Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chakron posted:

I get 100/100 for $30 a month, no contract. The solution to all ISP issues is to move to the American Northwest, apparently.

Google Fiber?
In Portland the best bet is Verizon FIOS but their coverage areas are really weird.

I pay 60 a month 25/15 but in reality it's more like 5/wet fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Selklubber posted:

:smug::toot::smug:
Before I moved i had 2 Mb/s.

I just squirted a little bit.
America has the worst loving speed for how rich and big we are.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm switching from Comcast to CenturyLink tomorrow. Got a good deal and it comes with PRISM TV (not that I will use it.

Comcast gives me up to 250 MBp/s but it gets throttled really bad most nights around 7pm when everyone else gets home.
Century is giving me a 40 fiber line for a little less money but it's not a shared pipe. In all honesty, I don't need blazing speed because I'm okay waiting a bit for a game to download or whatever. I have books to read.

Anyone have experience with CenturyLink fiber and anything I should look out for?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The tech came out, saw how bizarre my very old house was at and just sighed.

We talked for an hour about how they could set it up, I talked to one of their HQ techs about the service and decided to cancel it.
I didn't want the poor guy crawling across insulation on joists just because the salesman was wrong about what the setup would entail.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thermopyle posted:

The guy is paid to do work and he didn't want to do the work so he convinced you to cancel the job.

Incorrect but thanks for insulting my intelligence.
It ultimately came down to me running the cost vs. service against my current plan. Plus the potential damage caused to a rental house owned by a grumpy old man.

I called Comcast, let them know that I now have options to switch and they gave me a good deal.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gothmog1065 posted:

Tech probably got to his house and was like "Um, we're going to have to add $500 in labor charges for all your wall fishes, crawlspaces and other crap".

Not that he added the charges but the potential money I would have to spend if he damaged the house. I have insurance but my landlord is a prickly pear about it. It would have been a lot more drilling and whatnot than the salesman had let on.
It's hard to describe but my house is very oddly shaped with few walls that go directly to the exterior.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I didn't think I would have to defend my position in the first place. I was just following up on my first post to say that I didn't go with that company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rakthar posted:

No I'm sorry this is total crap. The guy didn't want to do the job and talked up a bunch of FUD to get you to back off. Damaged the house? Holy moly he ran every scare scenario by you.

Indeed, what if he burned it down during the installation? Think of the hassle. Is an install really worth that?

You seem hell-bent on convincing me that I got duped. The tech was very friendly and ran through every possibility to get it installed at it was me that brought up concerns about damage. I could detail every minute of the experience but that would be boring.

Again, this is not at all why I came to this thread so I'm going to back out now so you guys can move on.

• Locked thread