Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:asoiaf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
That is freakin amazing

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Swooping in a month later to say the mood lighting is perfect. :eyepop:

Anyway, my own personal white whale is to get a Packard Bell corner computer. A standard, non-wide-base PB tower was My Computer as a teenager, and I loved the hell out of it and was bummed we finally gave it up in 2000 when moving back to the States. I've kind of wanted to own a Packard Pentium for pure nostalgia purposes for a while now, and the corner PC feels like the ultimate expression of their "throw poo poo at the wall and see if it works" ethos in the mid-90s. I'm even kind of tempted to try and use it as a sleeper home for a recent PC build (although it'd absolutely require an all-in-one liquid cooler for the CPU in that form factor, and doing something about rear IO would be a major question mark). Thanks to LGR, Nostalgia Mall and the like, though, as well as just not many of the things being made or surviving into the 2020s, it seems they typically go for $800 or more today, which is a bit more than I want to pay for what'd ultimately be a curiosity.

I might snag a standard tower at some point (or one of those highly cursed wide-bottom ones, which seem to be far more common and have a truly god-damned internal layout) but the corner PC was always one of those things that looked neat, even if I knew it wasn't all that amazing out of the box.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego is the game that got me into computing and gaming.

In the late 80s each classroom at my school had an Apple IIe with a printer, and when it was my turn to use it I always went for this game.

Even today I enjoy playing it on my Apple II. Now I have finally tracked down a boxed copy of the game for the Apple II, pretty much complete:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Being a Minnesotan I have to stan The Oregon Trail. MECC baby.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I regret to be considering installing Win95 OSR2 on an OG Pentium 133 PC. My memory of that era is minimal on the install, but I was surprised to see that "the internet" says that there were not any OEM bootable Win95 CDs.

Anyone aware of someone hacking bootability in to one, for ease of install? Will go on a CF card in an isa/pci slot, prefer to do the install there versus some Virtualbox prep in a VM elsewhere.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you have the appropriate boot floppy image, you should be able to use a CD burning program to import the original CD image, and then add an El Torito boot with that floppy image.

Alternatively, if you can put a basic bootable DOS install on your target CF card, maybe using an emulator, then you could boot that and start the installation from there.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Ill just use a floppy instead, hope the floppy drive works on this. Seems like a lot of questions on using what appears to be the name of a local mexican restauraunt to hack an ISO.

See my 2nd part about your 2nd part - part of the experience is doing the install on the machine and remembering all of that old pain.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

You Am I posted:

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego is the game that got me into computing and gaming.

In the late 80s each classroom at my school had an Apple IIe with a printer, and when it was my turn to use it I always went for this game.

Even today I enjoy playing it on my Apple II. Now I have finally tracked down a boxed copy of the game for the Apple II, pretty much complete:

This kicks rear end & is a lovely copy. The A/V of the later release sticks in my head more, but I played a ton of the DOS version that we had in a stack of loose floppies.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

falz posted:

Seems like a lot of questions on using what appears to be the name of a local mexican restauraunt to hack an ISO.
The El Torito standard is in fact named after the restaurant where the idea was first written up over a lunch between engineers from Phoenix and IBM.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m trying to get Dark Colony running on my P3/Windows 98 SE machine and I’m running into issues with the CD audio. Sometimes a track will play in the skirmish mode but the campaign music is silent. Blood’s CD audio works fine, including with the Dark Colony CD inserted so it plays those tracks instead.

Things I’ve tried:

1) Ensure the drive is at D:
2) Ensure the drive is selected in the CD audio tab in the Multimedia settings in Control Panel
3) Ensure DMA is turned on for the drive in Device Manager
4) Ensure the CD audio volume is all the way up in the volume mixer

Is there anything I’m missing trying to troubleshoot CD audio on Windows 98? I’m out of ideas at this point.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Any chance the audio might be played over the analog output on the CD drive?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Huh, that's an interesting idea. This drive (Lite On 5291S) doesn't have analogue out, though.

I think I may have fixed the issue. I remembered that Dark Colony is finicky about CPU speed so I thought maybe that was messing with the CD playback. I know end-mission cutscenes get interrupted by the game loading too fast so that supports the theory.

I found this program to throttle the CPU speed: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=74359 and now the CD audio is playing during the campaign.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

nielsm posted:

Any chance the audio might be played over the analog output on the CD drive?

