Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Phone:

PC:

You bastards are going to make me upgrade, aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FFStudios posted:

I'm supposed to have FiOS Quantum 50/25 but my download speed is fluctuating wildly from 48Mb/s to 1Mb/s and I feel like this has something to do with Verizon's notoriously lovely ActionTec router/modem combos. I can barely download Youtube videos, and that's only if I let them sit for 5-10 minutes. Highly disappointed and I really wish I could swap in my own modem or router for better performance.

Oops, forgot the Speedtest. I just reset my router to default settings so this is my result:

You can. I have FiOS at home and use a Watchguard firewall as my router.

Assuming you don't have TV or phone through them:

• Buy whatever router you like with an Ethernet WAN port
  • Hook router directly to the RJ45 port on your ONT (you will need to take off the cover that says "user service" to get at it.)
  • Call Verizon tech support and ask them to switch your ONT from coax to Ethernet
  • Ask them to release the DHCP lease so your router can pull a new IP
  • Profit!

You can still do it if you have TV/Phone (I have TV), but the topology is a little more complex, since you need to use the ActionTec as a MoCA bridge.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16626
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

PM me if you need help setting anything up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

This is awesome because YT is so loving slow on my connection, everything else is perfect

While we're showing off, here's a screenshot showing my ludicrously overkill firewall pulling an external IP from Verizon.

My home setup is nicer than most of my customers. And Watchguard gave it to me for free. :smugdog:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 7, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

Oh boo loving hoo!

I suggest the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite for a gigabit-capable router. It has acceleration hardware which makes it actually transfer at line-rate, and retails for $99. No wireless, though, so you'll need a separate AP, but any inexpensive wireless router can serve that purpose well enough.

Ubiquiti also has a wireless AC access point. 200 bucks, I think?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

You go over 150TB every month?

That's a lot of anime torrents.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Here is Exede at my parent's house (formerly Wildblue). It was 9 / 6 when it got installed. I also have a dell tech remoted in right now.

our monthly cap is 10GB a month for I think $50 a month (unlimited bandwidth between 12 and 5)? There are higher caps available (not really higher)

Windstream is supposed to bring 6 meg DSL here this year. They built a new substation at the end of our road last year. It literally is powered up. But they won't offer it yet, and won't tell us when they plan to.

Dat ping. :catstare:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Ugh, moving 5 miles away and now I have to switch to an ISP that has comparable speeds but has data caps. The fact that just watching Netflix in HD could put me over the cap annoys me to no end.

With 4k coming soon and more and more people getting Netflix accounts I expect the caps to be raised (250gb atm) to something decent for people other than grandma.

Goodbye TWC :( I'll miss you.

Is there any hope compression (particularly video) will be getting better anytime soon?

H.265 is going to become mainstream in the coming years, but it won't be enough to stop increasing bandwidth demands.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What the gently caress, Verizon?

I appreciate the free upgrade to symmetric internet, but what's the point if I can only ever get those speeds on your speed test servers?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Verizon with bad peering links? Say it ain't so

Meanwhile I finally got 8 x 4 DOCSIS channels and after fiddling with my wireless antennas (they like to have one 90 degrees opposed to the other, it seems) I am getting pretty dang good speeds:

Not bad for a peak time over WLAN at all. The upload speed is still capped a little low relative to the download but I'm not worried - we only just started getting bonded upstream around here so some upgrades will probably be coming soon. Maybe.

Level3 is willing to run fiber to my house with a $2 installation charge if I sign up for at least 40mbps for a year. Only $2,682.74/mo! :suicide:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Cap is bumped to 900 GB this month, which is enough that I really don't feel the data crunch unless I go hog loving wild with the downloading and ultra-HD streaming. They're getting ready for 1 gbit cable plans with a 1.2-1.5 TB/month cap on them, which is kinda fair since everything has to go through like 4 undersea fiber lines to get to the rest of the world anyways.

Stop defending lovely practices that lead to 3rd world infrastructure.

These are my statistics from the last week. I'm considering upgrading to the next tier (150/150), but another $55/mo is more than I want to spend.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agreed. If you need a WAP, get a Ubiquiti.

Normal:
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ

Long Range:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H4CDF4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944579862

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A tier 1 provider like Level 3 or Cogent would probably run fiber for free if you signed a 1 year contract. They're not cheap, but if you need the bandwidth....

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

doomisland posted:

W-hat. It all depends on if there's fiber in the building, and if not where it is, what permits they need, roads to cross, etc etc I doubt they'll run it for free, especially on a 1 year contract, ESPECIALLY level3. If they have potential other customers in the building that will help too.

You can always check for yourself.

http://diapricing.level3.com/

Level 3 is willing to run to my house for free with a 1 year contract. But then again, they own a dark fiber line <50 ft from my front door.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Antillie posted:

Yeah I know. I just think the way they do their pricing is funny. At the moment I am technically paying for speed I am not getting.

I'm sure they would have happily let that continue had you not said anything. That's why I like my FiOS service - "Here's your GbE handoff from the ONT. Have fun!"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thauros posted:

I'm planning on switching from my current Internet only Comcast subscription (I'm now getting charged $83 a month for Blast and I even own my modem) to Verizon Fios now that it's available in my neighborhood and I'd probably get tv as well.

