Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

holttho posted:

Purple Pig is unbelievably awesome, though I don't know if I'd categorize it as Tapas. Though that may just be splitting hairs.

I've been there three times and every single dish I've had there I have just loved.

I'd call it tapas, it's always felt like tapas. It's closer to Spanish tapas than other places I've been to around Chicago, which all seem to share the same menu. My wife and I both really like the Purple Pig atmosphere and the ability to voyage around the food menu, the wine list and the cocktail menu for several hours. Which is why we happily ended up there on our wedding night. I would like the menu to change more though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Purple Pig was cool when I was there in August on vacation. Other than that my favourite was Kuma's Corner. The death metal's a little offputting if you're not initiated, but holy gently caress do they make good burgers.

Is it standard for restaurants in Chicago to have super long waits? Guess it kinda comes with the turf of having four million people + tourists in a city, but I don't think I saw any (good) restaurant at dinner time without a wait of at least fourty five minutes, and lots were running two hour long queues which I've never seen before. Like I've lived in a million person city for most of my life and get food in Toronto once in a while so it's not like I'm from bumfuck nowhere, but it seemed to me that queues that would be considered obscene in most of the other cities I've lived in seemed pretty standard.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

attackmole posted:

Purple Pig was cool when I was there in August on vacation. Other than that my favourite was Kuma's Corner. The death metal's a little offputting if you're not initiated, but holy gently caress do they make good burgers.

Is it standard for restaurants in Chicago to have super long waits? Guess it kinda comes with the turf of having four million people + tourists in a city, but I don't think I saw any (good) restaurant at dinner time without a wait of at least fourty five minutes, and lots were running two hour long queues which I've never seen before. Like I've lived in a million person city for most of my life and get food in Toronto once in a while so it's not like I'm from bumfuck nowhere, but it seemed to me that queues that would be considered obscene in most of the other cities I've lived in seemed pretty standard.

Just the death metal? You didn't mind the grind core, black metal and doom?

Kuma's is crazy always busy, or used to be anyway, I go at the most off time I can.

Popular Places can get hour plus wait around dinner and on Fridays and Saturdays especially.

Dukket fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 9, 2014

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

The Chicago food scene is a giant circle jerk, everyone goes to and recommends the same "good" restaurants causing them to get slammed out constantly. There are a lot of good places to get a burger in Chicago that are much better than Kuma's that doesn't involve waiting in line or getting skullfucked by music, it's just that whenever someone asks Chicago burgers where everyone says Kuma's,

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

confonnit posted:

The Chicago food scene is a giant circle jerk, everyone goes to and recommends the same "good" restaurants causing them to get slammed out constantly. There are a lot of good places to get a burger in Chicago that are much better than Kuma's that doesn't involve waiting in line or getting skullfucked by music, it's just that whenever someone asks Chicago burgers where everyone says Kuma's,

A lot of people do think Kuma's is the best though and I agree. A lot of the under the radar alternatives that get mentioned, like the Bad Apple, are kind of underwhelming in comparison or are only preferred by people with specific tastes.

It doesn't help that a lot of top burger lists include out of date or bad burgers like Billy Goat or M Burger.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 9, 2014

holttho
May 21, 2007

attackmole posted:

Well, yea, Chicago is one of the biggest food cities and simply one of biggest-population cities in the nation. There will be good places you can't go unless to go there off-off-peak hours.

confonnit posted:

An informative, good post. :jerkbag:

Though, I do agree there are a lot of sycophantic joints out there. Piece pizza in Bucktown and Gene&Judes out on the west side. But at least I understand that it's the trendiness/experience that is the draw, not necessarily the food.

holttho fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 9, 2014

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Have any of you been to Fat Rice? They were closed for renovations while I was in town. :(

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

icehewk posted:

Have any of you been to Fat Rice? They were closed for renovations while I was in town. :(

The line is always too long

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

confonnit posted:

Wanna list those better burger places? Some of my secondary places are Orbit Room, Twisted Spoke, and Lockdown.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 10, 2014

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wanna list those better burger places? Some of my secondary places are Orbit Room, Twisted Spoke, and Lockdown.

Butcher and the Burger and DMK are ones I hear mentioned a lot.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Au Cheval has a drat good burger.

Princess Neurotica
Jul 31, 2008

Dukket posted:

The line is always too long

Fat Rice has started taking reservations for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Was at El Ideas last night for a fantastic meal that was a joy to eat. It's a very convivial atmosphere, people wandering around, asking questions, helping out. Pricey, but worth it. Camera didn't cope well with the low light though, but did manage to snap a picture of this:

You're spending about $180 a head just for the meal. So why get so damned drunk before the first course is even out that you're passed out for the majority of the plates?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm going to Tank Noodle (http://www.tank-noodle.com/index.php) this weekend with Sister in law, will post trip report if anyone is interested.

Also, if anyone has been there before, is there anything you would recommend?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
2 of my favorite places:

Fumare Meats
Style: Sandwich joint
Price Range: $8-15
General Info: House specialty is Montreal-style Pastrami. Probably the best pastrami sandwich I've ever had: perfect amount of fat, delicious spices, and great Rye bread. Their other sandwiches are fantastic as well. If you work in the downtown area, can't recommend this place enough for lunch. Stop by early though, the line gets crazy by noon, and they do sell out of pastrami.

Name: Maude's Liquor Bar
Website http://www.maudesliquorbar.com/
Style: French bistro food, house cocktails
Price Range: $40-70
General Info: Intensely delicious French classics like Beef Tartare and Pate Foie Gras. Their cocktails are excellent as well, quite strong but delicious. Make sure you get a reservation or the wait will be outrageous. Probably the best date spot I've been to in the city.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Eh, I can't say I particularly enjoyed the burger I had at Kuma's (Too). I thought the patty was far oversalted.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?
I've only had Kuma's Too. Which thusfar has been the best burger I've had since I moved here. Au Cheval and Lockup have been on my list for a while, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tetris Crowley posted:

I've only had Kuma's Too. Which thusfar has been the best burger I've had since I moved here. Au Cheval and Lockup have been on my list for a while, though.

Remember to order the mac and cheese at Lockdown instead of fries with your burger. You'll thank me later.

• Locked thread