be impossible for him to catch up with everyone else, the main character made Shinji face. I love this poo poo.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 18, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New ep! THEY DIDN'T EVEN MAKE IT UP THE MOUNTAIN :lol:. The pace does work, largely because they never repeat themselves in the same episode, so all is good. Imaizumi's best friend is a bicycle.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Couple episodes ago but...

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I haven't beenosting about it much but this show is stil really good. This week was particularly good because the villain introduction is kind of wonderful.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Character doesn't speak for a season an a half and the first thing out of his mouth:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I've been watching this show since the beginning and just wanted to pop in and say that it's just about the gayest thing.

There's really no other way to describe it.

Gay sports anime is basically it's own genre. As gay as Yowamushi Pedal is, it has nothing on Oofuri. It's a baseball anime that focuses on the relationship between a timid yet talented pitcher and a strong willed catcher. One plotline has the catcher afraid that the pitcher will return to his old team, despite the fact that they don't appreciate the pitcher the way as he does.

So yea, gay sports anime is basically the best.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pandaK posted:

I resent your accusations that such bonds forged through pure shonen burning spirits could be anything besides transcending the concepts of homogay into something even greater.

There is no bond greater than sports anime gay :colbert:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mentioned it before, but the king of sports anime gay is Oofuri

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New ep! Very glad to see we've gotten to the point where a character ditches a woman who's obviously into him to go ride bicycles.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

same

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Which one?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RIP abs

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New ep up! That was a thing of beauty.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know he's evil because the shonen spirit BURNS HIM

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This weeks episode is up! It was perfect. I mean, they stretched way longer than should work and it was stupid as hell, but god it was really just about the perfect combination of rival love and hate. It was funny and gay and basically the best.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This episode was stupid even by Yowapeda standards and I love it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No Bepsi, Cole.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Putting all that much thought into how the character's wash their hair is so anime it's literally painful.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode! ANDY! FRANK! NOOOO

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I thought the leading love triangle in this show was Onoda, Imaizumi, and Naruko, but actually it's Izumida, Andy, and Frank.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One season down, show returns in the fall. Kind of funny how they tried to turn this episode into a season finale despite literally two thing happening, but that's par for the course.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFS0zvGsEI0

Okay, so whoever's in charge of the Yowamushi Pedal sponsor messages went the extra mile.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Trying to think of a title for the new season thread. Ideas:

• Yowapeda (Yowamushi Pedal) GRANDE ROAD - GROSS
  • Yowapeda (Yowamushi Pedal) GRANDE ROAD - Me, an experienced cyclist
  • Yowapeda (Yowamushi Pedal) GRANDE ROAD - How to make friends and defeat your enemies
  • Yowapeda (Yowamushi Pedal) GRANDE ROAD - It's not gay if it's on a bike

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yowamushi Pedal GRANDE ROAD- dewey eyes and throbbing thighs

I think this is a winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! Season starts October 6th.

• Locked thread