I've read conflicting reports, does Verizon charge a router rental fee? Apparently they didn't at the beginning but I've read that that might have changed. If so I'd definitely buy my own router since they're apparently available for sale. If I do buy one, which should I get?

If you get your own router and you have TV, you still need to use their router as a MoCA bridge. That's how I have mine set up, but it's not officially supported and requires you know at least a little about networking. You also need to call them and ask them to pretty-please release your DHCP lease on their end unless you clone the Verizon router's MAC address.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thauros posted:

Oh. When I read about people doing that with a google search I assumed it was people wanting to use a better quality router for Wi-Fi coverage alongside their FiOS router. I was planning on buying an official Verizon router like this one before ordering the service and hoping not to have to rent one. Is that not possible?

Oh yeah, if you're using a Verizon router it will work fine. Make sure the one you use supports the speeds you're ordering.

Also, I don't pay a monthly fee for my router, so :shrug:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rolo posted:

I have an ISP question in regards to me possibly getting sued for crazy amounts of Filez downloaded 6 months before I had rented the modem listed in the subpoena. This a good place to ask about ISP law stuff or can I get pointed in the right direction? I don't steal from the Internet and I'm not asking how to avoid getting caught.

Edit: I feel stupid for even posting this here, but I don't post about computer stuff on SA and couldn't find a good ISP questions thread.

Call a lawyer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

Finally got them MAXXXXXXXX upgrades :haw:

Upload still ain't poo poo. :cmon:

Edit:

:jeb:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 19, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Find the closest person on your street with access. Offer to straight-up pay for their internet if they are willing to split it with you.

Install a pair of these somewhere with line of sight between them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049AVWAO/

Congratulations on becoming your own WISP.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Naffer posted:

You know I see this advice from time to time, but there is absolutely no chance I would ever give someone access to internet service in my name. It's just too risky. Maybe I would feel differently with a very clear contract and if they paid for the cable in THEIR name.

Probably depends on how old and/or tech savvy the person you ask is.

Vulcan posted:

Also there's going to be an issue that requires restarting the router right during the middle of your poopsock raid night and the neighbor isn't going to be home when you call.

Get a router with SSH, scrub.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vulcan posted:

Its usually not your call when you're the one asking for favors.

I have Verizon 4G LTE Home now with overage charges through the roof because the guy who I'm bouncing a comcast internet signal from refuses to upgrade from the slowest package they offer, refuses to let me upgrade his antenna, even after I have agreed to pay the difference- let alone let me come on his property and touch the equipment.

You'd have to be buddies or meet up with a really cool dude for it to work out in reality.

I guess it depends on who you're dealing with, yeah.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

computer parts posted:

And at the other extreme, you have people who desperately want a gigabit down even though it's only useful if you have five simultaneous 4k Netflix streams going on.

A 4k Netflix stream is ~25Mbps. Gigabit is mostly useful for applications we haven't thought of yet, but require a decent population of people already able to utilize them to be viable.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like you need to upgrade to a real router.

http://routerboard.com/RB2011UiAS-IN

Alternatively,

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/edgemax/EdgeRouter_DS.pdf

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 10, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kakesu posted:

Will the 2011 actually do gigabit WAN-LAN in real-world consumer scenarios (i.e. NAT)? My 450G caps at around 300-350 Mbit with the CPU pegged at 100%, and the 2011 has a slower processor than that does.

I've been considering a 9-core Cloud Core for my gigabit fiber connection (or at least an 1100). I've also been looking at the EdgeRouter line, but we use MikroTik at work so I'm already familiar with the system.

It says it can in the performance test results at the bottom as long as you're using large packet sizes. No idea how it holds up in real life; I have a stupidly overpowered Watchguard XTM 5 series at home.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Plan Z posted:

So, I'm renting a room from a couple who refuse to use anything but DSL in their home. They pay something like at least $60/mo. for 300 kb/s downloads, mostly because it comes as part of their phone package from Verizon. If one person watches a Youtube video, nobody can do anything, much less if they stream a show on DirecTV, which makes the connection unusable (They launch the episode, then pause it while it buffers for like 20 minutes). They insist DSL is the best and everyone uses it because it "just works" even when it's down for no good reason. Meanwhile all of our neighbors have stuff like FIOS and Xfinity.

Most of that was just venting, though. Is there some kind of option for me to have fast internet without any ridiculous bandwidth caps? Would it even be possible to just call up a cable company and say "I want a cable modem for myself in this house that has already has a DSL line, even if it's for one device?" Downloading newer games off Steam is especially a nightmare. It took 36 hours total download time to get Wolfenstein: The New Order, and multiplayer PvP games are right out the window.

Nothing stopping you, as long as the people you're renting from are okay with it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jesus. I pay $150/month all fees included for 75/75 with their second highest cable package, HBO, and Showtime.

WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TCP-IP offloading NIC? Unfortunately, that's a feature mostly only offered on server-grade NICs.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-I340-T4-packaging/dp/B003A7LKOU/

• Locked thread