Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Propaganda Hour posted:

One of the first posts was "move to the US northwest if you want a good connection." Well, don't move too far north. In Anchorage Alaska I pay $110 a month for 18Mbps/1.5Mbps with a 150,00GB cap that I run over every month. Hooray! That's what you get when you only have one real internet provider in town and they just so happen to be evil. I might talk my neighbor into splitting the fastest plan of 100Mbps/5Mbps with 500GB cap but it's over $200 a month.

Oh, but we're getting "fiber" soon. Uh, 2015. Also no mention of speeds, caps, or pricing yet. But fiber!

gently caress you GCI.

That must be a typo.

I've posted in the Canada thread a bit but might as well add to this:
I'm with TekSavvy in Canada
45/4Mbps with unlimited bandwidth at $99 (or $56 for 300GB/m)

I'm very jealous of all you with >10Mbps upload.

Don't let that fool you into thinking we have decent internet up here though. My work has 3 sites, Toronto, Mississauga and one outside a small town.

Small town can get a max of 5/1Mbps Wireless, this is reasonable considering the location, though we usually only average 3Mbps. Sometimes it goes down to 0.50Mbps and recently we had 2 solid days of 0.02Mbps. We were told we could upgrade from 3G to 4G and get 10/1Mbps for the same price, but we'd get a max of 100GB/m and after that the speed would just drop to 0.125Mbps. They came back and offered us another package, same speed/price but this time it was 80GB/m then $5/GB for overages with no ability to purchase bandwidth ahead of time. This is for a business connection too. The home connections had bandwidth ranging from 5GB to 60GB. Our average seems to be around 100GB/m (20GB over would be $100/m ontop of $89 we already pay), so I told the rep to gently caress off until he sent me a real business offer.

Mississauga, in an area with hundreds of businesses gets 5/5Mbps Wireless (with 2%~ packet loss). Only other option is DSL 5/0.8Mbps

Toronto, is DOWNTOWN and they can't get more than 5/1Mbps from anyone.

gently caress Bell and Rogers.

Edit: vvvv Holy crap, I would too.

A c E fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
One of my old jobs had to do this, as they couldn't even get basic DSL service but across the street they could get a decent cable connection. It was a brand new loving building that we were in too, with business everywhere around. So we ended up getting a line at the building across the street for a small fee on top of the monthly service fee from the ISP and some decent equipment that worked amazingly well considering it was wireless and over a pretty far distance.

I'm always worried when I move I will get hosed over like this. I'm on 60/10 right now and Canada is such a crap shoot for internet. Going down to anything below 30/5 at this point would make me sad.

A c E fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 12, 2014

• Locked thread