Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What's wrong with DSL? It's the same speed I had with TWC (actually will be quite a bit faster in practice). Ping will almost certainly improve as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

TWC chat.

What's that? You're moving and would like to transfer your service to a new address? And you'd like to schedule the setup three weeks in advance?

Well okay then, we'll go ahead and disconnect your current service right now. See you in a few weeks! :v:

:psyboom:

I think getting bought by Comcast might actually be an improvement.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm pretty sure DSL stands for Dick Sucking Lips.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

revmoo posted:

What's wrong with DSL? It's the same speed I had with TWC (actually will be quite a bit faster in practice). Ping will almost certainly improve as well.

DSL being anywhere close in speed to cable in the US means it's either some of the best DSL out there or the worst cable. In most areas the fastest DSL offered officially matches a low-to-mid tier of cable, but DSL has never once in my experience (around 50 locations across at least a half dozen carriers) provided the rated speed where cable generally does.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

wolrah posted:

DSL being anywhere close in speed to cable in the US means it's either some of the best DSL out there or the worst cable. In most areas the fastest DSL offered officially matches a low-to-mid tier of cable, but DSL has never once in my experience (around 50 locations across at least a half dozen carriers) provided the rated speed where cable generally does.

I'm getting 18mb for DSL and the cable was 15 (bumping to 20 soon I believe). The 2mb difference might as well not even exist because cable at least in my area is always slower than advertised. I'm running some server stuff on it so I might end up bumping it to the 24mb plan. I'm 1500 feet from the actual CO (wire length) so I should have pretty solid service.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Just moved to the DC area and life is good! (I think I'm paying about $59 a month for this, from Comcast... for the same price in Houston I was getting 12-15mbps down and 3 up)

Veritas fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 9, 2014

m3monster
Jan 3, 2009

I pay $90 for 50/3 That test is through a proxy and VPN. The last time I ran without them I scored like 48/1.5 3ms. Dallas metroplex.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

It may not look abysmal but it also randomly drops multiple times a day, requiring modem/router resets :suicide:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 11, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Just upgraded. Not bad for four downstreams and one upstream. Hopefully upstream bonding is implemented soon, but i ain't complainin'. We barely used the 2Mb we had before so I doubt we'll be testing this connection very much. :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Getting my DSL installed currently, are there any things I can do to optimize for ping? I don't care how much throughput I have to trade. My LAN is gigabit with a iptables router and I'm getting service run to the pole and a brand new line run from the pole to my house. Anything else I can do to minimize latency?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

revmoo posted:

Getting my DSL installed currently, are there any things I can do to optimize for ping? I don't care how much throughput I have to trade. My LAN is gigabit with a iptables router and I'm getting service run to the pole and a brand new line run from the pole to my house. Anything else I can do to minimize latency?

Linux router you say?

Shape using HTB at 90-95% of your connection speed (without "powerboost" shenanigans) and use qdisc fq_codel, which will keep latency down even during heavy utilization. The 5-10% bandwidth sacrifice is necessary to ensure the ISP's equipment isn't buffering, but it's worth it. I recommend reading about bufferbloat and CoDel.

Here's a script to run at startup which will configure the shaping and fq_codel queue management. Tweak the config knobs for your connection, which are set for my 30/3 cable.

Test by continuously pinging your ISP's gateway while running a speed test. Compare results with and without the shaping. It's magical :magical:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Super duper helpful, exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

revmoo posted:

http://www.leatrix.com/leatrix-latency-fix

What about this:

Leatrix Latency Fix will reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a program which will modify TCPAckFrequency.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Overall bill is close to $200, but.. lots of TV stuff, DVRs, premium channels, land line, etc. I'm paying for 75/35.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Auckland, New Zealand, VDSL, $99NZ/mo 500GB monthly cap, fully naked (no tv, no landline, just a VDSL only connection)

Speed is just whatever the VDSL standard can handle (think the current profiles go up to about 70/10) best effort depending on how lovely your home wiring is, how close you are to an exchange/cabinet, and whether your exchange/cabinet is backed by fibre. Lucky for me I only have about 100-200M of copper until I hit a fibre backed VDSL cabinet

If my line profile is feeling happy I can get up to 65mbit but get too many errors, so the VDSL exchange tends to drop me to a lower speed profile, I'm currently synced at 60/10

NZers tend to hate on Telecom as an ISP (largest & oldest telco and all that, with a bit of a monopolization history) but in my experience they by far and away have the most consistent low latency/browsing/downloading experience all around the clock compared to other ISPs, doesn't matter whether it's school holidays at 7pm on a Sunday, other ISPs tend to crumble at that point, especially with international bandwidth

Speedtest to Sydney:

Other ISPs can only dream of getting international speeds like that, let alone local

More representative of intl. speeds going to LA close to one of NZ's international cable termination points

Can't wait for fibre to the home, my ISP does unlimited 100/50 fibre for $139NZ/mo for those that can get it, it'll be a couple more years yet until there's a lot more coverage in my city

I'm happy. Thank gently caress for regulated lines!

