Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You should just use Defender which is built in to windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also use a non-admin account, have an adblocker, leave UAC on, etc. etc. But yes, Kaspersky is garbage and should go in the garbage with Symante and McAfee.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Thanks Ants posted:

It shouldn't really have anything to scan unless it's slipped a root cert onto your machine and is MITM all SSL stuff. Which is bad and should be removed.

I'm not sure how to check for this.

Ok I managed to turn Kaspersky completely off. Restarted the computer and retested everything:

Speedtest.net: 203/199 CPU 36% Chrome is most of it
Speakeasy.net: 922/941 CPU 40-63% Chrome is all of it
Fast.com: 450 CPU 40% Chrome

Speakeasy can get the high speeds. Not sure what's up with Speedtest and Fast.com.

Thanks for the help. I had no idea Kaspersky could cause problems like that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Speedtest.net uses Flash and has trouble at higher speeds. Try the beta - http://beta.speedtest.net/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Also use a non-admin account, have an adblocker, leave UAC on, etc. etc. But yes, Kaspersky is garbage and should go in the garbage with Symante and McAfee.

I remember using Kaspersky once, then I realized it actually fucks up the NTFS filesystem of the drives it scans. Only way to fix the corrupted NTFS was to format the affected drives. What were they thinking?!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ihmemies posted:

What were they thinking?!

They will never remove our software if doing so caused all their drives to become unusable!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I remember using Kaspersky once, then I realized it actually fucks up the NTFS filesystem of the drives it scans. Only way to fix the corrupted NTFS was to format the affected drives. What were they thinking?!

I don't know, but ask my predecessor who decided to buy 10 licenses and then install precisely 1 license. On our main file server. And then rebooted it. In the middle of the day.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

This. Third-party antivirus has been a crock of extortionist poo poo for ages and was only really useful in the days of shock the monkey banner ads and pop-unders covering 70% of your screen.

Windows Defender and uBlock Origin on your browser. Congratulations, you now have a fast, safe computer that even meemaw's share and like for more prayers addiction can't gently caress up.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Travic posted:

I'm not sure how to check for this.

Ok I managed to turn Kaspersky completely off. Restarted the computer and retested everything:

Speedtest.net: 203/199 CPU 36% Chrome is most of it
Speakeasy.net: 922/941 CPU 40-63% Chrome is all of it
Fast.com: 450 CPU 40% Chrome

Speakeasy can get the high speeds. Not sure what's up with Speedtest and Fast.com.

Thanks for the help. I had no idea Kaspersky could cause problems like that.

There are so many reasons a path between you and a speedtest server won't give you a full gig. Honestly there's no reason to be going too crazy with these tests you're doing because it's fruitless. You will never get gig up down on all speed tests at the same time on a residential fibre connection.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
fast.com is awesome and doesn't use Flash, even though it obviously exists to pressure ISPs to not throttle Netflix to affect the results.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
A lot of the servers those speedtest sites use are really intended for things like 100 megabit connections and down, as they're often run off of spare bandwidth/servers. Not getting ~900 megabit speeds to them on a gigabit connection can be as simple as the server not actually being able to provide ~900 megabit uplink and downlink.

I only have a 220/12 service but I still run into problems like that, there's a few of the local servers on speedtest.net that never break 75 or 100 megabit, while others consistently go to 230-240.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok good. Things have been going better since disabling Kaspersky. I may have to head over to the Anti-virus thread and pick their brains as well. Thanks for all the help.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Not an empty quote.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, is Optimum any good as a provider in New York? My flatmate signed us up on Verizon (non-FiOS) and the service is expensive and shockingly bad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Munin posted:

Btw, is Optimum any good as a provider in New York? My flatmate signed us up on Verizon (non-FiOS) and the service is expensive and shockingly bad.

You were signed onto DSL, and that's awful. Optimum ranges from "could be worse" to "excellent" depending on exactly which location you're in, but it's always better than DSL.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I have 200 down in Brooklyn and I pretty much am getting the proper speeds. Downtime isn't too terrible either. They are pretty consistent at my dads place in NJ as well. I'd say if you can't get FIOS or something equally fast cheaper then go for it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Parents have had Optimum for practically forever and it's been pretty good.
The Optimum WiFi is actually a seriously useful benefit if you're not an unlimited data cell plan, those networks are everywhere in NY. Unlike a lot of other free wifi networks you don't have to sign in each time either, your phone can sign in automatically if you login to your account and add the phone's mac address.

If FIOS is available though I'd probably go with that, they have some cheap prices for new customers. https://slickdeals.net/f/10083332-fios-gigabit-connection-79-99-month-more-select-areas

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

THF13 posted:

Parents have had Optimum for practically forever and it's been pretty good.
The Optimum WiFi is actually a seriously useful benefit if you're not an unlimited data cell plan, those networks are everywhere in NY. Unlike a lot of other free wifi networks you don't have to sign in each time either, your phone can sign in automatically if you login to your account and add the phone's mac address.