Oh poo poo. Is that that extra cable you used to have to run from CD drives to the sound card? I forgot that ever existed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah. Analog CD audio playback was popular for a while in games, since it's basically free for the game: It just has to instruct the CD drive to start playing some track, and then you've got music with zero CPU usage at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh, I got a little mixed up and thought we were talking about drives with headphone jacks on the front. That analog output is what I’m using; the drive is connected to an SB16 with the correct cable (which is why CD audio works in Blood).

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Any general recommendations for square-ish (5:4? 4:3) LCD/IPS panels that aren't huge? On a budget.

There's that retro inspired Checkmate that looks neat but isn't out yet.

Are people just buying those $40ish dell monitors from 15 years ago? Anything specific on Aliexpress or otherwise that's useful, small (can even be idk 9" or so) but have a full monitor frame that isn't just a PCB and CRT?

Bonus if it has VGA input but not expecting it to - figure that's a different problem to solve.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
iPad displays with an adapter board are pretty popular in the MiSTer community, they're 9.7" 4:3 with a native resolution of 2048x1536 and not too expensive. No native analog inputs though so you'd need to have some way to convert your devices to HDMI or DisplayPort. I use one with a Laser Bear Industries VESA mountable case hooked up to my MiSTer and Steam Deck for my 4:3 era emulation needs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

falz posted:

Any general recommendations for square-ish (5:4? 4:3) LCD/IPS panels that aren't huge? On a budget.

There's that retro inspired Checkmate that looks neat but isn't out yet.

Are people just buying those $40ish dell monitors from 15 years ago? Anything specific on Aliexpress or otherwise that's useful, small (can even be idk 9" or so) but have a full monitor frame that isn't just a PCB and CRT?

Bonus if it has VGA input but not expecting it to - figure that's a different problem to solve.

I’ve had a Dell 2007FPB for years that I love. It has Svideo, composite, VGA, and DVI. I paid $60 shipped for it off Amazon eight years ago and it looks like they’re about $100 shipped on eBay which is still a great price imo.

https://a.co/d/cmw6xzH

It’s 20” but I wouldn’t consider it large because the aspect ratio gives it a small footprint.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’ve had a Dell 2007FPB for years that I love. It has Svideo, composite, VGA, and DVI. I paid $60 shipped for it off Amazon eight years ago and it looks like they’re about $100 shipped on eBay which is still a great price imo.

https://a.co/d/cmw6xzH

It’s 20” but I wouldn’t consider it large because the aspect ratio gives it a small footprint.
Interetsing, these seem to be all over eBay for 1hundo. will consider it - really surprised it has composite/svido input too.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

falz posted:

Interetsing, these seem to be all over eBay for 1hundo. will consider it - really surprised it has composite/svido input too.

The only downside to the 2007FP is that it doesn't support 15 kHz.

I have one that I found at Goodwill a few years back, and it's definitely my preferred choice for when I don't want to lug out one of the CRTs.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

The only downside to the 2007FP is that it doesn't support 15 kHz.

I have one that I found at Goodwill a few years back, and it's definitely my preferred choice for when I don't want to lug out one of the CRTs.
If it doesn't support 15khz what signal does it expect from its Composite or Svideo inputs?

For my [current] uses I don't intend to do SD 15khz stuff at least.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

falz posted:

If it doesn't support 15khz what signal does it expect from its Composite or Svideo inputs?

For my [current] uses I don't intend to do SD 15khz stuff at least.

Doesn't support 15 kHz over VGA. Sorry, forgot to add that last part.

Some people claim to have luck with it, but the Amiga people generally say it doesn't support it.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I have this. It has VGA input only, but it support 15KHz so I can use it with my Amiga and it's great for that specific purpose. It would be nice to have some other video inputs.

https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/business/monitor/bl702a/specifications.html

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Need to find a nice black CRT to pair this with, but still flexing the rest of this setup cause drat it is nice to own one of these finally.

The stick is designed and 3d printed by me. Inspired by the XE-1

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That's the computer of the future right there

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

FuturePastNow posted:

That's the computer of the future right there

Yeah I mean just lol if your computer doesn't have a pop-up carrying handle

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Buffis posted:

Yeah I mean just lol if your computer doesn't have a pop-up carrying handle

The Apple IIc stays winning

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Buffis posted:

Need to find a nice black CRT to pair this with, but still flexing the rest of this setup cause drat it is nice to own one of these finally.