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

ShaunO posted:

Auckland, New Zealand, VDSL, $99NZ/mo 500GB monthly cap, fully naked (no tv, no landline, just a VDSL only connection)

That's actually not a bad deal and something I could live with, which is not something I thought I'd ever say about NZ internet. When I lived there i think we paid about the same price for 10mb telstra cable with a 40gb cap.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

sanchez posted:

That's actually not a bad deal and something I could live with, which is not something I thought I'd ever say about NZ internet. When I lived there i think we paid about the same price for 10mb telstra cable with a 40gb cap.

Yup it's actually mostly palatable now, especially now that it's actually consistent and reliable and able to get those speeds all the time

Most ISPs are also now trending to unlimited data on these top end plans, hell, even a power company can offer unlimited 100/50 fibre for $130NZ/mo - it's a good time for NZ internet

Since you've been gone, Telstra has been bought out by Vodafone, so VF now run the cable network (TCL were still the only company that ran coaxial). They now offer unlimited cable on 130/10 speeds for $109NZ/mo, with no landline or TV required. Unfortunately VF are probably bottom of the barrel in terms of actually getting the speeds they offer, especially on their cable network :( but you could still easily pull TB's a month

ShaunO fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 15, 2014

thingul
Mar 2, 2005

Just upgraded from 8/0,5 mbit adsl to fiber, it feels like a new world.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

More New Zealand related stuff

Chorus (the main fibre & copper infrastructure provider in NZ, and also the governments choice to roll out the fibre to the home network) has completely done away with the entry level 30mbit fibre plan and bumped the minimum up to 100mbit (100mbit was the goal set by the government to have in every home) - so soon you won't be able to get any fibre connection less than 100/20 - this is sold wholesale to every ISP at a regulated price of $40NZ/month (approx $35USD/month)

http://www.nbr.co.nz/opinion/chorus-re-engages-isps-offering-1000-customers-double-speed-ufb-fibre

quote:

Today's cheapest fibre plans offer 30Mbit/s speed (or very roughly three times the speed of DSL copper line broadband). Chorus wholesales the plans for $37.50/month.

100Mbit/s will become the new entry-level plan for $40 a month — a monthly price that will increase by $1 every year every year until 2020.

And Chorus will now provide a 200Mbit/s plan, double the speed of the fastest residential plans today.

With that, they are now offering 200mbit plans wholesale to ISPs, $55nzd for 200/20, $60nzd for 200/100 and $65nzd for 200/200 - these are fully uncapped for the ISP and it's up the ISP leasing these lines to actually provide domestic & international bandwidth over it.

You can see a full table of wholesale line leasing options that the ISP's get here:

With that, Chorus also announced they're implementing new core switches http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...ture-2014-05-14 which will pave the way for 10gbit, 100gbit and even 400gbit when the standards allow.

quote:

The 7950 XRS shatters current density norms with up to 80 100GE and/or 800 10GE ports in a single 19-inch rack and can double this capacity in a dual-chassis, back-to-back system configuration. The 7950 XRS is designed to scale to 40 Tb/s in a single chassis with future expansion to 240 Tb/s system forwarding capacity in a multichassis configuration.

Also in the previous article, the HD Boost ADSL/VDSL stuff is basically just a service level guarantee to ensure even when all customers in 1 area are streaming HD content, Chorus will still guarantee their infrastructure will handle the bandwidth required. It's still up to the ISP's themselves to ensure they have enough bandwidth and their core can handle it - with so much competition (literally anyone with switching gear can buy off Chorus), providers that don't have the bandwidth to cope will fail very quickly in favour of those that do.

It's a strange time for NZ internet and great to see it come so far so quickly with the regulated carrier environment and the government initiative to ensure homes get a world class internet connection.. :gizz: :gizz:

ShaunO fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 18, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess it goes quite nicely with trying to further encourage the tech sector there, Xero are pushing the recruitment from abroad thing quite heavily along with the Wellington govt.

Makes a change from the :britain: approach to 'Tech City', where they have some soundbites, a photo opportunity, pay a succession of different people lots of money to run the scheme, and do absolutely nothing about the availability of decent connections in the area so people are stuck on ADSL.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It's always fun to see how behind we are in the US. Ah well. I'm still pretty happy with a 50/25 connection at a reasonable price.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really can't wait to move and get back on Verizon. I'm on TWC now because the fiber went bad in places around the complex for Verizon and it was going to take months to complete because every single upstairs apartment has a separate attic. TWC is almost as bad, it goes out multiple times a day. I've had TWC replace the coax in my apartment, replace the line out to the box outside,and really everything I can think of. :smith:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ugh, moving 5 miles away and now I have to switch to an ISP that has comparable speeds but has data caps. The fact that just watching Netflix in HD could put me over the cap annoys me to no end.

With 4k coming soon and more and more people getting Netflix accounts I expect the caps to be raised (250gb atm) to something decent for people other than grandma.

Goodbye TWC :( I'll miss you.