If FIOS is available though I'd probably go with that, they have some cheap prices for new customers. https://slickdeals.net/f/10083332-fios-gigabit-connection-79-99-month-more-select-areas

Thanks. No FiOs where I am.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh boy i am so envious of you guys Gigabit internet.
Here it's an extortionate monopoly where you pay the equivalent of five hundos (plus twenty) a month. just for the internet.
The slowest FiOS speed here is 10 and that costs 68 dollarydoos.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 16, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Are your giggabits 1000/100 or 1000/1000? I can get a gigabit for 50€/mo but it's only 1000/100 :smith:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
imagine only getting 950/950 on a gigabit connection :smugjones:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
So about server network adapters vs this old bigfoot killer network card I have sitting in a drawer. Does it offload processes from the CPU as well or is it poo poo that should stay in the drawer?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So about server network adapters vs this old bigfoot killer network card I have sitting in a drawer. Does it offload processes from the CPU as well or is it poo poo that should stay in the drawer?

My understanding is that the things the KillerNIC really used to be able to speed up mostly relied on doing better prioritizing of traffic over old slow broadband connections - specifically it would throttle other network activity to try to provide optimum service for what it thought was traffic from an online game. The actual network stack processing offloads are effectively meaningless in any sort of modern multi-core system though could have some noticeable improvements when used as an upgrade in like Pentium 4 systems or older.

Otherwise, if you use it in a modern system it will perform basically exactly as well as any other Gigabit Ethernet card. So if you have one around, might as well use it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a way to get an ipv4 address? A few weeks ago my home internet (charter) started giving ipv6 and since then I've been having all kinds of stupid performance issues, so that's what I'm going to blame.

edit: I disabled ipv6 on my router - who knows if that will fix anything, the problem would have had to be with the 6/4 gateway or whatever the hell my ISP has I'd guess

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 27, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a way to get an ipv4 address? A few weeks ago my home internet (charter) started giving ipv6 and since then I've been having all kinds of stupid performance issues, so that's what I'm going to blame.

edit: I disabled ipv6 on my router - who knows if that will fix anything, the problem would have had to be with the 6/4 gateway or whatever the hell my ISP has I'd guess

ISPs don't 6to4 gateways yet, your ISP should have been issuing both v4 and v6 addresses to you. If you turn v6 back on and you stop getting a v4 address, you'll need to call tech support to get something hosed up in their systems fixed.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Charter/Spectrum's been pretty good to us but it's almost time to say goodbye. We're moving to NJ and we signed up for Optimum (formerly Cablevision). We're pretty stoked; we grew up on Cablevision. We're expecting faster speeds and at least $20 less per month compared to what we're paying now.

News 12 New Jersey :getin:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I posted about this in the usenet thread, but seeing a new post in this thread made me think to post it here...

If you have Charter they might be offering faster speeds in your area without advertising it.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, I feel the same as you about Charter.

What prompted me to call them was I found a link to this page and after putting in my address it showed 300/20 available and it showed the price as $90.

The lady I talked to didn't really seem to know much about it...she had to put me on hold and talk to a supervisor...but she got back on and said "we're adding that to your line now please continue to hold".

5 minutes later I was done and had faster speeds.

They did want to send out a tech to install a new modem and wouldn't let me order it without that. I'm sure they wanted to get me on their whole Charter-managed modem/router/wifi device, but gently caress that.

After I got the upgraded speeds I got on their online chat and cancelled the install appointment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Charter upgraded me to 100mb and never said anything

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Charter upgraded me to 100mb and never said anything

Yes, they did that to me like years ago.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Comcast just gave us a popup about how our modem isn't fast enough to handle the speeds we get (probably also because it's fallen off their supported equipment list). Seriously, now our ISPs give us pop-ups that go past adblocker? (I knew we weren't getting the full speed, there was a promo that made it faster than our 75 for 12 months).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you using their DNS servers?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Good question. Probably, since it’s a fresh install on my wife’s machine. Should figure out what the good DNS servers are now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have visions of ISP DNS servers being some dusty old Sun boxes that haven't been touched in years.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Considering all the add injection Comcast does when you use their DNS servers, I really doubt that.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Good question. Probably, since it’s a fresh install on my wife’s machine. Should figure out what the good DNS servers are now.

Can't go wrong with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's public DNS servers)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

stevewm posted:

Can't go wrong with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's public DNS servers)

Probably can. Can't imagine that traffic across those isn't cross-referenced and added to your ever growing dossier at Alphabet central.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wicaeed posted:

Considering all the add injection Comcast does when you use their DNS servers, I really doubt that.

They do that? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

redeyes posted:

They do that? Huh.

It's exceptionally evil:

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/66c7sv/comcast_is_using_javascript_injection_to_popup/

• Locked thread