Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ugh, moving 5 miles away and now I have to switch to an ISP that has comparable speeds but has data caps. The fact that just watching Netflix in HD could put me over the cap annoys me to no end.

With 4k coming soon and more and more people getting Netflix accounts I expect the caps to be raised (250gb atm) to something decent for people other than grandma.

Goodbye TWC :( I'll miss you.

Is there any hope compression (particularly video) will be getting better anytime soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
When they come to a city how much area do they typically cover? Do they plan to expand to nearby cities? Because Charlotte was a candidate for Google Fiber last I checked and there are a lot of towns built around Charlotte.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 29, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Has there been any evidence of local ISPs fighting google? I could easily see my local cable community handing certain people money to keep Google and other competitors away.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ugh I'm not worried about my speed just the drat cap. Are there any smart ways to reduce my data usage besides the obvious stuff? IE: Lowering video quality of streaming services, using the Internet less in general, Using noscript/adblock, hoarding stuff on externals, downloading compressed files, etc.

I heard about a service for google chrome that is supposed to compress web traffic but it doesn't seem to work for me. I've found a few addons for firefox that block images but it doesn't allow me to whitelist certain sites. EX: I would like to block images most of the time but not on SomethingAwful.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I haven't paid too much attention to that but there is actually evidence that they're throttling Netflix right?

• Locked thread