The stick is designed and 3d printed by me. Inspired by the XE-1

I just shipped my three dead X68000s to iFixRetro in the hopes at least one of them can be brought into working order.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Yeah these supposedly loving LOVE killing themselves.
This one has been overhauled by some dude prior to me getting it, and supposedly had all caps replaced and whatnot.
Having a lot of fun with it, but a big part of the appeal is definitely how insanely badass they look.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Buffis posted:

This one has been overhauled by some dude prior to me getting it, and supposedly had all caps replaced and whatnot.
Having a lot of fun with it, but a big part of the appeal is definitely how insanely badass they look.

It's the greatest case design in computer history aesthetically and the most nightmarish case design technically.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Got this machine to tinker with and play some older Windows/DOS games

Unfortunately after working fine (apart from the dead clock chip) for several hours it no longer POSTs. The lights and peripherals turn on but nothing happens. Reinserting all the components, swapping memory sticks, and trying a different GPU didn’t help so I’m left hoping that replacing the clock chip brings it back to life.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Buffis posted:

Yeah the big issue is usually the power supply, or battery leakage on some models. I follow a bunch of Japanese retro folks on twitter, and this made me chuckle.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Random Stranger posted:

It's the greatest case design in computer history aesthetically and the most nightmarish case design technically.

Are you talking about this from an electrical engineering perspective?
I’m thinking about how Louis Rossman bitches about Apple’s blunders in PCB design in his repair streams; minor defects lead to fried boards.

I’m looking around for details on this and I only see stuff from the software perspective.

Speaking of which - x68000 sounds like it was built BY an FOR game developers of the time so the homebrew/doujin scene was insane.
Except … I’m thinking about about a comment Jason Scott of Archive.org made about people preserving Apple II stuff. An old guard maintaining archives like Apple Asimov had the attitude of “Yeah we got the Apple II covered. You can play choplifter and Oregon Trail” and preservationists like 4am announce new poo poo on a weekly basis, even in tyool 2024*

Which leads me to think that the doujin output on the x68000 is much higher given its workstation nature but also reliant on the same sort of 5.25 floppies and sneakernet but also an ocean of undumped media.

* https://mastodon.social/@a2_4am/111942582289828420
https://archive.org/details/TotalReplay
Seems like Total Replay is doing for the Apple II what Mega AGS did for the Amiga - gigantic browsable hard disk image archive

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I have Total Replay running on a Booti card in my Apple IIe Platinum. It's a great bundle of games. Also got other HDD images for the Booti so I can have all the Carmen games in one place, as well as some diagnostic software

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Coffee Jones posted:

Are you talking about this from an electrical engineering perspective?
I’m thinking about how Louis Rossman bitches about Apple’s blunders in PCB design in his repair streams; minor defects lead to fried boards.

I’m looking around for details on this and I only see stuff from the software perspective.

Yeah. I don't have hands on experience with one but the x68000 case is just made of red flags with the way the hardware had to be divvied up and routed. The fact that the systems have a bit of a reputation for being finnicky leans into that. Manufacturing on the line must have been a headache and a half, too.

I think the case gorgeous. I also think there's a reason people stick to boring boxes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Yeah the big issue is usually the power supply, or battery leakage on some models. I follow a bunch of Japanese retro folks on twitter, and this made me chuckle.

Appropriate because PRO-kun sounds like "broken"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I very much dream one day of owning my own PRO-kun...

But, alas, it is what it is.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah. I don't have hands on experience with one but the x68000 case is just made of red flags with the way the hardware had to be divvied up and routed. The fact that the systems have a bit of a reputation for being finnicky leans into that. Manufacturing on the line must have been a headache and a half, too.

I think the case gorgeous. I also think there's a reason people stick to boring boxes.

I've worked on a grey split-tower X68k and on a scale of taking apart an OG Xbox versus a PS2 it's definitely more on the PS2 side of difficult to access boards and weird case fitment, so I'd tend to agree. Looks cool, feels ill-thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bet those three pins are probably important huh

I spent 3 hours replacing the clock chip and then found this when I reseated the CPU again. I wonder if the pins were barely hanging on when I got the machine and then gave up when I bumped it or something

This isn’t stock for the P5-90 so I blame the previous owner

Edit: well poo poo I think that piece is some kind of socket adapter. I don’t know then

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 24, 2024