Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

computer parts posted:

Good enough for Netflix. v:shobon:v

I was getting worried I'd have the worst results! Phew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets

BurgerQuest posted:

No you most likely are not the one with the worst results

We are supposed to be hooked up to fiber but the incompetent lady managing the building didn't get around to it despite having the OK from the owner's since April or May of this year. It would'nt even cost us anything to get the fiber installed.
:bang:

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Nope. I was sitting at 1.10Mbps upload/0.3 download for months and was overjoyed when this happened this week.

Rural Canada. :smithicide:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BurgerQuest posted:

Up until a few months ago I just had a 3Mbit line too! :downs:

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

I pay $62/month for 35/35 FiOS from Frontier (internet only, no phone or TV).

Frontier has notoriously bad customer service, but the internet service has been solid for the 2+ years I have been on it. So long as I keep paying them I don't have to deal with the customer service.

Edit: Well gently caress me I jinxed myself. Frontier seems to be having issues today. Only about half of websites seems to work right now.

sbyers77 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 3, 2013

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002

I pay about $45/month (299 Swedish crowns) for 100/10. I used to have 100/100 for several years, but then I figured I did not really need that much upload and went down a tier. I could get 1000 Mbit if I wanted to, for about $120/month, but really, what's the point?

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us

Gooble Gobble fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 9, 2014

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Fuckin' Australia

E: I live in a lovely place that gets lovely internet access. Pretty sure my phone gets three times this speed in the same room.
E2: And I pay $60 a month for this poo poo internet. [100GB downloads and 100GB uploads] :suicide:

Guni fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 3, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

At least you guys have gun control

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Something awful 2013!

I'm stuck in a san diego apartment firmly in the clutches of Time warner. The options are insanely overpriced Time warner or dish network.

Jimb fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 3, 2013

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

I pay about $50 a month for this. Funny thing is we bought a house last year and ISP was obviously a big factor in choosing where we bought, but this year the location we moved from got a federal grant to install fiber optic.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Let's see what $40 a month gets you in sunny Orange County, shall we?

I can't even imagine what it might be like to have 10+ Mb/s rates. I bet you guys can watch Netflix and play online at the same time, can't you?

EDIT: Just saw my grade. Not an F... :gbsmith:

EkardNT fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 3, 2013

Teddray
Apr 24, 2005

My only weaknesses are meteorites and eating utensils.

Mu Zeta posted:

eat poo poo!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

WOW it's like I'm in GBS!

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

EkardNT posted:

I bet you guys can watch Netflix and play online at the same time, can't you?

Mine is :smith:

Seriously wish I could (a) watch netflix and (b) watch anything whilst playing a game.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

WOOOO! Go Los Angeles! Let's have our internet connections match our traffic!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My apartment internet sucks. 3 units and I'm the only one home right now.

SO MUCH NAT

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 172.16.0.1 (172.16.0.1) 1.353 ms 1.206 ms 1.122 ms
2 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1) 2.244 ms
192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 1.565 ms 1.499 ms
3 adsl-xx-xx-xx-xx..dsl.sbcglobal.net

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

EkardNT posted:

Let's see what $40 a month gets you in sunny Orange County, shall we?

I can't even imagine what it might be like to have 10+ Mb/s rates. I bet you guys can watch Netflix and play online at the same time, can't you?

I used to have internet like that at home. Except it was shared by 5 people. And the ping was about 80 for a server a mile away.

Why is US/Canada internet so lovely?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

I used to have internet like that at home. Except it was shared by 5 people. And the ping was about 80 for a server a mile away.

Why is US/Canada internet so lovely?

Capitalism mixed with politicians thinking that bandwidth is a natural resource that will "RUN OUT IF WE DO NOT CONTROL IT" because the largest ISP's are feeding that bullshit information to the politicians. At least, that's how it is in Canada.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
Holy poo poo you Americans get charged out the rear end for internet access.

£10/$15 a month no data limits

I was on less than 2Mb/s before this for the last 3 years for about the same price, I can upgrade to 80/20 for about twice the price I pay now but this is fast enough for me for the moment.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Charter Internet

National Grade: A- (82%)
Global Grade: A (87%)

Its supposed to be a 100Mb connection and it looks like it is, only it *seems* I share the speed between my DL and upload...

I have three netflix boxes running almost continuously along with a couple game systems and two computers in the house. I haven't come too close to maxing it but anything in the lower tiers stuttered quite a bit.

$89.99 USD For this "service", so about 89 Cents per Mb. I pay up the rear end but I use the Internet for everything.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I used to pay $50/mo for 45/15 from Comcast, but I was somehow constantly getting 60-70 down.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Phone:

PC:

You bastards are going to make me upgrade, aren't you?

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
Sexiest ping ever!

h

Pitpit
Apr 12, 2010

Now it's my turn to be angry.

WELP. I'm paying for 250/15. Time to give Shaw a call. :argh:

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Hailing from the ghetto of West Valley City, Utah:

Yay for Gigabit on the UTOPIA Fiber Network.

$75/month

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

zennik posted:

$75/month

I'm so jealous. Is it throttled in any way?

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

I am Communist posted:

I'm so jealous. Is it throttled in any way?

No throttling at all! For residential customers, there's a 1TB transfer cap... but it's not very strictly monitored at the moment.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

~£26 a month. It's OK.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

$50 a month through Time Warner because it's either them or satellite/dialup. They do have the 30 and 50 mbps tiers in the area, but I'd be paying a lot for those speeds relative to other operators and even the highest speed tiers have the upload max out at a measly 5 mbps.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
Yet youtube craps out on me. My plan says I get 50/25.

Silvah
Aug 27, 2004
s0me

Paying for 50/5. I'm legitimately surprised this test came back as such. Maybe because it's midnight or so. I've been getting about 0.25 - 1 Mbps on downloads for the last couple of days, if it works at all. gently caress Time Warner.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
loving hell, you pricks are making me so depressed my internet is so loving terrible. :suicide:

beanofan69
Mar 26, 2005

by Ralp

My 50/25 FiOS is always up around 60/30. I'm OK with this.

zennik posted:

$75/month

:drat:

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Glasgow Kiss posted:

WOOOO! Go Los Angeles! Let's have our internet connections match our traffic!

Same

An upside is that maybe we aren't paid attention to as much as the people with these huge fuckoff FiOS speeds

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

50 bucks a month can't complain.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

$65/mo and I really feel like that's too high. I'd like to switch but it's either Comcast or some 1.5mbps/768kbps DSL from CenturyLink (the late 90s called, they want their DSL speeds back. People don't actually use this in 2013 do they?). The best part is that Frontier constantly sends me mail and puts fliers on my door saying FiOS in my area but when I call or check the website they say I'm out of their coverage area. I live less than 10 miles away from their CO in the area.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 5, 2013

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Not bad for a small island in the middle of the Pacific. That's what I keep telling myself anyways. I miss mainland internet speeds sometimes though.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I'm supposed to have FiOS Quantum 50/25 but my download speed is fluctuating wildly from 48Mb/s to 1Mb/s and I feel like this has something to do with Verizon's notoriously lovely ActionTec router/modem combos. I can barely download Youtube videos, and that's only if I let them sit for 5-10 minutes. Highly disappointed and I really wish I could swap in my own modem or router for better performance.

Oops, forgot the Speedtest. I just reset my router to default settings so this is my result:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Paco de Suave posted:

Not bad for a small island in the middle of the Pacific. That's what I keep telling myself anyways. I miss mainland internet speeds sometimes though.

What kind of speeds/ping do you get to mainland speed test servers?

• Locked thread