Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Phiberoptik posted:

You think you have it bad? Try Canada.

Australia is about to jump in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My apartment internet sucks. 3 units and I'm the only one home right now.

SO MUCH NAT

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 172.16.0.1 (172.16.0.1) 1.353 ms 1.206 ms 1.122 ms
2 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1) 2.244 ms
192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 1.565 ms 1.499 ms
3 adsl-xx-xx-xx-xx..dsl.sbcglobal.net

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone else with poo poo-slow internet ever consider just spinning up a VM somewhere and then VNC'ing into that and using it as a remote workstation?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Glasgow Kiss posted:

WOOOO! Go Los Angeles! Let's have our internet connections match our traffic!

LA dreams of gigabit everywhere in the city.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/11/bigger-than-google-fiber-la-plans-citywide-gigabit-for-homes-and-businesses/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Finally got cable installed. Nothing fancy but it's so much loving faster than the DSL that's included with the apartment. At least now I can use it for a backup internet connection :haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

One of the first posts was "move to the US northwest if you want a good connection." Well, don't move too far north. In Anchorage Alaska I pay $110 a month for 18Mbps/1.5Mbps with a 150,00GB cap that I run over every month. Hooray! That's what you get when you only have one real internet provider in town and they just so happen to be evil. I might talk my neighbor into splitting the fastest plan of 100Mbps/5Mbps with 500GB cap but it's over $200 a month.

Oh, but we're getting "fiber" soon. Uh, 2015. Also no mention of speeds, caps, or pricing yet. But fiber!

gently caress you GCI.

Oh come on you live in Alaska.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My local Starbucks finally got upgraded to Google wifi from the 1.5mb T1 or whatever the gently caress they had from Wayport.

It's not Google fiber or anything, just the local cable company.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Left of the Dial posted:

I am so ready to move out of this apartment building. The joys of complimentary WiFi! Might be worth a chuckle for you guys with excellent internet speed.

That's about what I get, and my apartment building is ACROSS THE STREET FROM AT&T's main offices in my city. COME ON JUST STRING SOME FIBER ACROSS THE WAY

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a way to get internet providers to bill at 95 percentile like a hosting provider would?

It seems like they all want to bill for max speed. With our local fiber company there's 10mb, 20mb, 40mb, 60mb. We might only average 10mb all day but we'd like the ability to burst to 60mb without paying triple the amount each month.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

https://fast.com

SpeedTest site by and specifically for NetFlix

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a VPN thread?

I'm using a SOCKS proxy hosted through a $5/month Vultr VPS right now - but it's kind of annoying that I'm getting blocked by more and more websites. Suggestions for a different service? I'm guessing any VPS company is going to have these problems. First it was just sites like Ticketmaster but now it's government sites and all kinds of poo poo - probably just banning bots etc which I understand.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Spin up a couple torrents

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a way to get an ipv4 address? A few weeks ago my home internet (charter) started giving ipv6 and since then I've been having all kinds of stupid performance issues, so that's what I'm going to blame.

edit: I disabled ipv6 on my router - who knows if that will fix anything, the problem would have had to be with the 6/4 gateway or whatever the hell my ISP has I'd guess

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Charter upgraded me to 100mb and never said anything

• Locked thread