Is there any hope compression (particularly video) will be getting better anytime soon?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
EDIT: NM figured this shiz out.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 23, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Ugh, moving 5 miles away and now I have to switch to an ISP that has comparable speeds but has data caps. The fact that just watching Netflix in HD could put me over the cap annoys me to no end.

With 4k coming soon and more and more people getting Netflix accounts I expect the caps to be raised (250gb atm) to something decent for people other than grandma.

Goodbye TWC :( I'll miss you.

Is there any hope compression (particularly video) will be getting better anytime soon?

H.265 is going to become mainstream in the coming years, but it won't be enough to stop increasing bandwidth demands.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just configured Unbound for DNS caching on my local network. Holy poo poo! Highly recommended!

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

revmoo posted:

Just configured Unbound for DNS caching on my local network. Holy poo poo! Highly recommended!

What do you use for your router? pfsense?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Shorewall/iptables. Shorewall kicks rear end, you can setup regular NAT/port forwarding in like ten minutes. I just switched ISPs and added 5 static addresses and it took all of 15 minutes to setup. In fact, I didn't even have to make any changes to the Shorewall config at all, just had to use the same NIC.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So does Unbound cache locally? I'm pretty sure my router does some form of local DNS caching, although I'm sure it's not anywhere near as fancy.

Is it a lot faster than whatever was built into the firewall/routing software?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Built into iptables? Uhh no.

It can be setup easily to cache locally. It seems pretty fast to me, certainly browsing is improved.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I am the 1%. :smug:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

xergm posted:

I hate you soo much right now. . . I'm a Wichita goon so service is not completely terrible, but last I knew this poo poo hole state was trying to ban allowing any other form of internet in an area where an ISP is already in place. I will be extremely impressed if Google expands any outside of KC.

Check out these awesome prices from my hometown ISP. The ISP is in Ulysses KS but services a whole bunch of towns within like a hundred mile radius so good luck stalking me assholes.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Ouch. That's about what AT&T offers in the area. They're just not even trying.

I had Time Warner for about 6 months before the install and probably called them every other month due to a down line. I can't same Time Warner's trying either, besides stepping up their ads.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible that I had a faulty NIC that was just spamming the hell out of my network? I got a new computer a couple days ago and I haven't had a single internet outage. Prior to this, it was an every day thing. This persisted through Time Warner replacing the cabling outside, the modem, the cable inside, etc.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I pay TWC like $70 for this:

Next week I'm moving to SF and will be paying Comcast half as much for the same, apparently.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

xergm posted:

Did you just get installed? What's your fiberhood?

My deadline was May 15th. Two days later I got an email saying "Congratulations! See you in a few months when we're ready to install."

I am quickly discovering in these 2-3 months the myriad reasons I hate Time Warner Cable. :smithicide:

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Super awesome when it works. I pay 40 some odd/month [and it includes rental of a modem+router - the base is 39], which is brain-warpingly good. Less awesome are the transient episodes of low speed, high latency, and packet loss that I cannot seem to isolate and pin down.

The transient issue is bad enough that I would consider switching, but there's nobody else to switch to, unless I dump cable for DSL. I'd be paying the same amount for less than half the speed, and I've had even more variable speed issues with DSL [Very raely during the entire time that I had DSL did I ever get the speed I was provisioned for], so that's a non-starter at this point. Oddly, I think Hughesnet may be an option at my apartment complex. I don't know who'd actually be stupid enough to do that though.

Edit: We were finalists for Google Fiber at one point, but we never got it. Now, they seem to have no intention of moving into our area. Considering how much of a hardon area governments seem to have about all this "Silicon Prairie" bullshit, you'd think they'd be on the ball.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 25, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eonwe posted:

Is it possible that I had a faulty NIC that was just spamming the hell out of my network? I got a new computer a couple days ago and I haven't had a single internet outage. Prior to this, it was an every day thing. This persisted through Time Warner replacing the cabling outside, the modem, the cable inside, etc.

It is possible.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Cenodoxus posted:

Did you just get installed? What's your fiberhood?

My deadline was May 15th. Two days later I got an email saying "Congratulations! See you in a few months when we're ready to install."

I am quickly discovering in these 2-3 months the myriad reasons I hate Time Warner Cable. :smithicide:

I've had it since December actually. I moved into the Indian Creek and Linden Hills Fiberhood last June and signed up then.
They started construction October and put in some underground fiber in a few spots and didn't get around to hooking up the lines on the poles behind me around October-November.
I still haven't quite gotten used to the feeling of buying something off Steam and having it ready to go a few minutes later.

Not sure how long I'm staying at my current place though. Actually looking to buy a house in a year maybe and I'm hoping they'll keep having periodic openings or they open it up completely once most of the major Fiberhood lines are in.

xergm fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Hey, those of you lucky enough to have Google Fiber come to town, how long did it take? I'm in Atlanta and they're on "Step 2 - Develop detailed plans." I need to get static IPs and get off of the data caps so I'm looking at a Comcast Business line in the meantime, but their termination penalties are harsh.

• Locked thread